A safe, cheap and reproducible LENR experiment - much more people can try themselves.

• Official Post

I have an idea for an experimental setup that will be safe, cheap and reproducible.

The test could be divided in two phases, and the first phase will be even cheaper.

It is based on the accumulator/battery cathode material LiNiO2 (There were exothermic reactions observed in such batteries that
    have not been understood now, Coincidence? I do not want to speculate here, I leave this to you) http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2…7924/full/ncomms7924.html

LiNiO2 is non-flammable, non-explosive and non-toxic (It can support allergies, however, so put on gloves anyhow)

Phase 1:

One needs an ampule of a chemically inert material with high melting point. Tantulum compounds are available for this purpose.

First the ampule can be open.

At the opening one can place two high melting point wires made of nickel high temperature alloy to apply voltage.

Possibly one could also place the ampule in the center of a Helmholtz coil to apply magnetic fields.

The most expensive equipment will be the temperature measurement devices.

Phase 2:

One needs a closed container of high temperature Ta alloy It can be very small, just a few cm³ are enough. This will let the experiment stay safe.
    First let the Oxygen be released from LiNiO2 at ~300 °C in the opened ampule.

Place the LiNi alloy inside the closed container and evacuate it.

Then one can build up a hydrogen, either 1H or 2H, atmosphere inside the container and
    start to heat it.

Same procedure then as before.

We need reproducible experiments. No attempts to replicate the impossible.

• Official Post

Let us make it even easier to reproduce:

No temperature measurements!

Just: Measurement of isotopic composition before heating procedure by ICP-MS method.
    Measurement of isotopic composition after heating procedure by ICP-MS method.

Measurement can be done by a third party lab.

This will cost a couple of hundred €. Crowdfunding?

Why should one do this one may ask? I know many here will now start to scream for excess heat measurements.

excess heats measurements are ambigous in a sense that they can orginate from other sources. Hidden electrical heaters.

Isotopic Measurements are not:

Change in isotopic composition compared to natural composition <=> nuclear reactions.
    No change in composition <=> no nuclear reactions.

• The idea of having an absolutely repeatable testbed also appealed to me and I poked around for likely experiments.

What I decided would be workable was carbon arc experiments, either underwater or in air that have been confirmed repeatedly to yield new elements. Some of these experiments go back a long way (before cold fusion or LENR were defined terms).

Here is only one link:
    http://amasci.com/freenrg/carbiron.html

• Official Post

Majorana, nuclear transmutations have been the focus of Japenese scientists for many many years, rather than excess heat.

Interesting. I am afraid I am not sufficiently aware of their works. The Question is: Have they ever examined isotope compositions of Li Ni compounds after heating and pressurizing?

If so I would be glad if you could give me a pointer to these works.

Why should one do this one may ask? I know many here will now start to scream for excess heat measurements.excess heats measurements are ambigous in a sense that they can orginate from other sources. Hidden electrical heaters.

If we're talking hidden electrical heaters here, that's fraud. And isotopes can result from someone buying isotopes and putting them in, if we're talking fraud. Like Rossi obviously did so his silly sample of ash ended up with 100% 62-Nickel. So why not measure both? Proper calorimetry isn't all that hard as I pointed out many times -- with this excellent example that works at hot cat temperatures:

https://gsvit.wordpress.com/20…te-calorimetria-a-flusso/

• Change in isotopic composition compared to natural composition <=> nuclear reactions.

One experiment I've thought of from time to time would be to have an airtight, evacuated ampule with a high-purity tungsten filament. The experiment is to discharge a large capacitor through the filament so that it vaporizes, and then to carry out a spectral analysis on any residual gas within the ampule. The discharge would be high current and low voltage, so that no ions are accelerated to plasma fusion energies. If the analysis reliably indicates that there are gaseous elements that are unlikely to be impurities in tungsten or to have leaked into the ampule, this would be a good an indication of something strange happening. A spectral analysis would be carried out beforehand as a baseline.

This experiment is different from burning out a lightbulb in the following ways:

• A huge current is used
    • The filament is vaporized in the discharge rather than simply broken
    • A spectral analysis is carried out before and after
    • The tungsten filament is high-purity

Btw, this is similar to the experiment of Paneth and Peters in the 1920s, in which they thought they saw helium and then later retracted. My questions are: does helium regularly show up in significant quantities? Do gases like xenon, argon, chlorine or nitrogen show up? Seems like an inexpensive, easy experiment to do.

