What Exactly Is Rossi’s “Mme Curie” Reactor — A Direct Source of Electricity?

• Over on the Rossi blog site, there has recently been a ton of questions asking Rossi what the E-Cat-X is all about. Rossi is silent on that issue. He is very protective about his new collections of IP secrets. And yet, he gave the Lugano crew the Hot cat to play with for a month. To completely give the Lugano testers all his treasured and hard won IP secrets is completely out of character. Rossi must have thought that the Hot Cat was a dead end. Try as he might, Rossi could not get the Hot cat to work, and he gave up on it. He never intended to give anybody the opportunity and the Know-how to replicate any of his work. Does a leopard change its spots? But when Rossi read the Lugano report, he saw something he liked very much, it was something he did not see in all his own extensive Hot cat experiments. He was very surprised, and he took advantage of this very good luck as he has always done. Those new insights that he gleaned from the Lugano report gave him inspiration to invent the E-Cat-X. The tantalizing question that we are faced with: what insight did Rossi get from the Lugano report.

Maybe Rossi gave up on the Hot Cat because, try as he might, he could not get the Hot Cat to work well, So he intended to throw his competitors a curve by showing them a failed test. He used an old fuel load from one of his failed Hot cat tests knowing full well that the Hot Cat would not work to any great extent. But to his surprise, the Lugano crew got the reactor to work anyway beyond all his wildest expectations.

The previously used fuel loaded in the Lugano test showed no build up of Ni62, just run of the mill nickel isotopes, but the Lugano run changed the nickel powder into pure Ni62. We know that Rossi was very surprised by this strange turn of events. Rossi must have thought to himself, what could have caused that miracle? How come I could not do this thing and those Lugano testers could?

Because they did not want to melt the hot cat down, the Lugano crew let the Hot cat heat for 10 days before they decided to up the temperature. In those first 10 days the Hot cat was a poor performer. Rossi never had the patience to run the Hot cat for so long, he did not have the patience to run such a non productive test for that long. But after those 10 days of gestation, the Lugano crew increased the power and the heat and the Rossi reaction took off.

The power produced by the reactor showed a COP of 7 when the power was increased. Something must have been building up over those 10 days of moderate heat. LENR has always had a history of running for a long time before the reaction sets in. The Palladium guys thought ot was caused by loading hydrogen into palladium, but that was not the case.

Nano-particles were being created slowly until their numbers reached a critical threshold for the reactor to take off. Without those large 100 micron nickel particles, the nano particle aggregation must be grown large enough to get the power of the reaction over a critical level. That correct level is when the aggregation is big enough to establish a positive feedback loop with the nuclear fusion reactions catalyzed by the aggregation.

Rossi said to himself, I can just add some of my potassium catalyst to the lithium aluminum hydride to get the nano particles to form faster. 10 days is far to long to wait to start up the Hot cat. Then I could turn on the lithium powder very fast, and I do not need the nickel anymore.
    -------------------
    New update

Andrea Rossi
    August 18th, 2015 at 5:43 PM

Curiosone:
    Update at 07.40 p.m. of Tuesday August 18.
    E-Cat 1 MW: downloaded to 750 kW of power for reparation of a reactor. Another working night looms up.
    E-Cat X: burnt, but we have understood well where is the problem, so we are making another one that very likely will be very reliable. I hope.
    From inside the plant,
    Warm Regards,
    A.R.

Rossi might have found the method to control the E-Cat meltdown mechanism, The X-Cat might have destroyed the alumina tube by overheating. How hot can the X-Cat get?

Rossi might want to try Yttria-stabilized zirconia (YSZ) (Melting point 2,715 °C (4,919 °F; 2,988 K))

This compound is a ceramic in which the crystal structure of zirconium dioxide is made stable at room temperature by an addition of yttrium oxide. These oxides are commonly called "zirconia" (ZrO2) and "yttria" (Y2O3), hence the name.

It is difficult to solve the heater material problem because most heater elements will oxidize at high temperatures. This is not true for YSZ. Rossi could heat the YSZ tube directly.

Electroceramics is a class of ceramic materials used primarily for their electrical properties. YSZ is an Electroceramic; it conducts electricity well as a fast ion conductor ceramic that has been used historically for the glowing rods in early Nernst lamps.

The Nernst lamp was an early form of incandescent lamp. Nernst lamps did not use a glowing tungsten filament. Instead, they used a ceramic rod that was heated to incandescence. Because the rod (unlike tungsten wire) would not further oxidize when exposed to air, there was no need to enclose it within a vacuum or noble gas environment; the burners in Nernst lamps could operate exposed to the air and were only enclosed in glass to isolate the hot incandescent emitter from its environment. A ceramic of zirconium oxide - yttrium oxide was used as the glowing rod.

