Nanomagnetism and LENR

• Thomas, who did I say was most probably a crook that you don't agree with? Surely, you can't think Defkalion was an honest mistake? If so, you never read their forum, run by the crookedest of them, Hadjichristos. I should say he was either very crooked or incredibly stupid and as I said then, he could tell us which, but he won't. Try reading that forum a bit... search for example, for the guy's arrogant, duplicitous and obviously contemptuous responses to my and other people's excellent and rather obvious critiques and questions.

• I make no assumptions about how the +50W excess was measured

Apart from assuming it must have been measured incorrectly somehow...

This whole setup looks like classic silliness

For sure, I don't think anyone can deny that. But at the same time, the guy who looked at it, is prepared to say it does work. Probably knowing he's going to get some grief from his peers.

To say "the temperature dropped at night" tells me you probably didn't watch that video, as there's a graph that showed what happened. It's just something you came up with to avoid giving a more considered answer. Do you really think a 5C difference could be a mistake? My fingertip says otherwise. And presumably you think no-one would double check that ever-so-slightly unusual result? That's borderline offensive! :)

I jokingly called you "skeptileptic" the other day, I had just heard it, and I thought the definition was amusing (convulsive skepticsm :rolleyes: sorry to anyone who finds that to be in poor taste). Now I'm thinking that maybe, many a true word is said in jest?

It is sort of embarrassing to have this anecdote classed with LENR experiments, however bad many of those are.

Classic quote. Although perhaps more suited to the Huw Price Reputation Trap thread?

• Colwyn,

Re assumptions. If your spouse came to you and said their were three-legged green men from Mars standing on the garden lawn you would probably want a bit more evidence before believing this.

Few people would say that you were "making assumptions maybe it was a joke etc" in this case.

Extraordinary things require better than good evidence. In this case the evidence is not even ordinary - these guys are testing their own stuff, the test method is weird and could go wrong in any number of ways - in short even with perfect honesty any decent experimenter (or sensible person) would view such results with suspicion and need to check.

It is only in magic LENR world that every weird thing that happens has to be proven wrong - other wise it stands as a miracle. If science worked to those standards we would have evidence for fairies, ghosts, UFOs and green three-legged Martians.

• Translation: You are all gullible idiots with zero professional knowledge.

@mary. I missed your last post to me about measurement errors, thermodynamics, Newton and Einstein:

I do understand "measurement errors": they are the first step of TC's standard argument. Generally qualitative, rather than quantifiable, but nevermind... Next step is to assume that only he is aware of these mechanisms, and only he can be trusted to avoid them.

In the case of measuring the voltage of a battery, I'd say measurement errors are next to impossible. A child could probably manage. We are basically back to allegations of fraud.

And no need for the lecture on the so-called laws of the thermodynamics. They are as much laws, as Newton's "laws" are... And similarly they are known to break down depending on scale; the smaller the scale, the less suitable model they become.

• Mary Yugo's comments are not without merit. He may be right; I may be crazy. But it just may be a lunatic your looking for.

We measured Battery voltage continuously for a week while the power supply developed an excess 30 watts with a 100 watt loss in the system components. Arthur had the unit running for nearly 2 years when I showed up.

I was the first one to make rigorous measurements that seemed to confirm an energy gain. There are many ways to dispute that measurement, but the HOBO thermistor measurements were revolutionary. Four thermistors were mounted around the trunk with one of them mounted on top of the ferrite billet.

To our great surprise that thermistor ran 5-7 degrees COLDER than ambient for the entire week.I do not understand any of the thermodynamic mechanisms, but heat must have been flowing in an unaccustomed manner.

I expected that I would have many years to learn the approach needed to optimize this heat flow. Arthur contacted me on September 23, 2015 and told me he was turning it over to me and my band oftechnologists. He had a major Aneuryzm on September 25, 2015 and never recovered.

I have his equipment and I am seeking help from LENR folks to figure it out.

I recommend reading Norman Ramsey's 1956 physical Review article on Negative ABSOLUTE TEMPERATURES
    I met Norman and discussed this work in 1995

• Thanks Brian.

