Freethinker's replication attempts

• @Ecco

The device used is

http://www.gemssensors.com/~/m…m%20H-30-47_05-05-14.ashx

0-16 bar, 4-20mA.

You are right that thermal error, zero tolerance, accuracy, etc, may even hint as large error as 100mbar, or more. It is possible. So yes, harder vacuum. But how would I know....? The meter goes below spec as is. And why risk the reactor, by putting in more Li, if current run show promise? It might be called for later, but right now I have no reason to do it.

Regarding cooling. The shell temperature is measured inside the insulation (Al2O3 bricks) whereas the coil is measured from the side at the closed end of the tube, exposed to the milieu. The dissipation of thermal energy to the milieu is therfore much more efficient in the coil temperature, compared to the shell, being, as it were, inside an oven. At the very end of the cooling, having set a 200 C threshold before allowing myself to leave the lab and being in a hurry doing so, I lift up the top enclosure which cools of the shell faster.

• 2. To achieve the state I am looking for, it is REQUIRED to have pulsed power, as the constant EM field produced by a constant voltage and current will not do to achive loading of Ni (that is my presumption what is taking place)

I am not sure what effect EM fields would have but perhaps the pulsed power that you applied has the effect of producing heat related pressure pulses in the gas and this was the driving force that enabled better loading to take place?

• I am not sure what effect EM fields would have but perhaps the pulsed power that you applied has the effect of producing heat related pressure pulses in the gas and this was the driving force that enabled better loading to take place?

Thanks GlowFish,

You may be right. I do see oscillations in pressure at times, and in temperature as well, and that is under a static set of power, not using PID, in thermal equilibrium also. But nevertheless, in an erratically varying electromagnetic field the Ni particle will be put under some physical stress, which also may play a role.

• Today's run was in itself interesting, and Murphy paid a visit.

The pressure was from the onset below 1 bar, and did not show any tendency to rise much during the exercises during the day. There were in fact a couple of interesting pressure related events, as were there radiation related ones. I pushed for 900C and 1000C levels, mostly staying at the 1000C level (now talking about measured values, not core values). I used the PID extensively pumping from a relative high power of 500-550 W.

But while progressing well, seeing interesting things (no excess heat), during the afternoon, the power went in the lab (not my doing) and in the end as it happens, I lost all DVM data. This include power as well as pressure data.

I will have a short break now in my activities, and will return to this reactor when back. Later, I will refuel it, but there is no meaning in doing so until I have a new strategy as how and what to test.

Time for contemplation.

• It would be nice to test Li + LiAlH4 alone to see the behavior without Nickel.

Without Nickel we can be sure that there is no absorption so this can be easier to play with.
    So we can easily conclude what is really happening there with the pressure.

• A thought. If the Nickel grain size is important then ignore this. However, if the nickel grain size does not play too much of a role then why not "mix" the Nickel and Lithium together onto a surface using electroplating? Perhaps you can coat an iron pin with a Lithium - Nickel combination by dissolving the Nickel and Lithium in an acid solution and electroplate the pin using this solution. The coated pin and the LiAlH4 can be heated together as normal in the tube.

(EDIT) Clarified text a bit

• @Ecco

If the Nickel is used to create atomic hydrogen and this hydrogen permeates the Nickel lattice, then wouldn't having the Lithium embedded in this lattice increase the chances of an interaction? This is assuming the reaction is a of a Proton-Lithium type.

• @FreethinkerLenr2

Did you run any new tests where you repeated the detection radiation? If I remember right you possibly detected some small amounts gamma and beta radiation in some earlier tests? I'm wondering if it is possible to determine if the beta came indirectly from muon radiation or directly from beta decay in the device.

I think you used foil to block the beta radiation to determine how much of the signal was from beta decay?

This might be a crazy idea but if muons decay to beta after a certain half life would this mean we get more betas from muons with distance from the device? Also can we assume muons are also more penetrating than beta? If so could we use this to determine if muon radiation is present by blocking with foil between the device and Geiger tube at different distances from the device?

• StephenC,

I have made several runs on the same core giving a significant excess of background radiation (baseline) and excessive events, topping 125 cpm, many other over 100 cpm. Normal background average 25-35 cpm, with a stddev of 5 cpm, event very rarely tangent 50 cpm. There is a thermal dependency of the instrument, but with that removed there are multiple distinct detections. I have seen excess background and high single events many times, but that one core has been unprecedented. It is baked Ni and LAH + Al2O3, no Li. Not seen same excess events with Li in core, only a weak elevated baseline, not really significant enough when taking the thermal bias of the instrument into the calculation.

I have purchased two new GMC devices and made one run so far without the hoped for response, but further experiments are on ice as I need to focus on getting some revenues to my business, and make a living....

So regarding your muons .... Not so crazy. No, I have not looked at it like so. In fact, I do not know how the GMC would act if it was receiving a muon instead of a beta. It is interesting, and if I get time to do more experiments, I will use my 3 GMC's in different geometric setups, and see what I can find.

• I think that you can observe excess radiation because neutrons are bouncing in the reactor more often in various directions which is the reason for gamma emmission escape. When there is just hydrogen, it slow down neutrons significantly, but addition of Al2O3 changing the situation.

So I think, that addition of Al2O3 is good for measurement of possible neutron flux inside the reactor, but not for secondary reaction with lithium.

I think that Mouse process is still too ineffective and higher neutron flux is needed. This could be achieved by changing power supply for the coil.

• I think that Rossi is using special modulation for long time. You can see it from this video (time 1:11)

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

There is a big box with control system that looks like RF generator where you can configure its characteristics. This box, as I believe, was then integrated to much smaller device. I think that this is used for EM stimulation.
    I believe that Rossi is using many configurations, some with single heater, some with two heaters where both have different functionality.
    So there are many possibilities how to achieve wanted effect.

What I think is, that it would be fine to modulate the heater power with some fast IGBT transistor and try different frequencies.
    When we will achieve modulation, that is able to heat the fuel by magnetic induction, then "neutron spallation" rate should be boosted a lot.
    This is what induction heaters are doing, so you may build induction heater driver with frequency control.

So simply with EM stimulation, you can get infra radiation from the fuel by heating which with correct amplitude and frequency may get into an ion acoustic resonance of the corresponding gas/plasma.
    Maybe I am wrong, but it makes good sense together.

My question was, why Parkhomov, Russian, Chinees replicators succeeded? I think that the reason is in the modulation. Parkhomov was feeding the heater with relatively unstable and randomly behaving thyristor stack which with good luck can create such frequencies at least from time to time.
    Chinees and Russian team were using DC supply. But as you know, switching supplies are working with frequency around 50kHz. Signal may not be perfectly flat as you can expect with DC (especially with high power). Also excess heat appeared always when power was changed significantly - this may be also responsible for very short, but intensive neutron production. But you will need rather higher power which is mostly above limits of the heater to be successfull without correct modulation.

• Good thing to try might be to buy Induction Heater and use it together with coil heater. Induction heater may be not too powerfull if you are using external heater to reach higher temperatures. So together it may work pretty well.

• Official Post

maybe at one period was there RF excitation, but current hot-cat design seems to be just heat controlled.

I bet much more on the material science. Armchair position from what I read since few years... I don't know if Ed Storms is exactly right, but his intuition that it is crack, is linked to the network of evidence that say surface structure is important. I would bet on powder treatment, rather than on RF.

However the triggering may require "pumping" (SSM On-Off mode), when there is no RF/laser/ultrasound excitation.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.