Glowstick 5.2 Test series

• @Mats
    My GM counter is a basic instrument that detects beta particles (fast electrons) and gamma (high energy photons) in the range 0.1..3.0 MeV. It's pretty sensitive and has data output which is nice. The Sodium Iodide Spectrometer detects the same range of energies and particle types. It also measures the energy of each event using a photomultiplier tube and digital software. This feature helps characterize the possible source of emissions.

Neither of these instruments can detect massive slow particles like alphas or neutrons. The alphas are not likely to pass through the cell wall. The neutrons are the real issue and detecting them is tricky. Then there's muons - we've talked about how Holmlid (and Sveinn) detect them, and the possibility of building a replica.That would be a separate experiment and venue though.

• @magicsound

There are many different kinds of traps alongside those that catch rabbits or reputations. I recommend that MFMP avoids getting caught in Leif Holmlid’s ultradense deuterium trap. Just like the hydrinos this is not something that exists or can be coaxed into existence by black magic or any color magic.

At least wait for a couple of D(-1) replications before spending resources on it. Before this has happened I suspect that the average donor will find it a less worthy cause.

• @Mats
    My GM counter is a basic instrument that detects beta particles (fast electrons) and gamma (high energy photons) in the range 0.1..3.0 MeV. It's pretty sensitive and has data output which is nice. The Sodium Iodide Spectrometer detects the same range of energies and particle types. It also measures the energy of each event using a photomultiplier tube and digital software. This feature helps characterize the possible source of emissions.

Neither of these instruments can detect massive slow particles like alphas or neutrons. The alphas are not likely to pass through the cell wall. The neutrons are the real issue and detecting them is tricky. Then there's muons - we've talked about how Holmlid (and Sveinn) detect them, and the possibility of building a replica.That would be a separate experiment and venue though.

Building a muon detector is a great idea. Its not junk, its been certified. The Holmlid muon detector was peer reviewed by the Review of Scientific Instruments.

http://scitation.aip.org/conte…si/86/8/10.1063/1.4928109

I can mail you the full article is you are interested. I have all of Holmlid stuff.

• H-G Branzell
    There are many different kinds of traps alongside those that catch rabbits or reputations. I recommend that MFMP avoids getting caught in Leif Holmlid’s ultradense deuterium trap. Just like the hydrinos this is not something that exists or can be coaxed into existence by black magic or any color magic. At least wait for a couple of D(-1) replications before spending resources on it. Before this has happened I suspect that the average donor will find it a less worthy cause.

I can make one practical comment on this statement H-G Branzell.

Leif Holmlid´s work does not urgently need a replication the reason is that anyone that has visited him has been able to perform similar measurements using his setup. A replication from different lab would be fine but that lab would face the same problem of interpreting similiar experimental results. That lab could hardly come up with much different interpretation. Anyone that reads Leif papers can look for alternative interpretation of his data.

The muon and other results however urgently need confirmation with different experimental methods i.e. not a replication experiment.

Greetings

Sveinn

• What about a DIY cloud chamber? Wouldn't it be capable of visually detecting muons emitted from the reactor, especially if in great number compared to the cosmic ray background?

It seems like Piantelli is the only researcher who has used a cloud chamber in his research. For the life of me, I cannot understand why. A cloud chamber is not only a low cost, easy to build, highly probative, and informative scientific instrument but also a unparalleled visual aid in providing both the researcher and general audience with a full flavor of what LENR really means.

The particle detectors at CERN are solid state devices based on the same particle detection principles as those afforded in a cloud chamber.

When cupped with a magnetic field, a cloud chamber can show the polarity and energy level of charged particles like the muon and even particle decay chains. Being so simple, rudimentary, and fundamental, a YouTube video of an experimental run featuring a series of experimental LENR based visual depictions of the experiment would provide visual evidence for nuclear activity that even the most brain dead of naysayers would have trouble denying. Even those LENR critics who persist in denying this simple to understand visual evidence would look like fools and propagandists that they are. After all who does one believe, this blabbering naysaying fool or the evidence of your own eyes?

• @axil
    Yes please, build a cloud chamber and show us LENR, that would be nice of you!

@Svein
    Quoting fromhttp://nextbigfuture.com/2015/09/patent-details-for-nuclear-fusion-using.html

The hydrogen transfer catalyst may further be configured to cause a transition of the hydrogen into the ultradense state if the hydrogen atoms are prevented from re-forming covalent bonds. The mechanisms behind the catalytic transition from the gaseous state to the ultra-dense state are quite well understood, ...

Can you help spread light on “understood”?

Is this the answer to my question perhaps hidden here: http://link.springer.com/artic…s10894-010-9280-4#/page-1

An attempt is made to explain the recently reported occurrence of ultradense deuterium as an isothermal transition of Rydberg matter into a high density phase by quantum mechanical exchange forces. It is conjectured that the transition is made possible by the formation of vortices in a Cooper pair electron fluid, separating the electrons from the deuterons, with the deuterons undergoing Bose–Einstein condensation in the core of the vortices.

• What gammas will your meter NOT detect? I see that if it detects something at all that would be Something but is it sensitive enough to detect a non-chemical signal?