I suppose anyone might build something of a small attempted model of this apparatus. Hopefully some of the brilliant engineering "replicators" who have focused their energies on the more mundane task of a Parkhomov replication might step up to look at this in various ways. The measurement errors in the presence of electromagnetic interference are a common issue in neuroscience labs for example. Once it was customary to include faraday screening (literal aluminum screen isolation "chamber" to avoid at least much of that which Thomas warns.)

Do you, Brian, happen to know exactly, or approximately what type of ferrite composition is in the "brick"? What is its appearance, approximate density etc. Does the ferrite look like any commercially, or milspec surplus available-- say from microwave and/or high power radar work? Dimensions and weight of the ferrite? Any "branding" evident? Any preferred residual magnetism, or magnetic bias evident with a compass for example? Any anisotropy with respect to resistance or impedance through the bulk? And if so, how might such anisotropies correlate with the winding orientations?

Thanks,
    Longview

• Brian,

Thank you for the interesting description and video. To me it seems implausible that nanomagnetism, by itself, could be responsible for LENR, as the energy balance does not work out. Nonetheless I think it's great that you've stood by the inexplicable results of your own nickel powder experiments and your testing of the Manelas device despite the lack of an explanation. Here we see empiricism at work. The skeptics on this forum would require that you have gotten a negative result in your testing to be credible. They have put theory before experiment.

The argument that Manelas was bamboozling you requires some substantiation, to say the least.

Did you make some critical mistakes in your testing? That is not something I can be the judge of, but I have some questions, and would be interested in seeing further testing done:

• Does the Manelas device still work? Are you still seeing the odd behavior you saw before?
    • Can you boil the device down into an extremely simple thing that reliably shows the effect without any extraneous components?

Perhaps induced beta decay was involved. You mentioned strontium ferrite. 90Sr is a beta emitter. Lots of energy in such reactions, well above chemical. Electrons are emitted at high velocities; if this happens anisotropically, there could be some magnetic effects.

Eric

Brian Ahern wrote:

This device that you had (still have?) sitting on your dining room table, when you studied it working in situ, did you make absolutely certain that it was only connected to an otherwise isolated system?

Judging from its appearance the system seems to contain nothing but ordinary electric components. The only thing that looks “homemade” is the well wrapped ferrite core. It is not reasonable to expect that this system could produce “free electricity” as you certainly seem to be aware of.

Or that any other system could for that matter. Did you prepare any kind of report covering your investigation of this mysterious apparatus?

When an honest and skilled person, operates slightly out of their own area (say) using high-power RF electrical pulses with sensitive instrumentation, do you say they are dishonest just because they firmly believe something which is not true?

Yikes, Thomas. I didn't say that. Nor did I say to Brian Ahern that he is crazy. What I said was that he was probably gullible if he believes that someone (Manelas) operating under every classical criterion and characteristic, text book quality, for free energy fraud could be real and honest.

As for Rossi, time and circumstances tell all. He *is* a crook just as Defkalion were crooks. The jury is still out on what Brillouin is and has. Perhaps they're great but my suspicion from listening to what they say and how they say it (especially Godes) -- my suspicion is that they are either crooks or mistaken. With them, there is not enough evidence to tell what they are yet.

• In my experience, the belief or hope, that basic physical laws can be broken in "some special cases", yields from misunderstanding how very fundamental they actually are.

Sorry to say, but as attractive as it may seem, looking for shortcuts or loopholes in reality is a huge waste of time.

We need to do it the hard way, there is no holy grail of energy.

• [quote] there is not enough evidence to tell what they are yet.

There are untold numbers of LENR developers working on systems that will be released to the market before too long and you don't even know who they are or what their scam is. I thinks you should also go dark and flush them out of their holes so you can pounce.

There are untold numbers of LENR developers working on systems that will be released to the market before too long

How long do we have to wait before you admit you are wrong? I recall similar statements 5, 10 years ago!

We measured Battery voltage continuously for a week while the power supply developed an excess 30 watts with a 100 watt loss in the system components.

I wonder how this was determined?

Arthur had the unit running for nearly 2 years when I showed up. I was the first one to make rigorous measurements that seemed to confirm an energy gain. There are many ways to dispute that measurement, but the HOBO thermistor measurements were revolutionary. Four thermistors were mounted around the trunk with one of them mounted on top of the ferrite billet.To our great surprise that thermistor ran 5-7 degrees COLDER than ambient for the entire week.I do not understand any of the thermodynamic mechanisms, but heat must have been flowing in an unaccustomed manner.

