The Dennis Cravens Golden Ball reaction

• I wish people here would pay attention to details I previously posted?

• The thermistors used were not sealed for contaminated environments, and that type of thermistor is known to be sensitive to reducing atmospheres.
    • The thermistors were sealed inside the balls and never post-calibrated
    • H vs D would have differential diffusion through the permeable encapsulation
    • The high temp conditioning period looks likely to cause gas absorption by the thermistors, and is noted as being necessary to cause the temperature difference.
    • Therefore we'd expect a long-term apparent temperature difference due to calibration change

The paper posted here had details enough (including the thermistor type) to see this as a possible mechanism, no details of any check that would rule it out.

For me, this was an experiment that bugged me till I worked out this mechanism

• Official Post

OG,

Good find. Not surprisingly, the early nineties looked to be a very active period from that University of Utah document. Interesting also in that they were working with RF, magnets, glow discharge, loading limits, along with wondering about patent strategies. Same stuff others nowadays are "discovering", and discussing. You could be right, and maybe they had the answers all along, and they are buried in those documents.

It will be crazy IMO when the first legitimate, provable LENR for XH, transmutation, or nuclear waste remediation USPTO patent is approved. Many of the old guard will surface (if alive that is :) ), and say "hey, I said that years ago in my patent app, but it was denied", and they will be right.

• The thermistors used were not sealed for contaminated environments, and that type of thermistor is known to be sensitive to reducing atmospheres.

• I am not so sure about that. They were ON-910-44004 which is Omega's 2252 ohm interchangeable thermistors with immersion probes. Please give a ref for your " that type of thermistor is known to be sensitive to reducing atmospheres." Unshielded thermocouple do have that problem but I would like to know about shielded thermistors designed for immersion.
    • Hard to imagine that the thermistor part would be exposed much to D2 through the SS when only at 80C.

I have seen (on a closed private forum) where they were calibrated before the event and even plots of the temperatures across the bed but I will admit I have not seen a post calibration. It is hard to think that one and only one would have drifted by 3 degrees during a 5 day event when the system was at 80C and the specs for the thermistors are +/- 0.2 interchangeable up to 100C.

One possible problem would be that the 4.5” probes where slightly bent to fit into the 4 inch spheres. Possibly that could allow D2 to touch the thermistor of one but not the other. Doesn’t sound like a short since the temps where both room temp before the start and at the end.

• I am not so sure about that. They were ON-910-44004 which is Omega's 2252 ohm interchangeable thermistors with immersion probes. Please give a ref for your " that type of thermistor is known to be sensitive to reducing atmospheres." Unshielded thermocouple do have that problem but I would like to know about shielded thermistors designed for immersion.
    • Hard to imagine that the thermistor part would be exposed much to D2 through the SS when only at 80C.

I have seen (on a closed private forum) where they were calibrated before the event and even plots of the temperatures across the bed but I will admit I have not seen a post calibration. It is hard to think that one and only one would have drifted by 3 degrees during a 5 day event when the system was at 80C and the specs for the thermistors are +/- 0.2 interchangeable up to 100C.

One possible problem would be that the 4.5” probes where slightly bent to fit into the 4 inch spheres. Possibly that could allow D2 to touch the thermistor of one but not the other. Doesn’t sound like a short since the temps where both room temp before the start and at the end.

https://www.omega.co.uk/prodinfo/thermistor.html

Epoxy coated

Susceptible to reducing atmospheres the oxide-type thermistors are this (not surprisingly) but I cannot find the reference I had - I did link it in the previous threda.

If using a stainless steel probe there is H/D ingress through the SS (at high temp long time it will seep) and through the insulation seal where the terminals emerge.

• Talking to a "trusted friend"- he said he seemed to recall that they thermistor probes (stainless) were bent into a sort of up side down question mark shape so that the tip would be in the center of the balls.

I really doubt that H2 would go much through SS in 5 days at only 80C. I seem to recall you need to get somewhere over 400C or so for that.

Oh, don't forget that Inf. Energy had a second article by Rod Gimpel citing a replication. Infinite Energy: Rod F. Gimpel replicated Dennis Cravens

The system reminds me of Les Case's work (circa 1994) where he used a commercial catalyst -Pd in C - and in a spherical tank (he used old WWII O2 tank). Case also had to have a temperature gradient across his sphere to get any excess. It was that system (with Case working with them) that SRI got the famous 24Mev per He numbers.

file:///C:/Users/dennis/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/IE/TKEUTGBP/MalloveEreproducib.pdf

It makes me wonder.

• https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/CravensDcoldfusiona.pdf

Quote from the Golden Ball article - To assure a strong magnetic field in the active material the spheres contain a ground samarium cobalt (Sm2Co7) magnet, which stays magnetized at higher temperatures. This was powdered and the powder is mostly random but it should provide a strong magnetic field within the sample.

The LENR active element in the golden ball experiment is the ground samarium cobalt (Sm2Co7) magnet,

One of the LENR active agents in the overunity energy production is asymmetric magnetics, because these types magnets generate the Higgs mode.

Here is some background about the Higgs mode in condensed matter systems.

Elusive Higgs-Like State Created in Exotic Materials | Quanta Magazine
    Two teams of physicists have created the “Higgs mode” – a link between particle physics and the physics of matter. The work could help researchers understand…
    www.quantamagazine.org

• Didn't MIT refute Cold Fusion in '89?

Bit of history...

