Ask questions to Alexander Parkhomov

• Official Post

Many have already read that Russian scientist Alexander Parkhomov recently published information about a LENR reactor test, this is similar to the work of Andrea Rossi.

Today I have had contact with Parkhomov, he tells me that he can not reach lenr forum in Russia. Maybe our domain is blocked? (Edit, now working in Russia :)

Parkhomov also says that he can answer a number of questions from our users in the forum.
    Write interesting questions and we will forward some of them to him by email and then post the answears in the forum.

Use this thread.

/ David

• Official Post

Hello,

my question could have already been answered in the documents he published but my russian is too bad to find out so I would like to ask:

Did Mr. Parkhomov also measure mass spectra of the sample before and after the run and could he confirm the results shown in the Lugano report which shows an isotope shift from Li-7 to Li-6 and from Ni-58, Ni-60 and Ni-61 to Ni-62 ?

If not, I would strongly suggest somebody to do this. If Mr. Parkhomov agrees to do this or to provide a sample for such a measurement, it will be a proof that can not be denied by the scientific community.

Kind regards,
    Ettore

• Official Post

One question is about the pressure inside.
    Some propose 200bars, and some say it would leak terribly.

What did you do to ensure the cell was not leaking and what pressure seems possible, p^robable, minimum in your cell?

Beside, any answer given to scientists like Michael McKubre, after some vulgarization, would interest us...

Best regards.

• Official Post

The question about the pressure is actually a very good one.

There would be a terrible leakage if the container is porous, indeed. But if it is not porous (enough) shouldn't there be an even more terrible explosion from the physical point of view?

Consider the following:

1g of Ni and LiAlH4 inserted with a ratio ( 90 % Ni, 10% LiAlH4)

I think this implies there are (4 / (7+27+4)) * 0.1 g = 0.0105 g of Hydrogen inside corresponding to 0.0105 g / (1.6e-27 kg * 6e23) = 10.9 mol of Hydrogen.

If the temperature of the container is 1100°C = 827 K

And the volume is ,say, as a highest limit, V = (0.02 m)² * pi * 0.2 m = 2.513e-4 m³

The pressure that is stressing the container will be p = 10.9 mol * 8.314 J/(mol K) * 827 K / 2.513e-4 m³ = 2.997e8 N/m² ~= 3000 bar !!!
    (Hydrogen can be modelled as an ideal gas quite well, so the law should hold)

I am not sure what the ultimate tensile strength (uts) of Al2O3 is, but I suppose it is also a couple of hundred MPa.

Therefore, if your ceramic is not porous enough, it might explode!

However, if it is porous, be careful of the hydrogen/oxygen mixture (knallgas) that is accumulating in your lab!

Don't hurt yourself!

Maybe one should try to repeat the experiment with Li and Ni alone in the same ratio. This way we could even rule out a number of reactions that have been proposed responsible for the energy excess.

• Where does the aluminum go when the lithium aluminum hydride breaks down into lithium and hydrogen at the highest temperature. What phase is the lithium aluminum amalgam? Does it form an amalgam or do they separate when the LiAlH4 breaks down? LiAlH4 breaks down in two steps. What phases are present during that process? What is the morphology of the nickel particles you used? are they structured like Rossis? When will photographs be available?

• Official Post

--------------
    Answer by Alexander G. Parkhomov.
    Of course, the strong changes of isotopes ratio founded in Lugano represent huge interest. These changes were stored in 32 days of Rossi reactor operation. I managed to ensure functioning of the reactor in the mode of excess energy at most an hour and a half so far. It is improbable that during this time there were strong changes. Nevertheless, samples of fuel are sent for the analysis. The result will be known in some days.

• Official Post

Nevertheless, samples of fuel are sent for the analysis. The result will be known in some days.

Great, even if the chance to have something huge is minimal...
    let us say 700 times less than E-cat... but who knows.
    one of my hypotheis about the 100% transmutation observed in Lugano test is that the reaction is very quick, but does not prevent excess heat when finished... like when your barbecue get black because of soot.
    crossing my fingers.

• I wrote Dr. Parkhomov some days ago with the following questions and received a polite response that he would respond when he had time. So, below, I have added the questions I sent.

