Is LENR just "amplified" muon catalyzed fusion (MCF)?

• I wonder if the lasers in Holmlids experiments are required to produce the rydberg matter, cause it to form UDD or initiate its "muon fusion" type behaviour?

I remember a while back Axil explained to me about how Rydberg Hydrogen matter forms in 2d crystals and in fact they can stack into threads. I wonder if Deuterium is used if this the same as UDD?

Could threads of Rydberg Matter like this resonate with particular frequencies and have a "thermal" phonon effect as has been discussed elsewhere? And would this have a characteristic frequency? Could the laser used by Holmlid excite this resonance at higher frequency compared to thermal resonance in this ultra dense material for example?

On a sperate point would Muonic deuterium be special in some way? The orbital muon would spend relatively more time in the nucleus when it does would there be a net charge impact in the nucleus. Could this also disturb significantly the coulomb barrier, and perhaps even perturb the nucleus.

• @StephenC: as far as I understand the laser isn't required. UDD is formed as soon as hydrogen/deuterium is flowed through the potassium/iron-oxide catalyst and desorbs from its surface above a certain temperature. Fusion and other reactions in the UDD layer can occur spontaneously as Holmlid and Ólafsson documented in a peer-reviewed in a paper published earlier this year: Spontaneous ejection of high-energy particles from ultra-dense deuterium D(0).

This is also why I'm saying that one should pay close attention to their work. If dense forms of hydrogen are produced when hydrogen atoms desorb from the hydrogen dissociation catalyst they are using in their experiments, the same must be occurring in LENR experiments, and the anomalous effects observed so far are probably also due to it.

EDIT: url and wording corrected.

• Interesting 30MeV is about the difference in mass between a Pion 136 MeV and a Muon 106 MeV, but I read somewhere normally we would expect most the energy to be released in the Muon neutrino about 26 MeV and 4 MeV in the Muon. I appreciate he is talking about neutral particles though, but I can't help wondering if the energy released in Pion decay somehow generates these particles.

Could the initial trigger in the laser less experiment come from a cosmic radiation generated muon or is the apparatus shielded from this?

• Could the initial trigger in the laser less experiment come from a cosmic radiation generated muon or is the apparatus shielded from this?

I'm not sure I am able to answer this. I haven't seen mentioned that some sort of shielding was used in the experiments described in the papers from Holmlid et al. I've skimmed through lately.

However, in Muon detection studied by pulse-height energy analysis: Novel converter arrangements (which was free to download when it was published, now it's not apparently) it's reported that :

Two different sources for producing H(0) have been used for this study. They are similar to a source described in a previous publication. Potassium-doped iron oxide catalyst samples (cylindric pellets) in the sources produce the ultra-dense H(0) from hydrogen or deuterium gas flow at pressures of 10^(−5) – 100 mbars. The sources give a slowly decaying muon signal for several hours and days after being used for producing H(0). They can be triggered to increase the muon production by laser irradiation inside the chambers or sometimes even by turning on the fluorescent lamps in the laboratory for a short time.

That seems pretty sensitive.

• @StephenC

A supernova is obviously a different environment than that discussed in Leif Holmlid experiment and the article does not talk at all about either cold or hot fusion but I wonder if the high temperatures and energies produced by the lasers might be creating a similar environment on a local scale that has a similar atomic effect that LENR can then maybe take advantage of.

One of the major functions that LENR must fulfill is the reception, concentration, and amplification of energy from the external environment and the conversion of that power into magnetism. That external energy is light in one form or another.

In LENR engineering, the structure that first captures the light energy is the lattice substrate. Without this substrate, LENR does not happen unless the source of light is very powerful. Three examples of this substrate and their associated systems are as follows: In the Rossi’s E-Cat, the Lattice is the 100 micron nickel particle that Rossi produces in fuel preprocessing. This particle is an antenna that optimally receives infrared light(heat) and converts this light energy into dipole motion. This electron motion produces an alternating current at high frequency.

