[IMPORTANT] Trolling and insulting users / Forum rules

• Official Post

There are billions of discussions out their how to handle trolls. The only working solution I know is to implement an user ignore button, so that everyone can decide on his/her own, if he/she wants to listen to the trolls or not. By the way, the amount of active trolls inside a forum is a very good indicator, better a proof, that something very important is going on!

• Would it be possible to implement an ignore function such that if I chose not to see the posts of a particular poster they would not be displayed? Couple that with a user stat the showed the number of ignores a poster had garnered might be useful.

A poster expressing a negative opinion is not an issue. A poster expressing the same opinion over and over again with out contributing any new information is an issue to me. That applies to both positive and negative opinions. This forum is about discussing the progress and failures of LENR. That is an evolving situation and to be a useful contributor to the forum the evolving nature of the discussion has to be taken into account by the posters.

• Official Post

Problem is not discussion about evidence and so on.
    it is off-topic critics.

maybe we could be more brutal about moving off-topic, to new-topic, or like many skeptic, to recurrent topic.

I think we could move most MY and sword partner answers into one very coherent thread, while being able to discuss powder with replicators, and theory with theorists.

there is also many theoretical discussion which could be moved to theory threads.

as much as many beusinns/sociological exchanges.

my hope is that it will benefit all. and after a bloody period where some discussion will be amputated and slightly incoherent, people wil adapt to that moderation.

I think we could move most MY and sword partner answers into one very coherent thread, while being able to discuss powder with replicators, and theory with theorists.

I don't recall *ever* posting to a thread about replication or theory alone. I reply to *claims* which are unsubstantiated or obviously lies and mistakes.

• Mary Yugo: Always ready to use a loose definition of "fraud" which is a crime, and requires proof beyond a reasonable doubt, yet be very stringent in her scientific standards regarding LENR experiments. While I applaud the SECOND of those traits, the first, her willingness to bandy terms like fraud with no standard of proof, is hypocrisy of the first order. This has been a standard and ongoing technique he uses. Another example is the claims of incompetence on the part of various researchers. Not a shred of proof that any individual is in fact incompetent, just a relentless stream of slanderous accusations. This is why most sincere bloggers see you as a bully and troll.

Please, Mary Yugo, continue your technical critiques, and if possible, suggestions for improvement, but lose the unjustified and hostile assaults. While there is no doubt that frauds and incompetents make up a significant portion of the "new energy" crowd, many sincere, hard working and competent researchers out there. You boil them all in the same pot, and the resulting soup is sour beyond any need.

While there is no doubt that frauds and incompetents make up a significant portion of the "new energy" crowd, many sincere, hard working and competent researchers out there. You boil them all in the same pot, and the resulting soup is sour beyond any need.

No, I most certainly do not include sincere, hard working and competent researchers in the group of obvious frauds. For example, I hesitate to know what to call Brillouin because they really haven't shown anything in the form of a demo or independent verification. And I admire Eugene Storms though I disagree with him. Certainly, he is honest. But to me, there is EVIDENCE that Defkalion was a fraud, that Rossi is a fraud and that Nanospire's principals say things that are simply insane (about alleged radiation sickness). I don't tar everyone with the same brush. I just go by the evidence. And I name the evidence.

• How is it Mary Hugo that you can appoint yourself as the judge and jury for all those you chose to brand as fraud and incompetent? A one man firing squad? Shame on you. Just continue to give us the evidence you find and let each one decide. I think it is even OK to announce what you think they are. But you state it as fact, and NOT opinion, which it is. It simply sours the whole discussion when you do that. You should know better, and it is exactly that which you often call other people out for. This is a thread about "rules of engagement" and "politeness". Why can't you understand that it is your absolute and superior attitude that diminishes your effectiveness and creates defiant proxies who simply cannot stomach your arbitrary pronouncements?

