New Dubinko preprint

• "Nuclear catalysis mediated by localized anharmonic vibrations" http://arxiv.org/abs/1510.06081
    ABSTRACT:
    In many-body nonlinear systems with sufficient anharmonicity, a special kind of lattice vibrations, namely, Localized Anharmonic Vibrations (LAVs) can be excited either thermally or by external triggering, in which the amplitude of atomic oscillations greatly exceeds that of harmonic oscillations (phonons) that determine the system temperature. Coherency and persistence of LAVs may have drastic effect on quantum tunneling due to correlation effects discovered by Schrodinger and Robertson in 1930. These effects have been applied to the tunneling problem by a number of authors, who demonstrated a giant increase of sub-barrier transparency during the increase of the correlation coefficient at a special high-frequency periodic action on quantum system. Recently, it has been proposed that discrete breathers (a sub-class of LAVs arising in periodic systems) present the most natural and efficient way to produce correlation effects in regular crystals due to time-periodic modulation of the potential well (or the Coulomb barrier) width and hence to act as breather nano-colliders catalyzing [lexicon]low energy nuclear reactions[/lexicon] (LENR) in solids. It has been shown that the tunneling probability for the D-D fusion under electrolysis of heavy water increases enormously with increasing number of oscillations resulting in the fusion rates comparable with those observed experimentally. In the present paper, we discuss possible ways of engineering the nuclear-active environment (NAE) and catalyzing LENR in NAE based on the LAV concept. We propose some practical ways of catalyzing LENR that are based on a special electro-magnetic treatment or electron irradiation, which trigger LAVs in crystals and clusters.

• Localized anharmonic vibrations are an interesting and phenomena and offer something that is rare among LENR theories: namely the ability to simulate multi-atom configurations and generate quantitative results based on well understood quantum mechanical principles. Ab initio DFT calculations have been confirmed against measurements for such key characteristics as inter-atomic distances, electron density, and molecular dissociation energy. It would be interesting indeed to simulate Ni/H or Ni/H/Li systems and see if they yield any additional insights regarding inter-nuclear distances and tunneling enhancements. I also wonder if there are any public domain simulation tools available. I have heard that VASP is sort of public domain but do not know much about its capabilities. In any case, I suspect such tools require compute capabilities well beyond that of a PC.

There are other tantalizing aspects to LAVs. They have a long lifetime and may undergo thousands of oscillations during that time. In his recent book Edmund Storms postulates that the lack of high energy products during LENR is due to a gradual release of energy over many cycles. This would accord with the periodic and long lived nature of LAVs.

It is not clear to me whether there exists a physical theory for the gradual release of nuclear scale energy over a long time frame and at distances that are ~100x greater than the nuclear radius. Typical high energy explanations may not be of much use because they assume near instantaneous reaction times occurring over distances that are on the order of the dimensions of a nucleus. Does anyone out there have knowledge of how to extend Fermi’s Golden Rule Equation to the time and distance scales found in LAVs? Are there other methods of analyzing nuclear interactions?

• Official Post

Very interesting, even if it is had to understand the real conclusion.

As I understand this mean that LAV/DB/BNC not only increase localisation of energy (not enough for hot fusion?) but more than that create an entanglement that make tunneling easier , allowing fusion.

There is a link with THz vibrations?

My armchair intuition is that it would be valuable to connect this LAV concept, the associated entanglement, with the vision of Edmund Storms.

For me, Edmund Storms propose two level of theory.

One is the Crack theory with hydroton, that I consider as a overspecified answer, maybe right, but probably not the only answer. Anyway it may be interesting to apply LAV theory to the concept of hydroton.

However for me the best proposal of Edmund Storms is a more general vision of the theory.

As I understand, he concludes there is a NAE, which is a quantum object, of big size, insulated from the chemical environment, emerging from the entanglement of many particle, probably hydrogen.

He also propose that the quantum NAE object radiates low energy photons (keV,eV) like any atom, which is "cooling", because this object have many energy level organized in fine structure.

