beta hydride should be promoted

• @padam73,

The relation between Ni-atoms and adsorbed H-atoms is under normal conditions about 0,05%. Therefore it is not easy to get beta phase nickel hydride. Moreover, is it necessary?

The research of mrs. Mossier-Boss (page 442 of volume 13 JCMNS) elucidates the problem: cold fusion isn't a clean process. There is fission of the atoms of the metal lattice too because of the extensive radiation by the fusion of H-ions. Although palladium nuclei have a lot of electron shields, palladium atoms that are enclosed by a number of fusing H-ions “cannot stand the heat”. As a result, cold fusion is not a continuous process. After some time the fusion will stop because of local pollution of the metal lattice by the fission of the palladium atoms.

In other words, to get a clean fusion process it is probably not a good idea to load the metal lattice with as many H-atoms as possible. Unfortunately, it is difficult to distribute the H-atoms nicely all over the lattice. And even when we can fix it, the local radiation of the fusion process will destroy the distribution. That's because the uniform thermal radiation (and pressure) is responsible for the smooth adsorption of the H-atoms.

It is said that cold fusion will occur at the surface area of the metal lattice. In the way Fleissmann and Pons did their experiments, it is clear why the fusion occurred at the surface area of the palladium cathode. Just because of the local density of adsorbed palladium (beta phase) and the density of the wave pattern of the free electrons (electric direct current between anode and cathode). Anyway, the fusion always stopped “automatically” after some time.

So when we examine the try-outs of individuals and professional researchers to get a stable fusion reactor it is clear that all those attempts are obstructed by a lack of stability. Not because they have no idea about the right hypothesis of the cold fusion process (theoretical physics). Cold fusion just shows to be comparable with hot fusion: it is a very difficult job to get a constant fusion during a long, long time.

• Mats, the Hydrogen state discussed in that article probably isn't relevant to LENR. Their experiment used a pressure of 3 MILLION atmospheres at room temperature. Can a discrete breather (or anything else) in the lattice generate such extreme conditions? Seems unlikely.

• Hi Alan. Well I think that at small enough scale, temperature and pressure are hard if not impossible to measure. T and P are averages of the behaviour of many particles and/or waves around the probe.

Is it known how a group of H atoms 'experience' their surrondings inside a metal lattice? Can it be equivalent to millions atmospheres? I do not know if this is possible or not. Do you?

• @padam73,

What do you mean by "extensive radiation" by the fusion of H-ions? what kind of radiation are you talking about?

Cold fusion is not equal to hot fusion. Hot fusion has dominant vectors (impulse moment). Cold fusion hasn't. There is no fusion of H-ions, caused by strong vectors like e.g. “heavily bumping” palladium atoms. Thus the radiation (wave pattern) of the cold fusion is not equal to the radiation of hot fusion, the spatial concentration of quanta is much lower. So it is more extensive.

• Mats wrote:

Is it known how a group of H atoms 'experience' their surrondings inside a metal lattice? Can it be equivalent to millions atmospheres? I do not know if this is possible or not. Do you?

Look at the claims of "Nernst pressure" in electrolytic contexts at least. Nernst pressure has been discussed widely in CF / LENR, especially in the 1990s, if I recall correctly. Absolutely no problem achieving millions of atmospheres, if we are to believe those discussions.

Since Nernst pressure is a 4th power function of current in amperes (due to "overpotential") a pressure of 3 million atmospheres would be reached where the current density is on the order of one ampere / square cm. While this is hard to see in ordinary electrolysis, it is easily conceivable in some small areal domain on an electrode surface, a "hot spot" if you will.... or an "NAE" if one prefers.

Longview

• On review, I see that Enyo's experiments showed that no matter how much he increased the overpotential, the current density remained at no higher than 150 mA, which is the equivalent of 100,000 atm or so.... not near the millions for the beta transformation mentioned.

Still the possibility of small defect hotspots on an otherwise oxide-insulated electrode surface, should show immense current densities (tiny area of discharge) and very high local field strengths (steep local voltage gradients around those defects). That might still be outside the parameters of Enyo's experiments in a couple of other ways.... not just immense field strength and immense current density, but clearly local gas phase conditions in the hotspot, since it is way past boiling, while remaining ionically rich and likely a tiny arc. If one pressurized the cell to some extent, the gasification within such a domain might be suppressed.... and I think that has been tried as well.... but not in any work I've yet seen.

