me356: Reactor parameters [part 1]

• I don't know if the issue had been resolved but sometimes the older Pi's could not provide enough power through the USB port due to the limitations of the regulator on the board. You might need to use a powered USB hub if the Pyrometer draws a lot of power.

• OK, new transformer specially designed for SiC element is on the way. It should arrive in 3 weeks along with the element.

Transformer should handle at least 2kW power. So there will be no problem to achieve even 1600°C continuously with long life.

In the meantime my new kanthal a1 heater is nearly prepared for the calibration test.

• Is that an array of four or six SiC elements around the central reactor? I'm guessing that would be very expensive and maybe overkill. How is your setup planned to allow uniform heating of the reactor contents? Do you have a diagram of that setup you would share with us?

Thanks, and keep up the good efforts,
    Longview

• There will be just one element, very similar as with Kanthal A1 wire.

It is made as a tube so it can virtually replace the current heater. There is "hole" in the tube. In this element ceramic tube will be plugged with the fuel container. So the concept is still same.

I believe it will be much more efficient and can be very powerfull.

• @me356

You did purchase this device, yes? Have you managed to decode the data yet? Could you share? I did find one reference, andI think my device has a fault. Need to sort it out.

When extracting data on my /dev/ttyUSB0 I get readilly data, but in every byte the LSB is 0. The PREAMBLE should be FF FF but I get FE FE.... Likely need to return it. :/ Would just like to get your take on it.

• Thanks. :D

I had put the device into its box, preparing to send it back. I took it out, to give it one last chance and check your stuff.

Apparently, it was all about turning it off and on (removing the battery). I book this as an unique glitch on first startup. It now seem to work, and I no longer see the bit error on lsb, and at quick glance the set emissivity seem correct, FFFF preamble is there and AA as packet end. Amazing how simply things one will disregard when checking the error. in spite of half a lifetime of experience. I tried almost everything, except pulling the power....

Will not return the unit. It is a marvel for that price 8)

• Great. Actually you do not need to use battery at all. You can power the meter from your USB which is really perfect.

By the way FFFF is there because your thermocouple is not connected I believe. You can read thermocouple temperature at the same time from these 2 bytes too.

• Your TC & optical temperature measurements should answer questions proposed by Lugano criticl Thomas Clarke Jim

• I will try to compare readings between thermocouple and IR meter. It is good idea.

My new heater is prepared for the calibration.
    I am waiting for some screws, then next fueled test with little bit changed concept can begin.
    There will be no additional ceramic tube, just heater with the fuel container inside.
    Fuel container should be hermetically closed.

Fuel replacement and loading will be extremely easy, Container should be more durable.

I will try to measure temperature of the container and the heater too.

• From Lugano report me356 thanks for your descriptions of new test set up. Think freq spectrum would be nice if you can swing it?

Can't seem to load Lugano picture of PCE 830 output for your review?

• If you use a DC supply (Can be switchmode or just rough rectifier + caps), you can probably generate whatever PWM signal you like using a FET or something similar to supply the heater and just measure on the DC side to get current and voltage. That way, you don't need fancy high end power meters that can measure to the nth harmonic.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.