A key issue in calorimetry is calibration. The Parkhomov calorimetry is much simpler than the Lugano version; however, evaporation calorimetry is still subject to possible errors, even large ones. Parkhomov has written that he calibrated the evaporation method, but it is apparent that there may have been differences between the method of heating used in the experiment and in the calibration. Regardless of the evaporative calorimetry, an analysis of the thermometry Parkhomov also reports shows that, setting aside a period of about 15 minutes (7-8 minutes before and after the heater failed), there is very little room for excess heat. The reactor does not get hotter than would be expected from the electrical heating. Calibration, then, would be critical, and Parkhomov has not reported his calibration data.

This is similar to the problem with Lugano: a single method is used for determining excess heat, and there is no confirmation through calibration. We just learned yesterday about another attempt to demonstrate the Lugano effect (with very low XP, apparent COP about 1.1, also with heater failure, researcher being very cautious about claims), and it is likely that, around the world, there are *many* attempts under way. Those with null results will very likely not be reported, this is the famous "file-drawer effect" used (improperly) by many pseudoskeptics to disregard cold fusion results. Nevertheless, we need to be aware of it. I was *very* excited by the Parkhomov report, but when I looked carefully at the data, I remain excited by the *approach*, which looks very useful if it can be replicated, but the results as shown in the report are internally contradictory.

After I wrote those questions, and after reading experts -- friendly to cold fusion! -- state that it was impossible to seal alumina with cement, against hydrogen leakage, it has also occurred to me that Parkhomov may have not managed to seal his reactor. He reports no evidence showing that it was actually sealed. Presumably he opened it to obtain a sample of the fuel for analysis. At that point, I'd expect a vigorous release of hydrogen if it had been completely sealed. Did that happen?

I hope that the MFMP can find a way to easily and cheaply seal "fuel tubes" ready to be heated for test. There is a suggestion I've seen that the lithium-aluminum alloy formed from heating Lithal may seal the alumina. There may be other approaches. This investigation, if successful, could open the way to a vast array of parametric tests.

"Fuel tubes," if a fuel is found that works adequately, could be the basis of experimental heaters that would self-sustain, and very quickly as soon as such tubes are available. Fuel tubes, with a tested and confirmed design, create the possibility of ready replication by anyone, easily and cheaply.

I add what has become standard in posts on this: a warning that if they are actually sealed, fuel tubes will develop very high pressures and tube failure could generate shrapnel at high velocity. If the tubes are small and light, the danger is easily mitigated, *if precautions are taken.* I worry when someone, as the other researcher reported yesterday, lifts the covers and peeks at the reactor. His temperature data showed a sharp drop at that point. A rapid temperature shift could trigger tube failure.
    ----
    Dear Dr. Parkhomov

I appreciate very much your preliminary report on your investigation of possible reaction with Nickel and LiAlH4.

I am writing to request more information about this experiment. If permitted by you, I will share any response with others.

1. Can you provide the temperature data, shown in Figure 5, in machine-readable form, such as a spreadsheet? Can you provide the measured power levels used and the times when power was changed? (You provide 300 W, 394 W, and 498 W, but not the earlier levels, nor any onset time except for the 394 W and 498 W levels.)

2. Can you provide the thermal mass, the weight of water in the cooling bath?

3. Do you have a temperature record for that bath? Do you have a record of the calibration of heat loss of 155 W at 100 C? Do you know when, in the reported experiment, the water began to boil?

4. What was the appearance of steam coming from the water bath? Was there any sign of wet steam, of water splattering? Was the steam plume clear as it left the bath, or was it white steam coming out?

5. Do you have records of the calibration of that bath? Your later comment on it indicated you heated it with the device with no fuel in it. Was this a replication of the experimental setup only without fuel? Did you keep thermometric data on the device, during the calibration, as shown in Figure 5 for the experiment? Likewise, what was the power sequence and sampling times during the calibration? You stated also that calibration was done up to 1000 W input. To what temperature did the device rise at 1000 W input?

6. What was the mass of the experimental device? Can you break this down into the heating coils, the thermocouple, the alumina cylinder and plugs, and the cement? What kind of cement was used, specifically? What model of thermocouple was used?

7. What was used as insulation in the metal box? What were the dimensions of the box and where within the box was the device placed? I assumed insulation was also placed over the device.

8. What was the exact placement of the box within the cooling water vessel? How far above the bottom of the vessel was the bottom of the box?

9. The report, Figure 5, shows the cooling of the reactor after the heater burned out. It shows the temperature as going to about 20 C, by 21:20. Yet at that point, the reactor would presumably have been in the box, immersed in water at almost 100 C. Was something changed?

10. When were weight measurements taken for the water loss? How was the weight determined? What kind of scale, resolution and accuracy? Was the experiment operated sitting on a scale? (I have now seen that you added water to restore level. How was the level determined?)

