Ordering LiAlH4 (at Sigma Aldrich)

• @axil,
    Tom had something go on, but it is a bit premature to call it LENR success.
    Note that his stainless steel rod was also gainful.
    There also seems to be something causing either the power to read too high, or the resistance of his coil to read low high, so it is uncertain if the power for each test is correct or comparable from test to test.
    He is improving his system, so I suggest waiting for the resolution to some of the issues before using his method as a benchmark for decision making or theories.

• @axil,
    Tom had something go on, but it is a bit premature to call it LENR success.
    Note that his stainless steel rod was also gainful.
    There also seems to be something causing either the power to read too high, or the resistance of his coil to read low, so it is uncertain if the power for each test is correct or comparable from test to test.
    He is improving his system, so I suggest waiting for the resolution to some of the issues before using his method as a benchmark for decision making or theories.

Tom Wrote: Both of these experiments were high temp burnouts at the end.

I consider a meltdown a solid indicator of a gainful reaction.

• More to the point, we have no way of knowing if what TC bought on Ebay was actually isotopically pure Li7. Just because the seller said it was is (in my opinion) insufficient evidence.

When LookingForHeat stocks its pure Lithium 7, I trust that they will get it from American Elements. I hear that they have a good reputation.

• Quote from Alan Smith: “We have no plans to stock Li7. So no problem.”

A wise business decision. I suppose that the failure of your clients to produce a gainful LENR reaction will be good for your continuing bisiness going forward.

Shut up Axil. You're going overboard with this line of thought.

First of all, as we all know, LiAlH4 is already over 90% Li7.

Second of all, all known successful replications have been made utilizing ordinary LiAlH4 which is not enriched in Li7.

Third of all, there is no evidence whatsoever that any of Rossi's devices have ever utilized enriched Li7.

Fourthly, Me356 has been able to produce excess heat with nickel and hydrogen -- with no lithium whatsoever. He claims a COP of up to 3 with just well cleaned, vacuumed nickel and hydrogen. He claims that the addition of lithium is a "shortcut" to excess heat. He has produced excess heat with guess what brand of nickel... ordinary NON-enriched 97% purity LiAlH4 from Alfa Aesar. And no, it didn't have any super secret increased Li7 ratio. What made it perform so much better was the increased hydrogen content!

Fifth, Me357 was able to see ordinary non-enriched lithium glow brightly and produce anomalous heat even when separated from the Ni-H by centimeters. As long as there is no barrier between the NI-H and lithium, the emissions (whatever they are) produce reactions with the lithium.

Let me repeat, THERE IS ZERO EVIDENCE OR INDICATION THAT ENRICHED Li7 IS IMPORTANT!

In fact, there is a ton of evidence that ordinary Li is more than adequate.

You are a very well read and intelligent individual, Axil. Your posts are usually interesting and have a lot of ideas that should be considered seriously. But in this case you are going overboard in a BIG WAY.

• You have no reason to believe that the presence of Li6 is in any way detrimental to a reaction, or perhaps you do? Link please.

Alan, if anything in these reactions resemble that in the Lipinski UGC patent, then there may be very good reason to avoid Li6. If I recall Lipinski correctly, the Li7 gives rise to Be8, which gives nearly instant fission to two energetic alphas as an aneutronic reaction. However (and the Lipinskis neglect to mention this, to the best of my recall), Li6 [may] give Be7 with a 50 some day half-life and a different, perhaps less friendly decay regime.

• Axil,

For what it's worth Leif Holmlid uses natural hydrogen (also) and commercially available Fe2O3:K catalysts for his experiments. Maybe high isotopic purity is not that necessary.

The is a difference between the content of the material that produces the Bose condinsate, and the material that confines that condinsate in a cavity. These two classes of material should not be confused. The material that produces the Bose condinsate must be isotopically pure to the extent of as much as possible, not containing a significant amount of bose condinsate poisons (aka fermionic matter).

Lithium-6 is a fermion, and therefore a Bose condinsate poison.

MFMP bought Ni62 because they thought would be required to produce a vigorous LENR reaction. But this nickel isotope that comprises the substrate(aka the lattice) is not required for production of a vigorous LENR reaction. What must be isotopically pure is the matter that forms the Bose condinsate inside the cavity which is lithium and/or hydrogen.

• Shut up Axil. You're going overboard with this line of thought.

Second of all, all known successful replications have been made utilizing ordinary LiAlH4 which is not enriched in Li7.

LiAiH4 serves as a reaction "MODERATOR". Its purpose is to keep the reactor from melting down. Too much moderation will kill the reaction.

Third of all, there is no evidence whatsoever that any of Rossi's devices have ever utilized enriched Li7.

Yes there is evidence that Li7 is used to produce LENR fuel. The Lugano report shows the isotopic purity of Li7 to be 94% with is greater than natural proportions(92.41%). During Rossi's fuel preparation stage, pure Li7 is used. Then LiAiH4 is added as a reaction moderator which reduces the Li7 content down to 94% but that is still above natural percentages.

Fourthly, Me356 has been able to produce excess heat with nickel and hydrogen -- with no lithium whatsoever. He claims a COP of up to 3 with just well cleaned, vacuumed nickel and hydrogen. He claims that the addition of lithium is a "shortcut" to excess heat. He has produced excess heat with guess what brand of nickel... ordinary NON-enriched 97% purity LiAlH4 from Alfa Aesar. And no, it didn't have any super secret increased Li7 ratio. What made it perform so much better was the increased hydrogen content!

Natural Li7 enrichment is 92.41% not 97% as delivered Alfa Aesar. Therefore, ME356 used enriched lithium 7.

