Freethinker's replication attempts

• Thanks.

I have considered sapphire glass in my double end open variant of the tube with the purpose of doing crude spectroscopy, but the special size requirements made them costly, believe minimum order was 10, not to mention the challenge of making a spectrometry, for my special interest in UV. Final kill, apart from cost and lead time was that sapphire would not cut it as it attenuates quickly at 200nm and the breakpoint is really quality related and the producer did not want to give me full spec on the pieces. Anybody has a high resolution spectrometer in 100-400(or about)nm lying about in the basement? No? ;)

BTW the special range for the Voltcraft Pyro is 8-14um.

• Good idea with a window into the core. Not only will it give better/new measurements, but also opens a way to stimulate/trigger active sites with laser pulses, which might be an option equal to heat pulse or EM stimulation.

But for now, I have full respect and understanding for replicating closer to Lugano/Parkhomov, having some good results in that realm first.

Thanks.

As I wrote Longview above, I contemplated a window of sapphire at one end, which could be used to stimulate with a laser of appropriate wavelength. My intent of doing spectroscopy, and you stimulation proposal, I guess, both require for the fuel powder to be present in the alumni tube and not enclosed in a SS tube as my current setup is using.

But nevertheless food for thought.

• Anybody has a high resolution spectrometer in 100-400(or about)nm lying about in the basement? No? ;)

I bet someone does.

Recall my post earlier on the Ocean Optics device, from some suppliers at around $599 US. I have seen those advertised for about 15 years, so there should be some even in surplus auctions at universities. The interface to a PC might be somewhat archaic, but that is how they were originally brought to market. I forget the standard now, but it was basically on a card "way back then".

BTW the special range for the Voltcraft Pyro is 8-14um.

I see this link below to a quite good window "Amtir-1" (60% t) at 1.5 to 10, and drops nicely from to about 55% from 11 out to 13 um. I did not see the temperature tolerance. Some windows in the IR cannot stand much heat at all. Other IR windows are linked there, calcium fluoride good out to about 20 um with a mp of 1,419 deg. C, and cadmium telluride good out to 30 um and mp of 1,092 deg C. I would at least check the prices. If necessary, make an appeal for assistance...

(Warning the melting points for each was from the "never-to-be-trusted-online-encyclopedia", and also may not correlate well to operation as a window... although the temperature maximum on the calcium fluoride looks promising--- I should not have to remind that both CaF and CdTe are very likely extremely toxic. Mill, grind, dissolve or fire with the greatest respect, please).

http://www.janis.com/products/…owTransmissionCurves.aspx

• I appreciate your tenacity. Thanks for the link, BTW. I checked them out. As did I Oceans (have done so before), they have a nice line of products.

BUT:
    ;)

I have an established scope, and will execute in that scope. When that scope has come to an end, I will evaluate and contemplate options. Until then I will stay on target. That means, no window, no spectrometer, no vaccum pumping or inert gas filling of the reactor, or any other idea that stray to far away from the current setup. Only minor mods to secure reaching the target.

But your ideas are excellent. Sorry for being such a bore. ;)

• Not at all. I much appreciate your letting me know you have at least understood those possibilities. As most here know, all our dialogs permit quite a number of others to see or to imagine what might be done in sooner or later work. For me, now it seems it's just ideas I'm allowed, it's getting harder to execute stuff. I'm amazed at all you have accomplished. So I imagine that much of your progress has perhaps been realized by that steady focus on fairly fixed goals-- along with the gifts / skills to accomplish them. And really, it is a good scope you appear to have.... if I can imagine, you wish to see if there is really anything there, to your own satisfaction. That way you can move on ... or delve deeper, from solid evidence you have seen for yourself.

And thanks, FreeThinker for your open video logging of your rapid progress! Please keep that up, regardless of the results you may find.

• Post mortem on my first active reactor.
    https://docs.google.com/docume…trx4xp0s/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for the report.
    As far as I know, there is no way to conclude anything from a melt down such as this, except to do -
    1. Elemental and isotopic analysis
    2. Compare the cooling curve with that of calibration cooling curve. If there was anomalous heat at the time of melt down , then it will show up in such comparison. The rate of cooling will be different.

• Thanks for the report.
    As far as I know, there is no way to conclude anything from a melt down such as this, except to do -
    1. Elemental and isotopic analysis
    2. Compare the cooling curve with that of calibration cooling curve. If there was anomalous heat at the time of melt down , then it will show up in such comparison. The rate of cooling will be different.

True. To some extent. And then again not true, because the morphology can tell you something about things that happened. In terms of deducing LENR activity, I agree. But I dont agree with " there is no way to conclude anything" ;)
    I must also insist on that meltdown and breaking the coil is not necessarily the same point in time, so you might have had LENR just moments ago, but when the coil breaks, the cooldown will be one without HAD.

• Well , I meant getting a scientific evidence of lenr taking place in those conditions. Sometimes I write as if the reader can read my mind. ;)
    Yes, either lenr or simple failure can be responsible for this. But there is ambiguity. Clear evidence means that we see excess heat for a long period while nothing fails. Bonus if we see HAD and transmutations !

• After 5 runs on a dummy tube with no pressure integrity (1-1.6bar) and no LAH but only Alumina powder as dead mass in the reactor tube, I now have a tentative calibration diagram. I'm in this moment doing a Alumina powder and LAH run, the third in a row to see if it makes any difference. The two earlier runs have had a leaky reactor, seal giving in at about 10 bar. The runs have still given a few data point to match in the diagram, and there are so far no deviation (conditions ok as there have been some pressure and thus H2 present). Hopefully today's run will keep pressure.

