Ask questions to Dr. Sveinn Ólafsson, Science Institute - University of Iceland

• Hi Sveinn,

This is not so fancy, digital oscilloscope saving current traces is all is needed, no spectrometer except if you can call lifetime measurement a spectrometer. Digital oscilloscope has very nice time accuracy.

My question is about calibration -- do you know how Leif Holmlid is doing it? To calibrate in such a scenario, you would normally measure a source of known decay energy. I do not see how he can with his particular setup, as it records the time from the start of a laser pulse to when a signal is registered by his oscilloscope. But a radioactive source is not normally triggered in this way -- you typically just wait for it to emit. That means you cannot accurately record the travel time of an alpha particle from a radioactive standard, because you didn't trigger its decay. I do not see any mention of blank runs or calibrations in his two recent draft papers on arXiv. Calibrations of this kind are so basic in the field of spectroscopy that no researcher, even especially one who has built his own time-of-flight spectrometer, would think to omit such a step.

When you use a weighing scale, you tare it to zero before you conclude anything about your weight. When you report a current of charged particles of such-and-such MeV u-1, you compare it to a current that you already know something about so that you know that your numbers are right.

If Holmlid is not calibrating against a decay source of known decay energy, can you confirm that he is simply reasoning from first principles about the pulse delay without the benefit of a calibration?

• Hi Eric

Leif is measuring in his last papers (2015) a flux of particles at three locations up to 2m away from the spot where the laser hits the D(0) p(0) material.
    So on his oscillascope he is seeing three current-time traces that provides at every time the total induced electric current created by the flux of particles that is penetrating all collectors one by one. (going through thick metal foils)
    The experiment gives only calibrated timing information of group of particles that changes in flight since laser pulse start.
    For example in the last collector he measures higher current than in the preceding collector and at almost same arrival time!
    This can only occur if particles in the group had decayed to new faster particles?
    Also neutral particle can decay to charged one.
    He is not measuring any energy in this experiment only timing, decay times and changing flux.

Not very sophisticated detector system but, you can get a lot of information with this simple arrangement he has built.

Greetings
    Sveinn

• Hi Sveinn,

He is not measuring any energy in this experiment only timing, decay times and changing flux.

He appears to be inferring energy, and from this particle types, from the flight times -- e.g., "Improved two-collector time-of-flight measurements now show that the energy of the particles is in the range 1-50 MeV u-1" [1].

Just so I'm not misunderstood, I think the current he's seeing is interesting. But I do not think the inference of energies from the flight times can be given weight until Holmlid studies the same effect using standard, more accurate, approaches to measuring such currents. I would also suggest that he engage someone with expertise in this subject area, who will be able to make short work of it, rather than attempting to do it himself. In the meantime I find the speculation about kaons, pions, muons, etc., to be premature [2]. As one example, if Holmlid is off by less than an order of magnitude on the inferred energies, the particles might be alpha particles.

Eric

[1] http://arxiv.org/abs/1508.01332
    [2] http://tempid.altervista.org/SRI.pdf

• https://www.mpq.mpg.de/5020726/0720a_Rydberg_blockade.pdf

Rydberg blockade is the quantum mechanical mechanism whereby one type of rydberg matter forces its quantum state onto another type of matter.

Potassium can force hydrogen in the rydberg matter state through entanglement. This is why a alkali metal is always present as a secret sauce in the LENR process.

But it is not rydberg matter that produces LENR effects. It is the surface plasmon polariton (SPP) condensates that rydberg matter catalyzes which produce the nuclear effects. These are balls of EMF that form when light and matter combine through entanglement. The Russians call this stuff ball lightning and Dr. Ken Shoulders called them EOV.

The electron brings dipole energy to the polariton marriage, and light brings the ability of the polariton to aggregate in limitless density because it is a boson where the Pauli exculsion principle does not apply.

Holmlid does not see the causative role of SPPs yet. These SPPs must be charged with huge amounts of energy (1,000,000 GeV) before they become active in subatomic particle production through tachyon condensation. This is why LENR fuel preparation takes a long time.

The great hangup on the replication of the Holmlid experiment is the time it takes the SPPs to become fully charged with energy. It takes weeks of laser stimulation. This delay might be greatly shortened through the use of an electric arc as a way to pump energy into the SPPs.

For example, in the titanium exploding foil experiments, the SPPs become fully charged in only one shot of the spark. A electric arc is the ideal EMF format for charging the surface of rydberg hydrogen matter to optimum energy storage levels.

In another example, the EVO experiments of Ken Shoulders produce a SPP reaction by using only a single spark discharge.

The arc will also produce a wave of UV and X-Rays that could be used to calibrate the arrival of sub-atomic particles.

I was thinking of a way to do calibration in the Holmlid experiment. If a electric arc was used to produce excitation of the Holmlid experiment rather than a laser, the EMF and electrons from the arc could be used as a benchmark for time of arrival of XUV, x-rays and UV radiation and high energy electrons at the detector. A run with the catalyst could then be compared to the null run where only the electric arc produces excited subatomic particles.

