Media/News/Video Library-No discussions please

• Appears to be fully geared towards hot fusion:

Japan fusion energy start-up a venture capital darling - Asia Times

Japan fusion energy start-up a venture capital darling

Kyoto Fusioneering’s latest capital raising is oversubscribed as big money players pile into its nuclear fusion energy ambitions

On February 2, Kyoto Fusioneering announced it had raised 1.33 billion yen (US$11.7 million) in an oversubscribed Series B funding, the second round of financing arranged for a company by venture capitalists.

Kyoto Fusioneering is a Japanese engineering company dedicated to solving the problem of global warming through the development of nuclear fusion energy, which produces no carbon dioxide. Spun out of Kyoto University in October 2019, it is Japan’s first fusion energy startup.

As noted on the company’s website: “Kyoto Fusioneering’s mission is to tackle the reactor engineering and technology challenges, whilst cooperating with fusion developers around the world, to rapidly accelerate the growth of the fusion industry.

“The company’s business model is to conduct R&D and design of innovative fusion reactor technologies, and to provide these alongside engineering solutions to both private fusion enterprises and publicly-funded fusion programs at global research institutions.”

Combining fusion energy and plant engineering technology, it develops materials, components and power generation systems, and provides engineering and design support to customers around the world.

Kyoto Fusioneering was co-founded by CEO Taka Nagao, Chief Fusioneer [CTO] Satoshi Konishi, Chief Strategist Shutaro Takeda and Chief Innovator & UK director Richard Pearson. They now have about 30 employees.

Taka Nagao, a graduate of and affiliated scientist at Kyoto University, was previously director of Corporate Strategy at Space BD, a Japanese provider of satellite launch and other space utilization services, and director and corporate strategy manager at ENERES, a Japanese energy supply-demand management and distribution services company.

Satoshi Konishi, a professor at Kyoto University’s Institute of Advanced Energy and director of its Institute of Sustainable Science, was previously chairman of the International Coordinating Committee for the ITER Test Blanket Program.

ITER is an international organization dedicated to building a nuclear fusion reactor. Its members are China, the European Union, India, Japan, South Korea, Russia, the UK and the United States.

As described on its website: “The ITER blanket, which covers a surface of 600 m², is one of the most critical and technically challenging components in ITER …

“The 440 blanket modules that completely cover the inner walls of the vacuum vessel protect the steel structure and the superconducting toroidal field magnets from the heat and high-energy neutrons produced by the fusion reactions.

“As the neutrons are slowed in the blanket, their kinetic energy is transformed into heat energy and collected by the water coolant. In a fusion power plant, this energy will be used for electrical power production ….”

Since nuclear fusion reactions can be hotter than the sun, “most critical and technically challenging” is not an understatement.

Shutaro Takeda, a professor at Kyoto University, has served as an International Program Advisory Committee Member for Fusion Enterprises Workshop at the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and as an Expert to the Fusion Energy Sciences Advisory Committee of Japan’s Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT).

Richard Pearson has a PhD in Engineering and Innovation from The Open University, UK, an MSc in Nuclear Engineering from Imperial College London, UK, and is a visiting researcher at Kyoto University. He is in charge of the company’s global marketing effort, which has already made significant progress.

Last October, it was announced that Kyoto Fusioneering had been awarded a contract to provide services to the United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority (UKAEA) under its Tritium Engineering Framework. Tritium (hydrogen-3) is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen.

• HOME | KYOTOFUSIONEERING
    ABOUT US 私たちが核融合によって切り開く未来 READ MORE TECHNOLOGY 京都発・世界最先端の炉工学技術 READ MORE TEAM 誇るべきチーム READ MORE
    kyotofusioneering.com

Definitely tritium based...

Sadly..

" In particular, advanced heat exchanger technology using the world's most advanced SiC composite cultivated over many years at Kyoto University, a tritium fuel circulation system including a special pump, a fusion power generation system using liquid metal and molten salt, or plasma heating using high-power microwaves.

• [I am not sure where to put this comment. Feel free to move it elsewhere.]

Hagelstein paper in JCMNS 35

Years ago, Peter Hagelstein wrote one of the best essays I know of about science and human nature:

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/Hagelsteinontheoryan.pdf

He wrote another wide-ranging paper in JCMNS 35: "Theory and Experiments in Condensed Matter Nuclear Science"

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/BiberianJPjcondensedzh.pdf#page=55

It is mostly technical, about theory, but it ends with this paragraph about human nature. Quote from paper:

I recall a conversation that I had in 1989 with a well-known skeptic, who explained to me that it would be really nice if the excess heat in the Fleischmann-Pons experiment was real. The key problem, he said, was that he just didn’t believe measurements done with isoperibolic calorimetry. If there were even one measurement done with a better calorimetric technique, such as flow calorimetry, then he assured me that he would become a believer in the effect. Some time later I informed him that some very nice positive excess heat results had been obtained at SRI in a flow calorimeter. He immediately became angry. He explained that the only way he would believe that energy had been produced would be if a commensurate number of neutrons were measured.

