me356: Reactor parameters [part 1]

• Official Post

You are definitely right, that the electrical resistance of alumina will decrease with increasing temperature. Good hint.

However I would not suggest to bring electrodes into contact with the tube in order to apply an additional current.
    If me wants to continue to use a current source (fixed current, variable voltage) this means that at the points where there is higher resistance, joule power will be larger thus we will induce thermomechanical stress at these points. temperature differences should be as small as possible in order to prevent cracks at the tube surface.

You could try to place swageloks at opposite sites of the tube and apply the electrode wires there.

However, I think the transformer that me mentioned is the much better solution. You can generate strong magnetic fields with MHz to GHz frequencies and induce vortex current inside the tube. Without any contact between trafo and reactor tube.

• However I would not suggest to bring electrodes into contact with the tube in order to apply an additional current.

You could try to place swageloks at opposite sites of the tube and apply the electrode wires there.

That might look good. But of course the Swageloks are connected to relatively cool parts of the ceramic tubing. The resistance across the whole length will likely be many megohms. With the "hot" 1000 oC + part offering only around 10 kilohms. Basically, this is not the way to apply electrical power to the reactor.

However, I think the transformer that me mentioned is the much better solution. You can generate strong magnetic fields with MHz to GHz frequencies and induce vortex current inside the tube. Without any contact between trafo and reactor tube.

But for MHz only if that is an air coil "transformer", it still is not likely at the GHz level. Curved conductors are strong radiators, sure enough. But the GHz power will likely never see the inside of the reactors, since it cannot conduct far along the wire of a curved "transformer" coil. So MHz, might be doable, if one knows the specifics of designing such electronics. Microwaves, that is say 1 GHz and up, are conducted without substantial loss by striplines, twin lead, coaxial cable and wave guides. They are not conducted by "coils". Coils immediately radiate the GHz energy--- whether any would go toward the "inside" of the curve, someone else will have to judge.

Nothing prevents a microwave "horn" from being aimed directly at the reactor. The ceramic, even when hot, is still enough of an insulator to be largely transparent to the microwave energy in its path. The contents, as long as there is sufficient length to see 1/4 wavelength, being quite conductive will likely absorb a large portion of the microwave energy. Some attention to polarization of the microwaves with respect to the longitudinal orientation of the core might be important.

Another approach would be to make the cylindrical reactor part of a microwave coaxial conductor. That is the energy would enter via a high power coaxial cable from one end, with the ceramic being a continuation of the the dielectric and the reactive core being a continuation of the central conductor. Naturally, a shield of say monel around the ceramic tube "dielectric" would act in place of the usual conductive shield in coaxial cables. The whole could be designed so the microwaves would see an impedance change on entry to the reactor and hence be effectively shunted on entering the reactor, delivering their energy (pulse, continuous etc) to the core. All dependent on good design, but experimentally accessible to amateur design using a GHz signal generator and GHz oscilloscope and perhaps attenuating probes.

• From my point of view I don't accept conductivity of ceramic tubes as reason for success replication.

As showed in Songsheng's replication there is very different construction. Fuel container is made from Nickel plate and this was attached in two ceramic rings. So theoretically current could flow from end to end of the fuel container.
    But nickel plate will be surely much better conductor than the fuel itself so the current will (if any) flow just there - not over the fuel.
    If there was really some electrical circuit through the fuel, then this flow was there all the time in higher temperatures. But nothing happened on its own. Until he started to change power level there was no excess heat. This behavior was very similar with Parkhomov experiments.

Power level change in a coils will always create magnetic field. And this happened before LENR effect was observed always. Even one sharp spike could trigger LENR if the power is high enough.

Do you know a linear induction flashlight? Even one fast shake will create charge that the light will be observed for a while.
    Do you know a FET transistors? Even very small current can cause, that you will "open the valve" and then transistor will be just opened all the time until there is input flow.

