Tube Reactor design

• @me356: if you think the wire is somehow still generating excess heat, then it should be possible to deactivate it by heating the reactor to temperatures such that all surface nano/micro-structures will be destroyed (melted/fully sintered). In absence of more reliable ways for measuring the heat generated (eg mass flow calorimetry), I think this would be a better test for establishing that something anomalous is going on and that the source is the wire.

• Could a verification calibration run with an "inert" powder (such as sand) and TiH2 be performed? If there is indeed excess heat then the calibration run should be similar to the original calibration run. It would be good to determine if the results are indeed from excess heat and not some sort of conduction effect of the high pressure hydrogen.

EDIT: I just remembered that this reactor uses the Nickel in the heater wire instead of separate Nickel powder fuel charge so this probably won't be possible unless the heater wire is coated with something.

• At 400`C, the power is lower by 2 or 3 W than before. This means that the excess is a bit more this time.
    However I'm not completely convinced yet, we need a calibration again, or better, calorimetry. I recommend a calibration using a steel wire and LiAlH4.
    Most probably, adding more Ni wires inside will increase the COP significantly.

• @me356: assuming there is excess heat and that it's being produced by hydrogen flowing through active sites on the nickel wire and at the interface between the wire and the internal alumina tube, what about cycling power between the current power level and a lower one at a rate like 1 minute low power (or no power) / 4 minutes high power? There should also be a limited hydrogen gettering action by the titanium powder at this temperature and pressure range.

• Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately it is not possible to program regulation in this way yet. But I want to implement it in the way that it can load the file with instructions so then I can script it as I wish.

Temperature seems to be unstable more and more. So it might be interesting to wait at the same level for now.

• @me356: my primary point is that it should be possible to cause pressure changes like you've done with lithium in the past weeks. Given the possibility that excess heat might be occurring, it could be worth trying that manually a few times before shutting down the experiment. In addition of potentially being able to trigger something at the Ni wire, LENR effects might occur in the Ti powder itself, especially during abrupt temperature changes or even thermal shocks (although reports of LENR from such experiments with Ti powder usually indicated deuterium being used).

As a side note, according to the phase diagram I previously posted much of the hydrogen is likely still alloyed with the Ti powder. It looks like complete hydrogen release only occurs above 1000°C.

• Official Post

for reference, gamma CPM ranged 15-40, sometimes peaking just below 50, during calibration too. Any correlation with heat at this level might be due to convection currents from the hot reactor affecting it. Apparently, that counter is somewhat sensitive to temperature.

as I remember edmund Storms observed such an artefact in hi current tests.
    His radiation detectors suffered temperature bias, making false impression of radiation increase with temperature.

• Well then, seems I did misinterpret Me356's comment. Very interesting Ecco, thanks for that! I agree that it's a good idea to try to kill the thing and see if that is possible. At the very least at the end of all the tests. Can't heat too hot or the wire could be physically broken. Probably a quenching method that could be used.

• I think that working with hydrogen bottle is safer in some areas. But there are also next possibilities, that could end fatally.
    If you are working with powder in correct environment, you can't do anything wrong. You can work with amount you wish and such amount is mostly very, very small.
    In our experiments not more than 1g.
    If you have hydrogen bottle, releasing 1g or 20grams might be without any noticement. Hydrogen can autoignite with air in some condictions, if you are overlooking some sealing issue, then your room or container may be full of hydrogen. This can't absolutely happen with powder. You can't exctract more hydrogen than what you have loaded.

LiAlH4 is not without hazards of its own. Besides the 4 moles of hydrogen that can be generated from one mole of LiAlH4 with water:
    LiAlH4 + 4 H2O → LiOH + Al(OH)3 + 4 H2--- (molecular wt. of LiAlH4 is about 38, 4 H2 is about 8, so about 4.75 g of the solid hydride gives a gram of hydrogen. Put another way, one gram of LiAlH4 with water generates 0.21 g. of hydrogen, at 22.4 mol / liter, that says it can release about 2.2 liters of hydrogen gas.

Either the hydride or hydrogen in small quantities can still give a nasty surprise, if rapid oxidation of hydrogen with air drives glass or metal into vital tissues such as the eyes.

But, we still have not defined the lack, or presence, of an aneutronic production of beryllium from this system. Beryllium 8 from addition of a proton to the natural 92% lithium 7 immediately decays to two alphas of low penetration energy (at 103 keV, generally harmless unless the decay occurred inside living cells).

HOWEVER, if Be is produced from say the 7+% lithium 6 natural component and yields 7Be it is an entirely different story. Be 7 has all the extreme physiological toxicity of beryllium itself, as I mentioned here some months back, but further, unlike the beryllium 8 with prompt decay to helium, the beryllium 7 isotope is radioactive, having a 54.5 day half life releasing a 479 keV gamma. Freethinker's recent CPM reports remind us we do not yet understand everything concerning this LENR system.

