Summary: Who is actually doing a replication attempt?

• They are hollow. Whether a particular recipe for sealing produces consistent results requires trials.

Another option is kiln posts. Potters use them in kilns. Many cross-sections available. All are hollow. Not wound with wire.

Subscribe to my blog for periodic suggestions for DIY CMNS.

Consider making simple experiments to find appropriate reactor body materials and procedures. You need not invest large amounts of money. You can make a very, very small kiln from recycled parts. By making parts smaller, you can save material and time. Through careful calculation you can assess if a particular material and assembly process is workable at full scale.

Winding heating wire around test bodies can vitrify them, so kiln-less work is also possibly viable.

• For anyone wanting to put together a simple and low cost demonstration in the back shed that demonstrates the LENR effect, this is a simple experiment you can do for a few hundred US$'s.

Materials: 4 316SS lighting cover plates (100mm x50mm approx.), 1 TDP far infrared heat lamp, distilled water, a 200deg C thermometer (laser type preferably, or an oven thermometer will do), 250mA 12V power source (preferably a transformer), a hydroxide such as KOH, Ca(OH)2 or NaOH,

Method: Place 3 plates in an OH(aq) solution (say 2% by mass). Connect 1 plate to the 12v positive terminal, the other to the negative terminal. The third plate is a control. The fourth plate is let out of the solution and is a second control. Allow electrolysis to take place for 2 or 3 days. Remove plates from the solution, allow to wire dry and place all plates evenly spaced under the TDP heat lamp. Expose plates to far infrared radiation and track temperature VS time for each plate.

Results: The plate connected to the negative terminal heats up much quicker that the other 3 plates.

Discussion: Observations are expected to be due to an exothermic reaction triggered by far infrared stimulation of atomic hydrogen atoms embedded into the surface layers of this 316SS plate by electrolysis. Observations could potentially be explained by either the Mills Hydrino theory or by H/Ni fusion type reaction. Given the observed consistency of increased temperature, electron orbital resizing seems a more likely mechanism rather than a fusion type reaction.

• Simon Brink

Have you performed the experiment you outlined? How many trials have you run? Can you provide links to other people's runs of this experiment?

Thanks Simon.

I'm not aware of anyone else who has done the experiment. I did about 10 trials using a few different electrolytes, KOH, NaOH, CaOH, different periods of electrolysis, new and reusing previously used plates, etc. In just about all runs there was a noticeable temperature difference, typically 15-30 deg C during heating, and slightly less at peak. From my understanding, the chemical composition of 316ss is a key part of the story.

• I'm not aware of anyone else who has done the experiment. I did about 10 trials using a few different electrolytes, KOH, NaOH, CaOH, different periods of electrolysis, new and reusing previously used plates, etc. In just about all runs there was a noticeable temperature difference, typically 15-30 deg C during heating, and slightly less at peak. From my understanding, the chemical composition of 316ss is a key part of the story.

Thanks very much for your open discussion of this effort. Do I read the possibility that the IR absorption may be somehow enhanced in the plates thought to be exhibiting LENR? How would that be controlled for? Perhaps another way of heating those plates might answer this.

Another issue: Should not you have tested LiOH, since lithium seems to be a key component of many LENR trials?

Respectfully,
    Longview

• I remember transportable electric heaters in the U.S. that used these but it was the older styles, I wonder if you could still
    find them second hand?
    :)

• Message to Barty, David and other administrators. Please read my "Safety Warning! posted at "Replication Attempts" Wednesday May 13/2015.

Until further clarification of the issue raised, I would appreciate if that warning be elevated to "Sticky".

I welcome any comments, critiques.

As of ~8:30 PST (US) I have emailed to Peter Gluck about this subject. I emailed me356 about 2 hours earlier.

I emphasize that at this point there is no easy way to detect the presence of beryllium and particularly this isotope in this particular context. As it stands the mass difference between Be7 and Li7 appears to be not even an electron's worth (I'd be happy to be corrected on that!). The difference will likely have to be determined with older style techniques such as titrimetry, colorimetry. NMR may be useful, but I have no relevant experience to affirm or deny that.

Thanks,
    Longview

• "Results: The plate connected to the negative terminal heats up much quicker that the other 3 plates."

So far, this is a dead simple experiment. IT DOESN'T TEST FOR LENR IN ITS CURRENT CONFIGURATION, but then you didn't state that as a hypothesis.
    You'd have to eliminate, or at least differentiate, reflected from adsorbed and reradiant IR, and account for the transmission rate or gradient with the material first to second surface. A thermocouple pair is even cheaper than the laser thermometer, and enables easy data logging electronically, and you don't even have to calibrate them if you set them up as a differential pair.
    Some basic chemical scratch tests and micrography would be immensely interesting and helpful (and inexpensive).
    The laser thermometer isn't as apprpriate a tool as even a kitch-n (IT COMES UP AS A CENSORED WORD? REALLY?) thermometer (however much more precise it is) because it can't differentiate the IR at all without filtering, and it STILL can't differentiate incident from reradiant IR of the same wavelength without polarization detection- and then you're talking some substantial money for detection instrumentation.
    If you actually have excess heat (which these mods would enable you to at least qualify, if not precisely quantify), you still haven't eliminated a host of possible chemical reactions, some of which might involve H loaded into the metal surface. Do this in a decent vacuum with extremely accurate temperature measurement, and you could isolate adsorbed atoms versus ambient exposure (but you still haven't determined whether the oxide layer has any involvement (at least the O part- that may or may not be significant)). This would probably double or triple your project budget, but that's no more than it would cost to put a decent band setup, or a cheap recording studio, in the same space...
    When your experiment doesn't test your hypothesis, one or the other needs to change if you're trying to "science" (and even a good outright replication qualifies as "sciencing"), but your "Discussion" is the sort of thing that's just ammo for the knee-jerk skeptic, and drives the unconvinced analytical thinkers straight into their camp. Wild guessing can make for good hypothesizing (I do it all the time) but tends to greatly increase the effort required to test over a carefully constructed hypothesis.

• I love fooling around with all kinds of stuff in the lab, the workshop, and with my music- but I don't try to represent any of it as any kind of rigor for demonstrating a concept or supporting a theory without some very careful construction- and I'd try to pay some kind of attention to the normal methodology if I were trying to make any serious point.

• Official Post

Update first post with with China Institute of Atomic Energy (CIAE) and Physics Department of Moscow University.

What have we missed?

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.