• Mary Yugo: How you can be sure that something does not work or somebody is fraud if you have absolutely no evidence and no knowledge about it? Even if it is in a mainstream media, you still have no right to call somebody in this way without any solid evidence. You can think whatever, but sharing such statements is really not beneficial to anybody.

• @me356@TheGomp
    I have explained many times why Defkalion and Rossi along with such companies as Sniffex, Steorn and many others are almost certainly frauds. I am not going to bore the others with the whole catalog of explanations again. Suffice it to say that there is plenty of information on the internet about both the claimed products and also about the proponents. That constitutes plenty of knowledge and evidence and allows reasonable inferences therefrom.

But consider Defkalion as an example. They claimed to have, and took investor money for, *dozens* of working, cold fusion/LENR reactors (Hyperions) producing more than 10kW on a desktop for months on a trivial amount of fuel. They claimed that some of the largest companies in the world had tested these and found them to be as claimed. They published detailed and ambitious but fanciful specifications of the Hyperions and presented them at an ICCF meeting. This is all in their deleted but still available forum and of course, ICCF proceedings. Billionaire Dick Smith was heavily solicited by people with NASA connections to invest a million dollars in the company back in 2011-2012. I and many others he consulted, helped him steer clear. I imagine he's grateful for that today.

Similar to Rossi's continuing claims of having "customers," no company, large and famous or not, was ever named or came forward with acknowledgement of testing. Defkalion was found to have been cheating on the measurement method and refused to redo the testing when challenged about it by their own distributor. No product was ever independently tested or marketed. The company then disappeared without a trace and with no explanation and we have to assume, without return of investor money. Can this be anything other than fraud? Can their claims be anything other than bald faced lies? Yet, the same people who think Rossi has a viable product also believed Defkalion did. See what I mean? Or do you actually think Defkalion's virulent rants against critics, duplicitous "offers to test" which were never real, and all their other subterfuges and lies were simply self deception? Or are we to believe that Defkalion really had the goods but some nefarious force, maybe anonymous internet pathoskeptics, did them in?

By the way, in the US, I have first amendment rights to call people frauds or to say that fraud is the most probable explanation for their actions and claims. If they disagree, they have the same right to respond and present their argument. If they think I have defamed them and caused them damage, they can take the dispute to court and sue for libel. I *dare* Rossi to sue for libel. He knows better than to do so because if he did, he would have to prove in court that his claims are true. Sniffex sued James Randi over accusations of fraud. As soon as the court demanded that they present their device to court-appointed experts for testing, they withdrew the suit. Rossi would do the same, I am quite convinced.

• Well it appears you have researched your rights to make accusations of fraud. How many would know of their first amendment rights in that regard, but a professional troll? One who has been there before. As prosecutor you trot out your evidence and as judge you hand down judgement. But we will not let you execute so blithely. You have outed yourself. There are many reasons why someone would fail to bring you to court in response to slander and only a McCarthy like prosecutor would use that as further evidence of guilt. So you use your "right" in a self righteous manner to assault individuals, some, or even many of which may be guilty ignoring the fact that if you harm even a single innocent person you are guilty of the crime (in my eyes) of character assassination. You have scruples when it comes to scientific evidence which you seem to cherish, but seem to completely lack in moral matters. I take it you are a vigilante of sorts, at least in your own mind. But like lynch mobs everywhere you only have to be wrong once.

That, sir, is why the rest of us ignorant bloggers find your technical skills a poor substitute for belief in a world governed by laws and not self superior individuals.

• @ TheGomp:

Mary Yugo is like a man trying to help a blind person cross the street in a busy traffic. But the vehicles in this traffic are not like the ones that we are used to. Instead of stopping at red lights and doing their best not to harm you their clandestine intention is to hit you hard, take your money and run.

He is doing so at his own peril and maybe his only reward is knowing that he has done something worthwhile. Who would reward him for telling the world that the clawless E-Cat equals E-Crap? Certainly not OPEC, but perhaps a blind man that he rescued from throwing money into this sink hole. I that case it is only fair to consider the reward to be a well earned consulting fee.

