LENR reactors need magnetic confinement

• @Andrea, I quote you:
    "After 1 year at 1 MW the number of transmutations produced by the neutral particles could have compromised the structural integrity of some of the components, and I suspect this is at least part of the cause of the problems he is having lately."

Yes, you are absolutely right, some of the steel components have more or less transmuted to rust:
    http://www.energikatalysatorn.se/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=173&p=34078&hilit=ROST#p34078

Sic transit gloria mundi. :nuke:

• More support for the confinement hypothesis?

http://www.e-catworld.com/wp-c…H-Ni_Stepanov_English.pdf

The outer casing of the calorimeter is made of stainless steel.

The magnetic confinement is most probably provided by the heater coil. In the Rossi's Hot Cat and the Parkhomov reactor, the power to the coil is provided as a square wave where the confinement is only produced when the square wave is active. The confinement produced by the coil is released when the square wave is deactivated. All current replicators do not use square wave power feed. This is why their LENR reaction does not take hold. The power supply used in the Lugano test produces square waves only. The Lugano test team opted to use a constant square wave power feed in their experiment.

A better approach to magnetic confinement is to use a magnetic bottle dedicated to that fustion and independent of the power feed

• Ok Axil ,
    by which way square waves are better for magnetic confinement ?

In the Rossi reactor, the square wave is how the power is fed into the coil using a low frequency base carrier wave and the high frequency stimulative EMF is multiplexed onto that base carrier wave. This high frequency stimulative EMF is not used by the Replicators who don't use square waves to power their heater coil.

This square wave multiplexing method only supplies confinement when the square is active and therefore is not as good as a dedicated always on DC power feed into the heater coil; or that in turn is not as good as a dedicated magnetic confinement bottle.

• Thank you David for this paper I didn't know about. Shame the temperature didn't rise above 800°C. This temperature isn't high enough whatever the kind of electrical feed in (square, no square, pulse, no pulse, AC, chopped AC). Parkhomow has shown that a minimum temperature of 1000°C is required.

• @David Fojt
    yes, "in our case, plasma should be just some nucleus with" an incomplete electrons' shell.

There is no relationship between the Hyd (my particle) and iron. Iron is not even a good NAE. However the Hyd is huge if compared to a neutron (the radius is 260 times) and has a magnetic moment that is 960 times the neutron magnetic moment. This makes the magnetic interaction of this particle (the only interaction it has) much stronger than that of the neutron. So in condensed matter it will scatter magnetically, loose energy and some will end up trapped. Materials with high magnetic field gradients will be more effective in trapping this particle.

I think Rossi knows very well what happens if he loads with pure deuterium or a mixture. He does not want to produce tritium. Plus deuterium, I think, would produce more localized power, which can more easily spoil the system.

For sure there is no agreement on the theoretical explanation of the mechanism. But it will be necessary for a real adoption.

I don't know which are the main effects of my particle on living tissues. The soft gammas from the electron shell jumps during the formation of the Hyd will not be present outside the NAE. So my guess is that the principal danger from Hyds comes from (almost emission-less) transmutations; and DNA does not like it ...

@H-G Branzell
    I don't think rust has been caused by the Hyd. In a vapour system corrosion is quite common. I think instead that the containment vessels could start having cracks and may be small blisters. Ni62 is transparent to Hyd, so, as its content increases, the mean free path of Hyds will increase and reach out. A metallic shroud could be enough to save the day. I don't know.

• Andrea Calaon
    In case you did not notice, my rusty remark was was intended to be ironic, please forgive me.

I think that interest in physics is highly commendable because trying to figure out the workings of the world is an essential part of what makes us human. But if you try to improve on the magnificent building of physics you cannot start in mid air, you have to connect to the solid base already built by countless scientists before you.

In order to be able to connect to this basic knowledge you obviously need to acquire it and this is a long and laborious but also very fascinating journey. The great physicist Leonard Susskind has volunteered to be your guide on this journey and it could start right here: http://theoreticalminimum.com/

Don't be intimidated, Leonard began his career as a plumber at the age of 16!

• @H-G Branzell,
    I am known for missing jokes (sometimes); some of my colleagues would not be surprised :) .
    Your words and your BEAUTIFUL suggestion to learn from the free lessons of Leonard Susskind (what a great scientist and man!) tell me that you are a real physicist. You call him Leonard. It sounds like you know him personally.
    If you are a physicist who does not believe that Cold Fusion is a reality, may I ask you what brought you to this desolate outpost?
    The greatness of any civilization is in its computing capability. Now this civilization has internet, the brain of the planet, so its computing capabilities have recently experienced a quantum leap forward. I agree that before being able to contribute to this greatness it is necessary to load your brain with what prof. Leonard Susskind calls the Theoretical Minimum. The rest will be a matter of curiosity, strive for beauty and perseverance.
    The journey to a full training as a physicist is long and I don’t think I will have the chance to follow it completely. I am not intimidated ;) . When I was younger, during University, I was trained in Atomic Physics, Quantum Mechanics, Solid State Physics, Physical Chemistry, Quantum Electrodynamics ... and I added a couple of other subjects on my own. I am now very curious about Geometric Algebra, Cosmology and the interpretations of QM, … apart from Cold Fusion …
    So I can tell you that I am aware my “theory” has nothing rigorous, … it describes electron trajectories in orbitals which make sense only for Hidden Variable Theories, uses a geometrical interpretation of the Zitterbewegung (in special relativity) which is sort of forbidden, there is no Hamiltonian, there are no precise scattering calculations, …
    And above all it is based on the assumption that the nuclear force is NOT a residuum of the strong interaction, but is instead an electromagnetic effect (this is actually not my contribution).

Let me ask you what is the detail that suggests (more than the others) that I am now in mid air and not on the wall, safely hanging on the pitons of the previous consolidated knowledge gathered by this civilization.

By the way, some years ago I had actually listened to some of the beautiful lessons of Prof. Leonard Susskind at Stanford on Youtube.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.