And similarly it could be with LENR triggering. But a requirements must be fulfilled. So basically the requirement could be that we have to do 2 things simultaneously and correctly.

I believe that Rossi found a signal, that is triggering LENR all the time. So then he do not have to make anything else than changing the temperature accordingly.

My conclusion is that for Hot Cat only magnetic induction is used with a proper modulation and power. This will not require Mhz or Ghz frequency at all.

• Is the purpose of high frequencies of alternating current/magnetic waves to induce lattice vibration waves through the reactants?
    Do we know what range of frequencies we're looking for?

Is it possible that ultrasound could produce similar effects? possibly combined with piezoelectric materials?
    I don't think I know exactly how this would affect the reactants but I'm simply suggesting the idea.

• With all due respect, whose points are you addressing here, me356? If you would kindly use the internal "reply" rather than the external red "reply" button, then it might be clearer who the "you" is that you refer to in your reply. Some here take great effort to break apart the post being replied to, so as to make it clear what is being addressed. I don't even know if you are responding to me (Longview) or to someone else here, and I certainly don't see exactly how your points apply as a reply to specific points made by others or to mine.Thanks

• With all due respect, whose points are you addressing here, me356? If you would kindly use the internal "reply" rather than the external red "reply" button, then it might be clearer who the "you" is that you refer to in your reply. Some here take great effort to break apart the post being replied to, so as to make it clear what is being addressed. I don't even know if you are responding to me (Longview) or to someone else here, and I certainly don't see exactly how your points apply as a reply to specific points made by others or to mine.Thanks

I am not responding to anybody particular. I am just telling what I am thinking about.
    I am sorry - I have accidently modified your message. But I have edited it back to its original form.

• From my point of view I don't accept conductivity of ceramic tubes as reason for success replication.

As showed in Songsheng's replication there is very different construction. Fuel container is made from Nickel plate and this was attached in two ceramic rings. So theoretically current could flow from end to end of the fuel container. But nickel plate will be surely much better conductor than the fuel itself so the current will (if any) flow just there - not over the fuel.

Interesting. Depending on the details, essentially no potential difference is transmitted through to the core materials. That is the metallic sleeve makes the whole container the same potential, and no differential is seen at least longitudinally inside it.

If there was really some electrical circuit through the fuel, then this flow was there all the time in higher temperatures. But nothing happened on its own. Until he started to change power level there was no excess heat. This behavior was very similar with Parkhomov experiments.

Power level change in a coils will always create magnetic field. And this happened before LENR effect was observed always. Even one sharp spike could trigger LENR if the power is high enough.

Actually, power itself will create a magnetic field. Power level change will create a moving magnetic field. Both static and moving magnetic fields can be important. In ferromagnetic metals such as nickel, a static field could serve as a catalyst by orientation effects. And the other situation, a moving magnetic field can do work, and that also may be of potential importance. Spiked triggering might be operative, but that would likely show a correlated spiked output. I don't know if we have seen that yet.

And similarly it could be with LENR triggering. But a requirements must be fulfilled. So basically the requirement could be that we have to do 2 things simultaneously and correctly.

I am certain that at least 2 things have to be done simultaneously and correctly. That is certainly true of the whole history of CF / LENR. In fact, it could be argued that more than 2 things are required. For example, in a classic F&P experiment, one has to have the potential difference across the surface of the electrode, one has to have the Pd at less than perfect purity, and that it be packed to at least 88% deuteride, one has to have certain temperature parameters satisfied, and one may have to have the presence of alkaline conditions. That is 5 things, and I have read of the addition of another one or two more that make it even more energetic or reliable.

But if I read you more carefully, perhaps you are saying 2 electromagnetic things must be done simultaneously and correctly. So for F&P that would be potential difference and what else? I suspect, from seeing other similar experiments, that a coiled electrode might be necessary, which might imply a magnetic field.
    (Or, alternatively, perhaps the coil, causes a stress on the surface structure of the electrode, forming "cracks" or other NAE type regions.) And there have been reports of phonon/magnon enhancement of the performance of what are close to F&P cells.