The next example is Holmlid’s iridium powder holder that holds iron oxide potassium particles. This metal lattice optimally absorbs light in the green-blue to UV range. This lattice will also convert this high frequency light into alternating current.

The structure that converts and amplifies this alternating current into magnetism is nano particles of hydrogen, potassium, or lithium. This rydberg matter are nanowires that only allows this alternating current to flow in one direction. This EMF power can only collect into balls of power. These particles also mix electrons and light photons together to form polaritons. At the tips of the nanowires and the points of were they touch each other, vortexes of polaritons form these rings of EMF are call solitons of polaritons (SPP). It is these rings of EMF energy that store large amounts of power and produce magnetic beams that cause the LENR effect. They are black holes of EMF where energy goes in but does not come out.

Another antenna method that seems to work is the metal foam powder holders that DGT came up with. This network of fine nickel wires acts like a backplane that caries the received EMF produced by the spark that DGT used to pump EMF power into the 5 micron nickel particles. DGT also produced rydberg matter which generated the SPPs.

Without the lattice that receives and directs the EMF into the nanopowder, a powerful light source such as a laser will be powerful enough to produce LENR in just nanopowder alone.

This particular behavior was observed in experiments where a laser irradiated gold nanopowder dissolved in water. The uranium and thorium salts that was dissolved in that water underwent a fission reaction. This says that muons where produced to canalize fission instead of neutrons.

On the other hand, Holmlid does not need a laser to produce muons because the iridium powder holder is an antenna that is sensitive enough to receive and concentrate light from his lab’s florescent lights. But the gold powder which does not have a lattice substrate to help it, would not react to generate muons using just room lighting; these nanoparticles require a powerful light source like a laser to produce the magnetic power strong enough to generate muons.

• This may have been cited here before, but to me it is new and well worth the easy read. Interesting muon versatility is explicitly accepted by Funamori et al at:

http://www.nature.com/articles/srep08437

These authors consider a positive muon to be the equivalent of an "isotope" of the proton-- a fascinating stretch of the older atomic isotopic concept. They also give arguments that muonium is present in terrestrial minerals, through electron capture. Perhaps something akin to this might apply to LENR phenomena--- even more so if similar processes operate in the reverse direction. That is, under appropriate conditions a proton may catalyzed to "decay" to form a positive muon with the conservation of mass/energy being maintained by kinetic energy imparted to one or more participating components.

Hydrogen in the Earth's deep interior has been thought to exist as a
    hydroxyl group in high-pressure minerals. We present Muon Spin Rotation
    experiments on SiO2 stishovite, which is an archetypal
    high-pressure mineral. Positive muon (which can be considered as a light
    isotope of proton) implanted in stishovite was found to capture
    electron to form muonium (corresponding to neutral hydrogen). The
    hyperfine-coupling parameter and the relaxation rate of spin
    polarization of muonium in stishovite were measured to be very large,
    suggesting that muonium is squeezed in small and anisotropic
    interstitial voids without binding to silicon or oxygen. These results
    imply that hydrogen may also exist in the form of neutral atomic
    hydrogen in the deep mantle.

It certainly is an eye-opener to see the conjunction of muons, muonium, prrotons and MOS (metal oxide semiconductor) structures, all in the context of our own planet's likely mantle geochemistry and geophysics. The article confirms recent ideas that mass arithmetic and other limitations by conventional collisional physics (that is deduced from accelerator, artificial plasmas (NIF, solar observations, and thermonuclear blasts) is once again likely not the whole story. Note the authors postulate a reaction or configuration of Si4+ --> 4H+, reminiscent of the tetrahedral or 4 nucleon transmutation evidence often reported.

As always in the history of science, we often only see what we are prepared to see, or only accept what we have come to expect. It is a natural limitation on our perceptions. Often useful, but sometimes debilitating.

[ I give again the caution that processes which are "too easy" can have "impossible" implications for cosmological evolution, and in this case, depending on the concentration or abundance in the mantle or core, even for geothermal processes including the magnitude of terrestrial interior heat balance and heat flow... once attributed largely to natural radioactive decays.]

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.