This is called "moving the goalposts." I wonder if this person even realized he was doing that. Did he realize he was contradicting his earlier statements? Surely he knew that cold fusion -- if real -- does not produce "commensurate" neutrons in the same ratio to the heat as plasma fusion does. That was one of the first things revealed about it.

I have often encountered similar attitudes. The 2004 DoE panel members opposed to cold fusion had only irrational, emotional, factually wrong arguments, listed here on p. 43:

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJresponsest.pdf

These arguments violate junior high school textbook science. It is shocking that professional scientists would make such mistakes. I cannot read minds. I do not know if the person Peter spoke to and the DoE reviewers sincerely believed what they said, or whether they were being disingenuous trolls. I usually assume that people mean what they say. I assume these people were irrational because they were ruled by emotion. Their scientific training went out the window. If they had examined some other experiments, they would not make such mistakes.

• From Jacques Ruer - the latest letter of the French SFSNMC droup.

Lettre N°31

Triste actualité et annonce du colloque Réactions Nucléaires à
    Basse Énergie 2022 de la SFSNMC
    Jacques Ruer
    30/03/2022
    Comment ne pas évoquer l’actualité et l’immense drame qui se joue en Ukraine ?
    Je suis fréquemment invité à participer en téléconférence à des réunions organisées par des
    collègues russes dont Vladimir Zatelepin et Anatoly Klimov que plusieurs d’entre vous
    doivent connaître. J’ai assisté récemment à une réunion. Je fus fort bien accueilli par
    Zatelepin qui en guise de commentaire implicite sur la situation a dit qu’il était fort content de
    constater que j’étais là ainsi que 2 collègues ukrainiens. Je l’ai remercié en commentant que
    nous vivons tous dans un monde bien petit.
    Le fait que des chercheurs que la politique devrait diviser se rejoignent lors de ces discussions
    montre que la science ne connaît pas de frontière et que le désir de mieux comprendre le
    monde est un idéal partagé par-delà les dissensions.
    Dans ma lettre 29 je soulignais l’importance que pourrait jouer l’énergie et en particulier le
    gaz russe en cas de confrontation. Nous y sommes et tout en promettant les pires sanctions à
    la Russie nous continuons à importer et à lui payer le gaz dont l’Europe ne pourrait pas se
    passer pour l’instant.
    Nos sociétés et nos économies développées ne peuvent pas fonctionner sans énergie.
    Le confort qui a bercé l’Europe ces dernières décennies a permis de croire que les problèmes
    seraient éternellement pour demain. D’où l’inertie des actions face au changement climatique,
    la frilosité concernant le développement des énergies renouvelables, le scepticisme à propos
    du déclin du pétrole ou le dédain pour la fusion froide. Il était plus simple et plus économique
    de ne pas écouter les discours de ceux qui ont pour mission de regarder vers le futur.
    La prise de conscience vient brutalement à cause d’une guerre. C’est évidemment
    extrêmement regrettable. Les souffrances infligées à des populations sont un échec de
    l’humanité.
    Après la guerre reviendra la paix. Au-delà du soulagement humain espérons que la sagesse
    enseignera de ne pas oublier que les solutions présentes ne seront jamais que provisoires, en
    particulier en ce qui concerne les énergies.
    Notre association a pour raison d’être le développement d’une nouvelle source d’énergie.
    Notre monde en a plus en plus besoin, et maintenant de façon de plus en plus urgente.
    Cette année sera marquée par plusieurs réunions internationales. On aura l’occasion d’en
    reparler.
    La SFSNMC organisera son propre colloque cette année : RNBE 2022 comme annoncé sur la
    page suivante.
    …/…
    Annonce du 4ème Symposium sur les Réactions Nucléaires à Basse Énergie
    Réactions Nucléaires à Basse Énergie de la SFSNMC – RNBE 2022
    La SFSNMC a le plaisir de vous annoncer que RNBE 2022 se tiendra à Paris :
    - Samedi 19 novembre 2022 après-midi et
    - Dimanche 20 novembre 2022 matin
    Nous espérons vous accueillir nombreux à cette occasion. Ce sera un grand plaisir de nous
    retrouver tous ensemble après cette longue séparation imposée par la pandémie. Cet
    événement peut paraître encore lointain, cependant nous aimerions recevoir dès aujourd’hui
    vos commentaires concernant RNBE 2022 :
    - Envisagez-vous de participer à cette réunion à Paris ?
    - Envisagez-vous de faire une présentation ?
    - Avez-vous des remarques ou des désirs particuliers ?
    Pour répondre à ces questions et laisser vos commentaires vous pouvez dès maintenant vous
    connectez à notre site :
    http://www.sfsnmc.org
    Nous comptons sur vous.
    Bien à vous,
    Jacques Ruer
    Président SFSNMC

TRANSLATION...

