Tube Reactor design

• @axil: I won't comment your entire post as it would take ages and derail the thread, but if the point in LENR experiments is causing as much hydrogen as possible to desorb in large amounts from the active material and doing it continuously (ie having a flowing stream of hydrogen on it), then a possible way for achieving this could be doing it by mechanical means. A modified piston engine (for example from an air compressor) with the active powder or pellet located on the cylinder head could therefore work.

I guess this would make the experiment closer to a Papp engine.

@ogfusionist: and this would likely also work for the Al2O3-NiO supported nanocatalyst you've often suggested employing.
    It wouldn't be a very simple experiment however.

• Your assumption that rydberg matter alone is the cause of the reaction is not correct, IMHO. It is only a means. It's the application of optical power to lots of rydberg hydrogen that does the trick. An electric arc near a catalyst in a hydrogen flow that is filtered. We need the arc to produce the SPPs and fill them to the brim with energy.

Background:

The Hydrogen Rydberg matter acts as an antenna to receive optical energy.The large rust particles convert the laser light to dipole motion. The small nanowires of the hydrogen matter act like sharp tips to concentrate the dipole power. The polaritons only allow dipole power to flow superconductivly in the outway direction away from the big microparticles. This flow is called topolariton flow.

https://physics.aps.org/synops…10.1103/PhysRevX.5.031001

polariton power build up on the tips of the Rydberg matter were it accumulates open endedly.

When laser light hits the rust particles (left), it generates surface plasmon polariton waves that converge and interfere (fano resonance) at the sharp tip of the hydrogen nanowire to create a nondiffracting beam (orange). It is this magnetic beam (localized cosine-Gauss beam) that produces subatomic particles.

Because the rydberg matter has a huge curvature (it is very sharp), it amplifies the polariton energy greatly. This amplification goes as the size of the rust particle divided by the size of the tip of the rydberg matter: hundreds of billions.

The polariton spin is two. So the product of two times the polariton count (N) times hundreds of billions(maybe as high as 10^^20) is the magnetic power projected in the beam.

Other types of Rydberg matter will work like hydrogen but not as well. These types like lithium and potassium produce nanowire that are not as sharp as hydrogen. The sharper, the more powerful.

We know that the SPPs can free themselves from the substrate because we see their tracts on photographic emulsions. They float around like ball lightning. So we also need to entrap them in the filter also. But they are not easy to trap because they pass through matter. They are dark matter.

• @axil: since reactions within the dense hydrogen rydberg matter generated have been observed to also spontaneously occur (albeit at a slower rate) it would probably not take much else to eventually see something, provided that enough of it is produced (which could have possibly not been the case in that report of failed replication in the latest SRI meeting).

However if one already managed to adapt a piston engine to a LENR experiment, I guess it would be trivial to also add high voltage spark ignition, especially if it's an automotive combustion engine that we're speaking of.

• &" ogfusionist: and this would likely also work for the Al2O3-NiO supported nanocatalyst you've often suggested employing.
    It wouldn't be a very simple experiment however."

What could be simpler? Load an Al2O3 cylinder with ultrafine nickelous oxide suspended on alumina fiberfrax and flow hydrogen gas through the cylinder. Fusion initiates at 830 C.

• What could be simpler? Load an Al2O3 cylinder with ultrafine nickelous oxide suspended on alumina fiberfrax and flow hydrogen gas through the cylinder. Fusion initiates at 830 C.

I meant that it wouldn't be simple to run this in a modified piston engine. The modified piston engine part especially.

However, In a regular reactor tube with external hydrogen feed like you're often suggesting, it would be a simple experiment.

• &"I meant that it wouldn't be simple to run this in a modified piston engine. The modified piston engine part especially.
    However, In a regular reactor tube with external hydrogen feed like you're often suggesting, it would be a simple experiment."

Sorry I strayed off the post subject. Your correct for fueling piston engines, I was thinking of abandoning this mode and jumping to electric propulsion. The put-put horseless carriage has had its day and moving ahead is long overdue.

• @me356: some ideas. Thanks to a suggestion on ECW I realized that the 2014 [lexicon]Industrial Heat[/lexicon] patent includes some more information on the internal reaction chamber used in the Lugano experiments than previously assumed. Some claims are interesting on that regard, especially claims 0069-0077. For example:

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=WO2015127263&recNum=1&maxRec=&office=&prevFilter=&sortOption=&queryString=&tab=PCTDescription

http://i.imgur.com/n2x0SEl.jpg

[...] Although the reaction chamber 12 is illustrated as a cylinder, the reaction chamber may have other shapes in other embodiments which may have cross-section which may be a regular polygon and/or any closed geometric shape.

[...] The reaction chamber 12 may be formed of any suitable thermally conductive material, such as ceramic and/or a metal. [...] The reaction chamber 12 may be formed and/or may otherwise include a metal, such as stainless steel. For example, stainless steel 306, 310, and 316 are each suitable.

[...] When stainless steel or other electrically conductive material is included, resistance wires 16 may be separated from the electrically conductive material to prevent arcing or other forms of electrical interference. For example, a ceramic material may be included between the electrically conductive material of the chamber 12 and resistance wires 16.

[...] the reaction chamber 12 may have one or more guides, such as provided by a grooved surface, in order to receive the wires 16 therein. Positioning the wires 16 on a grooved surface may reduce a risk of or prevent the wires 16 from touching or arcing, thus reducing failures.

From this I infer that the internal tube in the Lugano experiment could potentially have been made of stainless steel, have had a non-cylindrical cross section (imagine like a Torx socket) and been electrically insulated from the heating wires using a ceramic layer. Using alumina or a similar ceramic for the internal tube doesn't sound necessary after all. However it looks as if electrically insulating the powder might be.

• @me356: I think you're heating your wire excessively for absorption. Palladium isn't capable of absorbing much hydrogen at high temperature and relatively low pressure. See this diagram:

At 350°C at the current pressure the maximum H/Pd ratio should be less than 0.05.
    In reality it will be probably even less as the local temperature will be higher.

On the other hand, perhaps you could take advantage of this for quickly releasing hydrogen just by increasing input power, once loading at lower temperatures is accomplished.

• Thanks for the info.

So it still look like there is no excess heat. COP is even under 1.
    This mean, that the heater/fuel material is really important and in the previous test there was some Nickel reaction.
    It also exclude excess heat because of hydrogen thermal conductivity.

• Huh. It's almost 100 C lower for the same power in as with the nickel-hydrogen. That does remove a great many variables, as a control. Fantastic idea, me356. Also interesting that the Pd doesn't work under these conditions. Hydrogen loading is likely key, as expected.

• We can't be sure in anything, but there is high probability, that reactor with nickel heater produced excess heat while very same reactor with palladium heater is not producing excess heat.
    We can't of course compare power directly, so only COP with respect to the calibrations.

Maybe next week I will build new ~1kW version of the reactor which can produce much more heat. I plan to use some sort of calorimetry so it might be interesting.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.