New preprint on D-D LENR in metal deuterides

• "Quantum Tunneling in Breather ‘Nano-colliders’ " - http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1503/1503.09119.pdf

ABSTRACT
    In many crystals with sufficient anharmonicity, a special kind of lattice vibrations, namely, discrete breathers (DBs) can be excited either thermally or by external triggering, in which the amplitude of atomic oscillations greatly exceeds that of harmonic oscillations (phonons). Coherency and persistence of large atomic oscillations in DBs may have drastic effect on quantum tunneling due to correlation effects discovered by Schrödinger and Robertson in 1930. These effects have been applied recently to the tunneling problem by Vysotskii et al, who demonstrated a giant increase of sub-barrier transparency during the increase of correlation coefficient at special high-frequency periodic action on quantum system. In the present paper, it is argued that DBs present the most natural and efficient way to produce correlation effects due to time-periodic modulation of the potential well width (or the Coulomb barrier width) and hence to act as breather ‘nano-colliders’ (BNC) triggering [lexicon]low energy nuclear reactions[/lexicon] (LENR) in solids. Tunneling probability for deuterium (D-D) fusion in ‘gap DBs’ formed in metal deuterides is shown to increase with increasing number of oscillations by ~190 orders of magnitude resulting in the observed LENR rate at extremely low concentrations of DBs. Possible ways of engineering the nuclear active environment based on the present concept are discussed.

• Official Post

Interesting.
    Dubink connect his theory with THz experimemnst (done with two laser )....

I don't understand what is the NAE ?
    is it a defect plane where the DB interact or emerge ? or just the mix of two crystal like Pd and H/D ?
    can someone explain in more simple term?

• "Quantum Tunneling in Breather ‘Nano-colliders’ " - http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1503/1503.09119.pdf

ABSTRACT
    In many crystals with sufficient anharmonicity, a special kind of lattice vibrations, namely, discrete breathers (DBs) can be excited either thermally or by external triggering, in which the amplitude of atomic oscillations greatly exceeds that of harmonic oscillations (phonons). Coherency and persistence of large atomic oscillations in DBs may have drastic effect on quantum tunneling due to correlation effects discovered by Schrödinger and Robertson in 1930. These effects have been applied recently to the tunneling problem by Vysotskii et al, who demonstrated a giant increase of sub-barrier transparency during the increase of correlation coefficient at special high-frequency periodic action on quantum system. In the present paper, it is argued that DBs present the most natural and efficient way to produce correlation effects due to time-periodic modulation of the potential well width (or the Coulomb barrier width) and hence to act as breather ‘nano-colliders’ (BNC) triggering [lexicon]low energy nuclear reactions[/lexicon] (LENR) in solids. Tunneling probability for deuterium (D-D) fusion in ‘gap DBs’ formed in metal deuterides is shown to increase with increasing number of oscillations by ~190 orders of magnitude resulting in the observed LENR rate at extremely low concentrations of DBs. Possible ways of engineering the nuclear active environment based on the present concept are discussed.

• Alain,

I think the NAE is not necessarily unique. The author states (p.2) -
    "formation of coherent correlated states (CCS) under time-periodic action on a particle in the parabolic potential"

Then he goes on to the key point (pp. 2-3) -
    "The physical reason for the huge increase in barrier transparency for a particle in a CCS is the co-phasing of
    all fluctuations of the momentum for various eigenstates forming the superpositional correlated state, which
    leads to great dispersion of momentum and large fluctuations of kinetic energy of a particle in the potential well.
    A CCS can be formed in various quantum systems. The most natural way to form such state is to place a particle
    in a non-stationary potential well. "

Note that he claims that the waveform of the stationary state is shaped by the external excitation in such a
    way that energy is shifted into the high momentum/energy waveform tails - even though the mean energy is
    still relatively modest.

A couple of related papers are -
    "Tunneling of slow quantum packets through the high Coulomb barrier"
    http://arxiv.org/pdf/1402.3837.pdf
    "TRANSMISSION OF CORRELATED GAUSSIAN PACKETS THROUGH A DELTA-POTENTIAL"
    http://arxiv.org/pdf/1401.4160v1.pdf

• Official Post

The most natural way to form such state is to place a particle in a non-stationary potential well. "

In our context I interpret that as particle (maybe a virtual particle, emerging from coherent particles) inside the influence of a coherently moving lattice... does it look correct?

this looks like the WLS idea of coherent patch of protons dancing with coherent electrons, while Born-Oppenheimer approximation is violated?

this could also apply to hydroton chain under the influence of coherently oscillating wall of a crack/tube (a mix of WLS with Storms), maybe excited by Surface Plasmon...

I like mixed cooking. :D

• I agree with Russ:

Anharmonic coupling is the
    key of LENR.

But I can't agree with
    Dudinko, because the “breathers” only adds some hundred of Kelvin
    in the best case. It is useful to open DNA strands, but its seems to
    me too low to promote LENRs.

But there is another trick:

As I noticed in our talk at Marseilles, in the case of the palladium / deuterium alloy, we have
    a system of coupled anharmonic oscillators, either linear as in the
    case of DNA, but three-dimensional, as in the case of quasicrystals.

The deuterium slip randomly
    into palladium network by deforming it slightly and locally
    introducing a slight excess mass. Phonon propagation conditions are
    altered and you can have localized excess thermal energy on some
    palladium atoms, and correspondingly a DEFICIT OF THERMAL ENERGY on
    some other deuterium nuclei, in order to respect the principle of
    Carnot. Because the large mass difference between palladium and
    deuterium, the "delta T" can reach 300K: a number of
    deuterium nuclei could end up in the ground state and undergo Bose
    Einstein Condensation.

And I am not the only one to
    think that BEC had something to do with our field of work.

http://ddata.over-blog.com/xxx…/29/Fusion-103/F103.6.pdf

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.