planning stage for a replication

• Hopefully this is the case, but there is no guarantee. While LENR is another, and perhaps most important, aspect of saving the Planet and its biosphere that we're likely to see in at least my lifetime. We all know there are huge financial interests in fossil carbon energy, its marketing, distribution and consumption... That "power corrupts" still must be kept in mind.

• Уважаемый Александр Георгиевич, мне кажется самый интересный результат Ваших опытов - последние восемь секунд после разрушения нагревателя. Реакция продолжается за счет саморазогрева. Возможно, при более высоких температурах можно этот эффект получить более устойчиво. Но конструкция Росси не позволяет поднять температуру.
    У меня есть 20ти летний опыт изучения хим реакций при темпекратурах 1000-3000 градусов и давлении
    100 -1000 атмосфер при холодных стенках реактора. Буду рад поделться с Вами моим опытом.
    [email protected]
    желаю Вам успехов. Щипачев Виктор Степанович.

• Official Post

I translate with google

Dear Alexander G., I think the most interesting result of your experiences - the last eight seconds after the destruction of the heater. The reaction proceeds by self-heating. Possibly at higher temperatures to obtain the effect can more stably. But Rossi design does not allow to raise the temperature.
    I have a 20-year experience of studying chemical reactions at temperature 1000-3000 degrees and a pressure of 100 atmospheres at -1000 cold walls of the reactor. I will be glad podeltsya with you my experience.
    [email protected]
    wish you success. Shchipachev Viktor Stepanovich.

High temperature is very surprising as we imagine molten metal cannot host LENR, but maybe the active site is not in the molten metal, or can be in the liquid.

I wish success to you both.

• Liquid metal has been seen, particularly in spectacular failures and surely in the oft-reported microscopic craters in Pd experiments. My off-the-cuff recollection is that it starts in the 1920s with Peters and Paneth's, Tandberg and others' exploding wires in deuterium, and continues in the mid 1980s with the spectacular failure by melt-through in the Fleischmann & Pons pre-announcement era which they later reported anecdotally. It may be so effective that it is dangerously susceptible to going out-of-control.

Liquid metal LENR reports are prevalent enough that they may substantially undermine most "micro-crack as NAE" theories.

For me, there is the fascinating possibility that liquid metal, liquid / solid metal interfaces may allow sufficient decoupling of d- or f- orbitals from high Z nuclei to enable the electron "gas" (Fermi "sea") behavior favorably LOW in at least one vector of motion-- enough to allow high effective electron mass. Please see the recent thread here under "DeBroglie waves, Planck units, mass".

• Official Post

it undermine most theories of lattice, vacancies, or cracks.
    but if one accept that it happen also at really low temperatures It would support something that happens in solids and liquids.
    I think that NAE concept cannot be avoided, and they seems to exist in solid and resist to liquid phase at least some time, or to appear when liquid solidify even slightly.

I would rather consider that the NAE is resisting to heat.

note that craters and F&P runaway melting is not incompatible with solid-only LENR, as heat can be produced instantly and then make everything melt and vaporize once the reaction is finished.

LENR in liquid metal, solid, runaway, craters, NAE arguments, all that orient theory, but it is hard to eliminate any theory assumption.

what it seems is that

- it can happen at room temperature
    - it can happen not far from melting, maybe also at liquid metal temperature
    - it can be so fast, intense, so that it create crater, or make a hole in the table vaporizing palladium
    -> this mean the energy density is locally huge, and the power density is locally huge...
    - average power density, energy density can be low on average

this mean many things on the theory. It eliminates many easy assumptions.

• All possibly good points, Alain. A potentially fertile domain of good experiments to be certain.

Novel components for liquid metal LENR experiments:
    Metallic sodium [sodium reacts with hydrogen to give a hydride]
    Mercury [HgH is an extremely unstable gaseous hydride, but HgH2 is a stable solid]
    Mercury / sodium amalgam [might form LENR useful hydrides]
    Mercury itself is a very unusual transition metal, it forms amalgams easily with nearly any transition metals, but not with platinum or with iron.The amalgamated surface of a transition metal in some LENR contexts could be expected to frustrate the formation of microcracks and be "self-healing". This might be instructive as to the true nature of any NAE present. On the face of the issue we might expect Hg to readily inactivate any NAE based on cracks or surface morphology.
    On the other hand, Hg would be unlikely to heal any NAE that was simply some sort of island of oxidation.