Sad news and announcement of the Nuclear Reactions symposium at

SFSNMC Low Energy 2022

Jacques Ruer

03/30/2022

How not to mention the news and the immense drama that is playing out in Ukraine?

I am frequently invited to participate by teleconference in meetings organized by

Russian colleagues including Vladimir Zatelepin and Anatoly Klimov that many of you

must know. I recently attended a meeting. I was very well received by

Zatelepin who, as an implicit comment on the situation, said that he was very happy to

to see that I was there as well as 2 Ukrainian colleagues. I thanked him commenting that

we all live in a very small world.

The fact that scholars whom politics should divide come together in these discussions

shows that science knows no borders and that the desire to better understand the

world is an ideal shared beyond dissension.

In my letter 29 I underlined the importance that could play the energy and in particular the

Russian gas in the event of a confrontation. We are there and while promising the worst sanctions to

Russia we continue to import and pay her the gas that Europe could not get away with.

pass for now.

Our developed societies and economies cannot function without energy.

The comfort that has cradled Europe in recent decades has led to the belief that the problems

would be forever for tomorrow. Hence the inertia of actions in the face of climate change,

reluctance regarding the development of renewable energies, skepticism about

the decline of oil or the disdain for cold fusion. It was simpler and more economical

not to listen to the speeches of those whose mission is to look to the future.

Awareness comes suddenly because of a war. It is obviously

extremely regrettable. The suffering inflicted on populations is a failure of

humanity.

After the war, peace will return. Beyond human relief hope wisdom

will teach us not to forget that the present solutions will never be more than provisional, in

especially with regard to energies.

Our association exists to develop a new source of energy.

Our world needs it more and more, and now more and more urgently.

This year will be marked by several international meetings. We will have the opportunity to

talk again.

The SFSNMC will organize its own symposium this year: RNBE 2022 as announced on the

next page.

…/…

Announcement of the 4th Symposium on Low Energy Nuclear Reactions

Low Energy Nuclear Reactions of the SFSNMC – RNBE 2022

The SFSNMC is pleased to announce that RNBE 2022 will be held in Paris:

- Saturday 19 November 2022 afternoon and

- Sunday 20 November 2022 morning

We hope to welcome many of you on this occasion. It will be a great pleasure from us

find all together after this long separation imposed by the pandemic. This

event may still seem distant, however we would like to receive today

your comments regarding RNBE 2022:

- Do you plan to participate in this meeting in Paris?

- Do you plan to make a presentation?

- Do you have any particular comments or wishes?

To answer these questions and leave your comments, you can now

connect to our site:

SFSNMC | Société Française de la Science Nucléaire dans la Matière Condensée

We are counting on you.

Good for you,

Jacques Ruer

President SFSNMC

• Old interview from Bob Greenyer

some fact much speculation

..just posted

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• A very instructive video about how Wright Brother's invented planes.

I thinks it can inspire LENR researshers today...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Note also the paper by JedRothwell

The Wright Brothers and Cold Fusion

this old news from SciAm

The Wright Aeroplane and its Fabled Performance

Roots of Progress https://rootsofprogress.org/ is a very interesting blog on inventions, and innovation.

But really the video should orientate the LENR inventors. Among which:

• beware of being over funded
    • keep focussed
    • no public demon until you really master the process
    • solve the fundamental problem until moving to a bigger
    • look where other failed
    • reconsider accepted data, do your own research
    • be methodical
    • underpromiss and overdeliver

Note to mods: feel free to move/copy/edit... ;)

“Only puny secrets need keeping. The biggest secrets are kept by public incredulity.” (Marshall McLuhan)
    twitter @alain_co

• This is a full-length video of the opening day of the conference on existential risk. It's 8h.28m long, but if you can watch the first 20 minutes, Martin Rees introduction. The other days are also going to be made available, I will hunt out Dennis Bushnell's contribution when I can.

• Frank Gordon Interview by Steven Krivit from 2008

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.