One disadvantage of the Nernst design was that the ceramic rod was not electrically conductive at room temperature so the lamps needed a separate heater filament to heat the ceramic hot enough to begin conducting electricity on its own.

• "Rossi might have found the method to control the E-Cat meltdown mechanism, The X-Cat might have destroyed the alumina tube by overheating. How hot can the X-Cat get?"

Hydrogen fusion is a stellar process. The X-Cat thermal limit is the temperature of the sun. Meltdown prevention requires dilution of the reactant.

"Maybe Rossi gave up on the Hot Cat because, try as he might"

Anyone infected with this LENR pathology will never give up, Rossi included.

the Lugano run changed the nickel powder into pure Ni62. We know that Rossi was very surprised by this strange turn of events. Rossi must have thought to himself, what could have caused that miracle? How come I could not do this thing and those Lugano testers could?

You're very funny, Axil. What caused the miracle? What caused it, the ONLY possibility, was that Rossi bought some nickel-62 and salted the supposed ash with it. God knows, he had plenty of opportunities, and the Swedish professors, knowing nothing about magic and sleight of hand, would not have detected the fraud.

How hot can an ecat get? That only depends on how power Rossi applies to the humongous heater which is at the center of each and every one.

• Mary Yugo@

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Your unnatural and unreasonable fury toward Rossi might involve a deeply held, secretly silent, and possibly unconscious obsession with Rossi. What emotion might be responsible, I wonder...envy, lust, jealousy. But considering the depth of your obsession with Rossi, it might be the most powerful of all the emotions...the most illogical and perverted...unrequited LOVE.

• Mary Yugo@

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Your unnatural and unreasonable fury toward Rossi might involve a deeply held, secretly silent, and possibly unconscious obsession with Rossi. What emotion might be responsible, I wonder...envy, lust, jealousy. But considering the depth of your obsession with Rossi, it might be the most powerful of all the emotions...the most illogical and perverted...unrequited LOVE.

Mary is actually George Hody...
    https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=vortex-[email protected]&q=subject:%22Re%5C%3A+%5C%5BVo%5C%5D%3ARE%5C%3A+Mary+is+Outed+%5C%3F%3F%3F%22&o=newest&f=1

and this
    http://ownshrink.com/skeptopat…yptodenialism-rossi-ecat/

• Mary is actually George Hody...
    [email protected]&q=subject:%22Re%5C%3A+%5C%5BVo%5C%5D%3ARE%5C%3A+Mary+is+Outed+%5C%3F%3F%3F%22&o=newest&f=1">https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=vortex-[email protected]&q=subject:%22Re%5C%3A+%5C%5BVo%5C%5D%3ARE%5C%3A+Mary+is+Outed+%5C%3F%3F%3F%22&o=newest&f=1

and this
    http://ownshrink.com/skeptopat…yptodenialism-rossi-ecat/

Those links are hilarious! I am going to save the contents so that after Rossi and Darden crash and burn (exactly like Sniffex, Steorn and Defkalion have recently done), we can review the paranoid and inaccurate nonsense content at leisure. Thanks for a good laugh! Of course, none of it defends Rossi and his ridiculous claims in any way. Typical believer tangential and irrelevant ruminations! Try talking about Rossi's incredible, inconsistent and conflicting claims. Try demonstrating that someone with the most important invention of the last century would hide in a silly container full of junk for an entire year and in FOUR years, could not show a single customer, a single "certificator" or any *proper* and "indipendent" evidence that the thing works. Of course, you can't.

• Mary Yugo: how can you explain other successfull replications of Rossi effect? Are all these replicators just frauds? Is everybody doing mistake?
    What if I will get excess heat too in my replication?

Good question. And a typical believer mistake. Claims are not evidence. And all you are citing is claims!

For example, Parkhomov's data was shown to be extremely flawed and probably faked. And yes, the other "replicators" are likely to be either frauds or mistaken. I have neither the information nor the time to be sure either way. Anyway, how do you replicate something that clearly doesn't work like Rossi's hot cat (see Thomas Clarke's results)? How do you replicate something whose details have never been given out? These are *attempts* at replication. These are *claims*, not facts or evidence. When will people here learn the difference?

Claims will be "successful" when a national laboratory or major university verifies that the device produces significant amounts of energy at high power levels for prolonged periods and there is no mistake, sleight of hand, or other trickery (see the so-called "Cheese Video" for an example of tricks). A high power, high energy, small device, running without fresh fuel for a long time, and verified by calorimetry properly performed with blank runs and calibration, all done by a reputable institution and replicated by a second one, would prove that someone really has LENR. Let me know when that happens. For certain, the Swedish professors, Levi and Rossi have not done this and neither has Parkhomov.

