Electron-assisted fusion

• Under these extreme pressures the electrons will be pushed between protons again, i.e. their shielding effect would apply there more than inside the sparse plasmas.

Still you have e.g. 1 electron per proton - concentration of electrons increases proportionally to concentration of nuclei.
    Maybe it could reduce average proton-electron distance let say from 100pm to 10pm ... while the most costly in fusion is going from e.g. 1pm to 1fm - where this screening from electron cloud becomes just negligible.

Again, the only option for non-negligible electron assistance is that there is a single electron remaining between the two colliding nuclei.

• What is important here is, with increasing pressure the shielding effect of electrons should get statistically more significant, as there is higher probability of occurrence of electrons BETWEEN atom nuclei, not OUTSIDE them. The number of free electrons per atom would affect the value of derivative of the trend, but not it's sign.

How significant this effect would actually be is the another question. If you favor the shielding effects of electrons for explanation of cold fusion, you could try to calculate it.

• Again, the only option for non-negligible electron assistance is that there is a single electron remaining between the two colliding nuclei.

I like Longview's point about pressure (ion density) and confinement time. A textbook of mine says that the pressure in the core of the sun is ~ 4e11 atm. I wonder whether screening is relevant here. It would be nice to see a textbook discussion of the 1e-28 probability before reaching for an explanation that adduces screening from electrons that are confined between protons.

• I recently read that the measured solar neutron rate is not adequate for hot fusion and we must draw a new picture. May be somebody has the paper.

That would be an interesting read.

The vacuum lifetime of free neutrons would, at a mean of about 15 minutes, even if "clock adjusted" for relativistic gravitational effects, together with effective neutron flux or density of whatever order likely says neutrons never get far out of the solar core. Even if the core environment somehow greatly increased their T1/2 (seems possible), they would have a strong gravitational incentive to move inward not out. The neutron has density of about 1026 grams per cubic meter, that is about 1024 times higher than the claimed mean of the central core itself at 150 g/M3.

Those vanishing neutrons generally only undergo beta decay... so that paper may be looking at the accompanying solar neutrino flux as an "observable".

• For the pp chain, free neutrons are not a consideration. These are the reactions:

• p + p → pp + γ
    • pp → d + e+ + ν

It's the decay with positron emission that causes the proton to flip to a neutron, but I believe this would take place in the context of the pp resonance (similar to a bound state), and not a spontaneous decay of a proton to a neutron.

• Zephir, Eric - please just do the math.
    Solar core is believed to have density 150g/cm^3 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_core ).
    Assuming it's hydrogen only (N_A per gram), one can easily calculate radius of ball corresponding to every proton: I got I.38 * 10^-11m, what makes sense.
    As electron concentration is the same, one can imagine analogous ball around every electron.

So free electrons would have there 10^-11m order of distance from the nearest proton.
    Assume we want p - p fusion. Thermal energy of 15MK gives 1.4keV what allows to get to 10^-12m distance.
    In this distance free electron is already 10x further than the target nucleus: Coulomb force is 100x smaller.

But 10^-12m is just the beginning - we need 1000x more energy to get to range 10^-15m of nuclear force ... and interaction with free electrons become completely negligible during this trip - their screening doesn't matter here!
    The only way electron could really help here is having trajectory imprisoned between these two colliding nuclei.

• You probably meant "decay of a neutron to a proton". Otherwise it's not likely to happen anytime soon (10^34 years h-l).

No, I meant spontaneous decay of a proton to a neutron (an endothermic process), omitting to mention that this isn't something that really happens on the assumption that it's common knowledge. I was suggesting that free neutron capture is not how deuterium is formed in the sun. (I may have misunderstood the earlier points being made about free neutrons.)

• Zephir, Eric - please just do the math.
    Solar core is believed to have density 150g/cm^3 ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_core ).

Jarek, I get that you want to show that the commonly accepted account of the pp chain is inadequate to explain the reaction rate in the solar core, and that to explain it you need to somehow position electrons between the protons in order to bring about screening. In order to make this argument, you must start with the mainstream derivation for the reaction rate, which will show some math that leads to the accepted reaction rate, and then show which steps are inadequate.

What you're doing is to attempt to derive your own calculation from geometric considerations and distances between reactants, which you then believe you're showing to be inadequate. This approach is ineffective because (1) the mainstream derivation will no doubt get to the desired rate, and, if you're correct, is simply flawed in some subtle way; and (2) you're producing a calculation which astrophysicists are likely to recognize as being only partly related to the one they're using, which unintentionally sets up a kind of straw man argument.

• Eric, so please explain where proton gets 1000x larger energy than thermal - to get to ~fm distance required for fusion?

Jarek, your question is for the authors of astrophysics textbooks. Consult a few until you find the derivation, look it over, find out what's wrong with it, and then report back to us what you discover. :)

• Thermal energy in solar core is 1.4keV, p + e -> n needs 782keVs.
    So Boltzmann says their concentration should be ~exp(-782/1.4) ~ 10^-243.

Any Bolzmann statistics has a head and a tail. So there are certainly particles with the right speed. Not taking into count that there are massive fields inside and outside the sun which can speedup particles far beyond the needed energies.

But Neutrino research is just catching up. I guess we should wait for the newest results and stop speculations!

• Padam, could you elaborate?
    Getting to 1pm distance is relatively simple, protons should get there all the time due to just thermal energy in 15MK core of the sun.
    However, getting to 1fm so that nuclear force can start acting requires 1000x more energy (without electron remaining between them) - how is it explained?

Considering electrons, some could form low angular momentum orbit around one nucleus: ellipse deforming into nearly a segment in some direction. If another nucleus is approaching from this direction, this electron could stay between them, kind of bouncing between the two nuclei in a series of back-scatterings, screening the Coulomb barrier.

How can it be explained without such electron assistance? - how proton could get 1000x larger energy than thermal to cross the Coulomb barrier?
    "Because tunneling" might be a good explanation for electron, but not for 2000x heavier proton - for which even mainstream consider trajectories and forces ...

ps. It's ever worse - just having energy for getting to 1fm distance (~1.4MeV, 1000x more than thermal in solar core) would solve the problem only in 1D.
    In 3D you not only need this energy, but also have VELOCITY PERFECTLY POINTING THE SECOND NUCLEI - otherwise they will just bounce from the repulsion and fly away.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.