Roland Bénabou : The Economics of Motivated Beliefs

• Official Post

Roland Bénabou publish a new paper on his site.
    I often refer to him about groupthink theory, as he propose a model of Mutual Assured Delusion.

His new paper is "The Economics of Motivated Beliefs"
    http://www.princeton.edu/~rbenabou/papers/REP_4_BW_nolinks_corrected 1.pdf

• Official Post

I corrected the link which was bad (space in it)

For the context, Wikipedia provide good entry information on groupthink ,and especially the criteria :

• Official Post

In the context of Mutual Assured Delusion, that I call the consensus by terror there is a well known quote

http://quotes.liberty-tree.ca/quote/alan_bullock_quote_cda5

Quote from Allan Bullock

"No one understood better than Stalin that the true object of propaganda is neither to convince nor even to persuade, but to produce a uniform pattern of public utterance in which the first trace of unorthodox thought immediately reveals itself as a jarring dissonance."

This helps to explain how the jokes, insults, despite the frauds and lack of arguments, the opposing data, the violation of ethics and rules, are so efficients to maintain a pathological consensus.

Note that there is such subject that now, I don't even correct my daughter of 5 when she repeat the propaganda, by fear to cause her problems. I have heard retire professor saying they refused to propose studies to young students by fear to cause them trouble. That is when consensus is enforced by terror. Biberian explained how CEA flee of the domain despite good results by feed of "unnobelizability" of the lab. Miles despite his good work, as McKubre has to flee, and Bockris even filed a complain for harassment after 3 negative inquiries.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.