So if you think your experiment makes "excess" heat, get it properly evaluated by well done and CALIBRATED calorimetry. Another thing you can do is to loop the heat back so the device is self-running, requiring no source of power except for control electronics. I am going to bet that you are a very very long way from that. But good luck.

Note: references to the Cheese video, to Clarke's papers, and to proper calorimetry of a tube furnace like the hot cat (by Giancarlo and his associates) are searchable through Google. If you need those here, let me know.

• Those links are hilarious! I am going to save the contents so that after Rossi and Darden crash and burn (exactly like Sniffex, Steorn and Defkalion have recently done), we can review the paranoid and inaccurate nonsense content at leisure. Thanks for a good laugh! Of course, none of it defends Rossi and his ridiculous claims in any way. Typical believer tangential and irrelevant ruminations! Try talking about Rossi's incredible, inconsistent and conflicting claims. Try demonstrating that someone with the most important invention of the last century would hide in a silly container full of junk for an entire year and in FOUR years, could not show a single customer, a single "certificator" or any *proper* and "indipendent" evidence that the thing works. Of course, you can't.

Most of the internet has a fictitious username. Who cares if the user is George or Mary or Ringo? The discussion should stay on the content of the message. I don't get the obsession with doxxing Mary Yugo. I personally like to follow Axil, based on the information quality of his posts.
    I really doubt his name is Axil anymore than mine is Rigel.

Most of the internet has a fictitious username. Who cares if the user is George or Mary or Ringo? The discussion should stay on the content of the message. I don't get the obsession with doxxing Mary Yugo. I personally like to follow Axil, based on the information quality of his posts.
    I really doubt his name is Axil anymore than mine is Rigel.

Indeed. There are at least two very funny aspects to this. The first is that those who deride my use of an anonymous pseudonym, themselves write from one! Second, if I am who they say I am, then I have decades of experience with precision calorimetry and have written refereed papers about its use. That I would refute Rossi's claims to proper calorimetry should be their worst nightmare. Not only that, but the company they associate me with has sold calorimeters and heat flux transducers to Edmund Storm and Jed Rothwell, both LENR enthusiasts. Both have discussed their use of the devices favorably in their writings. That I would hate these people and write disparaging comments about their work doesn't make a lot of sense, if I am indeed who they say I am. But believers in scammers like Rossi and Defkalion rarely concern themselves with the facts -- if they did, they wouldn't remain believers very long.

• Not only that, but the company they associate me with has sold calorimeters and heat flux transducers to Edmund Storm and Jed Rothwell, both LENR enthusiasts.

Georgie, your weasel-worded denial is fooling no-one. Don't you remember when you wrote this:

Quote from Mary Yugo/Al Potenza/George Hody

Jed Rothwell, long time enthusiast of LENR/cold fusion approached Rossi early in 2011 with a proposal for a reasonable test of the early steam type ecat. In brief, the idea was to sparge (condense) the steam in an insulated vessel and to use the temperature rise to measure the enthalpy, together with proper blanks and careful, relevant calibrations using the electrical heater. My contribution was adding thermal flux transducers (heat meters) to track where the heat losses were and to quantitate them, thus sharpening the accuracy...

I had friends in common with Rothwell, though I have not met him. We had some friendly and collegial exchanges by email. When offered the proposal, Rossi declined and then somehow managed to get upset and rude with Rothwell, an ardent supporter. On the issue of Rothwell’s continued belief *even after that!* that Rossi was legitimate, we had some pretty abrasive emails.

:huh: Hmmm...

Both have discussed their use of the devices favorably in their writings. That I would hate these people and write disparaging comments about their work doesn't make a lot of sense, if I am indeed who they say I am.

Considering everything else you have written, I'd say this makes an awful lot of sense...

• This Forum should be devoted to work done to further nanoscale fusion. What does the bickering crap posted here accomplish? One contributor in particular certainly does well in continuously diverting to some hidden agenda. An expert saboteur but for what purpose? Maybe the pathological love/hate confusion leads to masked disparaging remarks.

• to colwin: The David-Giles effect if the name of the phenomenon observed when an NAE material (palladium hydride, titanium hydride, nickel hydride, manganese oxyde, etc...) is put together a semiconductor (for example silicon or aluminium hydride). First, the fusion reactions produce high energy, and then this energy is kept by the NAE, and undergoes the « Downgrading of Hagelstein », leading to thermalization. But before thermalization the energy goes into the eV range, and it become able to promote electron excitation. When this excitation occurs near a semiconductor-NAE alloy jonction, we have the equivallent of a photodiode (a photovoltaïc cell) and we observe a spontaneous voltage WITHOUT ANY ELECTRICAL INPUT.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.