• Guys, I can't but admire you. I have studied physics, but I don't understand squat of what you are saying. Of course I am just a Beginner here, still wet behind my ears. Maybe it will be better when I advance to Intermediate. How many points does that take?

• First, Grattis HG! i see you just became a LENR student! That makes us classmates :thumbup:

Then to padam73: only three key parameters? If that was the case this puzzle would be solved long ago. I have heard old timers LENRists suggest up
    to 21 params...

• Longview, you said:

Since Nernst pressure is a 4th power function of current in amperes (due to "overpotential") a pressure of 3 million atmospheres would be reached where the current density is on the order of one ampere / square cm.

Now, just having left Beginner stage and arrived at Student level I am eager to begin my climb to the next level which I assume is Intermediate.

One small step on this road could be to learn more about the Nernst pressure. I have scoured the web for info but I seemed to walk in circles because I mostly ended up where I started, at this site. Perhaps you can help me out with some references?

• Mats, the Hydrogen state discussed in that article probably isn't relevant to LENR. Their experiment used a pressure of 3 MILLION atmospheres at room temperature. Can a discrete breather (or anything else) in the lattice generate such extreme conditions? Seems unlikely.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/re…/2014/12/141216123829.htm

Carnegie's Ivan Naumov and Russell Hemley discover hydrogen forms grapheme layers/clusters instead of metal under pressure.

This is an experimental validation of the Rydberg matter structure of hydrogen.

Instead of high pressures, quantum mechanics can produce this ring structure using a principle called Rydberg Blockade.

Potassium and/or lithium provides a quantum mechanical template that directs hydrogen to form in rings just like potassium does...or lithium.

Holmlid uses quantum mechanics rather than pressure to form liquid hydrogen(AKA rydberg hydrogen matter).

See

Mesoscopic Rydberg-blockaded ensembles in the superatom regime and beyond

http://www.nature.com/nphys/jo…v11/n2/abs/nphys3214.html

==================

Tuesday, December 16, 2014—New work from Carnegie's Ivan Naumov and Russell Hemley delves into the chemistry underlying some surprising recent observations about hydrogen, and reveals remarkable parallels between hydrogen and graphene under extreme pressures. Their work is the cover story in the December issue of Accounts of Chemical Research.

Hydrogen is the most-abundant element in the cosmos. With only a single electron per atom, it is deceptively simple. As a result, hydrogen has been a testing ground for theories of the chemical bond since the birth of quantum mechanics a century ago. Understanding the nature of chemical bonding in extreme environments is crucial for expanding our understanding of matter over the broad range of conditions found in the universe.

Observing hydrogen’s behavior under very high pressures has been a great challenge for researchers. But recently teams have been able to observe that at pressures of 2-to-3.5 million times normal atmospheric pressure it transforms into an unexpected structure consisting of layered sheets, rather than a close-packed metal as had been predicted many years ago.

These hydrogen sheets resemble the carbon compound graphene. Graphene's layers are each constructed of a honeycomb structure made of six-atom carbon rings. This conventional carbon graphene, first synthesized about a decade ago, is very light, but incredibly strong, and conducts heat and electricity very efficiently. These properties promise revolutionary technology, including advanced optical electronics for screens, high-functioning photovoltaic cells, and enhanced batteries and other energy storage devices.

The new work from Naumov and Hemley shows that the stability of the unusual hydrogen structure arises from the intrinsic stability of its hydrogen rings. These rings form because of so-called aromaticity, which is well understood in carbon-containing molecules such as benzene, as well as in graphene. Aromatic structures take on a ring-like shape that can be thought of as alternating single and double bonded carbons. But what actually happens is that the electrons that make up these theoretically alternating bonds become delocalized and float in a shared circle around the inside of the ring, increasing stability.

Naumov and Hemley’s study also indicates that hydrogen initially becomes a dark poorly conducting metal like graphite instead of a conventional shiny metal and a good conductor, as was originally suggested in theoretical calculations going back to the 1930’s using early quantum mechanical models for solids.

Though the discovery of this layered sheet character of dense hydrogen has come as a surprise to many, chemists 30 years ago--before the discovery of graphene--predicted the structure based on simple chemical considerations. Their work is validated and extended by the new findings.

"Overall, our results indicate that chemical bonding occurs over a much broader range of conditions than people had previously considered. However, the structural effects of that chemical bonding under extreme conditions can be very different than that observed under the ordinary conditions that are familiar to us,” Hemley said.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.