me356: Reactor parameters [part 1]

• I will share my source code as soon as it is finished.

With MAX6675 there is a problem, that it can't read temperatures above 1023°C. So you will need to place thermocouple away little bit or buy another decoder. I recommend MAX 31855K that can read higher temperatures but if connecting with arduino you will need 5V to 3V logic converter too. There are boards available on ebay that are suitable for arduino with this decoder and logic converter too.

At the moment I've designed PCB for IGBT driver that will replace transformer and triac board. This board will allow very high currents, high switching frequency (perfect for PWM) and precise control.
    I have not tested it yet, but it should work fine.
    This circuit is basically converting AC to DC and modulating back to "AC" with variable frequency and is protected by optocouple. Switching frequency may be up to 50kHz at least.
    It will also create huge EM pulses so it can be great for LENR I hope.

I will test this circuit later after first fueled test.

• Official Post

But I am new to Raspberry,

My boss worked with a raspberry pi. it seems to be a good old Linux.
    However I imagine that it will be harder to manage scientific measurement, than to install a webserver...
    Programming an arduino is more "root" than a raspberry...

• In case of raspberry it is great that you can make a copy of your sdcard and everybody can use your work instantly.

Also with such hardware you can make things very easily with almost zero cost. While with proprietary controllers you can't modify anything.
    Of course you have to know what to do.

• Hi me356, I think 1024 degrees will be OK for me. I am measuring the temp on the outside of the alumina, but inside I got titanium rod 4mm ID and 5.1mmOD then 316 steel 7mm ID and 8mmOD. then alumina 9.4mmID and 13 mmOD. It will be on the outside of this alumina I will measure the temp that might be 1000 degrees when the fuel is 1400 degrees.
    Got four MAX6675 with K type, and I got 2 pressure sensors one 0-200 psi and one 0-1600 psi that goes from 0.5v til 4.5 volt. I have not tested or connected the pressure gages yet. Do I need some 12 bit converter in between the wires and the arduino, or can I take it directly on the analog in with 10 bit converter? I do not need very accurate pressure, 10 bit will be fine for me at this stage.
    The Raspberry is in the mail, but I need to deside about the NOOBS 1.4 and the Coder v.9 software. What do you recommand?
    Regards
    Svein

• Thanks for the excellent link. I have used pen and paper to get a hold, but it good with a tool you can play around with. Will use 16AGW myself.

The Raspberry approarch is also great - I intend to go there too later on, but for now I will rely on "off-the-shelf" products to datalog and control. A PID for temperature control via a TRIAC is not very expensive. Also found a cheap temp logger with 4 channels with adequate specs. Have my eye on a pressure logger too, but I need to get control on the pressure transducer to use first before I decide how to do that.

Nice to see that your line is fused decently ;) I will try to keep myself safely within the limit of 10A with all things counted.

I am still some weeks away to have the setup complete, though :/ , although I am pretty close to have all necessary parts.

• Hi
    Just ordered two MAX31855, so I have the option to measure higher than 1024 degrees. There might be that the two termocuplers that will be closest to the reactor might go above 1024 degrees, so now that is taken care of. The rest of my planed spots for heat mesurments will be below 1000 degrees, so there the MAX6675 will be OK.
    I have only worked with 5v logic with the arduino. I did not get what you ment by the converson from 3v till arduinos 5v. Do I need som extra components for that? I was planing to use two resistors on the transmit pin from the arduino, so I could take out the signal at 3v and send to the MAX31855. I guess the 3 volt signal from the MAX31855 can go directly into the arduino and work just fine.

• What circuit did you ordered exactly? Arduino is working with 5V signal while new MAX31855 is only 3V tolerant so without "conversion" it can damage the IC. But there are some circuits with embedded level converter.

• http://www.ebay.com/itm/121477657196
    It is 3v or 3.3v system but it says it works with arduino duo?
    If it need only 3.3v it can be delivered from the arduino, and the signals can be redused till that level too by two resistors. Like 300 ohm and 200 ohm in series from the output pin and to ground. in the junction there will be 3v in stead of 5v.
    When the arduino get 3 volt at its input pin the switsing from "0" till "1" is at 2.5v so 3 volts will be detected as a "1".
    So I think it should work OK. I will test and report.

• Official Post

@me356 and @Longview

This looks interesting.

The cooling behaviour follows the Newton model of cooling quite well.

I determined the proportionality constant k from the data to be approximately 2.24x10-4 s-1.

With increasing thermal insulation it should become smaller and smaller and the temperature decrease after shut down of the heater should become flatter.

At some point and for a critical insulation the constant should become 0 and the reactor should keep it's temperature.

I hope you did not wait all the additional time for the reactor reach environmental temperatue. The exponential behaviour makes it take longer and longer the cooler the reactor already is.

Thinking about this, a question arises for me about the Parkhomov experiment...

Do you think Parkhomov opened his container shortly before the decrease of temperature after HAD causing the end of HAD?

I think this would explain the two temperature drops we saw in his plots:

Before the first drop the wire began to disintegrate and became thinner at critical points: therefore there was an oscillation in the temperature curve. The wire's ohmic resistance oscillated -> therefore the heating -> therefore also the temperature.

After the destruction of the wire the electrical heating had ceased. Than the temperature dropped to the critical temperature of the Rossi process.

Than I think that, causing the second drop, [lexicon]Alexander Parkhomov[/lexicon] opened the container or wanted to check what happened inside and this way decreased the degree of thermal insulation a little bit too much -> therefore the heat loss per time unit became a little bit larger than the heat per time unit generated by the Rossi process. Than the temperature dropped below the critical temperature of the Rossi process. As a consequence the Rossi reactions ceased and the temperature dropped to environmental temperature.

• To be sure that the pressure will be not very high I have implemented similar heating curve as in Parkhomov experiment.
    Especially for the first decomposition I have programmed that when 180°C is reached it will hold this temperature for one hour.
    Then it will continue increasing the temperature.

Fuelling will be performed today, while the test can hopefully start tommorow.

• Nice set up me365! Crossed fingers for a positive results. I will have a look on the calibration data.

The PID parameters could be adjusted more precisely to avoid those oscillations between 179°C and 181°C: Too much integration, not enough proportional? Put derivation constant to zero, there is not needed for derivation for this kind of set up. It may lead to oscillation problems.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.