• Official Post

the question you raise make me thing that maybe there is NAE, and that NAE is a high-temp object, maybe a ceramic or a super-alloy structure resisting to huge temperatures, at least few nanoseconds.
    if it is short-lived this mean it have to be frequently created however.
    if it is long-lived it can grow slowly and infrequently (more probable) from chemistry constraints, in electrolysis, in melting/solidifying alloy, in gas permeating alloys.

if this is so, this explain why it is really hard to understand and replicate.

it is as hard to understand as it is to understand how my house is heated just by looking at the the wall of the house ... few people can guess that there is simply a gas boiler in the basement, my HAE (Heat active environment), and many pipes around.

• Speaking of metallic liquids again, and my apologies to "Build it Now" or whoever the originator is over at E-cat world, in their excellent comment on the topic of Andrea Rossi's response when asked about heating an E-cat with natural gas. [And that itself is an interesting post!]

http://www.e-catworld.com/2015…-a-matter-of-simple-heat/

But here is what is said that again brings up metallic liquids, perhaps as in Alain and my brief discussion here of nanoprotrusions and later about liquid metal and its possible role, or not, in higher COP CF / LENR:
    "[W]hen you compare the fuel-vs-ash photographs of the nickel grains, what emerges in the ash has transformed from a typical carbonyl-process nickel surface morphology (ie spiky and rough, not smooth) to a smooth, sintered-appearing surface. This suggests

to me that during reactor operation, at least the surface layers of that nickel grain are in a liquid state, as evidenced by the ash photograph (page 43, particle 1 of figure 2). Have you considered this possibility?"

At the risk of boring the readers, I am compelled to return to the molten metal idea, and to its implications, for example not only against tiny cracks as the sine qua non of NAE. I again direct readers' attention to the thread here at LENR Forum on "DeBrogie waves, Planck units, mass". Once again, there is a plausible connection between liquid metal and the behavior of that metal's d- and f- orbital electrons. In a liquid form of these "transition elements" with their often partially filled orbitals, the character of the metal itself can take on unusual catalytic properties well known in the chemistry of those elements. Further the orientational decoupling of such electrons from their nuclear bases might well lead to even more unusual or anomalous electronic properties. In addition to oxides and other electron deficient regions, that might correspond to some aspect of NAE, there is the now over 60 year history of semiconductor physics, which seems always to give the desired properties to the parent element through careful addition of impurities, that is "dopants". These create "holes' in p-type semiconductors which are virtual positrons or perhaps even virtural protons, and in the n-types, creates virtual electrons or possibly even virtual anti-protons. These virtual particles can contribute to real chemistry, and by extension possibly to nuclear chemistry.

My conclusion from too much reading and not enough benchtop work, is that liquid metal substrates may allow electrons to participate in coherent activities enabled by this nuclear decoupling. The proof of such might be to find examples of superconductivity or enhanced catalysis using liquid metals or liquid / solid transition element interfaces. But, in any case, we should not shy away from thinking of metallic liquids in LENR experiments.

Liquid metal electronic decoupling can be facilitated by external magnetic and/or electrostatic fields. Key ingredients of many LENR reports.

In short, my concern for us all here is to make sure that we are not missing something only because physicists or other scientists may have neglected to look.

• Alain, I should first indicate that I have nothing against the concept of the NAE (Storms' Nuclear Active Environment). But I am seeing considerable evidence against microcracks being a consistent feature of NAE.
    In respect to your indication above that you "would rather consider that the NAE is resisting to heat."
    I believe, this may be quite compatible with a couple of features of the "deBroglie concept" I've attempted to outline earlier. That is, oxides of nearly any metal are almost always of much higher melting point, much greater rigidity, much lower electrical conductivity than the parent metal. The repeated appearance of oxides or sometimes other electron deficient materials in proximity to conventional transition metal conductors in LENR devices is a reminder of the the very low work function for electron emission, particularly of calcium oxide which is repeatedly seen in CF / LENR work, and appears to have an electron emission work function of 1.69 eV, lower than virtually any other material.

• Official Post

NAE and crack are not the same.