For a nickel hydrogen system, since AR has not been transparent, we have to guess a lot. Oscillating or moving magnetic fields could be in the mix. Sharp pulses might be required as well. Heat is clearly required, and a threshold seems to be present. Hydrogen may have to purge out the active sites on nickel. Lithium may be active participant in at least the Parkhomov types.

I believe that Rossi found a signal, that is triggering LENR all the time. So then he do not have to make anything else than changing the temperature accordingly.

My conclusion is that for Hot Cat only magnetic induction is used with a proper modulation and power. This will not require Mhz or Ghz frequency at all.

So you are saying that rather than two electromagnetic things, basically one is all that is necessary(?) "Magnetic induction" is required ? So is there a current induced in the core by the "primary" winding of the heater coil?

Whether that is exactly what you meant, it certainly brings up a very nice possibility. That is of induction heating of the core. Such would allow high heat without damage to heater coils, since the resistive element would be the core itself. The "coils" in that case would be copper conductors, or even hollow copper tubes with coolant circulating to prevent them from overheating. The oscillating magnetic field would heat the core just like a cast iron pan is heated on an induction cooktop. All the nice electronics and controls could be taken from one of those "seen on TV" induction cooking units, that range from $60 to $100 now.

Once one was using induction to heat the core, it might be easier to manipulate other variables, that is microwaves, ultrasound, laser stimulation, superimposed DC potentials and so on. The core could be suspended in a near vacuum, by say quartz threads, so that little conductive heat was lost. The outer container could be pyrex since it would not have to be in contact with the core-- it could be a vacuum jacket with aluminized or silvered surface inside the vacuum, so that it would conserve the input heat by reflection very well, making higher COPs much easier.

• Another approach would be to make the cylindrical reactor part of a microwave coaxial conductor. That is the energy would enter via a high power coaxial cable from one end, with the ceramic being a continuation of the the dielectric and the reactive core being a continuation of the central conductor.

That is how the Brillouin "Hot tube" appears to work. Look at pages 9-11 of patent application US20140332087. Nickel or another metal is sputtered or electroplated onto the inner surface of a ceramic tube. Paragraph 75 of the image descriptions states "The central portion of the core....defines the electrodes of a coaxial transmission line."

AlanG

• Official Post

In ferromagnetic metals such as nickel, a static field could serve as a catalyst by orientation effects. .

No, it can't. As we have seen, the critical temperature of the transmutations lies somewhere above 700 °C. There is absolutely no magnetization of solid state nickel at these temperatures.
    The reason why external magnetic fields do play a role is more likely due to the nuclear spin polarization of the H and Li nuclii in the external magnetic field. Spin orientation can increase or decrease the tunneling rate due to the exchange interaction potential.

• No, it can't. As we have seen, the critical temperature of the transmutations lies somewhere above 700 °C. There is absolutely no magnetization of solid state nickel at these temperatures.
    The reason why external magnetic fields do play a role is more likely due to the nuclear spin polarization of the H and Li nuclii in the external magnetic field. Spin orientation can increase or decrease the tunneling rate due to the exchange interaction potential.

Your point must be that Ni is not able to exhibit ferromagnetic behavior at high such temperatures. Fair enough. But that was not exactly what I meant. A ferromagnetic element has unique nuclear properties even above its Curie temperature. That does not necessarily prevent an external magnetic field from influencing their catalytic behavior-- as you go on to suggest above--- and which which I should have made explicit in my comment earlier. By the way, the Curie temperature for iron is 770 degrees C. I recall that Ni-Fe alloys have been reported with at least some LENR properties. I don't recall seeing Curie readings for magnetic alloys, but I bet they are out in the literature... that would be interesting data for Nd/Fe/B and SmCo, as well as Alnico.

