Russian is Phonetic

• http://www.dorogadomoj.com/se03abv.html

The link above is the shortest most direct aid I have found for learning the Russian Alphabet.

Quoting the page:

"Russian alphabet can be easily learned in one hour.

.. Russian alphabet is phonetic, or nearly phonetic. This means that every SOUND in Russian language has a corresponding LETTER in the alphabet. ... This means that once we learn how to pronounce Russian letters we can read all Russian. We might not understand, but we will be able to read. If we can read, we can understand already a lot.

... they use a lot of foreign words and by being able to read it, we will be able to understand what are they talking about. There is no subject called "spelling", there is no need for it. Children start reading very early. "

I hope this post will encourage Forum Readers to pick out words using their knowledge of the Russian Alphabet.

• Its very rare to find a native English speaker that is proficient in Russian language nearly to the same degree as native Russian speakers... Not sure why is that, but I guess, Russian is like Japanese - it is not for the "faint of heart" and what complicates the learning process are the inflections of the words depending on the gender (all words have gender, just like in Latin based languages) and the situation of the word in a sentence in relation to the subject, modifier, predicate etc. This is not to discourage people to learn Russian, but I'm speaking from a 30 year experience being part of both worlds, English and Russian speaking. Scientific texts are a different matter, since many of the terms are an actual transliteration of the English terms or, common Latin and Greek terms, used in science, so learning alphabet, will certainly help to get some idea about what they talk about. Here is another site for those who want to learn alphabet, it is easier than Greek, as phonetic rules on pronouncing written characters in Russian are straightforward. http://www.russianforeveryone.…ion/Alphabet/Alphabet.htm

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.