So - my explanation for the identical observation would be that EMI (larger near the ferrite) made ac pulses on the thermistor sense amplifier input which were partially rectified due to dynamic non-linearity (slew rate limiting). This is very common, and can lead to systematic errors. EMI can get into earth wires as well as signal ones, creating earth loops, and getting rid of it requires very great care. If you build all active circuits in a shielded box with good enough LF filterss on inputs and care over supply and earth noise you can make electronic circuits bulletproof - but it is easy to miss something. I wonder what was done here?

My own experience, from many years of working with different systems, is that you can do the theory, work out what is supposed to happen - and then be surprised by what does happen. Whenever this happnes I take it as a personal challenge and usually have enough time to understand it. It can require persistence over several days or weeks, because the measurements just seem crazy until you work out the real mechanism - usually something that was dismissed as impossible or negligible in an initial analysis.

That is why I feel that colwyn and some others here are lacking in a necessary humility in the face of the real world.

You can never, in new setups, (or even old setups !) be sure that you don't have some systematic error which will hit you when least expected. Long practice at finding these helps, but mostly because you learn not to make assumptions, as colwyn does, about error being impossible. It is satisfying because when you finally work it out, the same theory (with a few tweaks and second order terms) can exactly explain the apparently impossible data.

• There is nothing wrong in believing and hoping for a better future.. even for miracles. But hope and belief do not change our common reality, though it may change little private realities.

That's OK, I do not have a problem with that. But I have a problem with people spreading made up realities as scientific research. I do believe there are a lot of honest cold fusion researchers unlike Rossi, though I think they are mislead by not recognizing their inability to observe objectively. That is human, nobody can observe objectively.

Maybe there is something in LENR, I don't know. But it is not nuclear in nature, I am pretty convinced of that.

If honest LENR researchers want to make progress, they have to make themselves apart from crackpots, lunies and con-artists. In that effort, participating in discussions on forums like this and Frank's E-Nut World won't help at all.

Brian, you said:

If you are serious about figuring out the mystery gadget that is sitting on your dining room table you must provide some more information. If you did not already do it you need to compile the information that you have collected so you can share it with persons that may help you. And please, do not worry about patents. Consider it a gift to humanity, this will warm you heart more than a billion dollars. Well, IF it works of course.

In order to try to transform this big IF into a YES or a NO I suggest that you appeal to a larger congregation than the LENR believers. :)

Maybe there is something in LENR, I don't know. But it is not nuclear in nature, I am pretty convinced of that.

The evidence it is not nuclear is indirect - absence of the expected high energy products are transmutation to radioactive nuclei (which would emit high energy products after the experiment). These are problematic for the LENR community - but it has its excuses. WL theory attempts a coherent partial - and not very convincing - excuse.

More however, there is very weak evidence that anything is nuclear.

You don't jump on nuclear reactions just because you have a few anomalies. The "LENR collection"; excess heat, high energy particles, transmutation, exists because LENR experimenters have looked long and hard for these three things as expected consequences of their a priori expected LENR.

Of these three things, only excess heat has any major track record, and that must be weighted by the fact that 50% of all experiments must show an excess, the type of experiments done encourages artifacts, and tighter experiments replicating see much lower excess energy than original claims.

• Message for Brian Ahern,

You said that you have Manelas's equipment in your possession. Does that include the disassembled working model you tested? How can I help you develop a plan to follow through?
    What other form would the help you seek take? Can we discuss this via email privately? Perhaps, if you do, the site manager here could arrange an exchange of email addresses .
    If it helps, I am a skeptical observer of the LENR world, but feel strongly that enough evidence has surfaced to warrant significant further empirical research, and an effort to develop a
    theoretical basis for any anomalous observations.

• ... with greetings from TK, may his Dog be with him!

• Brian,

Perhaps you should try to track down one of the other devices mentioned in the article provided by Mary? They were probably wired up in the same way as your device..

It is fun to read about these stories, and it is amazing how rich they are on peculiar details. For instance in the video, there was a measurement curve with dips that were said to correlate with the aurora borealis. Who would have expected that?

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.