• Official Post

about representativity of the Lugano isotopic dat,
    few mg of matter are representative if the material is well mixed.
    and if the material is not homogeneous at all, even 50% is not representative.

quantity is not the key, but homogeneity.

there is hint that the powder analysed is just a specific part of the full reacting material, that was scratched.

The huge isotopic shift, is clear, and difference between surface and bulk analysis show it is a complex phenomebon, that is absolutely not banal.
    The only question is if it is fractionation, and if someone was able to obtain 99% fractionation of Ni, he would deserve a Nobel, or at least he would be hired instantly by nuclear industry.

I am amazed how "skeptic" are clueless when finding strange data, just trying to prove it is not nuclear, while even if not nuclear as they say, it is a (bigger) revolution.

I nearly rolled over the floor laughing out loud when some proposed that energy of nuclear scale was stored chemically. If so, it is a revolution that industrial would follow immediately.

The reaction to such evidence is simply a physciatry experiment.
    You always can be careful, keeping the possibility of a fraud, artifact, but when seeing such results the only rational response is to frantically investigate, not to rationalize and dismiss without more curiosity.

About good evidence of nuclear nature, the Tritium is a great evidence of nuclear phenomenon.
    It can simply shut up skeptics.
    Tritium even at low level is easy to detect for competent people, and the background level is very low.

For me it is clear tha best evidences today are with PdD. NiH evidences are often badly shared, or too amateur.
    Ed Storms way is quite interesting. Good old PdD electrolytic lab rat.
    ENEA do that with NRL and SRI, not to prove (done since long) but to understand.

Anyway it is for experienced experimenters with fair lab tooling.

• AlainCo, you propose:

about representativity of the Lugano isotopic dat,
    few mg of matter are representative if the material is well mixed.
    and if the material is not homogeneous at all, even 50% is not representative.
    quantity is not the key, but homogeneity.

If you analyze a grain of "spent fuel" and find that it contains 98.7% of 62Ni it is not possible to assume that the reason for this strange result is lack of homogeneity. Nickel isotopes do not separate just by heating a nickel sample with some other substances.

Nor is it a tenable hypothesis to assume nuclear transmutation. If the enrichment assay and reporting are correct, meaning that the sample really was almost pure 62Ni the only remaining possibility is that the unused "fuel", which had a natural nickel isotope composition, was not the source of the sample.

• It is seldom that I quote Axil. however, he is insistent that the sintered Ni ash proves the Ni was heated to 1400C+.

If this is true it is proof positive that the provided ash sample was substituted - for example by substituting the reactor itself - because during the Lugano testing the reactor surface never got higher than 780C and while a temperature gradient of a few hundred degrees surface to core is possible the gradient 600+C is way too big to be possible.

Mind you - I'm not sure I believe Axil...

• In addition to the large change in the relative abundance of 62Ni, there was a big shift in the 7Li/6Li ratio. The 62Ni detail can potentially be explained by unrepresentative sampling of the fuel and ash, in which a particle of enriched nickel that was present from the beginning was observed in the ash but missed in the fuel. In the case of lithium, in the fuel the ratio of 7Li/6Li was 94.1/5.9 and in the ash the ratio was 42.5/57.5 (Appendix 4). This change is also something that would be interesting to understand. Since the lithium was likely to have melted under the temperatures of the experiment, a different explanation might be needed.

Perhaps the change in lithium happened through some kind of separation; if so, I'd be interested in seeing a demonstration of such an effect, which could be commercially useful.

The line spectra in Appendix 3 to the Lugano report also suggest a number of other isotope changes, although since in most cases the element has only a single stable isotope, it is impossible to rule out an unrepresentative sampling between fuel and ash.

• Official Post

The idea of having an absolutely repeatable testbed also appealed to me and I poked around for likely experiments.

What I decided would be workable was carbon arc experiments, either underwater or in air that have been confirmed repeatedly to yield new…

I haven't heard about this before but it sounds interesting. Thank you for the pointer!

Well, the reason why I pushed forward the isotope measurements and want to depart from heat measurement should be
    clear if one understood the purpose of the thread. I want to consider an experiment that is as simply as possible and as
    safe as possibly hence much more people can try it themselves.

Heat measurement is complicated compared to sending a sample of ash to a third party lab.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.