me356: Reactor parameters [part 1]

• I have ordered 1kW induction heater with electronics from ebay, so in few days I will be able to test how it can heat nickel.

This can be very interesting as the heat will come just from the fuel and the reactor tube will be not overheated that much. So the only heat that will be created will come from the inside thus the temperature measurement will be very precise.

• Thanks for nice graph and info.

With nickel foil it could work fine and if not, I can put there iron bar that can do the trick. Still, the heat will come from inside of the tube.
    There is also better possibility to measure temperature by IR.

• I am very interested in the difference between Ni-H / Ni-Li-H reactors and why it is more complicated to replicate.

As shown by Russian team, one can build reactor with NiChrome resistor wire inside the reactor and put the hydrogen there.

I guess that for successfull replications passing current and/or direct heating of the fuel ís necessary.
    I am perfectly sure that at least for Hydrogen loading and releasing fast temperature shock is necessary. With heater outside the core it is not that easy and efficient.

• Surely yes.
    I will try to build more reactor types with heating from inside.

Well, it can be even Parkhomov-like design, but to improve efficiency I will replace the heater with large diameter brass coil + a proper induction heater electronics.
    In the reactor fuel will be placed in very thin Nickel foil.

Next reactor I am thinking about is with resistor wire inside, but here sealing may be not that easy in higher temperatures.

From perspective of easy production, long term operation and maintenance, induction heater seems to be ideal.
    All in all, if we are heating the fuel by heater outside, efficiency is not very good.

• Here is the video from whole run where interesting behavior happened.
    The most interesting part starts after 2015-09-06-10-30 ... you can see here that there is abnormal hydrogen loading and then immediately releasing as I said earlier.
    Sadly the video is created from photos taken each minute so the most interesting part could be documented more precisely as it was very fast.

All in all here is clear evidence that this behavior is real.

Fuel mixture: 538mg Ni, 42mg Li, 78mg LiAlH4

http://me356.lenr-forum.com/lenr-effect/out.mp4

• The legends on the pressure dial aren't readable unfortunately. To synchronize the data with the video, we need a "clapper" mark.

The data file has 172550 records, or roughly one per second. So the critical point of interest (00:35) is somewhere around record number 63000.

The attached chart shows records 63701-64500. From that we can see that the 'event' happens at record 63878

The data file has eight columns, separated by a single space. Here are data descriptions for the columns, with the graph legend for each:
    1) Elapsed in tenths of seconds (not shown on graph)
    2) reactor temp "series 1"
    3) geiger CPM "series 2"
    4) Current (A) "series 3"
    5) Voltage (V) "series 4"
    6) Power (W) "series 5"
    7) PID Set point "series 6"
    8] Triac pwm "series 7"

http://magicsound.us/MFMP/me356_reactor_event_.jpg

• Could somebody tell me how we can distinguish, if there is really excess heat or not?

Imagine that you have device and this device is inefficient.
    Then you will add something that will boost the efficiency by 5 times while input energy stays same.
    Does it mean we have excess heat? Yes.
    Does it mean we have COP of 5? Yes
    Does it mean we can make it self sustain? No.
    Does it mean that calorimetry or any other test can clearly show excess heat? Yes

BUT, what if efficiency of the device was previously so poor, that after improving it, it is still under 100%?

I think, that we should focus on the efficiency of the reactors too. I mean how well energy A can be converted to energy B.
    Did anybody already made such calculations in the reports?

• Thank you very much for the graph magicsound!

Data in my file are in this format:
    time(miliseconds/100) current_temp[°C] geiger[CPM] current[A] voltage[V] power[W] setpoint[°C] triac_pwm

Pressure is unfortunately logged only in the video as there was analog pressure meter. One tick on the meter = 1 bar, relative.
    Temperature was measured by Optris Pi, respectively hot spot.

• Very cool! Thank you very much!