Yes MY, I know that you are eloquently able to manage your own defense, just wanted to express my opinion, thanks.

• Who appointed you and MY as the "parents" in the room? This superior "I'm protecting you from your own stupidity" rationalization is the same mindset held by everyone from Joseph McCarthy to the "I'll jail you for your own good for smoking weed" crowd. At least now we can discuss this "helping a blind man" superiority complex in direct terms. I for one do not want or need a new Mommy.

It just amazes me that obviously intelligent people can allow themselves this attitude, which in the end has always been a failure and moral disaster.

I just wonder how many other posters, here and at other blog sites appreciate "one-eyed man in the land of the blind" saviors?

But, in the end all that MY et. al, need to do is provide evidence as they are able and not judgements. I will draw my own conclusions.

• Internet forums are for the owner to decide, and enforce, rules. So there is no "what it should be".

But personally here are my views:

(1) personal attacks towards discussants.
    These are absolutely unhelpful. They may even be enjoyed by participants but they illuminate nothing and are at best self-indulgence, at worst hurtful.

The meme sometimes used here of labelling of specific skeptics as "pathological" or "obviously paid shills because otherwise they would not post" is actually personal attack, and unhelpful in this way. The first may be true, in a mild sense, of anyone who posts on the internet. The second is pretty obviously not true.

Labelling specific believers as mindless idiots of no sense is similarly an attack and unhelpful.

Making meta comments such as "believers just don't understand human nature" or "skeptics have a fixed view of theory that prevents them from correctly processing new evidence" is in my view not a personal attack. It is not very helpful because such views tend to be predictable. If it is made in a context which attaches the general comment to a specific person it is unhelpful as above, because it will distract from the debate.

Overall I reckon I am on the "be polite" side of teh spectrum when it comes to personal preference here.

(2) Robust and critical comment
    Suppose you think somone's argument is wrong. You have two options, say nicely "well, maybe your argument is wrong" or state precisely how and why it is wrong.

For me, pussyfooting around this is unhelpful. And it is impossible to note severe flaws in an argument without criticism. It does not need to be personal, but such debate needs to be robust when the facts are clear. When the facts are not clear the lack of clarity can be elucidated and agreed.

Technical work, in general, thrives on criticism. If things are wrong they can be corrected, if things are done in a cack-handed way then noting a better methods will be helpful. Insasfar as LENR research is part of science, rather than a sociological phenomena, it is technical work and deserves the same robust criticism that any other technical work would expect.

On this axis I guess I am personally towards the "impolite" end of calling a spade a spade. I greatly enjoy robust debate. I'm quite prepared (and in fact want) the same to be done to me.

(3) Balance

This is just not going to fly. My view of balanced debate will be very very different from Alain's. More generally prior views on whether LENR effects (as a real nuclear phenomena) exist will color all analysis of the marginal data and meta-data discussed here. So moderation for balance is an impossibility.

A site such as this has a choice. It can become a fan site in which the purpose is not to elucidate objective truth, but to affirm the views of its followers. That is what ECW does and if that happens I will leave. It may, however, be what people want here and if so it should probably happen. Why, though, would these people need something different from ECW which serves this function well?

Or, it can have as an objective the fostering of (polite) robust debate. For that, since most skeptics just don't bother with LENR forums on the internet, every skeptic with rationally presented views should be treasured. That includes MY. Her views are abrasive and not to my taste because of the strong statements that diverse people must be deliberately and cynically dishonest. But they are rationally argued and backed by facts. Occasionally she may descend to personal attacks on discussants here - that is regrettable but no worse than many others. So ban her and you are giving up on robust discussion.

(4) Signal to noise
    There is an issue with comments that have no content. But I have not noticed that very bad here. I think some people use this argument because they don't like too many of the posts coming from a view that they personally disagree with - calling such opposing views noise.