The great hangup on the replication of the Holmlid experiment is the time it takes the SPPs to become fully charged with energy. It takes weeks of minimally effective laser stimulation. This delay might be greatly shortened and make the Holmlid experiment far easier to replicate through the use of an electric arc as a way to pump energy into the SPPs.

For example, in the titanium exploding foil experiments, the SPPs were fully charged in only one shot of the spark. A electric arc is the ideal EMF format for charging the rydberg hydrogen to optimum energy storage levels.

In another example, the EVO experiments of Ken Shoulders produce a SPP reaction by using only one spark discharge.

Now, let us consider what makes Hydrogen Rydberg matter special in LENR engineering.

One cause for the special nature of the hydrogen Rydberg matter nanoparticle is its potential to focus SPP radiation from the tip of the hydrogen Rydberg matter particle.

The plains of the Rydberg matter particle could accumulate, transfer through parabolic reflection, and focus the SPP magnetic beams that are generated along the entire length of the Rydberg molecule into a tightly focused spot in front of the nanoparticle.

The water based particle produced in cavitation has a similar structure of reflecting plains where hydrogen and oxygen atoms form a layered structure of planes in a nanowire construction.

• Hi Eric

Leif is reporting energy in the units of MeV/u which can not be regarded as energy unit until the mass of the measured particle has been correctly assigned. Helium (alpha) can easily be ruled out since has short range in any material. This is however not easy task and Leif is improving the methods. I agree that you need to bring other labs into this study to see if there are really mesons created in this process.

Greetings
    Sveinn

• The production of K-mesons seen by Holmlid fits the requirement for electron production seen in many LENR reactions. The K-meson produces charge because of the violation of CPT symmetry that occurs in K-meson generation. Anti matter production is not seen in these LENR systems so CPT violation must be occuring.

• Rydberg hydrogen is a type II superconductor, at room temperatures.

The superconductivity comes from the SPP solitons that cover the rydberg hydrogen from tip to tail. The solitons are formed on each planar segment of the nanowire. All the solitons are entangled to form a condensate.

The same mechanism produces the drop in resistance in wire used in producing the LENR reactions.

• Hi Alain

H Atom is neutral particle at a some distance from it, it is a charge at say distance smaller than bohr radius ? Same is valid for p(0), D(0) but there the crossover should much smaller distance.

Greetings

Sveinn

• It keeps me thinking: if you are actually an honest researcher, why the need to participate in discussions with morons and lunatics?

• About TYY and his like...People and systems resist change. They change only when forced to or when the change offers a strong advantage. If a person or system is biased toward its present paradigm, then a new paradigm is seen as inferior, even though it may be better. This bias can run so deep that two paradigms are incommensurate. They are incomparable because each side uses their own paradigm's rules to judge the other paradigm. People talk past each other. Each side can "prove" their paradigm is better. But TYY is not capable of argument by proof, his just uses insults. TYY does not even understand what his paradigm is, all he knows is that he feels bad and is scared, ...very, very scared.

• I recently found a post by Mark Jurich in the Vortex-l email archive where the following very interesting paper written by Leif Holmlid was mentioned:

http://fuelrfuture.com/science/holm2.pdf

I understand from that post that h(-1) and d(-1) are now termed h(0) and d(0).

Perhaps these questions are more specific to Leif Holmlids paper and better directed to him so if you cannot answer them I understand. They do seem relevant to your recent experiment however so if you can answer them it would be interesting I think.

From this paper I understand that:

Rydberg Matter h(0) and d(0) is planar like a snowflake with atoms spaced 150 pm a little further apart than the bond length of H2 74 pm

The ultra dense form h(1) and d(1) is paired atoms in a linear vortex with the paired atoms much closer about 2.3 pm.

Also that the two forms Rydberg Matter and ultra dense matter oscillate between their forms.

Are these understanding still correct or have they been updated in the time since this paper was written in early 2014? If the ideas still stand could I ask a couple of questions about it?

1. Since the Rydberg matter from and the ultra dense form are quite different. One planar the other linear. Is the mechanism for the change of state now understood?

2. Is the oscillation present even for a single flake of Rydberg matter? Or does it require a collection maybe a stack of multiple flakes which interact together to allow switching between these two forms

3. If there is an oscillation between these two forms do we know if there is a specific oscillation frequency and if so would you be able to say what it is?

4. Are the two states energetically equivalent, or does it need stimulus to maintain the oscillation?

5. is there a maximum length in terms of number of atom pairs that can occur for the ultra dense form?

6. Are the atom pairs in the Ultra dense form also 2.3pm apart from the adjacent pairs?

7. I understand the laser is needed to cause the switch to ultra dense form. Does the laser have any part to play in the continued oscillation between states or is it only to collect the Rydberg matter and cause the initial compression and transition to ultra dense form ?