Fifth, Me357 was able to see ordinary non-enriched lithium glow brightly and produce anomalous heat even when separated from the Ni-H by centimeters. As long as there is no barrier between the NI-H and lithium, the emissions (whatever they are) produce reactions with the lithium.

Enriched Lithium 7 is used as fuel and lithium 6 is the ash product.

Let me repeat, THERE IS ZERO EVIDENCE OR INDICATION THAT ENRICHED Li7 IS IMPORTANT!

You are working against the interests of the replicators by discouraging the use of the proper reaction mechanisms.

• Hello Axil,

A few thoughts.

First of all, I doubt much lithium gets inside the nickel to form BEC. My thinking is that only hydrogen gets inside the nickel (for the most part) which produces emissions of particles (perhaps ejected hydrogen atoms or something else) that then impact the lithium (coating the surface of the nickel) to produce further nuclear reactions.

Secondly, the way LiAlH4 serves as a moderator, from what Me356 and Bob Greenyer have said, is by providing aluminum into the mix. The aluminum blocks some of the particles being emitted by the nickel from impacting the lithium.

Thirdly, Me356 never reported using enriched Li7. He used ordinary LiAlH4 (non enriched) from Alfa Aesar (97% purity of the LiAlH4 meaning that there could be 3% contaminants such as chlorine and not meaning the lithium in the LiAlH4 was enriched to 97%). He also used bits of ordinary lithium (non-enriched) wire that would glow brightly when placed near the nickel.

If the lithium in the fuel of the Lugano Device was tested to be 94% Li7 instead of 92%, then it is plausible that Rossi may have added some Li7. However, I think it is just as plausible that it was within the margin of error of their testing.

So in short:

- Lithium probably doesn't go very deep inside the nickel even to form a BEC.
    - Lithium reacts with the emissions of the nickel to produce excess energy, and probably not by forming a BEC itself.
    - Parkhomov, Stepanov, Songsheng, and others have produced excess heat using ordinary LiAlH4.
    - The likely reason for so many replications failing is the lack of HYDROGEN ABSORPTION and not the isotopic ratio of lithium.

• Regarding:"Lithium probably doesn't go very deep inside the nickel even to form a BEC."

The Lugano report shows heavy lithium 7 deposits on the surface of the fuel particles which were essentially unchanged by 180 seconds of sputter cleaning. This means that the lithium 7 were inside the surface cavities of the fuel particles and that ion bombardment had no effect on them.

See Appendix 3.

Lithium 6 on the ash particles were removed from the particles by ion cleaning. The metalized lithium 7 exited the cavities of the fuel particles during reactor operation and were free floating in the hydrogen envelope outside of the fuel particles. This why no lithium 7 was found in or on the outside of the ash particles.

• Regarding: "The likely reason for so many replications failing is the lack of HYDROGEN ABSORPTION and not the isotopic ratio of lithium."

The cause of LENR failure is the use by experimenters of impure and contaminated chemicals in their reactor experiments.

• However (and the Lipinskis neglect to mention this, to the best of my recall), Li6 [may] give Be7 with a 50 some day half-life and a different, perhaps less friendly decay regime.

Usually sweet-spots (223eV) are very isotopic sensitive. I do not expect any Li6 going to Li7 at energies below 600eV. Or did you read anything about radiation?

Regarding:"Lithium probably doesn't go very deep inside the nickel even to form a BEC."

If you read the Holmlid papers more carefully, then you will notice that a ultra vacuum is a prerequisite for the H/D(0) BEC and meisner effect.

I would run experiments with high load pressure and instantly switch to ultra low pressure by e.g. coupling the reactor with a large pre-evacuated HP Tank. There are many other hints in his paper! Just go on and read!

• Regarding: "The likely reason for so many replications failing is the lack of HYDROGEN ABSORPTION and not the isotopic ratio of lithium."

The cause of LENR failure is the use by experimenters of impure and contaminated chemicals in their reactor experiments.

I do not think this matters as much as you state, but if isotopic purity is paramount why not use alternative elements that are more likely or cheaper to be found in a pure form?

For example cesium instead of lithium, or cobalt or manganese instead of nickel. Just consult any table of nuclides and see which elements have the least number of stable isotopes.

https://www-nds.iaea.org/relnsd/vcharthtml/VChartHTML.html

• If Z + n is even then the isotope is a boson.

I do not think this matters as much as you state, but if isotopic purity is paramount why not use alternative elements that are more likely or cheaper to be found in a pure form?

Lithium 7 is a boson and pure

aluminum is a boson and pure

hydrogen is a boson and pure

Fluorine is a boson and pure (lithium 7 fluoride is a good lithium source)

Sodium and Cesium are bosons and pure.

For example cesium instead of lithium, or cobalt or manganese instead of nickel. Just consult any table of nuclides and see which elements have the least number of stable isotopes.

Nickel is a substrate which provides the cavities that are loaded with pure isotopes and produce the metalized hydrides. Nickel does not produce a metalized hydride compound. Nickel is the most resistant metal to LENR nuclear disruption which stops at Ni62, the isotope that is the end product of any nuclear reaction. Other substrate metals will work but will be less resistant to LENR reaction isotopic erosion.

• Hi Alan,

Yes, it seems likely. Based also on Wyttenbach's comments above, I suspect the Lipinski's never found it necessary to be concerned-- Li-6 may simply not participate in their reaction... even though they (at least initially) appeared to claim otherwise. The presence of Be-7 would surely not have been missed given the array of detectors at three different U.S. National Accelerator Laboratories the Lipinski's utilized.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.