• Jed Rothwell in 2011:

Rossi has given out *far* more proof than any previous cold fusion researcher.

Jed Rothwell Jan 29, 2016:

(I am assuming for the sake of argument the device [the ecat] is real. I have no proof of that.)

(the above quotes claimed by Popeye, perhaps Abd here would like to give context?).

The point of this thread is to examine different ways in which the word "proof" is used by players and commentators on LENR (including skeptics).

One assertion I hear is that skeptics are mostly fixed in their views so that they require an impossible standard of proof that will not be met even when LENR heaters are being sold to all and sundry.

As always care with precise definitions is needed, and whether from skeptics or believers a lack of care here leads to trouble. For example, Orbo is now selling O-Cubes to all and sundry. For that to be proof of their claimed miracle we need three more conditions:
    A. The O-Cubes bought actually are delivered.
    B. The delivered O-Cubes actually perform as claimed.
    C. The claims are unambiguous without loopholes.

In the case of O-Cubes we have not yet got past A!

Without this care we have pseudo-argument in which words are used for their emotional import and two people can argue when in fact they have identical views.

One assertion I hear is that skeptics are mostly fixed in their views so that they require an impossible standard of proof that will not be met even when LENR heaters are being sold to all and sundry.

Obviously you can only sell a non-working product to very few real customers before it is known around the globe that your product does not deliver as advertised. End of (this) business.

(Strangely, the above does not apply to bomb detectors!)
    -----
    Just occurred to me, the customers can’t complain, they are blown up! Clever business plan.
    Wasn’t that what Rossi planned to do to prevent people from peeking inside the E-Cat? :)

• C. The claims are unambiguous without loopholes.

This is my suspicion with the Orbo. I wonder whether there's a way to harvest RF (e.g., Wifi). Elsewhere I asked what the main Orbo claim was and was told that it's claimed to be a "Never charge battery." That seems like a pretty easy statement to wiggle out of. How long is the battery guaranteed? (One year.) Is the battery being charged by something internally? (Perhaps not; e.g., there could be some kind of RF harvesting.) Is the battery charged up at a rapid rate? (Perhaps not.) Is this a case of deceptive marketing? (Maybe; depends on what else was said about it.) Is the battery useful? (TBD.)

• Official Post

"You want the truth, you can't handle the truth!"

Oh yeah, just noticed you said "proof", not truth. :)

Anyways, looks like soon, real soon it appears, we will know if you can handle both the truth, and the proof. ;)

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.