• Well, I am very optimistic about my results. The only thing I want to do is to boost the effect.

I am also sure that with induction heater same effect can be achieved, but calibration is not that simple in this case.
    I am thinking about combination of induction heater with classic heater so it can be as simple as possible.

• It seems that in addition to the danger of working with hydrogen now there's berylliosis to be concerned about. Problem related to using other than bottled H2 as a hydrogen source. Lithium becoming both chemically and radioactively poisonous as magnified by transmutation. It'll be necessary not to breathe in the room where fusion is underway.

• Rydberg Matter Fuel Preparation

Why does the LeClair reactor produce radiation and neutrons and the device invented by James Griggs does not?

It’s a matter of temperature. The James Griggs device runs at an operating temperature of 400F, whereas, the LeClair reactor is not pressurized and does not.

Since the Hydrogen Rydberg matter is a bigger molecule than the water molecule, it might be possible to capture the rydberg matter from the Griggs device using a properly sized filtration device placed in the flow of the circulating water and remove this filter as a feedstock for a laser based or electric arc based LENR reactor. The high power potential of an electric motor will dump a significant amount of power into the water thus amplifying the rate of production of rydberg matter. Any level of power could be applied to the water to speed Rydberg matter production.

The level of Rydberg matter production could be determined by exposure of a photographic emulsion to the water filters.

Joe Papp used this method of fuel preprocessing to form a Rydberg matter fortified water solution that he used as an explosive and fuel for his engine.

Just like Papp did, other elements like chlorine might be added to the water to enhance the explosive effect. Papp used a electric arc to activate and liberate power production from his fuel.

If a nickel or silica aeroform is used as a filter, a Rossi like tube reactor could be fueled with the powder make from the powdered aerofoam.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The assumption here is that the SPP is the only cause for LENR in all its various forms. Also, Rydberg matter is the same no matter how you create it.

For example, R Mills is reinventing the Papp engine in the Suncell and so is Holmlid. Papp was first and the best so far. Give that devil his due. I am not disposed to forgo a valuable tool in LENR engineering just because its inventor was a SOB.

No replicator could get the Papp engine to work because of the tricky requirement for fuel preparation. We know now that the fuel used in LENR in all its forms must be prepared in a time intensive process. This preparation takes a lot of time and a lot of energy. The solitons that produce the LENR reaction hold a huge amount of energy.

The situation is like a car with a battery the size of a building. It takes a long time to pump power into that energy storage device before it becomes active enough to produce high grade power with a high enough voltage. This is what Holmlid tells us. He says that it takes weeks of applying Laser power before the catalyst becomes active.

Lasers and dipoles don’t talk well together. Lasers produce plain waves at a single frequency and dipoles don’t take kindly to that type of EMF. An electron and a photon must have the same energy level to join together to become a polariton. That marriage needs a common energy level. Only a meager number of dipoles finely tuned to the exact frequency of the laser will become entangled. If there is lots of bumps and nanocavities in the substrate, then the Laser light will become decoherent. Decoherent light( from an arc that R. Mills uses in the Suncell) is best so that dipoles of any stage of development will become polaritons. A scattered shot cloud from a shotgun is better at downing a clay pigeon than a 22 is.

Up until now, LENR replicators do not preprocess the fuel that they use and they don’t wait long enough for the LENR reaction to take hold. No one wants to invest the time and energy to properly prepare the fuel.

This is a lessen that we can draw from Joe Papp. No one understood the reason why he invented a fuel preparation process. If the Papp fuel was not preprocessed, the Papp engine would need to crank for a week before it kicked over. Papp knew he had to load a lot of energy into that fuel before it became active.

If we have a trillion SPPs each needing a full charge of 1,000,000 GeV before they all become active, that implies that a great deal of energy is needed to charge up that fuel.

The various ways currently invented to inject energy into that fuel have differing power loading potential. Heat is the least effective method. Lasers seem to be somewhat more powerful but a few weeks to get the Holmlid fuel up to speed indicates to us that Laser power is marginal. Spark discharge and cavitation seem to be the most powerful method of power injection.

We can determine how long cavitation takes to charge up the LENR fuel by seeing how long it takes for gammas to appear after the pump is turned on in the LeClair reactor.

DGT could start their reaction in a few hours because an electric arc is a powerful source of incoherent EMF power.

After they saw what problems that Rossi was having, their reactor design goal was to start and stop their reactor on a dime and from what I saw, they succeeded.

Holmlid’s effect is difficult to duplicate because most replicators don’t have the patience to wait for weeks to see positive results.

The choice before the replicator is plainly stated; he can use a powerful source of incoherent energy or he could just wait for weeks while energy trickles into his power hungry fuel.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.