Calibrating an IR Thermometer

• This evening I ran a series of voltages through a Kanthal wound alumina tube in free air, yielding temperatures from 350 to 1100 C. The tube was instrumented with a Lumasense IR thermometer focused on the heater windings and a type K TC inserted into the alumina tube. The Kanthal wire was not covered with ceramic cement and presented a dark gray appearance. The Lumasense thermometer was operated in the 4-20 ma mode into a 250 ohm resistor, yielding a 1V (350 C) to 4V (1800 C) span. Emissivity was set at 100%, for now. Results showed a relatively poor match between the the TC temperature and the output voltage of the IR thermometer based on the span temperature limits. It was, however, possible to obtain an excellent match if the IR thermometer voltage readings were fit with a 1st order polynomial. See the attached figure for details. My recommendation for anyone using an IR thermometer is to calibrate it against a reliable standard such as a TC.

Jeff

• It is so useful.I bought an" IR Laser Point Infrared Digital Thermomete "from getone , just $9.99, very good for what its worth, fast shipping ,i received it in 15 days.Also good quality ,reliable!

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.