11. There is an apparent error in the Table mean temperature data for the 300 W mode, it does not match Figure 5 or 6. Can you confirm the error or explain?

Thank you again for reporting your work, which is of high interest, and thank you for taking the time to look at this request.

• How many times he repeated the test ?
    Did he talk about his experiment with his collegues from university ?
    Why did he made his experiment on a couch instead laboratory from university ?
    What does he want to do after his successfull experiment ?
    Apparently FSB is not interested by his results?
    Is it a patriot ? this success can ruin russia which live from export of gas ans oil. he should keep the secret or contact secret service to make advantage for futur war against usa and nato allies who want destroy russia and china.

• Dear Alexander,

I am impressed with your testing, the more so that (as was already mentioned by previous blogger) "this success can ruin Russia which live from export of gas ans oil. " So the question is what is the response from your colleagues in Russia, if any? On my side, I would be happy to help from the theoretical point, and would like to attract your attention to a new mechanism of LENR in solids , in which Discrete Breathers play the role of a catalyzer via extreme dynamic closing of adjacent H/D atoms required for the tunneling through the Coulomb barrier. Specific combination of localized (anharmonic) and long-range (harmonic) forces is required to create a Discrete Breather, which involves hundreds of atoms. That's why it is called Breather Nano Collider (BNC). Breather Nano Collider for LENR explanation Now I am working on developing this concept taking into account correlation effects [Schrodinger (1930)-Robertson (1930)- Vysotsky (2010)] which can enlarge the required closing in a BNC from ~0.01 up to ~0.1 Angstroms, which seems to be quite a realistic value based on recent MD studies. The details of the BNC concept can be found in the paper by V. Dubinko 'Low-energy Nuclear Reactions Driven by Discrete Breathers' J. Condensed Matter Nuclear Science, 14 (2014) 87-107 http://www.iscmns.org/CMNS/publications.htm

• Official Post

about whether LENR can ruin Russia, in fact it is not being leader in LENR which can ruin Russia.
    if Russia, Norway, Venezuela, Brasil, France, USA, UK, don't embrace LENR quickly, they will be ruined.
    Norway expressed the risk that way, considering to "hedge" the risk by LENR investment.
    LENR-Cities proposal is sold as such initiative for people who will be damaged by LENR.

You can be in the boat, or out of the boat, but you cannot stop the tsunami of human creativity and ambition.

• Official Post

On question to Mr Parkhomov, is about that conference
    http://www.lenr-forum.com/foru…th-Parkhomov-on-Jan-27th/
    http://www.proatom.ru/modules.php?file=article&name=News&sid=5779
    on the 27th of january...

could you tel us more, and about the other speaker.
    Best regards.

• This is correct! Even with their heads up their asses, the pathoskeps are always right.

Yes! They are right because they are right by definition. That is, they claim to believe nothing without proof. Because it is not possible to prove anything, outside of mathematics, and we could argue about that, even if they are completely wrong, they can always say, "Until it came and bit us in the nose, there was no proof." And if you show the evidence that was available, they can say, "It was your fault we didn't understand, you did not explain it properly."

However, my personal preference would be to be wrong, rather than to have my head up my ass. It stinks in there, and the lighting is terrible. However, I suppose one can get used to anything.

You'll see. But you will not understand it.

Perhaps. Seems pretty clear to me, so far. Intoxicated by rightness. Check. Head up ass. Check.

So, looking at the blog Pathoskeptic advertises, I see a link to the Feynman Lectures. I do wonder what Pathoskeptic knows about me. He seems pretty ready to draw conclusions and state them as fact, i.e., "you will not understand."

Those lectures. I was there. I heard the famous Feynman stories directly from Feynman, sitting around Page House. Feynman's most famous saying:

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool.

By definition, a pseudoskeptic (also called a pathological skeptic) is one who attempts to apply that "first principle" to others, because he thinks they are fooling themselves. Pseudoskeptics will fall into every logical error possible, making hosts of irrelevant arguments, ignoring clear and confirmed evidence, or dismissing it with ad-hominem arguments, and all the while being completely sure of themselves.

Generally, pseudoskeptics are cowards, only going after minority positions. It's probably true that usually the minority positions are in error. The majority is usually right, on average. However, when it's wrong, it can be spectacularly wrong, and it can sometimes take a generation to untangle the resulting mess.

