Huge News: E-Cat US-Patent granted! 50% Ni, 20% Li and 30% LiAlH4

• I notice one claim (8) is the tank acts as a radiation shield. That may have some safety certification issues, eh?

Hi all

In reply to JDM

Rossi already has the CE certificate and safety test from 2011, it was part of the requirements that [lexicon]IH[/lexicon] put on him. The Radiation test was part of that if you care to look it up.

People use radiation sources of far more more power in their homes already. Any Radiation LENR produces and it was seen by MFMP and others is small and below that seen in Smoke alarms, and the Cathode ray tubes of the old style TVs and computer monitors we used to use, and not even remotely in the league of my old glow in the dark Timex watch or my old Sylva compass when I used to do night navigation for orienteering competitions back in the 70s and 80s.

Kind Regards walker

• Official Post

I've read the observations of the examiner on uspto site.
    It seems quite minor, and I've found no experimental results.

there was much more experimental results in a previously discussed e-cat patent (a recent one with dogbone like heater).

to see the exchanges open
    http://portal.uspto.gov/pair/PublicPair
    fill catptcha...
    check "Application number" and enter number: 13420109

select tab "image file wrapper" and sort by mail room date

maybe you can find more.

• This is because (from my understanding) he didn't really claim a nuclear reaction or anything like that. It just appears to claim the structure and steps for performing the reaction. As far as I can tell the examiner just checked to see if anyone had put the components and ingredients together in the same way.

I'm glad that the public has the additional information in the patent and I hope that the patent makes Rossi more willing to share additional information with the public. But if someone didn't believe in Rossi or LENR before there isn't anything here that would really change their minds.

LENR needs either (A) a publicly known and reliably reproducible experiment that shows unambiguous excess heat or (B) an openly available commercial product. Hopefully the patent will move those goals forward.

• Frank on E-catworld.com asked a very excellent question which points out a major inconsistency in the entire Rossi story -- how can the nickel be a catalyst if it is converted *entirely* from Ni-58 to Ni-62 during the Lugano Experiment? Note that the answer is highly evasive, typical for Rossi. The correct answer is "it can't be true" -- either it's wrong in the patent or it's wrong in the experiment report, or, as I suspect, it's wrong in both!

Rossi already has the CE certificate and safety test from 2011, it was part of the requirements that [lexicon]IH[/lexicon] put on him. The Radiation test was part of that if you care to look it up.

As far as I can determine, Rossi has only an SGS *self* certification regarding safety. This, of course, is completely useless, worthless, and meaningless. I could get one on my new electric guillotine invention if I wished. As long as I shielded the blade!

If you know of a CE certificate from 2011, can you give us a link to that certificate? They are public when awarded. Thank you.

• Official Post

about lugano isotopic shift, the full transformation of the surface of nickel, while the reaction seems not to slow down can be explained simply.

when I cook something in my barbecue, the silver screen quickly get black and it only stop, not when the screen if fully black, but when there is no coal.

Ni isotopic shift seems simply a (probably surface only) parasitic effect.
    for Lithium isotopic shift, it may be a parasitic effect, with hydrogen being the main fuel, or part of the fuel...

there is too many possibilities to be sure of yout conspiracy theory.

what is shocking with you mary, is that you make a hard claim, 100% sure of something, facing piles of evidence that you oppose 100%, using tiny evidence by absence, or evidence by hypothetic explanation, and at the same time you pretend to be a skeptical spirit...

if you were skeptic, with all the evidence you will say that yes LENR seems proven, yes Rossi seems to run a real business with tom Darden as sponsor, but we have to be careful as it may be an incredibly rare coincidence of artifacts, and a huge international transcontinental conspiracy.

this is why I bet from the data I have of you and most of your less rational minions, that you are defending a position, not trying to weight the evidences, and warn people.

anyway I agree, that this patent is an evidence of nothing else, the fact that rossi invested money in a patent that does not even pretend to explain LENR (one huge difference with imaginary patent for perpetuum mobile), but which seems to be a pawn on a chessboard, if there is others patents around...

again the fraud is not the evident hypothesis.

• Hi all

I said the E-Cat was safety certified in 2011; this was incorrect the safety certification was granted by the independent body SGS in 2012.
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/105839897/EFA-rep-1107

Kind Regards w3alker

I suggest you read the fine print. The test, as usual, was performed by Rossi. It is not independent. It is not a valid test of any function of the "megawatt plant". It is not even a reliable certification of safety! PLEASE READ THE FINE PRINT. It's all in English. It's borderline legible but you can probably find yourself a better copy somewhere.

This so-called certification has been discussed before at length. It is entirely useless and worthless for anything.

• Official Post

The position to defend is:
    "Physics as we know it in 1988 is right."

which requires:
    LENR does not exist
    which requires
    F&P were wrong
    and
    E-cat does not work

this cannot be defended , thus best is just to attack the weakest link, Rossi, and minimize (tea kettle fallacy) the scientific evidence of LENR that cannot be ignored, and the business evidences (Tom Darden, Tohoku, NTVA...).

the symptom of the denial is the absence of any doubt in the claims of absence, and the minimization of huge possibility (that LENr exist is not important... only power count... that is anti-science and even absurd from an engineering point, as engineer can harness any tiny phenomenon with time)...

