Brian Ahern taking the time to answer some interesting questions about upcoming replication attempt.
You can write well-formed questions to him in this thread.
He will try to answer as best he can. Thanks for that @brian ahern
1. What is the particles size of the Ni and LiAlH4 and purity? Ni ?? LiAlH4 = 97%
2. Are you going to use mass ratios of Ni- 0.9 gr and LiAlH4-0.1 gr? yes
3. Where are you going to order the Alumina tubes (who is the supplier?) and what will be you ceramic tube length? I understand that the ceramic tube’s dimensions are in inches?Mcmaster carr. My tube lengths will each be about 8" long
4. What about the pressure developed inside the chamber? We have no idea. As far as H2 gas,It calculates to 2700psi at 900C, but it may all get absorbed by the nickel
5. Are you just mix the powders in fume hood manually? yes
6. What kind of calorimetry are you going to use, is it mass flow with partial water phase change as Parkhomov did? If yes where the water in your system will flow to draw heat from the cell? I will start with simple thermometry. If that shows no gain, I will tyry other sources of nickel
7. Aren’t you afraid from explosion (Oxygen + Hydrogen inside a sealed cell with flammable alkali metal, Li + O2)? Yes, I am setting up inside an armored box.
8. Your ceramic chamber will be slightly smaller than Parkhomov, isn’t it? . The quartz outer tube is 10.4 cm OD
9. What is the quartz cylinder for? Are you going to wind the nichrome wire on the ceramic outside diameter and encapsulate it with the quartz? Why not using another cylinder of ceramic with the same quartz dimensions? Can’t you order ceramic cylinder in which the nichrome wire winded already in, as shown in Parkhomov’s schematic? No.
10. Are you going to handle the LiAlH4 in the fume hood with Argon or other purge of gas to reduce the concentration of air inside the fume hood? And what about the air inside the cell after loading it with the particles mixture? I have no argon to employ at my home. I will use air.
11. 5 time cycling of the Ni-LiAlH4 mixture inside the closed/sealed cell? If yes, for what period of time holding it at 700C, are you cooling in a specific profile or naturally ? I will hold at temperature for one hour and shut off power and let cool for an hour.
ee below. I will be glad to answer any and all questions.
1. The LiAlH4 is severely poisonous as well as pyrophoric. People have died from a single breath. You must operate in a hood.
2. I am just beginning. I will order cement paste from Cotronics Durapot 304
2, I will order Ni powder from Hunter Nickel Vale-255
3. I will order LiAlH4 from Alpha Aesar 25 grams, %$55.00
4. I will order alumina tubes 0.250 OD x 0188 ID
5. I will order quartz tubes to go over the alumina 10.4mm OD X 7MM ID
6. I will order 18-gauge nichrome wire from Mcmaster-Carr as the resistance wire.
This system will only go to 1100C as the quartz softens around that temperature.
The system must be cycled up and down to 700C at least 5 times to get H into the powders.
Wrap the tubes with nichrome and then cover that with a tight wrap of Zircar insulation. I will mount thermocouples on the wires with a very thin insulating sheath to avoid short circuiting the heater.
Wear face shield at all times after you have begun loading LiAlH4.