Now we have to get better in the fast loading and releasing and hopefully at even lower temperatures.
    I think, that fast temperature change is good for loading process and fast decrease for releasing the hydrogen. This can fit perfectly for the SSM.

• Perfect, I could try it as well. You are right, that digital pressure meter is much better for logging. But analog is much more resistant for ambient temperature variations so you will not see false data.
    But of course it can vary a lot with price.

• Official Post

I thought about it. I understand your concern.

I think the problem you refer to can be traced back to the question whether: the dummy fuel has the same heat capacity, conductivity and radiative properties as the Rossi fuel material or not.

If it has the same properties, then if you compare with calibration and you see higher temperature then you can't tell if there is really excess heat, but if it is higher you can tell if there are any reactions that generate energy.

Chemical or nuclear you can't tell and still it could be less than your input.

But this would already give a strong evidence to us. Because all theories say in Ni + Li + H there should be no exothermic reactions at all at these temp and pressure. neither chemical nor nuclear. But I also totally agree: If heat capacity, conductivity properties etc. are not the same. You can tell nothing. Because inductive coupling could be better and this could give you a better heat transfer.

Then you will think you have excess heat but actually you have not.

• Thanks for the response.
    I agree.

For example if you have machine for converting electrical energy to thermal and then to the steam, you can get very big losses. So there should be also consideration of the whole system to check, if used energy is not wasted somewhere and then, by adding fuel, efficiency is improved.
    So we can have illusion that the system efficiency is changed from theoretical 100% to e.g. 500%, but from 20% to 100% in reality. Of course even 100% is not normally possible.
    This is what I am thinking about, that we should consider also this side carefully.

• By the way I have had communication with Russian scientist that replicated the effect and according to his words electrical current should flow through the fuel.
    The best is, when the fuel act as heater at the same time.

So either using Nickel wire or using induction heater may be much easier way to get excess heat and should work in much lower temperature range. No special triggering methods are needed. Higher the pressure = higher COP.
    From what I have saw the excess heat will not last forever because of hydrogen absorption and other things and should be performed in cyclces as I have mentioned earlier.
    With 15+ bars the process can go out of control.

Also I think, that a reactor can blow up during fast hydrogen release from nickel. Nickel is used as hydrogen storage too - if you are not carefull and you will release too much hydrogen at the same time, abnormal overpressure can destroy the reactor tube. So we have to be very carefull even that we can see 0 pressure.
    Also if I understand the process correctly, fast hydrogen release can emmit burst of neutrons or other radiation and possibly can cause uncontrolled reaction too. So this is the way how reaction should be controlled - neither little nor too much.

What I think is, that nickel must load and release hydrogen in correct amount and correct time. This is what govern the reaction. As soon as we will be able to manage both, we will be able to get the biggest COP.

• If you check the MFMP facebook page, Brian Albiston is running a live experiment.

He seems to have seen a sudden pressure drop, I wonder if this is the same phenomena you've observed.

Brian Says

"Basics are:
    3/8" ID x 12" long tube
    2.0 g INCO 255 Nickel - Baked
    0.98 g LiAlH4
    0.93 g Li

I built a lightly insulated heater which sits inside my calorimeter.

The calorimeter functions by boiling off 500 g of water at a time. COP will be most accurate right before additional water is added."

• Yes, I agree with it.

I have to upload some photos of the alumina tube after the experiment.
    It has dots of melted metal (or something similar to it) on the surface and also marks that the tube was partially melted and then micro cracks around this place.
    But we can be sure that sealing was good before pressure went to atmospheric.

This mean, that the fuel should be in something non reactive else this will happen always.

All in all I am convinced that Lithium is not necessary for getting excess heat at all, altough with Lithium reaction may be totally different and more visible.

• Yes, this is exactly what I think.

From successfull experiments we can see that impulsive hydrogen pressure change always triggered the reaction. The question is, how high it should be.
    Added Lithium really helped as all experiments that were performed showed abnormal pressure drop and 2 of them were followed by increase.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.