Finally he proposes that those energy level involve the energy of merging nucleons, and that only when the entanglement is broken, does the fusion emerge as a final real state. The strangeness is how the fine structure of NAE would split the energy of fusion in keV-separated collective-state transitions.

For me this vision is much more robust that Hydroton, and may apply to similarly behaving NAE, like WLS coherent patches of protons, of heavy electrons, of Kim-Zubarev BEC, ...

My question would be if LAV on an hydroton could allow a quantum object to emerge, with fine energy structure involving nucleus interaction forces.

• Official Post

I understood few point, from his previous papers.
    see thread: Energy localisation (discrete breathers/superoscillations)

One is that Discrete Breather, BNC, LAV are of the family of the "rogue waves", those huge impossible wave observed in the ocean in some strange situations. they are of the family of solitons, nonlinearities that are conserved and pump the energy of usual wave in non-linear systems.

The way it works is from something similar to parametric oscilators. the idea is to be compared with a kid moving on a child's swing. if the kid move , standing then sitting, he changes the parameter of the harmonic oscillator, it's resonance frequency. if he does that at the same rhythm as the swing, or at twice this rhythm, then he can pump energy into the swing and cause it to go higher.

a finding of Dubinko is that LAV ot only allows energy to concentrate more locally, but the objects concerned get entangled and strongly correlated at the quantum level.

this seems, if I understand well, to increase the probability of quantum tunneling, allowing fusion at lower energy.

for me it is a key concept, but it need to be adapted to LENR, and I feel from my armchair that it may improve Edmund Storms, or Widom-Larsen-Srivastava-Swain theories.

one is that Discrete Breather, BNC, LAV are of the family of the "rogue waves", those huge impossible wave observed in the ocean in some strange situations. they are of the family of solitons, nonlinearities that are conserved and pump the energy of usual wave in non-linear systems.

the way it works is from something similar to parametric oscilators. the idea is to be compared with a kid moving on a child's swing. if the kid move , standing then sitting, he changes the parameter of the harmonic oscillator, it's resonance frequency. if he does that at the same rhythm as the swing, or at twice this rhythm, then he can pump energy into the swing and cause it to go higher.

a finding of Dubinko is that LAV ot only allows energy to concentrate more locally, but the objects concerned get entangled and strongly correlated at the quantum level.

this seems, if I understand well, to increase the probability of quantum tunneling, allowing fusion at lower energy.

for me it is a key concept, but it need to be adapted to LENR, and I feel from my armchair that it may improve Edmund Storms, or Widom-Larsen-Srivastava-Swain theories.

• I also wonder if there are any public domain simulation tools available. I have heard that VASP is sort of public domain but do not know much about its capabilities. In any case, I suspect such tools require compute capabilities well beyond that of a PC.

If there are no such tools, I think it should be possible to get some basic estimates using semi-empirical equations, e.g., with a Python script that you write. Such an approach will not require any computing power. It can be used to refine various hypotheses and rule out unpromising ideas, prior to investing any time in a cpu-intensive simulation.

It is not clear to me whether there exists a physical theory for the gradual release of nuclear scale energy over a long time frame and at distances that are ~100x greater than the nuclear radius.

One of the reasons I think the emission-of-small-photons approach is on the wrong track has to do with how the nuclear interaction behaves. It is a bit like the behavior of extremely strong neodymium magnets, but even more extreme, and working at shorter range. Imagine holding two such magnets quite close to one another, but not allowing them to touch. Now bring them a little closer together. Eventually they'll snap together with a powerful snap that you will be unable to prevent just using your hands. This is what the nuclear potential looks like. Ed Storms wants either to make the nuclear potential much more long range and less steep, or, as he describes, he wants to have nuclei shed mass-energy before they've come within range of the nuclear force.