I don't even need to say E-cat works and F&P were right... just the fact that in front of those pile of evidence, the denialist don't accept even the possibility for LENr to exist, show they are not in the rationality territory.

The problem with those denialist is they don't help the real skeptics who simply want to know what is right and what is wrong in "Rossi says". You don't ask a creationist to challenge Mendel laws with epigenetic phenomenon.

• Frank on E-catworld.com asked a very excellent question which points out a major inconsistency in the entire Rossi story -- how can the nickel be a catalyst if it is converted *entirely* from Ni-58 to Ni-62 during the Lugano Experiment? Note that the answer is highly evasive, typical for Rossi. The correct answer is "it can't be true" -- either it's wrong in the patent or it's wrong in the experiment report, or, as I suspect, it's wrong in both!

Mary Yugo;
    Please note the Norman D. Cook and Andrea Rossi issued E-cat paper on ArXiv.

It is rather amusing that they also conclude as I did when I had read the Lugano report:
    - that a 0,2% Ash sample is not likely to be representative of the total
    - that there may be some isotopic separation going on with 30 days at High temperatures

And this is how they for formulate it
    "The over- whelming abundance of 62Ni34 in the ash and the virtual absence of other isotopes might nonetheless be explained as a consequence of the sampling method. Because ToF-SIMS analysis was made on milligram samples obtained specifically at regions observed under the scanning electron microscope to have undergone morphological changes, it is possible that the 62Ni34 isotopes recoiled toward the surface of the Nickel grains."

And

"Nickel was found to be encrusted on the internal surface of the reactor, from which a 2 mg sample of “ash” was obtained near to the center of the charge. Starting with an initial charge of approximately 1 gram, it cannot be said that the 2 mg sample was necessarily representative of the entire Nickel charge..."

• So you are saying that Rossi and Levi did the experiment incorrectly and made a gigantic sampling error? Isn't there a better explanation? Namely, that Rossi purchased 62-Ni and simply added it to the claimed ash sample when nobody was looking? A much better hypothesis, in my opinion.

• @Walker

Here is a better copy of the SGS certificate obtained by Rossi. Note that there is no endorsement of either safety or performance by SGS which only cites a self-certification for safety. So again, it's all Rossi says. SGS may have simply observed the external testing of the so-called power plant for SAFETY or maybe they only reviewed (worthless) documents submitted by Rossi. The report is not clear on this issue, IIRC. This is not a UL or a CE certificate. This in no way proves that the megawatt power plant works at all. It was not even tested while in operation. READ THE DOCUMENTS PLEASE.

Rossi makes it difficult or impossible to read this on his web site. This legible version is from https://docs.google.com/file/d…NadEYzbm9oNUxvOFE/preview and was uploaded by someone at e-catworld.com.

Rossi was asked for the documents SGS used to make this report and answered that those documents were covered by NDA and would not be released. They are still not released.

• Official Post

I remember that the certifications was just certifying the safety of the device...

not so interesting for the big controversy.
    The Ferrara and Lugano tests, and Tom Darden independent lest done as due diligence to allow funding are of greater importance.

• Who was awarded the potassium patent or was it deemed by Rossi and his legal team to be open source? Rossi's low heat reactor (1 Megawatt version) must use a potassium based fuel. A Lithium based fuel must run in a reactor with and operating temperature of over 1000C. Is Rossi conceding the Big cat and his tiger reactor subsystem as using and open source technology?

DGT used Potassium carbonate (K2CO3) as their fuel. This is the standard LENR catalyst. It has been used from the earliest times of LENR. Thermocore might have been the first to experiment with potassium. Potassium could support a fine LENR reactor design.

Melting point (891 °C (1,636 °F; 1,164 K)

Boiling point - decomposes.

A competitor of Rossi could develop a reactor that uses K2CO3 with no patent protection recourse from Rossi. I believe that Rossi is reserving the Lithium aluminum hydride fuel as a doorway to the direct conversion of the LENR reaction into electricity. This might be why Rossi made a point that the lithium based LENR patent was the first LENR patent to be set in place by Rossi’s team.

A way to get around the Rossi patent protection is to mix chemical compounds containing cesium, potassium and lithium together in proportions that are different from those specified by the Rossi patent.

Even if Mills does not discrib what he does in his technologies as LENR, as described by Mills in his patents, there are hundreds of chemical compound combinations that will support the LENR reaction.

These chemicals uses as fuel are not fundamental to LENR, it is what these fuels produce that results in LENR. Those more fundamental elements are nanoparticles of the proper sizes and aggregations comprised of elements and/or chemical compounds.

If you remember the story of how a LENR reaction melted and vaporized a hole in a lab table and then the reinforced concrete floor of a LENR lab just under the table, the various materials comprising that vaporized table and floor served as fuel of the LENR reaction in that amazing case.

For all those who accused Deflakion of stealing Rossi's technology. the Rossi LENR patent indicates that DGT(uses potassium) and Rossi (uses lithium) when down unrelated paths to create the LENR reaction.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.