Helium-3

• One of the most interesting parts of the 2014 MIT IAP Cold Fusion lectures was when Peter Hagelstein in his Friday (46 minutes) lecture mentioned
    helium-3 as a possible reaction product. Helium-3 has not been tested for in excess heat reactions experimentally. It would be hard to
    test since helium-3 is almost the same weight as an HD molecule. Although D2 and He-4 have the similar problem and they have been separated.

HD to He-3 is a 5.5 MeV event which is a quarter of the 24 MeV D2 to He-4 fusion event. Not sure how much difference that makes.

I know that Dr. Hagelstein is not a proponent of the Widom-Larsen theory and has several papers on lenr-canr.org with this viewpoint.
    He-3 would not be expected under the W-L theory. Detecting it should allow theorists to move forward.

• Official Post

He3 is a decay product of Tritium, but over many years.
    Tritium can also be explained by others theory. Ed Storms who criticize WL theory (his position is that no mechanism can filter 99.9999%, and slow neutron are thermalized more than 0.0001%), propose p-e-p->d+v theory, but also p-e-d->t+v and d-e-d->he4+v, as the same mechanism.

Interesting subject. :thumbup: hope we get the answer soon.

• While reading through Melvin Miles discussing 24 MeV and helium-4 I found this:

MM: Schwinger was also interested in QED. The reason I started looking for helium is that Schwinger
    came out very early. He had this theory, and he thought it was a reaction of a deuteron plus a proton
    going to helium-3. So we went looking for helium-3. We didn't find it, but we found helium-4. I was
    trying to prove that Schwinger was right.

15th paragraph from the bottom in http://newenergytimes.com/v2/n…0-jgk39gh12f.shtml#24skmm

So helium-3 has been looked for and not found according to Melvin Miles.

• Official Post

Ed Storms as an LENR editor, as an author of cold fusion review paper, have analysed all the accumulated evidences.
    For him p-e-p,d-e-d,p-e-d reactions seems to be the most probable reaction, and the mechanism of PdD,NiH, and He4 or T production should be the same...
    The problem with all theory supporters is that quickly they fall in love with their theory.

• Perhaps relevant to this thread is this recent patent application -

Method for producing helium-3 using a hydrogenated lattice (red fusion)
    US 20130329844 A1 - Publication date Dec 12, 2013Abstract

Helium-3 (also known as He-3 or 2He3) is created in a nuclear fusion
    reaction by fusing Deuterium (1D2) ions from a Deuterium plasma with
    Hydrogen ions (1P1) in a Lithium or diamond crystal lattice. (Red Fusion)

Specifically, Helium-3 is created by the following equation: 1D2
    (Deuterium ion from Deuterium plasma, migrated into a Lithium crystal)+1P1
    (Hydrogen ion in the Lithium crystal)=2He3+

https://www.google.com/patents/US20130329844

(Download the pdf version for easier reading.)

A one page summary is also available at:
    http://lawpp2014.org/wp-conten…nd-David-Leal-REV-3-1.pdf

It seems well written, with lab tests corroborating the claims.
    No energetic neutron or gamma emissions.

I assume both He-3 creation and the He-3 itself could produce safe energy.

-- Lou Pagnucco

• Really cool.

Similar to Purrratio's method of directing a plasma jet at a lattice hydride. Maybe call this "warm fusion" as the deuterons in hot plasma start the fusion event and its gamma signature is smothered into the lithium lattice.

Purratio uses deuterated palladium which produces He-3 and neutrons.

Dr. Leal's red fusion lack of gammas is a good example of a large quanta being fractionated into the lattice (thats what Dr. Hagelstein calls it when
    gamma emissions are smothered).

No mention of any effort to commercialize this devices or even if it is running over unity.

Maybe he would first use this technology to produce helium-3.

• Official Post

He3 is produced from Tritium slow decay, but if LENR can produce it quickly it is interesting.
    There is a shortage on earth He3. It is used for anti-terrorism detectors (neutrons detection).
    He4 start to be rarer, and the regulated price of He4 in US have not helped consumer to save it.

• I noticed that Tom Claytor's plasma cells produce quite a bit of helium-3, some almost 50%.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEUaJ6AHkF8&feature=youtu.be (at 14:46 minutes)

I was looking around to get an idea what helium-3 might sell for per gram and noticed
    a variety of prices starting at $4000 and going to $15,000 per gram. At $15,000 per gram
    the helium-3 could be worth more than the electricity generated.

Helium-4 might be cheaper to vent to atmosphere depending on what the capture costs are.

• i look this 5 years old thread about Helium 3 formation in some experiments, AlainCo both Peter have commented it.

What can we say today after 5 years additional understandings ?

I ask this question in relation to some own exps.

Helium-3

One of the most interesting parts of the 2014 MIT IAP Cold Fusion lectures was when Peter Hagelstein in his Friday (46 minutes) lecture mentioned
    helium-3 as a possible reaction product. Helium-3 has not been tested for in excess heat reactions experimentally. It would be hard to
    test since helium-3 is almost the same weight as an HD molecule. Although D2 and He-4 have the similar problem and they have been separated.

HD to He-3 is a 5.5 MeV event which is a quarter of the 24 MeV D2 to He-4 fusion event. Not sure how much difference that makes.

I know that Dr. Hagelstein is not a proponent of the Widom-Larsen theory and has several papers on lenr-canr.org with this viewpoint.
    He-3 would not be expected under the W-L theory. Detecting it should allow theorists to move forward.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.