free energyfusion

• Please contribute your opinion on the probability of utilizing the thermal output from hydrogen fusion on a national scale. Is there a chance considering the competition with the fission process the gas and electric monopolies control?

• Official Post

It depend on which fusion you talk about.
    if it is big Tokamak/NIF style of fusion, it lead to big nuclear powerplant on a national electric grid like EPR today.

if it is E-cat style of reactor, or even Lockheed Martin Compact Fusion, it may compete with smaller powerplants, like gas, modular fission, at the scale of a city, or even of a building. It will lead to microgrid at the community scale , killing the national grid.

For home E-cat style of reactor it can even be at the individual home, or even at the appliance scale. It will lead to nanogrid, at the building or even appliance scale.

• I've worked on the early PG&E uranium fission reactors and know how well they work. My concern is with this latest home E-cat style fad. A statistical analysis of the probability that nanoscale fusion is possible leads to zero probability. I can stop worrying about fusion national grid problems, it's been a pipe dream.

• Intelligent Design must be responsible for free energy unavailability. The unlimited supply of food that would become available to the world population would quickly cause this globe to be completely covered with critters.

It happens all through geologic and biologic as well as human history. No intelligence is necessary other than good old evolution.. This time the stakes are bigger, the whole planetary biosphere. I'm sure that in addition to bolide impacts, massive volcanism, pandemics, the general program of life has been a lack of insight, lack of vision and lack of foresight. Failure in these "vision things" are what would have overwhelmed the Earth this time around.... but I'm confident we won't let it happen because we can't let it happen. How many extraterrestrial civilizations have we identified so far?

We are the intelligence, we have to manage our affairs to save the Earth, if for no other reason than as a true and complete museum of that which gave rise to the evolution of life and then to an intelligence (technology, culture, tools, theories, sciences, machines, artificial intelligences and so) that was able to increasingly rapidly understand itself and its own origins, and ultimately was able to move beyond the biosphere.

[Longview steps off his secular Monday afternoon pulpit...]

• O'kay, I'll step up to the pulpit. Intelligent Design is the complete program and has been written. Evolution does not randomly happen it's the process of this program evolving in time. The program is responsible for the illusion presented to us by perceiving an energy wavelength between ~4000 through ~8000 Angstroms bouncing off of electron shells. I recall my first impression when starting to work with X-ray diffraction, WOW there's nothing out there. Intelligent Design helps us maintain sanity by allowing us to believe we understand. An interesting delusion is our concept of gravity. Intelligent Design had to cause critters to be stuck to spheres so they wouldn't go drifting off into space. Inertial effect is used. 32 feet per second per second is an interesting choice. We delude ourselves into thinking that when we release an object we've supported that it falls to earth. Newton and his peers saddled us with this interpretation and we don't really question its validity. Why does the object appear to have an acceleration when falling? O'kay I'm stepping off and won't fall.

• OK, ogfusionist, while we are both intelligent enough to design, please attend to this listing and add or amend as necessary. Thanks.

It will take awhile [to replicate your NiO on Fiberfrax in H2 work] , but a preliminary trial would not be difficult. Please lay out any facts you may recall about the lead up to the meltdown.

How was the heating done? (furnace, muffle furnace, nichrome, gas flame)

Here is what I [Longview] currently recall, interspersed with other questions:

NiO ceramic ball milled for at least a week, and more likely months. What was the ceramic-- SiC? I imagine nano-particles of that may incorporate into the NiO.

Size, small enough to colloidally suspend in amyl acetate / acetone.

Binder used methyl acrylate (methyl methacrylate plastic? dissolved in the solvents above. Another read on it was that the binder
    was nitrocellulose (?).

Fiberfrax pre-fired in a vacuum oven at 1000 C for some time (how long?)

Fiberfrax then fired in hydrogen (at 1000 C? Also how long?)

Then Fiberfrax infused with the colloidal NiO (was the excess drained off or vacuum suctioned away?)

I suppose next was a sort of pre-firing to burn off the binder and incorporate the NiO into the ceramic fiber surfaces.

Then back with full hydrogen--- but I recall that it might not have been at atmospheric pressure? And I guess that is where the runaway occurred?

• heating done in alumina tube with nichrome winding
    NiO ball milled for months in all alumina system
    colloidal suspension in acetone
    faulty memory here, binder probably methyl methracylate although nitrocellulose was also used in the factory, recall banana smell of amyl acetate
    FiberFrax firing time in hydrogen and then vacuum at least several hours for introduction in and out of furnaces
    FiberFrax was dipped into a bath of NiO slurry and allowed to soak using capillary action to infuse the slurry
    excess allowed to drain off
    infused FiberFrax stuffed into alumina tube
    hydrogen allowed to flow through at atmospheric pressure
    slowly increased temperature where the 830 C incident occurred

OK, Longview are you a professional interrogator? Your questions sure covered everything I can recall. Would be great if fusion was the reason for meltdown but I've come to doubt it. If I had a lab, what I'd do is stuff an alumina tube part way with the FiberFrax/NiO strips, run hydrogen through the tube while bringing the temperature up and observing if the zone containing the strips became incandescent at 830 C. The brightness difference in radiation from the alumina shell should be very revealing.

I believe that the particle size of the NiO is the most critical parameter in this process. A colloidal suspension test is critical.

• Longview, I should have added in my previous post that your statement "No intelligence is necessary other than good old evolution.." indicates that we have a difference in philosophy. I consider good old evolution as part of Intelligent Design.

