History : Boeing filed a LENR patent in 1990

• Official Post

On vortex, Jones Been found a patent filed by Boeing for a cold nuclear fusion thermal generator.
    It is based on electrolysis, with boron or lithium, light water, and zeolite structures.
    the reactions are not fusion but proton absorption.

[news=65,meta][/news]

• The Zeolite structure part should get some interest, interesting structures!

Quote from wikipedia:

Nuclear industry
    Zeolites have uses in advanced reprocessing methods, where their micro-porous ability to capture some ions while allowing others to pass freely, allowing many fission products to be efficiently removed from nuclear waste and permanently trapped. Equally important are the mineral properties of zeolites. Their alumino-silicate construction is extremely durable and resistant to radiation even in porous form. Additionally, once they are loaded with trapped fission products, the zeolite-waste combination can be hot pressed into an extremely durable ceramic form, closing the pores and trapping the waste in a solid stone block. This is a waste form factor that greatly reduces its hazard compared to conventional reprocessing systems. Zeolites are also used in the management of leaks of radioactive materials. For example, in the aftermath of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster, sandbags of zeolite were dropped into the seawater near the power plant to adsorb radioactive caesium which was present in high levels.[11]

• So, who knows if anyone has replicated this Boeing invention? And how close is it to any of Piantellii's CF / LENR work? In this patent it is claimed that 11B and 6Li are operative. Curiously there is no mention of other light elements-- an interesting absence in view of the usual "range" claims for chemical patents that often extend the claims to elements or molecules with generic similarity. Letting lithium and boron be range delimiters, gives at least some isotope of beryllium. Moving over and/or down a bit in the periodic table, one might expect that carbon, silicon, sodium, aluminum and magnesium to be at least easy candidates worthy of examination. The beauty of light elements is that many of their isotopes are extremely short lived (or in some cases extremely long lived-- also good) or at least their decay series is inherently short in aggregate. Some of them are already coincidentally present in the Boeing / Momenthy system as described, but no mention at all is made of their radiological participation.

By the way: The process described is truly "fusion", just not the DD or HD or HH we often see. Here it involves protium and the specific isotopes of boron or lithium mentioned. The "absorption" of protons is to the nucleus, at least as far as I understand it.

Once again thanks AlainCo!

• Interesting that it is "withdrawn". This might be because Boeing did not want to pay the maintenance fees-- in the USA at least, these become quite costly for a large entity in the last years before expiration-- possibly combined with some concern or conclusion that it was "impossible" :sleeping: . In any case, if the patent represented any useful claims, then "expiration" now places the invention and its claims in the public domain.

I think the Boeing patent and perhaps other old patents provide an excellent free resource and starting point for inventors and replicators interested in pushing forward the basic sciences and technologies underlying CF / LENR.

Is it time for an online database summarizing the claims, inventors and general technology of such patents worldwide?

• Infringement in that case is likely moot legally, since there are surely few if any economic damages and since both sets of intellectual property are now well beyond expiration.

In those days (1990) the rules for priority in the USA were quite different than today. Now the US is more in line with the patent rules of WIPO and the EU, as I understand it.

But perhaps such an infringement on SRI explains why Boeing "withdrew" it in 1997?

Do we have SRI patent references that might show protium, zeolites and boron or lithium? In my mind these are distinct from what we generally see and hear from SRI's McKubre. But I'm just a "Beginner" :/ .....

• I'm getting back to this lenr subject after my retirement. Wonder if anything new has been reported related to a nickelous oxide superfine deposit on a fiberfrax substrate that showed a high thermal output when brought to 830 C in a hydrogen stream. Probably helium was being produced as a fusion reaction but didn't have the sensitivity needed at the time for verification. A very sensitive mass spectrometer would be needed to study the transmutations.

• Something I was working on before retirement. Didn't have a quartz tube so I used pyrex for the reactor tube. The runaway reaction melted the pyrex before I could stop the process. Something interesting going on and would like to continue when I can afford to buy the equipment. The near atomic dispersion of nickelous oxide on the fiberfrax may allow hydrogen fusion. Thankfully to an extremely small degree.

• Too "bad" the US has been "fracked" by an enormous quantity of carbonaceous crude available by fracking. It'll be a long time before alternate sources of energy will be available in the world.

For home use, with an inert gas welder, stainless steel pipe, nickelous oxide superfine suspension on fiberfrax, hydrogen with recirculation pump, turbine electric generator, resistance heated reactor for initiating 830 deg C hydrogen interaction, the basement construction of a lenr would be possible. This low energy reaction with no harmful radiation to living cells must be part of higher level planning for our benefit.

• I suspect quartz will work considerably better than pyrex. The maximum working temperature of quartz is around 1100 C. if I recall correctly, and you can push it 100 or so higher if the mechanical loads are light. But FiberFrax can exceed this, I recall one type is good to about 1500 C, and it has been suggested much higher temperatures are possible, but that is just a distant memory. I have a bunch of FiberFrax that I've held onto for 3 decades now (not easily accessed right now).

I like the idea you present, and the runaway meltdown of Pyrex is intriguing to say the least.

How did you get the nickelous oxide into or onto the FiberFrax?

Do you suspect the oxidation state of the NiO may have changed back to Ni under the reducing conditions with hot H2?

• The NiO was a suspension of the green oxide in amyl acetate/acetone with nitrocellulose binder. Ball milled to micron dimensions and soaked into the fiberFrax that had been clean hydrogen and vacuum fired at ~1000 deg C.

The green color of the fiberFrax material did not change after the meltdown. I don't suspect nickel oxidation/reduction being involved in the thermal output. X-ray fluorescence analyses did not show the presence of any new elements. Not surprising with the sensitivity of my analyzer.
    Also gas chromatography indicated that 99.9999% hydrogen went into the reactor with no change in purity.
    Very frustrating to not have instruments with sensitivity to reveal what's going on.

All I've done is confirm what others have also found, that NiO will produce energy from hydrogen when heated to 830 deg C. Probably every star out there is doing the same with protons and the mass compression effect.

• Great details. Exciting to see that. Interesting, and I think you're right that the lack of color change shows no oxidation state change, or at least not enough to shift to grey or whatever it might be.

I get from this that the "hot-cat" and its replications are actually decades behind earlier similar work. Is that a correct interpretation?

As far as "every star out there" I certainly agree fully, but I suspect George Gamow (d. 1968) might turn over in his grave at the thought.

Thanks GAR.

• Similar to the nichrome wound reactor I used.

The NiO on fiberFrax array was loaded in the core with chromel/alumel couples in differential and direct readout to monitor the energy in/out.

My results indicated that at 830 deg C the reaction becomes self sustaining and the hydrogen flow must be used to control the thermal output otherwise the NiO atomic configuration will be destroyed by thermal runaway.

Yes! hydrogen flowing over this NiO array will produce more energy out than in at the 830 deg C input point.OEL

• OEL = GAR ?

I must assume so, although the change of name is puzzling.

Anyway, the details are appreciated. I had deduced H2 flow would be good moderator. But I suspect dilution with helium or argon might also work well.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.