Genuine skeptics do not discard majority positions without strong evidence. However, they also do not jump to conclusions without evidence. Pathological skepticism would have dismissed, say, N-rays and polywater without evidence, especially the latter. Genuine skeptics reserved judgment. And in those two cases, a genuine skeptic, a scientist worthy of the name, actually tested the claim. And identified the artifact. Pseudoskeptics don't do that. They just sit with their heads in that dark place and issue bad-smelling gases.

The topic here is Parkhomov. I've spent, now, several days analyzing Parkhomov data. I could easily jump to conclusions. I don't. I do share what I've seen and what I've found in my analysis, though mostly with experts, at this point.

There are, around this field, pathological believers as well as pathological skeptics. People who jump to positive conclusions just as quickly as pathological skeptics jump to negative ones. In some cases, we may never know what actually happened in some test or some event. In others, later work makes it clear.

Pathologicial skeptics mistake a heuristic for a basic philosophical principle. The heuristic is that if a claim is extraordinary, extraordinary evidence is *required.* What's missing from that? What is missing is *what* the evidence is required *for*. In 1989, the U.S. Department of Energy was charged with the task of evaluating cold fusion for possible massive and immediate funding. They concluded that the evidence for the reported effect was not conclusive enough to warrant that funding. They were correct, as of that time. There was not "extraordinary evidence" adequate to overcome widespread assumptions of what was possible for low energy nuclear reactions. Such evidence did not appear for several years and it was years, again, before confirmation became widespread.

In 2004, the Department of Energy was asked to again review the evidence. The first review had taken months and was a massive effort, the DoE spent many millions of dollars in that period. The second review was a brief, one-day meeting. Yet the result of that review was a sea change, if one knows what to look for. It still did not recommend massive funding, and, again, I agree with that conclusion. As with the first review, they recommended further research to answer basic questions.

Some of the basic questions were already answered in the review paper, but ... the review process included no back-and-forth, no process for resolving misunderstandings, and the report clearly shows such, i.e, a crucial contradiction between what was in the review document and what the report summary says about the review document.

The reviewers were *evenly divided* on the issue of the reality of the reported heat, in spite of the misunderstanding and a still-common and entrenched view that cold fusion experiments were not replicable, and what is fundamental in the present issue is a report of anomalous heat. I happen to think there is a likely error in the particular experiment, a contradiction visible in the thermometry that leads me to think that, if there was heat, it was far less than calculated from the evaporative calorimetry. However, a pseudoskeptic does not need to actually understand the data. He is convinced in advance that this must be bogus. Basically, his opinions are just noise.

There are real skeptics who will ask useful questions.

I routinely see pseudoskeptics make blatantly false claims in supporting their positions. "Believers" also do this, but I expect more from anyone who is pretending to support "science."

• Official Post

--------------
    Answer by Alexander G. Parkhomov.
    Of course, the strong changes of isotopes ratio founded in Lugano represent huge interest. These changes were stored in 32 days of Rossi reactor operation. I managed to ensure functioning of the reactor in the mode of excess energy at most an hour and a half so far. It is improbable that during this time there were strong changes. Nevertheless, samples of fuel are sent for the analysis. The result will be known in some days.

@David and Mr. Parkhomov
    I have one more question to Mr. Parkhomov:

I suppose the problem you are speaking of is the relative sensitivity of the mass spectrometers that are available to us.

Could we repeat the experiment with a proportionally smaller amount of Ni and LiAlH4? Then the relative sensitivity of the inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometers that are available to us should be sufficient to measure changes if they occur.

Another possibility I can think of is to employ FTMS (Fourier transform ion cyclotron resonance Mass Spectrometry).

The technique is capable of measuring single ions (in principle).

Unfortunately, I cannot supply you with such a device :-(. We would have to find a collaborator.

Kind regards,
    Ettore

• Official Post

Great, even if the chance to have something huge is minimal...
    let us say 700 times less than E-cat... but who knows.
    one of my hypotheis about the 100% transmutation observed in Lugano test is that the reaction is very quick, but does not prevent excess heat when finished... like when your barbecue get black because of soot.
    crossing my fingers.

@Alain
    I think that the reactions would have ended shortly after the 32 day period. Rossi knew this.
    That's why he told Levi and Essen that the test had to end after the 32 days. He did not want them to figure out too much.

But this is not bad news!

Keep in mind that there were 1 g of Nickel / LiAlH4 inside the reactor, I think this means:

The binding energy of nucleons in the Ni-Isotopes is approximately 8 MeV.
    The binding energy of a nucleon in 7Li is approximately 5 MeV.