In the calibration diagram is a curve plotted. It's an ad-hoc curve based on analysing the points and taking height for both systematic errors as well as random errors. Any future data point that reside above that line is a LENR event candidate.

Note that the points represent the maximum temperature for that input power.

• It looks like aluminum oxide has the same chemical character as potassium because of the superatom effect. Al2O and potassium are isoelectrically identical. Aluminum oxide may produce the same rydberg hydrogen formation function that potassium does. If Rossi is changing his tube material, he must add a potassium catalyst into his fuel mix. If Rossi reports a unsuccessful switch of tube material away from Alumina, then we know what he is doing. Al2O commonly exists as a gas, since the solid state is not stable at room temperature and is only stable between 1050 and 1600 °C. Aluminium (I) Oxide is formed by heating Al and Al2O3 in vacuo while in the presence of SiO2 and C, and only by condensing the products.Information is not commonly available on this compound due to instability, complex high-temperature spectra, difficult detection, and identification. In reduction, Al2O is a major component of vapors of Al2O3. There are also 12 valence electrons in Al2O.

One of the reasons why Parkhomov may be successful in his replication efforts is the presence of SiO2 as an impurity in the alumina tube that he uses. Together with Carbon, the pair of compounds creates a Rydberg Hydrogen Matter formation catalyst when Al2O is produced.

• It looks like aluminum oxide has the same chemical character as potassium because of the superatom effect. Al2O and potassium are isoelectrically identical. Aluminum oxide may produce the same rydberg hydrogen formation function that potassium does. If Rossi is changing his tube material, he must add a potassium catalyst into his fuel mix. If Rossi reports a unsuccessful switch of tube material away from Alumina, then we know what he is doing. Al2O commonly exists as a gas, since the solid state is not stable at room temperature and is only stable between 1050 and 1600 °C. Aluminium (I) Oxide is formed by heating Al and Al2O3 in vacuo while in the presence of SiO2 and C, and only by condensing the products.Information is not commonly available on this compound due to instability, complex high-temperature spectra, difficult detection, and identification. In reduction, Al2O is a major component of vapors of Al2O3. There are also 12 valence electrons in Al2O.

One of the reasons why Parkhomov may be successful in his replication efforts is the presence of SiO2 as an impurity in the alumina tube that he uses. Together with Carbon, the pair of compounds creates a Rydberg Hydrogen Matter formation catalyst when Al2O is produced.

hmm.... My tubes are 99,7% Al2O3 (C799; Max temp 1850°C) and the people supplying me have no clear spec on the remaining 0.3% components but it is suggested that it is MgO, SiO2, CaO and Y2O3.. I wonder if that small part of SiO2 would suffice. Carbon I may have in minute amounts due to the fiber and adhesive in the small tape I use to cover the hole in the core. I do not have vacuum... only a massive partial pressure of H2 that may be anything between 5-50 bar... Sound that I may not need to apply ... Seriosuly. Thanks for the Potasium/Al2O relationship info.

• I am starting (fingers crossed) my active run in the modified test bed with insulation tomorrow, Tuesday. I have spent a lot of time making dummy runs with Al2O3 and Al2O3+LiAlH4 and have now completed my calibration set https://drive.google.com/file/…RRW5jRGc/view?usp=sharing.

There is no significant difference between the temperatures with and without H2. This is a good finding and can be useful for other experimenters, who are wondering whether to do a calibration with H2 inside.
    All the best for the fueled run!

• There is no significant difference between the temperatures with and without H2. This is a good finding and can be useful for other experimenters, who are wondering whether to do a calibration with H2 inside.
    All the best for the fueled run!

Thanks.

It started out ok, with nice H2 pressure build up, but then,as it was close on completing its first reaction leg, and panning out on 18 bar, I wanted to just lower the temp a bit, pulling the power few sec and put it on. I did so ant the temp started up, but the pressure continued on a downward trajectory from which it did not recover. The seal was busted. Don't ask me WHY ?( Just lowering the temp a short time should not do it, I think. I will have a new reactor going asap. In the light of Rossi patent, it may take a couple of days as I ponder if to make ready the heater for Ni powder that I am building. The run did not pan out the way I planned, not the slightest indication of over unity, and tomorrow, when I get back to the lab, the H2 will gone from the reactor. I will start it up again, while working on the Ni powder drying thing.

• I used an Ocean Optics spectrometer "way back then". Very fine instrument for spectral analysis. You may want to try my hydrogen fusion experiment. Load the Al2O3 reactor tube with nickelous oxide powder and run purified hydrogen through the reactor. Fusion initiates at 830 C.

• Yesterday I started with another reactor, based on my auxiliary, lower quality, Alumina pipes. It worked out well and the tube proved be good containing pressure. Today, I started up the reactor anew, the hydrogenation phase been done yesterday. The pressure at room temp was 18 bar. When having runned for a while, It started become worrying, because the continuing high pressure, may mean that the Ni had not been loaded. As I pushed the reactor into the 1100C on the shell, there was a loud bang, quite startling. The power continued to pump, and through the hole carved in the insulation, to be used by the IR gun, it was evident that the shell was broken, as was the reactor tube, as the closed end was gone, and the filler rod was peeking out the hole. Coil intact, filler rods intact. New try coming up.

• Oh that is sad. Personally I do not want to exceed 10 bars never.
    If so high pressure is there then you should put less LiAlH4 or add free volume there.

I have tested 4ml free volume with 100mg of LiAlH4 with good success. But I must say that there could be enormous difference between LiAlH4 from various sources.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.