me356: Reactor parameters [part 1]

• I am sure that stainless steel cover was only benefit for the experiment. I can't see any downside.
    I am trying to do same things as Parkhomov did.

I have results of my last experiment.

1. there was no leak - approximately 0.5bar under atmospheric pressure was still there for few days until now!
    2. reactor and heater tubes were cracked during experiment in unknown time.
    3. local overheating by failing heater does not happened. Heater wire was perfectly wounded even after the test. Resistor wounds were equidistant across the heater. But there was oval burned mark 2x4cm on the heater with melted mass that literally disintegrated resistor wire so it was vaporized with quite sharp "cuts" as when it happened in one time.
    4. fuel container was vaporized in central area while there was only small amount of the fuel inside. This leads me to believe that it leaked somehow in crack of the reactor tube. Pressure was still maintained because fuel container filled all the space exactly in alumina tube.
    5. cracks were in vertical axis in the central part of the tube so it was easy to take it apart. Between heater and main tube there was sealing, this was also next reason why fuel does not leaked completely and pressure was under 1 bar.
    6. fuel color and consistency is very different.

Here are photos: http://imgur.com/a/piX7b#0

Conclusion: reactor design was good and was able to survive much longer - maybe if the cracks does not happened.
    Meltdown was not caused by arcs as the melted area is quite big. If so, then whole melted area must be conductive or there are extremely long arcs.

• Very good images!

So the coils were outside of the broken ceramic tube we see? The coils are not pictured at all? Or are somehow in there as well?

The blob inside and the longer melted thing with it, is that mostly fused nickel or what?

• No, coil is not on the photos.
    It was on another tube, very same as in Parkhomov experiment.

I dont know what it is, but in the photo it seems as part of the fuel was dried-on ceramic's crack.
    Actually this material was on the heater tube too in the place where it cracked.

• 4. fuel container was vaporized in central area while there was only small amount of the fuel inside.

That's some more supporting evidence that the heat came from inside. (IMO)

The TC could not detect it, may be because it was placed at some good distance from the spot, and so the power could not be cut off quickly until it was too late. The only solution I could think of is to increase the mass and length of the steel tube (container) and devise a way of detecting if its about to melt, which can then trigger an emergency power cut off.

Since we can't place a TC inside the core (it will fail before such high temperature is reached), we need other ways to detect it. One way is to monitor the resistance of the steel container by sending a small current through it, and if the current falls too low (indicating resistance increase at high temp), it can trigger a relay etc to cut off the power.
    Other way is to put a fuse that breaks at a certain high temperature.

• Fuel container should be constructed for 1400°C - at least it is written in its description.
    So in this state it is very interesting.

Putting thermocouple in the central part of the heater or using pyrometer may be solution.

• That should be an additional TC at the center. It will fail much before 1400C, but can be used to trigger a power cut off, where ever it fails.
    It can also provide some additional data, like the sudden increase of heat at the center, while the heater is intact, providing even more evidence. (If runaway occurs).
    You may need an extra data logger for that.

• With regards to the Albiston piece. Interesting, and certainly correct with respect to the surface to volume ratio of any reactor. It's very important from a functional and safety standpoint to get that just right. Spheres are probably not practical at this point, but can become an ideal for down-sizing once the mechanisms are well understood.

It appears that they explicitly assume x-ray flux in LENR. That might be from "internal conversion" electrons to nucleus, known in at least one or two of the possible aneutronic modes. Who has a handle on that thinking? There are no x-rays in evidence or claimed in the Lipinski UGC patent application. Since the UGC app has lithium 6 present, there can be formation of Be 7, and hence internal beta decay to Li 7 over a 53 day T1/2--- but I have not seen any claimed gamma for that, maybe softer x-rays are there. But, surely the books say, I just don't have my isotope references at hand. [I will paste this into a Physics post at the Forum.]

• That's some more supporting evidence that the heat came from inside. (IMO)

The TC could not detect it, may be because it was placed at some good distance from the spot, and so the power could not be cut off quickly until it was too late. The only solution I could think of is to increase the mass and length of the steel tube (container) and devise a way of detecting if its about to melt, which can then trigger an emergency power cut off.

Since we can't place a TC inside the core (it will fail before such high temperature is reached), we need other ways to detect it. One way is to monitor the resistance of the steel container by sending a small current through it, and if the current falls too low (indicating resistance increase at high temp), it can trigger a relay etc to cut off the power.
    Other way is to put a fuse that breaks at a certain high temperature.