Out of MIT '91

Media for Solid State Fusion

Application filed by Massachusetts Institute of Technology 1991-05-16

WO1991006959A3 - Media for solid state fusion - Google Patents

Abstract

Media for electrochemical as well as thermochemical fusion apparatuses are provided. Materials systems consisting of deuterium storage intermetallic compound, transition metal/rare earth metal intermetallic compound and elemental material cathodes are combined with compatible electrolytes including solid deuteride electrolytes, cryogenic electrolytes and supercritical deuterium in electrochemical fusion apparatuses wherein a magnetic field may be provided to enhance fusion initiation in the cathode. Magnetic field fusion initiation enhancement is also part of an electrochemical fusion apparatus including a deuterium storage cathode and deuterium containing electrolyte. Thermochemical fusion apparatuses consisting of deuterium storage media and a source of deuterium with magnetic field fusion initiation enhancement are provided. Thermochemical fusion apparatuses consisting of intermetallic compound, transition metal/rare earth metal intermetallic compound or lithium, palladium, or vanadium material for deuterium storage and a source of deuterium which may include supercritical deuterium are provided. A thermochemical fusion apparatus using a titanium deuterium storage material with a supercritical deuterium source is also provided. The invention enables the operation of these electrochemical and thermochemical fusion apparatuses over a wide range of temperatures and pressures which may be adjusted to optimize the efficiency of the solid state fusion reaction.

Out of MIT

Cravens

Source

rle.mit.edu was first indexed by Google more than 10 years ago

Fleischmann-Pons effect studies

RLE Group

Energy Production and Conversion Group

Project Staff and collaborators

Peter L. Hagelstein, Dennis Letts, Dennis Cravens, Michael McKubre, Fran Tanzella

Prior to the experiment, we suggested that a response might be observed near 8 THz and 16THz, which correspond to the zero-group velocity points of the compressional optical phonon modes of PdD. The dispersion relation from a Born-von Karman model fitted to coherent neutron

scattering data for PdD0.63 [13] is shown in Figure 2. One sees that the phonon frequency at the L-point is computed to be around 16.6 THz, which seems to be in the vicinity of the excess power

response peak at 15.3 THz. In the coherent neutron scattering data, the data points at the L- point in one experiment ([13], PdD0.63) show up near 16 THz, while in another ([14], PdD0.78) they

are closer to 15 THz. The model frequency at the Γ-point is about 9.0 THz, in agreement with the coherent neutron scattering experiments, but there are incoherent neutron scattering experiments

that show a peak closer to 8 THz. We consider the excess power response near 8.3 THz as being connected with the Γ-point compressional optical phonons.

However, there remains the question of the signal at 20.4 THz, which lies above all of the PdD optical phonon modes. In this case, we conjecture that it is due to H contamination in PdD. Due to the higher solubility of H in Pd as compared to D, the H/D ratio in Pd at about 10 times the ratio

in the electrolyte. We have computed the phonon spectrum in the case of PdD with a 1 in 8 replacement of D with H in an ordered lattice as an analog to the non-ordered mixed problem, and we find that the L-point branch associated with the H occurs at 19.7 THz. This supports the

identification of the 20.4 THz signal with L-point equivalent H contamination. - end quotes

Source pdf

https://www.rle.mit.edu/media/pr151/34.pdf

• Well this Thz business is very interesting.

Letts and Cravens worked on this topic in relation with expectations of their friend P Hagelstein.

They applied on Pd/D substrat a phonon resonance, a beat in fact by playing with 2 close lasers in frequencies.

Interesting because it was the same postulate of the former French Kervran 50 years ago.

Again interesting Hagelstein considered the difference between optical vs acoustic phonons, only these first should be involved in LENR.

Now, we could also play with beats differently than with lasers...

• Well this Thz business is very interesting

Yes THz tech opens new horizons. An amazing field few know of. I certainly don't understand it, yet... I do grasp why axil explains these phenomenon in language different than non Femto Scale Physics. No one theory is complete. Many of these dozens and dozens of physics theories provide useful underpinnings. This is the playground of Dennis Cravens, Axil and many others working in the many and various fields of condensed matter...

Are any of the following electrogravitic phenomena (concepts) useful to reach high power condensed matter nuclear science energy technologies?

Such as

Hot and Cold Fusion?

LENR Thermal

LENR Electric

LENR Transmutation

Solid State Fusion

Fusion Diodes

EVOs

Yes

I believe so.

Perhaps?

Dennis Cravens applies these concepts.

• NASA breakthrough propulsion physics program

Article Feb 1999 ACTA ASTRONAUT

Marc G. Millis

... A reference to this may be found in a military report by Dr. Dennis Cravens who gave T.T. Brown a high rating of "practicality." Cravens reported in his evaluation of Brown that older, high voltage supplies always had some AC ripple to the regulated signal, and wonders if this had any effect on Brown's phenomena [16] . Dr. LaViolette has also found this factor to have particular electrogravitic significance. ...

https://www.researchgate.net/p…Electric_Propulsion_Study

. Reviewing unconventional approaches to this idea (Cravens, 1990) one finds the so called Biefeld-Brown effect, discovered by Dr. Paul Biefeld and Thomas Townsend Brown in the early 1920's. They found that if an asymmetrical electrode configuration ( Figure 1) was charged up to high DC potentials, a thrust was created moving the electrode setup in the direction from the low-flux to the high-flux region (in this case from the plate/disc to the wire) with respect to the ambient dielectric medium (usually air). ...

... This force due to currents in divergent electric fields (due to the asymmetrical electrode configuration) finds further support in 5-dimensional theories coupling the gravitational and electromagnetic field. Williams integrated a mass dependend 5 th dimension into the relativistic Maxwell theory predicting a coupling between both fields (Cravens, 1990, Williams, 1983. In this theory, a divergent current flow results in an induced mass flow if the coupling constant is non-zero. ...

... This section gives an overview of the concepts of 5-dimensional relativistic Maxwell theories. More details are given in the literature (Cravens, 1990, Williams, 1983. In 5-D space, the coordinates are given by x, y, z, t, and γ which indicates the 5th dimension.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.