Ideally, in absence of any one view dominating, you would have different viewpoints equally presented. If we take the two views as "LENR has been proved beyond reasonable doubt by evidence" and "LENR has no credible evidence, and given that if it were real such evidence would almost certainly exists it is highly unlikely" then both views are clearly held by different participants here. The best chance for elucidation must then be to allow both sides to be presented and challenged, with an equal number of skeptic and believer posts.

I can feel hackles rising at the skeptic vs believer dichotomy - many will reckon they are neither, or redefine skeptic to mean undecided.

(5) There is a lot of evidence about LENR as a scientific hypothesis. If, in the face of this, you reckon you can't take a robust balance of probabilities view one way or the other that is probably because you are not processing the science facts. If the experimental results, when examined, stand up then belief is correct. If the experimental results, when examined, do not stand up then skepticism in the sense of "extraordinary evidence is needed" is correct.

I've noticed here that a lot of people don't process experimental results but argue based on sound bites or other people's analysis of results. That is understandable, but it makes views dependent on whom you trust to interpret results. Caution, in such a quandary, would lead to "undecided" or siding with the consensus majority of scientists. Most here are so because they reckon the consensus majority is wrong. Actually science by popularity contest is wrong so if you take judgement in your own hands you are responsible.

(6) Robust discussion of players.

If all debate here has to assume every statement Rossi makes is true the site follows ECW and I'm out. There are players (Defkalion now defunct) that have had every external appearance of deliberate deception, though I'm not sure that can be distinguished from PR and self-deception. So scam or scam-equivalent is part of the scene here. Giving people the benefit of the doubt is fine but by definition biassed. Personally I'd hold off any judgement of motive (and hence culpability) but also not assume honesty of any commercial LENR enterprise. Free energy is a fertile area for scams and vapourware - so a strong level of skepticism is needed. Equally, it is easy to get carried away when developing new technology that will save the world - so innocent self-delusion is to be expected and scam should not be assumed.

• Well, I think that I can get along with the views expressed by Thomas Clarke. There will never be a perfect solution to a dynamic problem so all we can do as individuals with different perspectives is define our endpoints, that is the ways in which the discussion can stop being constructive. Perhaps it is important to have each poster provide a statement of position before they are allowed to post. That makes more sense to me than having an avatar photo which is useless (but fun.)

In a debate type of interchange I can respect the use of good debating techniques, but also even a personal comment i.e. "pathoskep", or "true believer." We are, none of us, perfect, and it is unreasonable to expect perfect decorum.

However, I think that judgemental pronouncements regarding those not directly in the discussion should be strongly discouraged. No one individual has the right to decide who is or is not a scam artist, or incompetent, os a shill for the oil interests (of which I am guilty). They are typically not present to defend themselves, and more importantly the damage done by mistaken attacks of this kind is morally repugnant to me.

I have stated before I do not know if LENR (or any other new and remarkable energy source) is genuine. There has clearly been no result or technique published which even faintly resembles a "repeatable" experiment. The MFMP folks have thus far seemed determined to share their results quickly as well as being resolved to examine their results as stringently as they can while staying open to criticism and technically astute suggestions. There have been many positive experiments reported by other solid and honest researchers that simply are to important to simply discard as experimental error or (come on) more fraud. Remember that Pons and Fleischman had solid careers, and good experience in calorimetry. They were perhaps rushed to publication, and ended up looking foolish, but remember they also spent their time after their public destruction continuing to believe that their experiments had been remarkable and worthy of pursuit. And, of course, they are (were) not alone.

So the question to me is how all of us as bystanders who are somehow interested in this field can be useful. You, Thomas and probably MY and some others are in fact scientists with specialized training in relevant fields, I can only ask you to be constructive in your criticisms and leave the judgement out of it. Provide useful suggestions to the researchers, and terse, relevant reasons for your reservations to the rest of us. Just remember that if anything ever does come of LENR research it will require, without a doubt, new physics of some sort: it will impose a paradigm shift and I don't think that anyone can deny that. If you deny the possibility of there actually being an LENR phenomenon, and thust current physical science needs to be extended or changed then you are (in my opinion) being what we have come to call a pathological skeptic, that is someone who does not believe that current physical theory is ever subject to extension or revision.