As I understand NAE is simply a proposal that the reaction does not happen because of a general property of the 3D lattice, 2D surface.
    The idea of NAE is that the reaction happen in an insulated structure, shielded from chemical complexity.

Cracks is one idea for the origin of the NAE

The arguments for NAE are convincing, while for cracks it is mostly missing alternatives.

Today i don't see any theory that really works, but once you integrate the dozens of very distinct phenomenon observed, the various material used or not used in each experiments, you can feel that the solution is focused on hydrogen, on geometry, and on NAE concept.
    I suspect that chemistry is only providing bricks for a geometry structure, the NAE.

now no Idea of what it is, even if a 1D structure looks the simplest.

rather than cracks I wonder if simply tubes of molten/frozen alloys, generated from cracks, craters, permeation, high current densities, melting phenomenon... I think of the bubbling lava seen around some volcanoes...

the recent SKINR article in CurrentScince talk of the triggering by singe wall carbon nanotubes... Seldon technology seems to work on that idea too. Tubercules engineered by some LENr inventor (Mizuno&Yoshida?), craters, permeation, breathing, high current , THz laser beat, gives hint in that direction...

this is speculation however.

• There have been few if any satisfactory explanations to directly overcome Coulomb in D+D or H+D or H+H models. Additionally, how to get from say 23 MeV down to a few keV is rarely explained well. For the latter, coherence is Prof. Hagelstein's possibly plausible and more recent explanation. But for the former he has demonstrated fairly convincingly that heavy electrons don't get to the mass requirement relativistically. Coherence offers some promise for Coulomb as well, but in my opinion it has by now been demonstrated that the model has to be quantum, not relativistic.

Your extensive summary [thanks] shows many phenomena co-occur with LENR. Paraphrasing your list as heat, THz radiation, liquifaction in certain domains, local or general alloying, high current density, and carbon nanotubules,,, all are highly consistent with QM mechanisms. I would add the frequent if not universal presence of oxides, the success of H2 with Ni, and the evidence for catastrophic failures at relatively low input energies is also supportive of QM mechanisms, while discounting relativistic [which have a much greater activation energies and much more tendency to self quench].

• I think this is a very important discussion. I think the central issue is
    DIVERSITY- how many kinds of LENR phenomena exists?
    People who know everything about Pd D try to convince us that there exists
    only one basic phenomenon- Storms and his theory being one example.
    Cracks, hydroton and hydrogen isotopes. I was very much against the Storms theory from its embryonic stage and I have explained in my blog papers and in messages why.

I think PdD, NiH a la Piantelli, Warm Cats and Hyperion and Hot Cats- as e climb on the scale of temperatures are all different forms, with many stages.
    Mixing them does harm. THe field neeeds a great dosis of realism and awakening.
    Peter

• Yours is a good point Peter Gluck. While it might eventually be necessary to say yes there are at least two or more fundamental mechanisms, I still hold out hope that there may be some fundamental unity-- at least a shared subset of important mechanisms. I have been using Pd examples bacause of the very large accumulation of data and phenomena in the literature. The H2 / Ni work is much newer, seems to have much higher COPs while having much less theoretical and phenomenological history with which to work.

The diversity of reported LENRs goes well beyond the two big ones we're often discussing here. I have confidence that there may well be a fundamental QM process shared by many, if not all, of those tentative CF and LENR reports that prove out during the coming years of what SHOULD be much better funding for basic research in the field.

One speculative point would be that the "hot fusion" physics that dominates the era that may just be passing, seems to have made many errors in assessing cold fusion. Are these all individual failures of theoretical and applied physics of the latter 20th century, or are they all simply the failure of many physicists to incorporate the diverse ways in which quantum mechanics (electrodynamics etc.) can surprise us?

Chemists, chemical engineers and semiconductor materials engineers have long seen the benchtop effects of quantum physics. Some physicists have too.

• Official Post

You raise a key question, like Ed, about why we don't see MeV of gamma or particles.

As I say for me the key is geometry, and this mean chemistry, crystallography... and this have to be self-building...

That no MeV is produced suggest some collective effect... two-body physics is incompatible with LENR, that is what Parks and Huizenga correctly assumed.

Widom and Storms choose very different ideas to explain that.

