Safety concerns - Jean-Paul Biberian

• Ten years ago, I had an explosion in an electrolytic experiment. The cathode was a palladium tube 2mm OD, and 1.6 mm ID. The anode was a platinium wire, and the electrolyte was LiOD and D2O. It was an open cell, and I was doing mass flow calorimetry. The experiment had been running for a few weeks with increasing and decreasing input powers. A Monday morning when I opened my lab, there was glass everywhere, the cell had exploded. It was a 50 cm long 2.5 cm ID Dewar, and it had exploded. The system was not sealed. I don't know what happened. I tried later to create a D2+O2 explosion in a similar design, but the result was a firecracker style explosion. No destruction of the Dewar. Since then I stopped elctrochemistry, and if I ever go back, I will place a steel tube around the cell to protect myself.

I have been doing mass flow calorimetry in gas phase for 15 years, and my calorimeter is all stainless steel. I always work with very small amounts of materials, and increase the temperature by steps, so that I can monitor the experiment carefully. I will never go full power at once. At the moment, I am trying to duplicate Parkhomov experiment, but for safety and convenience, I use a steel tube 6mm OD and 4mm ID with .5g of Ni and .05g of LiAlH4. I increase the temperature by small steps, and it takes several days for me to reach 1000°C. That way, I can see if there is any sign of exccess heat appearing at any time. This also gives me confidence in the actual heat I measure, because, even with a mass flow calorimeter, it is necessary to make a calibration. There are always heat losses that are neither constant, nor proportional.

Regarding the chemicals, it is a question of quantities, the smallest the safest. I am not trying at this point to get a COP of 3, but 1.2 or 1.3 is sufficient for me to conclude. So this is what I am aming at.

I hope to make a contribution at the ICCF19 conference.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.