Coming to an understanding of what's going on in LENR is largely about choosing the battles you want to fight. If one chooses these particular battles, there's going to be a lot of experimental evidence to the contrary that one is going to have to contend with. In other words, one is going to have to come up with new physics. I'm optimistic that no new physics are required.

• I'm optimistic that no new physics are required.

What is new physics anyway? There are a lot of theories out there in the physics world that have been predicted by the mathematical extension of existing theories. An example is anti-matter which was predicted 30 years before it was found. Then there is the Higgs Boson; that took 60 years to find...the neutrino... They are still looking for Supersymmetry...gravity waves...dark matter...dark energy...parallel universes...11 dimensions...

• Official Post

Ed Storms wants either to make the nuclear potential much more long range and less steep, or, as he describes, he wants to have nuclei shed mass-energy before they've come within range of the nuclear force.

You are right on that problem, but the solutions , and the solution for any LENR theory, is that there is collective behavior.

You reasoning is perfect for 2 bodies... it cannot work.

However except maybe LAV/DB/BNC, I don't see any mechanism to couple/entangle nucleus over such a wide range.
    Now in my vision , is it possible that a thousands of protons, insulated in a NAE schrodinger-cat-box, became so much entangled that they emit thousands of quanta of energy, fusing thousands of thousandth of protons, and finally getting out of the schrodinger-cat box with one single nucleus fused, because one have to pay the bill?

• After doing a bit of a web search there are indeed public domain molecular dynamics tools. One that looks particularly interesting is called CP2K. They have a website that lists some of the applications to which the tool was applied. Some of these include metal-hydrogen systems. It supports many of the algorithms and models commonly used in molecular dynamics, perhaps most importantly phonons and the B-O approximation. I may download the tool and see if I can get it to work on simple problems such as a single water molecule or H2 dissociation on a metal surface.

• LAVs exhibit two unusual behaviors compared to normal atoms in a periodic lattice. The first is the ability to accumulate very large energies (hundreds of eV); the second is the ability to retain that energy without dissipating it to neighboring atoms, and these two phenomena are related. In some ways there equivalent to the Q of a tuned circuit. A small excitation voltage can produce very high voltages in the tuned circuit.

Here is where a bit of quantum mechanics comes into play. Phonons, although not real particles, may be treated as such in terms of QED theory. Just as a simple system like the hydrogen atom can only absorb or emit energy at specific wavelengths, the same holds true for phonons. The anharmonic property of LAVs means that they exhibit different oscillatory frequencies than the host lattice and cannot transfer energy to the host lattice at its phonon wavelengths. As a result, an ensemble of hydrogen atoms embedded in a metal matrix will possess a characteristic oscillation frequency substantially different from the metal lattice. This is what is meant by the phonon wavelength gap. Such a system of hydrogen atoms can accumulate energy from thermal excitation but cannot readily dissipate it to the metal lattice, so the amplitude of oscillation can become orders of magnitude greater than the ambient thermal energy.

• For initiating discrete breathers, I wonder if short pulses of high density current through a lattice would create similar effects as Dr. Dubinko's suggestion for electron beams.
    There's a lot that this theory doesn't explain but it seems like a path that should be explored. It would be great to see theoretical work done on the possible nuclear reactions that discrete breathers could catalyze.

From the paper:
    "One of the perspective ways of triggering LENR is to use electron beams with variable beam energy [41]. The point is that electrons hitting the target atoms displace them from equilibrium positions by the distance depending on the electron energy and the atomic mass. The displaced atoms start vibrating with frequencies inversely proportional to the initial dis-placements. If the frequency (i.e. initial displacement) matches the LAV frequency, a LAV is generated. Therefore, electron irradiation with variable energy provides a method of displacing atoms from their equilibrium positions at any desired dis-tance, which in its turn allows one to fit the beam energy to generate LAVs and hence to trigger LENR."