8. Are there specific characteristics to the laser application apart from its frequency that are relevant? For example, minimum intensity , duration of laser pulses repetition frequency and number of pulses?

best regards
    Stephen

• Interesting things can be done with laser pulses that generate MeV electrons.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1506.02912v1
    We demonstrate laser-plasma acceleration of high charge electron beams to the ~10 MeV scale using ultrashort laser pulses with as little energy as 10 mJ.
    In summary, we have demonstrated electron acceleration to the 10 MeV scale with laser pulses well below 1 terawatt,
    using a thin, high density hydrogen gas jet, with efficiency of laser energy to MeV electrons of a few percent.

Physical Review Letters
    http://journals.aps.org/prl/ab…03/PhysRevLett.115.194802
    Our results enable truly portable applications of laser-driven acceleration, such as low dose radiography, ultrafast probing of matter, and isotope production.

The secondary effect of bright, extremely brief flashes of light is the result of the initial accelerations of electrons within the plasma wake,
    as they are accelerated from rest to almost the speed of light in less than 1 millionth of a meter.
    http://www.ece.umd.edu/news/news_story.php?id=9346

• Hi Stephen

From this paper I understand that:

Rydberg Matter h(0) and d(0) is planar like a snowflake with atoms spaced 150 pm a little further apart than the bond length of H2 74 pm

Rydberg matter p(1) and d(1) can be planar like a snowflake with atoms spaced 150 pm

The ultra dense form h(1) and d(1) is paired atoms in a linear vortex with the paired atoms much closer about 2.3 pm.

Can be paired atoms in a linear vortex yes

Also that the two forms Rydberg Matter and ultra dense matter oscillate between their forms.

They transform to each other but hardly oscillate

Are these understanding still correct or have they been updated in the time since this paper was written in early 2014? If the ideas still stand could I ask a couple of questions about it?

1. Since the Rydberg matter from and the ultra dense form are quite different. One planar the other linear. Is the mechanism for the change of state now understood?

No measurements only give distance information macroscopic information is hard to obtain.

2. Is the oscillation present even for a single flake of Rydberg matter? Or does it require a collection maybe a stack of multiple flakes which interact together to allow switching between these two forms

Transformation mechanism is not known

3. If there is an oscillation between these two forms do we know if there is a specific oscillation frequency and if so would you be able to say what it is?

What is seen slow transformation of H(0) to H(1) when T or B is increased.

4. Are the two states energetically equivalent, or does it need stimulus to maintain the oscillation?

This is not oscillation

5. is there a maximum length in terms of number of atom pairs that can occur for the ultra dense form?

Not known

6. Are the atom pairs in the Ultra dense form also 2.3pm apart from the adjacent pairs?

Could be, but there is no way to relate the distance information to a 3D structure with 100% certainty.

7. I understand the laser is needed to cause the switch to ultra dense form. Does the laser have any part to play in the continued oscillation between states or is it only to collect the Rydberg matter and cause the initial compression and transition to ultra dense form ?

Laser probably creates the H(0) material yes, oscillation no.

8. Are there specific characteristics to the laser application apart from its frequency that are relevant? For example, minimum intensity , duration of laser pulses repetition frequency and number of pulses?

There are no such specific parameters I think.

best regards
    Stephen

• Interesting paper pjs

They are using more focusing, shorter pulse 50 fs vs 9 ns and therefore almost 10000 times energy/cm2/ time and can therfore create a highly ionised H2 plasma

They are not looking for the ions in the measurements they could replicate Leif Work in a new way if they included more diagnostic measurements for the ions and other particles

Greetings

Sveinn

• I should not recommend experimental process to anyone, but I will do it anyway, so forgive the boldness.

Experimenters look at nanowire using a fluorescence microscope to see the EMF fields that live on the wire. This is how surface plasmon polaritons are visualized. I understand that Holmlid does not believe that EMF living on rydberg matter is causing the results that he is seeing but I will tell truth as I see it anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescence_microscope

And example of nanowire EMF visualization.

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2…ig_tab/ncomms7287_F2.html

The full text can be seen by clicking on the full text segment of the link.

nature.com, journal home, archive by date, february, full text, figure 2

Here is a comparison between a electron microscope and a fluorescent microscope image.

A scanning electron microscope image, left, shows a 15-micron line of 50-nanometer spherical gold nanoparticles. At right is a fluorescence image of the same chain, coated with a thin film of Cardiogreen dye using 785 nm laser excitation. (Credit Link Lab/Rice University)Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2012-02-d…-transmit-energy.html#jCp

• Hi Sveinn

I just found this interesting article in Space Daily about an experiment run by some physicists at the University of Maryland.

http://www.spacedaily.com/repo…cle_accelerators_999.html

Jones Beene on the Vortex-l email archive also found the related paper:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1506.02912.pdf

Could it have some similarities in experiment set up to Holmlids experiment? Perhaps there are some mutually relevant results and lessons learnt here although they are not claiming any fusion as far as i can tell. Perhaps they only need to add the right Catalyst and preparation to see your results.

EDIT: Ahh I just realised its the same paper as already sent by PJS… Apologies to you both for resending. It is interesting though. I wonder if they could do a replication.

Best Regards
    Stephen

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.