I am tired of being accused of being irrational and living in La-La land because I think that that results of a large number of competent researchers, while incomplete and not repeatable, strongly suggest the need for a thorough and well funded attempt to find out what nature is trying to tell us. I think that is being done now in various places and while we will never be able to rule out LENR as a result of failures, there will come a time to say enough. Another year or two and I , for one, will lose any faint hopes of this being the discovery that saves humanity from its overwhelming insensitivity to the ravages the current energy systems impose on the Earth.

Not being trained in any of the relevant fields means that I can provide no technical insight. I can however resist the steamroller, no room for doubt perception of MY and other similar critics that they defend the idea that modern physical science has no possibility of being expanded, or revised. I just want them to be skeptical not only of exceptional results, but of the immutability of our current knowledge. In my opinion they are responsible for this perception because of the vigilante zeal they have shown by their long term, relentless and often impolite and hostile demeanor. I wish it were not so, but that is how they make themselves appear.

• Just as an aside, TheGomp, where is there room for doubt in the Defkalion story? Did you follow these people since 2011 like I did? Do you doubt that it was knowing and conniving fraud?

• Come on MY, give it a rest. This is a thread about proper discourse, not fraud or Defkalion. I'll happily tell you what I think of them in another thread, but this kind of response is why you appear like such a relentless vigilante. It's a matter of style - you know, how to make friends and influence people.

• Uh... oh! OK, TheGomp. Since you're such a fussbudget, what thread would you like? Write something in it. Me make friends and influence people? Nah. That's Rossi's department.

• Official Post

Michel raised a point.
    This forum is ther to help LENR innovators and the public.

There is forum where the theories of MY &al are discussed.
    Critics are useful here when analysing results, to warn about problems, like on Lugano or Celani MFMP.

Anyway trying to reframe the debate constantly to the conspiracy theory, is like allowing creationist to talk on a biology forum.

Many says our moderation, (mine especially) is coward.
    We are not there to be fair, but to be useful. usefullness requires to be fair, but in our framework, to detect errors.
    If you want to discuss conspiracy theory, there is place, and at worst we can build one.

I propose the skeptic corner if ECN is not the good place. (comments are very interesting there, and not only the one of Abd)
    and recurrent tentative to reframe the debate to deny the international conspiracy of LENR proven by gary taubes and Morrison, will be moderated there.

• I actually quite like the idea of a "skeptic's forum" which would contain balanced debate and have no censorship. It would then be possible for those who wanted to hear no evil to post without contrary opinions on other parts of the site.

As long as that did not lead to a lack of challenge everywhere.

I'm also not sure about the boundaries of this. For example there is a discussion of CR-39 craters on another thread. I've contributed to this by giving:
    (1) a very generic non-LENR mechanism for cathodic crators (so generic it is difficult to disprove it)
    (2) making the point that unexplained phenomena (such as these craters) are not necessarily unexplainable or extraordinary, and if not they do not provide evidence for other extraordinary and unexplained hypotheses, such as LENR.

Now, these arguments definitely advance a skeptical position, but are they therefore "conspiracy theory" and to be restricted to skeptics corner? I can feel quite a few duplicate threads being posted if so...

Alain's definition of "conspiracy theory" is perhaps such that anyone not convinced that LENR exists as a physical phenomena must be giving at least partial credence to a conspiracy theory?

Also I disagree that skeptical views necessarily are unhelpful to LENR research. Suppose, for example, that Ni-H LENR does not exist, whereas vanilla F-P Pd-D LENR does exist. In that case showing that apparently strong evidence for Ni-H is in fact weak would be helpful to those trying to understand LENR.

Personally I think anything which makes clear that Rossi's demos don't show LENR is helpful to the cause of genuine research since it reduces misinformation.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.