• No, coil is not on the photos.
    It was on another tube, very same as in Parkhomov experiment.

I dont know what it is, but in the photo it seems as part of the fuel was dried-on ceramic's crack.
    Actually this material was on the heater tube too in the place where it cracked.

Looking at the excellent pictures and trying to interpret them. It appears the central ceramic "reactor" tube has cracked longitudinally, and early enough in, or before, the failure that one can see the gray deposit on the fracture surfaces. Playing the devil's advocate for the moment: Could the crack have occurred, then the potential difference from one end of the coil to the other end have been shorted through the core which then became even more highly ionized and then [further] melted nickel, (lithium and aluminum) in the interior of the reactor. Perhaps making the reactor a rather short lived "discharge lamp" and further melting the ingredients within the reactor. Also quite possibly driving the temperature well beyond the break even point for excess energy production while precipitating a rapid failure of whatever else failed (which I guess you are saying was not much else).

I don't know if the central core cracks could even have accessed the potential across the coil, but if it could then at least there is something to consider.

I'm still a little fuzzy as to what exactly your structure was, and exactly what we are looking at there. I did look over the now English annotated Parkhomov diagram, and that helps some since you mentioned "like Parkhomov".

• Looking at the excellent pictures and trying to interpret them. It appears the central ceramic "reactor" tube has cracked longitudinally, and early enough in, or before, the failure that one can see the gray deposit on the fracture surfaces. Playing the devil's advocate for the moment: Could the crack have occurred, then the potential difference from one end of the coil to the other end have been shorted through the core which then became even more highly ionized and then [further] melted nickel, (lithium and aluminum) in the interior of the reactor. Perhaps making the reactor a rather short lived "discharge lamp" and further melting the ingredients within the reactor. Also quite possibly driving the temperature well beyond the break even point for excess energy production while precipitating a rapid failure of whatever else failed (which I guess you are saying was not much else).

I don't know if the central core cracks could even have accessed the potential across the coil, but if it could then at least there is something to consider.

I'm still a little fuzzy as to what exactly your structure was, and exactly what we are looking at there. I did look over the now English annotated Parkhomov diagram, and that helps some since you mentioned "like Parkhomov".

What happened during the failure is not very clear to me but your suggestion that initial cracking would've resulted in the overheating makes sense. Would it be possible to use a material for the reactor tube that retains its strength at high temperatures such as inconel or certain steel alloys (AISI 310/316 that I mentioned a few posts ago)?
    Also, the MFMP posts about avoiding water glass is interesting and hints to what could have initiated the failure. I think nickec said it well, this is like chipping at a stone wall and we're about to discover what's on the other side. :)

• Thanks for your comments!

I am thinking about Pyrometer, something like this:
    http://www.conrad-electronic.c…o-2200-C?ref=searchDetail

I think that it could eliminate any thermocouple issues. I have to check if this device allows continuous data stream to the PC so then it can be interfaced with my controller.
    Then one major problem is eliminated while Parkhomov scheme may be still untouched.

UPDATE: it seems that the pyrometer is able to stream data in realtime. Whats more, it is using Serial interface so it can be connected directly to my Raspberry Pi. If this is true, then it is perfect. No more cables :)

Also I will get SiC element to play with that should handle approx. 1700°C continuously.

My idea is to build the simplest reactor with nearly no effort that will overcome all known failures and will allow longterm running. So I can get superior performance and nothing will block to play with fuel itself.

• Excellent news!
    Thanks me356 for your ongoing experiments and determination.
    You are getting close to a breakthrough I am sure.........

I am far from a scientist, and am really just a fascinated observer who can see the importance of what you and this whole community are trying to achieve.

I definitely side with the view of being happy to fail in your experiments. For each failure provides valuable information and moves you closer to the actual success we are all looking for.
    How many times did Edison fail before actually succeeding?

Anyway well done, I can't wait for the next experiment!

• UPDATE: it seems that the pyrometer is able to stream data in realtime. Whats more, it is using Serial interface so it can be connected directly to my Raspberry Pi. If this is true, then it is perfect. No more cables

That is good to hear, although looking at the link you posted, I can't see a serial interface, I only see a USB interface. While the USB might emulate a serial interface, would the provided drivers work on a Raspberry Pi? If the chip uses a common USB to Serial interface chip, you might be in luck but it would be nice to be sure. Just an observation from someone who has :dash: with USB to serial converters.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.