We have seen the temperatures generally quite high (700 degrees C sounds like a reasonable low so far) in the Ni-H systems for supposed excess heat, we need to keep looking to see why that is. I would agree that "transmutations" is an excellent endpoint.... one usually NOT observed in real time in most of this work.... except Lipinski UGC (who I have repeatedly recommended to those here, with little response except from Jarovnak).

Is spin orientation the whole story there? It sounds like a good or at least interesting idea. Has someone written on that in detail? A strong applied field is likely to match the spins, or so I would imagine. Does that make the spin pairing up/up, down/down or only naturally up/down? Some other parameter might also be manipulated to further ensure spin/spin (up/down?) pairing to favor reaction i.e. catalysis. I suppose atomic hydrogens can easily flip in a magnetic field, but that a ferromagnetic is more easily constrained to assume some spin orientation, say by an applied electrostatic field, or a tuned and polarized RF signal.

Thanks for the input Majorana! I appreciate it.

• Official Post

MFMP fb page

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Here is an overview of the in-progress set-up of the equipment for non-contact long term control of reactors - currently attached to the Padua cell.It is hoped that data for the following will be available.PCE-830 power monitoringOptris Pi 160 monitoring1000 5V pulse per 1kw hour pulses in streamAmbient temp K-TypeTemperature from IR gun (outside core, outside cement)Temperature from K-Type (outside core, embedded in cement)Pulse to triacPressureCounts per minute from Geiger Counter

• Bob, check also the start of the Padua data for a zero gauge pressure reference point. The sensor has an accuracy spec of 2% of full scale, so the possible error at zero is ±32 psi. I suspect it may be showing atmospheric pressure within the error margin. You'll also have to account for any difference from the supply voltage used at Padua.

AlanG

MFMP fb page

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Here is an overview of the in-progress set-up of the equipment for non-contact long term control of reactors - currently attached to the Padua cell.It is hoped that data for the following will be available.PCE-830 power monitoringOptris Pi 160 monitoring1000 5V pulse per 1kw hour pulses in streamAmbient temp K-TypeTemperature from IR gun (outside core, outside cement)Temperature from K-Type (outside core, embedded in cement)Pulse to triacPressureCounts per minute from Geiger Counter

[/quote]

• I am testing my new reactor with SiC element and tightness of the core tube.

Everything seems to be good. But I have reached SiC limitation around 1200W. I am getting just around 900°C. Then power consumption is exponentially higher. This issue should be addressed with a proper insulation. The highest core temperature was just around 1200°C.
    Also I have checked that SiC element is producing so intense EM field, that my IR meter (that is reading data from TC) was unstable at 800W and more.

• I am testing my new reactor with SiC element and tightness of the core tube.

Everything seems to be good. But I have reached SiC limitation around 1200W. I am getting just around 900°C. Then power consumption is exponentially higher. This issue should be addressed with a proper insulation. The highest core temperature was just around 1200°C.
    Also I have checked that SiC element is producing so intense EM field, that my IR meter (that is reading data from TC) was unstable at 800W and more.

I see that its heating up again now. Is there fuel inside ? If yes, which one ?
    By the way, I think its unlikely that Sic element can produce Em fields of high strength. Did you check?

• Also I have checked that SiC element is producing so intense EM field, that my IR meter (that is reading data from TC) was unstable at 800W and more.

It is possible that EM from the heater coil could be causing interference but the mains frequency is quite low and interference is more likely to be common mode. I am not sure how your TC is bundled but if you twist the TC wires all the way down its length you can reduce effects from outside fields. However I would suspect that a ground loop from the heater coil, through the TC and through the USB connection is more likely to have an effect on the measurements if the USB is not isolated. Perhaps remove the wired TC and just use the Pyrometer as that is really why you got it as I understand so that you don't have to rely on contact methods to measure the temperature. That is assuming you had the wired TC on the reactor.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.