For electro-weak theory, energy is blocked by heavy electrons working collectively, which diffuse the energy to many particles.
    For Hydroton, theory, the hydroton slowly descend from numerous energy states from a state where two hydrogen are separated to a state when two have merged...

Presentation by Yogi Srivastava answered to many question I had (one is that energy assumed for EW theory came from evanescent wave, and that you should not compare with usual free waves)...

Hydroton theory probably need more work on the physics side, as physicist critics are not tender, but the strength of Ed is more to challenge all other theories with good questions, like about the variety of phenomenons, Iwamura X+4.k transmutations, about chemistry feasibility, BEC feasibility, energy concentration limits, incredible ability to shield gamma at 99.9999%, or to absorb neutrons at 99.9999999% ...

Conclusion that there is insulated NAE, aneutronic fusion, fusion energy dissipation by keV quanta from a quantum object, are rational... simply we need more imagination for the mechanism.

Maybe it can mix with the geometric vision of Takahashi, electroweak focus of Widom-Srivastava...

I dream of a table where all the theorist share a dinner and mix their theory, like cold fusion cooking.

LENR is the meeting of material science, quantum mechanic, and chemistry... like nanoscience.

• ^^ Nice idea, but some may be vegans and some allergic to maize....

More seriously: is Widom et al dependent on the electroweak theory? Isn't their model asking for relatively low mass/energy makeup?

The 4n and other such increments are certainly a potential hangup for simple Widom-Larson theory. If very cold neutrons like to hang around, or are stabilized in groups of 4, then perhaps not so bad.

I think we all agree we need to keep focus on the physics of small experiments, just as seems to be happening now thanks to the LENR community often seen here. Unifying the fundamental forces may or may not gain the little guys much.

Let's get over fossil fuel first, it is certainly possible even without successful LENR, but will be relatively easy with it.

• Official Post

Widom-Srivastava theory is named electroweak" by opposition to most which are based on strong force only.
    http://www.ias.ac.in/pramana/v75/p617/fulltext.pdf

note that in a way the pep fusion of Storms is also electroweak partly

for the kind of theory that may work I think that the lack of radiations, and Iwamura +4n n=123 transmutations support the idea that geometry is a key.

lack of neutron, of free neutron, push a pep , or similar hydrogens+electrons+heavy fusions...
    with a symmetrical reaction.
    symmetry allows reaction that don't produce huge single gamma, and electron allows aneutronic reaction...

now electroweak theory propose interesting phenomenons, like the SPP, and collective effects between electrons and protons at surface (or plane?).

I would like to hybridize those theories. Takahashi and his geometry propose something interesting too...

Many other theorists have interesting ideas, that need to evolve to account for more LENR situations.
    Need a big table and much food.

• I would suggest the Iwamura 4n where n=1,2,3... is also suggestive of another sort of geometry. That is free neutrons may have a tendency to form tetrahedral structures. The tetrahedron is unique among the platonic solids, in that its vertices are all equidistant from one another. In larger platonics (cube, octahedron, dodecahedron and icosahedron) the distance across the enclosing sphere is larger than the distance to the adjacent neighbors.

So rather than requiring the creation of 4n, n=1,2,3 structures de novo, more plausibly they essentially create themselves due to their inherent stability in such a grouping. Then these structures enter recipient nuclei, and perhaps even do so in "trains" so to speak. Such tetrahedra and possible groups of them might well give neutrons greater stability than their inherent ~ 8 minute half life. Tetrahedra also may provide interesting magnetic properties due to spin up / spin down pairing and the orthogonality of the remaining two neutrons. Surely the nuclear entry as groups is one plausible way to get to such changes confined to single nuclei within a large number of unaffected nuclei. It would appear improbable or even impossible for the same target nucleus to be selected in temporally independent sequences. The n=2,3 etc must happen as a coordinated sequential or even simultaneous event.

So, essentially I am suggesting a geometry of stability may contribute to a geometry of formation, which then leads to the observed Iwamura isotopic numbers.

• I might add that a predictable result of this tetrahedral neutron idea might be seen through simple centrifugation of materials presumed to contain them. They should move easily between atoms. They should acquire some considerable velocity, depending on the centrifugation g-force and the length of the acceleration path. Their acceleration there might be used to characterize them on CR-39 or other assays for low speed neutrons-- including generation of specific isotopes within defined targets.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.