This means per reaction approximately 8 MeV - 5 MeV = 3 MeV are set free.
    1 g of Nickel corresponds to 0.68*0.001kg/(58*1.66*10-27kg) = 7.3x1021
    58Ni nuclei and 0.26*0.001kg/(60*1.66*10-27kg) = 2.7x1021 60Ni nuclei.

Therefore the energy which is set free by 1 g should be Etotal = 7.3x1021 * 4 * 3 * 106 * 1.6*10-19 +
    2.7 x 1021 * 2 * 3 * 106 * 1.6 * 10-19 = 1.56 x 1010 Joule

Now the total primary energy demand of the world (data from 2010) is 505 Exajoule
    or Eworld2010 = 5.05 x 1020 J

Therefore, approximately a mass of Nickel of (5.05 x 1020 J) / (1.56 x 1010) x 0.000001 t =
    33000 tons of Nickel are needed together with approximately 3300 tons of Lithium to cover the energy demand of the world for one year.

( 1.284.000 tons of natural Nickel are mined every year thus only 3 % of this amount is needed.
    Furthermore, the Nickel is not consumed it is just transformed into one isotope. For engineering applications this does not matter in any way and they could just as well use Ni-62 for their high-temperature alloys... So the Nickel that was used in the reactor could be SOLD in RETURN, REDUCING THE COST OF ENERGY FURTHER)

Keep in mind that primary energy demand includes everything. Every factory, every car and every house.

Now the price for one ton of Nickel is 14.500 US $ at the stock exchange and the price für Lithium appr.
    5000 US $.

This means we COULD in principle cover the energy demand of the world for one year for appr. 33000 * 14.500 $ + 3300 * 5000 $ = 500.000.000 US $

This is relatively NOTHING.

The european countries like UK, France and Germany spend approximately 80.000.000.000 € for themselves per year

@all

Ladies and Gentlemen:
    We have just made a lot of friends and a few enemies. Unfortunately, our large number of friends is not as powerful as our small number of enemies.

Kind regards,
    Ettore

• Official Post

Reply from Alexander

Diar David,
    On many of the posed questions I would like to have answers itself. But my opportunities as experimenter are generally settled only by demonstration of excess heat and lack of the noticeable ionizing radiation in the device which, on my representations, in general reproduces the high-temperature reactor of Rossi. Clarification of the mechanism of this surprising phenomenon and features of process in a high-temperature capsule requires the difficult equipment and work of highly skilled researchers.

The problem of a high pressure of hydrogen, of course, excites me. At a simple reasoning, after decomposition of LiAlH4 to temperature less than 200oC pressure has to increase to hundreds of bars. And it has to cause explosion, or leak of hydrogen through a pores or cracks. But there is neither explosion, nor any signs of leak. It is possible to assume that 0,01 g of the allocated hydrogen are absorbed at once by nickel of which in 100 times more, and pressure doesn't increase to catastrophic values.

About that occurs in the high-temperature capsule, it is only possible to assume so far. Possibly, the nickel mixed with melted aluminum and lithium is in the environment of hydrogen and vapors of lithium. The air rest, reacting with hydrogen, lithium and aluminum, forms small impurity of nitrogen and ammonia, and also oxides and nitrides of lithium and aluminum.

Alexander

• Official Post

Actually Nickel nano-particles are also known for their ability to absorb Hydrogen in the form of Hydrides. One can find information at the group of R. Varin at Univ. of Waterloo in Canada. Maybe he will know more. I have no clue of the field of solid state chemistry.

However, it seems that for this effect to take place the temperatures much lower, therefore this seems unlikely to be the reason for the low pressure.

I actually agree with you that the calorimetric measurements are sufficient as a reproduction of the effect but unfortunately the people that we have to convince of the reality of LENR will not be satisfied by this.

If we want LENR to be taken serious, we have to fight against the preoccupation of the scientific community, who is completely convinced that the standard model is absolutely correct and that LENR is impossible.

Right now, my contribution to this fight is that I try to inform as much of my old professors as possible about your work and also people from other universities around the globe.

We also have to fight against a few (still) powerful people who invested a lot of their money into oil and oil-related technologies. They will try to delay the introduction of LENR as far as they can and thereby they will continue to destroy our environment and let people suffer without food while they enjoy luxury.

Kind regards,
    Ettore

P.S.

If you notice in the future that I haven't been active on this forum for a couple of weeks, this probably means that I am dead. We have to fight for the kind of freedom that LENR can offer to all of us.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.