Rossi Explains ‘Positive or Negative’

• What do you think Rossi was doing when he lied about associations with U of Bologna and Uppsula and with NI and Philips?

I was talking about Munson, not Rossi. In order for the statement to have been intentionally misleading, Munson had to intend to mislead (or he didn't do his fact checking and passed on a misleading statement).

Also, the word 'Philips' does not appear once in the Rossi Blog Reader archive. This is another example of your confabulation. Where do you get these ideas from?

It was a long time ago. Perhaps it was Siemens. Also, much of what Rossi says which is weird or obviously a lie, comes from interviews and is not necessarily in his blog.

January 3rd, 2012 at 4:43 AMDear Pietro F.:

No, the Customer, National Instruments and us are still working on the re-engineering of all the control systems. The partnership with National Instruments is revolutionizing and tremendously improving our plants, and this work is also useful for the domestic E-Cats, which will have the same control system. We are really learning.Warm Regards,A.R.

Also

Andrea RossiJanuary 20th, 2012 at 4:51 PMDear Stefan:

As I answered to Giuseppe B., I never said that the 1 MW E-Cat has been already delivered to the Customer, probably it has been a misunderstanding due to not precise translation.

As I repeatedly said, the 1 MW E-Cat is still in our Bologna Factory to complete the control system upgrading we are making with National Instruments and to make modifications asked from the Customer. The plant will be delivered in the next 1, maximum 2 months.Warm Regards,A.R.

Here's what Ms. Betts wrote about that after receiving all sorts of (I am sure annoying) inquiries from fansheeple:

Do you real need me to dig up all the conflicting, wrong and misleading posts by Rossi about supposed association with universities which never took place?

By the way, who was the 2012 customer and what happened to the so-called plant that Rossi delivered then? I mean, you don't install a commercial fusion power plant and have it go unnoticed in the US. In case you didn't know, there are nuclear regulatory commissions in every state and they would be very interested in Rossi's safety certifications and inspections. And that would be a matter of public record. So where is it?

I was talking about Munson, not Rossi. In order for the statement to have been intentionally misleading, Munson had to intend to mislead (or he didn't do his fact checking and passed on a misleading statement).

I suspect the latter. Munson probably simply cited "Rossifiction" from Rossi. We might know more if I get the FOIA request information on the specified report. I've asked. We'll see. I did not get an email acknowledgement and there are several ways to ask so I may try a second method. I used email and I will probably try a web form next.

• As for CERL, it still has a web presence here: http://www.erdc.usace.army.mil…-research-laboratory.aspx and its parent branch has a library and search facility here: http://www.erdc.usace.army.mil/Library.aspx in which you can search for papers. I tried and did not find anything about Rossi's TEG or CERL's work with LTI and Parsons. Perhaps I missed it somehow? I think any mention of the project was purged from this library but of course, I could be wrong. Why don't you try?

ETA:Rummaging around the site, there is a link, albeit tenuous, which actually finds the previously redacted document. So I guess you can still get it from CERL though it's not a bit obvious how.

• Mary, you state something only based on your ignorance.

There is a report on the TEG, and nobody moaned.
    That is all. your claim is just a theory, with contradicting evidence, and nothing else question to support it.
    It contradict the fact that Rossi…

Must keep wondering what drives the lunies like Alain. He is my favorite though, and only he knows why.

• I must say I don't have a fixed opinion as to the TEG issue, I just have not researched it.

If, however, Rossi had a 15% performance TEG design, prevented from working on large scale due to the issues cited above (bad joints, thermal issues, etc) it would appear to be highly valuable and possible with effort of productionising. So why was this not done? But I don't know how much better than state of the art were Rossi's claims. Perhaps those more familiar with the matter could comment.

I think, just to play devil's advocate, I'll follow Alain and others in my reasoning. They like to assume that Rossi must have extraordinary test results from his e-cats because (they argue) if not he would be fraudulent in a way that is not credible.

This is arguing from what (to me) is flaky "people" evidence to what (to me) is much more definite test data.

So I'll do the opposite here. Since Rossi's e-cat tests have never shown positive results, over a long period, it lends credence to the idea that for whatever reason he could similarly claim positive results for his TEG when it fact this was never justified by test evidence.

This is not at all certain - but it is a better bet than the flakey arguments made the other way around and presented as sure proof!

• Official Post

Looking for modern TEG performance I found this article
    http://www.gizmag.com/most-eff…oelectric-material/24210/
    http://www.nature.com/nature/j…416/full/nature11439.html

the performance is similar, 15-20% at similar temperature (400-600C) with same material base with Tellurium made semiconductor (Rossi used Bismuth, and various doping and surface treatment).
    The material is nano-structured too.

With about two-thirds of all used energy being lost as waste heat, there is a compelling need for high-performance thermoelectric materials that can directly and reversibly convert heat to electrical energy. However, the practical realization of thermoelectric materials is limited by their hitherto low figure of merit, ZT, which governs the Carnot efficiency according to the second law of thermodynamics. The recent successful strategy of nanostructuring to reduce thermal conductivity has achieved record-high ZT values in the range 1.5–1.8 at 750–900 kelvin1, 2, 3, but still falls short of the generally desired threshold value of 2. Nanostructures in bulk thermoelectrics allow effective phonon scattering of a significant portion of the phonon spectrum, but phonons with long mean free paths remain largely unaffected. Here we show that heat-carrying phonons with long mean free paths can be scattered by controlling and fine-tuning the mesoscale architecture of nanostructured thermoelectric materials. Thus, by considering sources of scattering on all relevant length scales in a hierarchical fashion—from atomic-scale lattice disorder and nanoscale endotaxial precipitates to mesoscale grain boundaries—we achieve the maximum reduction in lattice thermal conductivity and a large enhancement in the thermoelectric performance of PbTe. By taking such a panoscopic approach to the scattering of heat-carrying phonons across integrated length scales, we go beyond nanostructuring and demonstrate a ZT value of ~2.2 at 915 kelvin in p-type PbTe endotaxially nanostructured with SrTe at a concentration of 4 mole per cent and mesostructured with powder processing and spark plasma sintering. This increase in ZT beyond the threshold of 2 highlights the role of, and need for, multiscale hierarchical architecture in controlling phonon scattering in bulk thermoelectrics, and offers a realistic prospect of the recovery of a significant portion of waste heat

The 15% is maybe not easy to compare because the temperature for rossi may be higher, making better efficiency, for a lower figure of merit.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.