Resolving beryllium safety issue

• Because of the importance (in my mind, and in that of at least one moderator) my original safety warning is being augmented
    with this problem solving discussion. And in this case established as a thread and once again "brought to the top".
    I would hope to encourage critical and thoughtful discussion.

If you have not already, please also read my "Safety Warning! posted at "Replication Attempts" Wednesday May 13/2015.

Repeating a request: Until further clarification of the issue raised, I would appreciate if someone with the authority would at least dialog
    with me concerning the possibility of raising a mutually agreeable lithium 7 to beryllium 7 warning to "Sticky".

I welcome ANY comments, critiques.

So far I have responded to 'me356' and 'Rical' in regards to this issue at this Forum. Further I have exchanged an
    email or two with Peter Gluck (I appreciate very much the kind words Peter).

But, for now "the silence nearly deafening". And no response directly from administrators / moderators
    with the exception of Alain Coetmeur (thanks!) and as mentioned Peter (thanks again!).

I emphasize that at this point there appears to be no simple "shoot and read" way to quantify
    this isotope of non-radioactive beryllium (7) in this particular context of lithium 7.
    As it stands the mass difference between Be 7 and Li 7 continues to appear to
    be not even an electron's worth (I'd be happy to be corrected on
    that!).

Since nearly all the effort in isotopic analysis today appears to be focused
    on stable isotopes, the presence or absence of Be 7 may have to be augmented with older
    style techniques to first differentiate or separate the two based on valence electronic structure
    which fortunately is completely distinct in these metals. That is to say, there are certain techniques
    that might be adapted to address this unusual situation.

The two elemental ions of Be 7 and Li 7, regardless of their nearly identical masses, have absolutely
    distinct valence electron features-- Li+ is a univalent cation., Be 2+ is a divalent cation-- no ambiguity
    of multi-valent species present-- a fortunate simplifying circumstance.

To me, as a rank amateur in analytical chemistry, the simplest start would be to use a selective chelation or ion-exchange to
    isolate the two ions from each other, then run each through a suitable mass spec. Such an isolation effort should involve
    perfecting a dedicated procedure, generally using off-the-shelf or readily available reagents. The goal at that stage would
    be to test and trouble-shoot the isolation / separation scheme.

For development and for ultimate use in analysis, a known quantity of another univalent such as Na +, and a known quantity of a divalent such
    as Mg 2+ could be spiked as controls / quantitative references in known concentration on each side (Be and Li) of the
    isolation. Further on in the analysis, known stable isotopes such as Li 6 and Be 9 might be spiked as controls, to be used in the
    mass spec phase to give nearly absolute quantitative reference levels since they would each have the identical valence chemistry /
    ionicity as their respective analyte isotope. Such radiostable controls which share [very nearly] identical chemistry but have distinct but nearby
    atomic weights would serve to control for handling and processing variables by providing nearly absolute quantitative reference
    standards.

Anyone having alternative or refining suggestions, please address the issue here. Anyone in the position to do such an analysis and enough
    experience to swiftly carry it out. Let us know. Remember there is may well be some funding for perfecting such basic research tools as
    "otherwise impossible isotopic analysis"

Thanks,

Longview

• First from all we should be aware that LENR does not mean it uses Lithium.
    From my knowledge only Hot-Cat is running with LiAlH4.

And lastly, until we can't see excess heat it is very likely, that any possible Beryllium wasn't created as well.
    For replicators it would be just safe to close a fuel container hermetically and leave it. So it will be sealed hermetically similarly as Rossi reactor core was before it is heated.

So until any replicator can see excess heat then there is from my point of view no reason to be afraid.
    Altough safety is on the first place, always.

• Arnaud recently pointed out that the Lugano ash analysis showed Lithium 6 at 90% of the lithium content. Before Arnaud's post, I had not realized the implication of those results. Now that it is important, and in retrospect, I agree that they provide good evidence that only or mainly the Li 7 is reacting in at least the Rossi type reactors that have lithium.

If the ash values are correct and can be seen in other replication results. That is, if lithium 6 does not react-- Then this is very good "safety" news for anyone doing Rossi type experiments.

It does appear, at least, that folks will be careful with protection against any possible inhalation or other ingestion of any reactor dust.

Alpha emitters (often easily shielded by thin rubber gloves), are often the worst offenders with respect to inhalation. It's a long story, but there are good reasons for this.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.