• A favorite quote of mine is from Chris, a quantum theorist, put forth during an "LENR [lexicon]Conversation[/lexicon] between a Researcher, Chemist, Astronomer, Quantum Theorist, Student, and a Layman"

I'm the layman, always fascinated by a mystery.

http://gbgoble.kinja.com/lenr-…chemist-astron-1681637829

Quote:"There are about 35 models contributing to comprehending nuclear behaviour. That they are all variously successful indicates that threshing for commonalities is paramount. It also allows that we just don't know it all." - end quote

'To hear us talk' by Robert Frost

ON A FALLEN TREE ACROSS THE ROAD

The tree a tempest with a crash of wood
    Throws down in front of us is not to bar
    Our passage to our journey's end for good,
    But just to ask us who we think we are,
    Insisting always on our own way so.
    She likes to halt us in our runner tracks,
    And make us get down in a foot of snow
    Debating what to do with an ax.

And yet who knows obstruction is in vain:
    We will not be put off the final goal
    We have hidden in us to attain,
    Not though we have to seize earth by the pole
    And, tired of aimless circling in one place,
    Steer straight off after something into space…

I also look at the anharmonic vibrations within the patent by Francesco Piantelli et.al. contains such... "Method for producing energy and apparatus therefor" https://www.google.com/patents/US20110249783A1

[0045] The H− ions can be obtained by treating, under particular operative conditions, hydrogen H2 molecules that have been previously adsorbed on said transition metal surface, where the semi-free valence electrons form a plasma. In particular, a heating is needed to cause lattice vibrations, i.e. phonons, whose energy is higher than a first activation energy threshold, through non-linear and anharmonic phenomena. In such conditions, the following events can occur:

[0046] a dissociation of the hydrogen molecules that is adsorbed on the surface;

[0047] an interaction with valence electrons of the metal, and formation of H− ions;

[0048] an adsorption of the H− ions into the clusters, in particular the clusters that form the two or three crystal layers that are most close to the surface. The H− ions can just physically interact with the metal, or can chemically bond with it, in which case hydrides can be formed.

Anharmonic Oscillator

Anharmonic oscillation is defined as the deviation of a system from harmonic oscillation, or an oscillator not oscillating in simple harmonic motion.

Introduction

A harmonic oscillator obeys Hooke's Law and is an idealized expression that assumes that a system displaced from equilibrium responds with a restoring force whose magnitude is proportional to the displacement. In nature, idealized situations break down and fails to describe linear equations of motion. Anharmonic oscillation is described as the restoring force is no longer proportional to the displacement. Two forms of nonlinearity are used to describe real-world situations:

elastic anharmonicity
    damping anharmonicity

Anharmonic oscillators can be approximated to a harmonic oscillator and the anharmonicity can be calculated using perturbation theory.

Thanks from http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Ph…tor/Anharmonic_Oscillator

I also look to Harold Aspden, the forerunner of thermo-electric science, by creating harmonics and anharmonic vibration in a thermal gradient, within metal. This sort of 'shakes loose electrons' creating current.

LENR and the Aether – Harold Aspden ‘Heavy Electron’ -‘Mu-meson’ Vacuum Field – Electron Proton ‘Creation’

Dr. Harold Aspden is of particular interest. A brilliant man, he successfully predicted the mass of the proton and was a pioneer of efficient thermal electric conversion devices. He was the first to be issued a U.S. patent with ‘cold fusion’ contained in the text of the application. A further example of his brilliance is his theoretical papers on Aether Science. This list is of ten Harold Aspden patents granted, applied, or cited that concern “Cold Fusion” LENR and the Aether (ZPE). Here is an excellent biography of the honorable Dr. Harold Aspden including all theories, works published, and documented efforts in the Aether and LENR sciences.

AETHER THE THEORY OF RELATIVITY AND LENR ENERGY
    http://coldfusionnow.org/aethe…lativity-and-lenr-energy/

HAROLD ASPDEN PATENT TRIBUTE
    Thermo-Electric Power Conversion and Beyond
    http://coldfusionnow.org/harold-aspden-patent-tribute/

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.