Freethinker's replication attempts

• Hi.

I am getting started with my own replication attempts, and to give you a picture of what I am doing I have written a small doc

https://t.co/Ln4kpn2sfD

And made a little video as well

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Very impressive and neatly arranged setup there. Excellent documentation and video intro. Looks like you are all set to make some big waves in lenr field.

The instruments are ok, you do not need million $ meters that measure upto 8 decimal places. The result will be mostly comparative (i.e. with calibration or power trends), so the errors cancel out. You are looking for big excess here , not in the range of mW, so these instruments are more than enough.

I wish there was some arrangement to feed the readings over plot.ly etc for us peanut gallery members.

• Suggest moving the high-temp TC's so insulation wouldn't melt, ie. fewer/no loops around tube.

• Hi.

I have managed to squeeze in some analyzing and going over some data. My current experiment has now seen three wasted coils but the reactor itself appear to maintain pressure (have not checked today though).

Here is a link to some analysis of the first day of the current experiment, where the LAH was exercised and possibly some loading occurred.

I will do the analysis of the 20150801 soon, a busy day where two coils burned. .... and odd pressure spikes were seen right about when that happened - in both cases....

• Suggest moving the high-temp TC's so insulation wouldn't melt, ie. fewer/no loops around tube.

Thanks for the suggestion.

However I have been running quite many tests to find the best setup for me.

I have had quite high surface temperature on that alumina, and they have not melted yet ;)

But If I am going to crank it up some more I will have other TC and will consider other mounting.

• Thanks for the very clear description.
    Do you have a plot of calibration data plotted with active run data (Temp vs Power) ?

• Thanks for the very clear description.
    Do you have a plot of calibration data plotted with active run data (Temp vs Power) ?

I have the data, and such plots can be made. As there is no obvious LENR effect in this hydrogenation part I felt it be out of place, and I focused on presenting pressure and temperature instead, as that are the players that matters, not so much the power, in the hydrogenation.

Nevertheless, I will look into it for this data as well, but my prio is now understanding the run the day after.

• I very much appreciate your efforts and even temperament here Freethinker.

I am concerned that some or all of the replication attempts undeway have a significant handicap with respect to the eventual COP. That is high radiative, conductive and convective heat losses. These can be remedied in various ways without altering the essential chemical and physical mechanisms being evaluated. Examples include using fiberFrax to insulate the "dog bone", using a heating system that is inherently resistant to failure-- for example quartz halogen lamps. Using reflectors to concentrate and/or return radiant energy to the reactor. And so on.

I welcome discussion of this issue in greater detail.

• I guess there is some issue with PID parameters, its not controlling well, too much oscillation. May be the PID experts here can look at it and suggest some corrections.
    If you use a controller, the V,I and power will always be messy. You need to integrate the power before plotting. Take a running average of say 100-500 points (or whatever makes it smooth).
    I think Ecco posted a graph showing what Kanthal wires handle high powers. I think it needs to be above 2mm.
    A calibration is a must. Else you will never know where you are going.
    Other than these minor issues, you are progressing very well . :thumbup:

• Official Post

I am concerned that some or all of the replication attempts undeway have a significant handicap with respect to the eventual COP. That is high radiative, conductive and convective heat losses.

For control, and reminding F&P fantastic calorimeter (fast and sensible), PID problems, and control/command problem, maybe one should also reduce thermal mass to avoid overshoot or late reaction with PID or simply with natural cooling.
    if thermal resistance is high, system may have a high COP, but with high thermal mass it will runaway without any hope of cooling.

using conductive and thin but solid material may allow fast heat transfer, at least between part of the powder...

It seems to be a compromise? may gas, metal or ceramic help to increase heat transfer speed?
    F&P used low mass thermal barrier, the vacuum and silvered glass... the idea to use mirrors seems interesting, as it increase resistance without thermal mass... don't laugh, but low emissivity (high reflectivity) treatment may help, but it seems impractical and uncontrollable.
    light foam is probably a good idea, as it have high thermal resistance with few weight.

• I see from the graph that there were no spikes at the lower current levels but there were at the higher levels. Did the spikes vanish again when the current was reduced? It is possible that there is some odd readings at the turn on point due to measurements from the meter but I wouldn't really expect that from a true RMS meter and if that were the case then why wouldn't you see spikes at lower power levels as the waveshape would still be the same. Is the current measurement and/or SSR before or after your transformer?

If the SSR and current measurement is before the transformer then those spikes might be current inrush into the transformer as it energizes. That might only occur at the higher voltages due to transformer saturation.

Another possibility that came to mind was that something is arcing at the higher voltages (= higher currents) at the SSR switch on and drawing large current spikes while not arcing at the lower voltages.

A question about the control. Does the controller have a fixed setpoint or does it have a "high" and "low" threshold for On and Off?

• Excellent experiment and openness. Thank you Freethinker.

Regarding the power oscillations, it would make much sense to have an averaging of input data to your PID controller in order to mitigate the RMS erratic measurement and/or Solid-State Relay weird behaviour.
    Or applying longer period of on/off of the SSR by preventing frequent switching.

However, it depends of course on your setup and what is possible to do in your controller.

Anyway, thank you again, very encouraging first results!

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.