Both GM detectors and NaI scintillators are going to be limited in important ways for observing any activity that may be generated within a core. Neither beta electrons nor charged particles are likely to pass through the walls. The photon stopping power of different materials is largely dependent upon material density. If the photons must traverse anything nontrivial, they are likely to be stopped altogether below a threshold energy. As a practical matter, I'm guessing that in the case of gas loading NiH experiments that use stainless steel containers, one is unlikely to pick up anything other than hard x-rays and MeV gammas, and these may not be produced in any quantity.

(Neutrons have never been seen in quantities commensurate with excess heat that I know of, so they can probably be set aside as something to worry about until a lot more is known.)

My GM counter is a basic instrument that detects beta particles (fast electrons) and gamma (high energy photons) in the range 0.1..3.0 MeV.

Translating the lower bound energy for photons into keV -- that's a range of 100 keV to 3000 keV, i.e., hard x-rays and MeV gamma photons. Fast electrons are unlikely to escape from any container used in the NiH gas loading experiments. It would be nice to have detectors with lower energy ranges and to run them against the contents of the core before and after an experiment, along the lines of Axil's cloud chamber idea.

• @Svein
    Quoting fromhttp://nextbigfuture.com/2015/09/patent-details-for-nuclear-fusion-using.html
    The hydrogen transfer catalyst may further be configured to cause a transition of the hydrogen into the ultradense state if the hydrogen atoms are prevented from re-forming covalent bonds. The mechanisms behind the catalytic transition from the gaseous state to the ultra-dense state are quite well understood, ...

Can you help spread light on “understood”?

This is a patent text if you do A then B then C with something then you have "an understood mechanism " i.e. the process that you are trying to patent?

Is this the answer to my question perhaps hidden here: link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10894-010-9280-4#/page-1
    An attempt is made to explain the recently reported occurrence of ultradense deuterium as an isothermal transition of Rydberg matter into a high density phase by quantum mechanical exchange forces. It is conjectured that the transition is made possible by the formation of vortices in a Cooper pair electron fluid, separating the electrons from the deuterons, with the deuterons undergoing Bose–Einstein condensation in the core of the vortices.

I have tried to read this paper a few times, I always loose the thread/logic jumps on the way.....so do you maybe ?

• Svein, maybe there is no thread to lose.
    Well, I do not have access to this document and I do not want to shell out $39.95 for it.
    Perhaps you have a solution to this problem?

• @ Eric Walker

I'm aware that no betas would be expected outside the cell. I was just answering a question from Mats regarding what my instruments could detect.

Regarding Axil's comment, I'm not sure a cloud chamber could be kept working in close proximity to a Glowstick at 800 C. It would have to be well-shielded from IR and probably refrigerated by a cold plate. I'm open to offers if anyone has one to loan, or plans for building one at reasonable cost.

• Regarding Axil's comment, I'm not sure a cloud chamber could be kept working in close proximity to a Glowstick at 800 C.

If memory serves me, the way Piantelli has used a cloud chamber in the past is to take the nickel that was heated up in the reactor out of it and then place it into the cloud chamber at the conclusion of an experiment. Perhaps a GM counter or NaI scintillator with a lower range (down to the 1 keV?) could accomplish something similar. Axil may have some ideas with respect to low-cost cloud chambers. I've seen a few YouTube videos that feature them, although I doubt you could get more than qualitative evidence from them.

It would definitely be interesting to know if there's ever any short periods of increased activity in the fuel that is used following experiments, even null ones in which there was no clear excess heat. From what I have read, such activity typically only lasts for a few hours or days. You'd also want to check before the experiment as well, of course, in order to control for any pre-existing activity.

• A metal foil with high infrared reflectivity(nickel, titanium, or zirconium but aluminum foil and low density foam insulation might be tried first ) might do a good job of protecting the cloud chamber from the heat produced by the reactor. The cloud chamber could also be cooled with a fan. Muons are highly penetrating and can pass through miles of earth. They also can pass through the entire atmosphere to get to the earth's surface.

Yes, there are "how to" videos on Youtube that show how a cloud chamber is built. Since there is a close relationship between Piantelli and MFMP, maybe Piantelli might help out with advice on the cloud chamber issue.

• Svein, maybe there is no thread to lose.
    Well, I do not have access to this document and I do not want to shell out $39.95 for it.
    Perhaps you have a solution to this problem?

H-G Branzell
    Send me an email and I will...

Greetings
    Sveinn

• Official Post

MFMP just posted on Facebook:

The GS5.2 Cartridge is loaded:

80wt% Ni, 8.15wt% Li, 11.85wt% LAH

The next steps are to insert the cartridge into the cell, check the seal, pump out observing the pressure and then heat it up enough to obtain 0.5 bar of Hydrogen Gas (some venting may be needed to keep this in the given range). This should take about 2 hours and nothing more will be done this evening (Pacific Standard Time). The experiment will commence the following morning.

• Official Post

@David Fojt: It thought that the deuterium could be the missing element in the negative experiments.
    Maybe the russians have LiAlH4 with (a litte) more deuterium (in the 0,0...% range), and this deuterium is at some circumstances spending a neutron wich causes other (normal) hydrogen to transform into even more deuterium? Or this neutron is interacting with the metal atoms and these emit in a reaction chain some more neutrons which are immediately captured by H, forming more D?
    @me356 also suggested that deuterium could be the main reactant.

Maybe the replicators should add a little bit?

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.