• OK, thanks for the recollections. Hopefully we can replicate some or all of your observations. If and when you wish to have your actual name appended to the work, I would be pleased to so attribute it. You might let David Nygren (founder here of the LENR Forum) know your name. You could specify it to be kept confidential until some specified time in the future--- provided David Nygren was willing to act in this capacity.

I guess you could read the "The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins to see how one very intelligent biologist deals with the question of intelligent design, first asked over two hundred years ago by a very intelligent cleric (William Paley, 1802). Darwin credits him generously by the way. Of course Darwin grew up in a deeply religious background. Although he also grew up in a quite scientific background, his grandfather Erasmus Darwin was a physician and had an evolutionary theory not too far off of say Goethe both presaging Charles'. Darwin's other grandfather was Josiah Wedgewood, the leading force underlying Wedgewood as famous pottery and/or china producer known to this day-- speaking of refractories and high temperatures. When at a friends home in the woods some years back, I noticed the very nice and quite old enamelled oven there, brand name "Wedgewood"....

• This brings back memories. My folks had a Wedgewood stove in the kitchen. Also Darwin was one of my father's favorites.

My name being appended would be for verifying that I believe the finding were factual, not for notoriety. This NiO/FiberFrax catalyst reaction at nanoscale dimensions would be useful for adding to the need for worldwide energy.

• Official Post

OK, thanks for the recollections. Hopefully we can replicate some or all of your observations. If and when you wish to have your actual name appended to the work, I would be pleased to so attribute it. You might let David Nygren (founder here of the LENR Forum) know your name. You could specify it to be kept confidential until some specified time in the future--- provided David Nygren was willing to act in this capacity.

I guess you could read the "The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins to see how one very intelligent biologist deals with the question of intelligent design, first asked over two hundred years ago by a very intelligent cleric (William Paley, 1802). Darwin credits him generously by the way. Of course Darwin grew up in a deeply religious background. Although he also grew up in a quite scientific background, his grandfather Erasmus Darwin was a physician and had an evolutionary theory not too far off of say Goethe both presaging Charles'. Darwin's other grandfather was Josiah Wedgewood, the leading force underlying Wedgewood as famous pottery and/or china producer known to this day-- speaking of refractories and high temperatures. When at a friends home in the woods some years back, I noticed the very nice and quite old enamelled oven there, brand name "Wedgewood"....

Good idea

• Great, except I had become pessimistic about nanoscale fusion after my FiberFrax experiment and was satisfied with its dormancy. Now optimism has returned with no laboratory to repeat the reaction. Imagine the frustration. Do you expect anyone will attempt a replication?

• I've worked on the early PG&E uranium fission reactors and know how well they work. My concern is with this latest home E-cat style fad. A statistical analysis of the probability that nanoscale fusion is possible leads to zero probability. I can stop worrying about fusion national grid problems, it's been a pipe dream.

At my age, love watching the live action & being able to talk to the young talented engineers doing the heavy lifting now! Hope they aren't upset about me wanting to talk?

• Longview,

The most important parameter for this proton interaction is distance, the reactor must contain an array of NiO with spacing in nanometer dimensions. A method to control this application would be to thermally decompose Fiberfrax that contains a measured quantity of nickel carbonyl. This would be measured to leave the alumina with a monolayer deposit of nickel. The coated FiberFrax would then be oxygen fired to develop the NiO array. Color can be used to assure the correct oxidation state.

The reactor I worked with appeared to stabilize the nickel redox at the nickelous level at 830 C where the exothermic reaction happened. Just wondering what the electron dance is gives me a headache.

• It's just getting underway. In addition to my own interest, I have only noticed others' interest over the last few weeks. It takes a bit of time for people to realize A) there might be something there and B) it is fairly easy to look at this possibly important phenomenon. I understand that you have doubts about your own results, but actually my responses to your doubts may have livened up the interest a bit. Of course that was not the purpose. The main thing here is to check it out, if it works it can expand the parameters of what nickel can do and how it can be made to do it. If Rossi is somehow a fraud, that is fairly irrelevant to this exercise. Your own doubt about your observed meltdown suggests that you had no fraudulent motive, even unconsciously.

I still have not checked my Fiberfrax box which is over an hour way. It could also be across the country since I have been involved in a major and very chaotic move, but I think it is here on the west coast USA. If it is, I am going to offer up chunks to experimenters (at the LENR Forum) in modest and reasonably useful sizes for the cost of shipping (should be very cheap). I probably have several cubic feet, so it should be enough to satisfy the crowd here. I myself will also conduct an experiment. I do not have extensive experience with the instrumentation being used today, but I can acquire the expertise either de novo, or hopefully through someone here or on the other coast.

After our discussion here I will now be fairly cautious about gamma fluxes, just in case. Of course I will have a G-M counter on hand when it comes time-- and as always recommend that any others doing these sorts experiments also have good radiation monitoring equipment-- even though things are usually fairly cool in this regard, something might work too well, being the first example of a "dead CF scientist" is heroic, but not necessary.

• Great that you've become interested in this reaction, if replication is possible you're the one to accomplish it.

Creating a star in the laboratory should also require some lead shielding to mimic the atmospheric and magnetic field protection offered by our planet. ""being the first example of a "dead CF scientist" is heroic, but not necessary."" as you stated should also mention an impotent CF scientist.

Noticed your use of unconscious rather than subconscious, you must have done some study of abnormal psychology.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.