Test of Abnormal Heat in Hydrogen Loaded Metal - Zhang Hang

• Official Post

English translation of Zhanghang's recent paper.
    Thx to Bob Higgins for translation.

Abstract

"This report describes the experimental replication of the significant abnormal exothermic phenomenon observed with the Rossi E-CAT apparatus."

Conclusion

An abnormal exothermic phenomenon was observed between nickel and lithium aluminum hydride fuel. The exothermic reaction lasted for 150 minutes. The temperature measured by the thermocouple at the outer wall of the reaction vessel was maintained 40-50 °C higher than the temperature of the thermocouple is installed between the reaction vessel and the furnace tube. This temperature rise is estimated to correspond to 100 watts of excess heat produced within the reaction vessel. An excess heat of 100 watts with an input power 682 watts is a ratio of 0.14 [and a COP of 1.14]. Multiplying the 150 minute duration by the ~100 watts of excess heat, the excess energy is calculated to be approximately 0.9 MJ. The maximum possible energy yield of the chemical reaction to 36 kJ; thus, the excess energy measured in this experiment exceeds the possible chemical energy by a factor of 25. Follow-up experiments will continue to attempt to improve the excess heat output. Acknowledgements: This work was supported by the China Institute of Atomic Energy. The author is grateful for guidance by his teacher, Song Jiang! Postscriptum: The author supplied the following image of the hot reaction vessel being extracted from the tube furnace during an experiment. The image elucidates well the assembly and thermocouple placement.

Update
    Unfortunately a part of getting a paper out quickly. The author of this paper, upon review from his mentor, asked for a change in the acknowledgements at the end. I have made the changes in the enclosed version.
    /Bob Higgins
    [ v4 ]

• Official Post

They talk about "pre treatment" without details.

2.1 Fuel is added into the crucible in the reaction vessel, and the fuel is initially pre-treated.

I don't see reference to the Thermocouple model (K? S?)

I would have loved to see another calibration cycle done with the same TC afterward to check the health of the TC.

It is not clear how they measure power, and if they account for phase shift and deformation power.
    There should be some phase shift because of the coil, but probably not much at this frequency, even with switching.

Many things to crosscheck, but TC seems to behave in a coherent way.
    I hope they work on confirming and crosschecking.

• Or no-one cares (much) because they are looking for stronger evidence than we have so far. This result is another interesting one, but basically a one-off (at least for now). I will get excited when we have a solidly replicable (and actually replicated) way of demonstrating that there are nuclear reactions going on here.

• IMO, the behavior of the innermost thermocouple compared to the outer thermocouple is consistent with a normal concentric tube-like insulated device at thermal equilibrium. The outer area is radiating heat faster than the inside, and a larger amount of material must heated on the outside, which slows the time required to reach thermal equilibrium. The inside has heat admitted radially from a larger circumference, which concentrates the peak temperature gradient towards the inside. The outer section has a much larger surface area than the inside from which to lose heat to the environment. (The thermal mass of the insulation might possibly be equivalent of that of the metal inside, due to it's much greater volume).
    The inside T was just beginning to overtake the outer T at the top of the first heating ramp, and would have been more obvious if the T at both thermocouples had been allowed to come to equilibrium (flat line). The strongest "excess" only shows up at the flat portion at the tail of the heating curve, and additionally at temperatures where radiant heat transfer overtakes conduction as the primary mover of heat. The temperature where radiant heat transfer overtakes the conductive transfer is raised considerably (compared to open air heater wires) due to direct cementing of the heater coils to the ceramic vessel. Mulite also has decreasing thermal conductivity with increasing temperature, which can actually lead to thermal runaway in extreme cases, as heat accumulates inside, but cannot escape as quickly as it accumulates.

A hotter inside compared to outside occurs in every MFMP test, and all other similar tests I have seen, and is not at all unusual.
    I don't think anything out of the ordinary is happening in this test.
    I believe that the same mass of steel or iron shavings from a lathe could be substituted for the LAH-Ni fuel, and identical results obtained if the same heating profile is used.

• The author did manage to stay within the destructive limits of the thermocouples, so I hope Jiang teams up with him and re-does his version with the experience gained here, so that the Jiang experiment problems can be mitigated and we can see what was actually going on with his experiments more clearly.

• Once again an awesome setup but a very poor experimental protocol and the conclusion is a pure guess work.
    They simply assume that the reaction vessel temperature should remain lower than the heater's, there is no actual calibration test to verify it.
    This time the maximum temperatures are within K-type TC's range, so that's an improvement from previous ones.

• Some ECAT replication efforts yield COPs >1 but most do not. For example: Parkhomov is having difficulty replicating his results because he is using a different Ni powder. I have run several ECAT-like experiments, all yielding null results, and suspect other replicators have had similar experiences. All these experiments use similar active ingredients: Ni, LiAlH4, H2 gas, and yet there is a troubling lack of repeatability. So some key parameter is missing. I suspect the lack of reproducability can be traced to pre-treatment of the Ni and a lack of understanding regarding exactly what the pre-treatment process is doing. Zhang-Hang states the Ni in his experiment was pre-treated. Is any way to find out details of his pre-treatment protocol?

To make real progress in LENR and convert it to a physics and engineering discipline it will be necessary to develop a workable theory that bridges the gap between QM interactions among a few particles and scale those QM methods to comprehend structures consisting of hundreds to thousands of atoms. Software tools of this type exist, although they may not have the proper QM approximations for non-stationary potentials or a treatment of the uncertainty relationship that takes into account correlation between operators.

All these experiments use similar active ingredients: Ni, LiAlH4, H2 gas, and yet there is a troubling lack of repeatability. So some key parameter is missing. I suspect the lack of reproducability can be traced to pre-treatment of the Ni and a lack of understanding regarding exactly what the pre-treatment process is doing.

While of course, should some LENR reaction actually exist, lack of repeatability could in principle be caused by many things, there is a more obvious reason.

Form the experiments which have been done (carefully) we know how easy it is to obtain apparent positive results from some artifact. That is why science requires a result to be repeatable (however good it is) before declaring new Physics. The few positives could just be artifacts.

Before anyone mentions Higgs bosons yet again let me point out:
    (1) that was the most boring result of the century: widely expected. In fact no Higgs boson would have been more interesting! So this is not an extraordinary result.
    (2) The particle was detected in two completely different experiments using different decay modes. The two different groups were not allowed to compare notes (even informally) as to what was the energy they found. The energies matched.

That (energies matching on different decay modes) is the type of internal validation that really helps make new results plausible. "Excess energy" has no such validation: any positive artifact will be a sighting. Radiation is much better simply because it is easily detected, can be detected by multiple instruments, and artifacts are less common, even though it is similarly non-predictive.

• All these experiments use similar active ingredients: Ni, LiAlH4, H2 gas, and yet there is a troubling lack of repeatability.

I'm guessing the missing ingredient is a radioisotope, e.g., an alpha or beta emitter. Tungsten, potassium, or even thorium, seem worthwhile to test. I would start out with the assumption that electricity must be run through them, and that they should be exposed to the hydrogen (i.e., not be on the outside of the device, simply heating it).

• Official Post

so Higgs is proven by two replication, with different instruments ?

Any LENR skeptic would laugh at a so weak evidence. (I don't, different experiments are better evidence of a common reality).
    He would add that teh rate of success is ridiculous (how many colision over a trillion?)
    that the instruments , even if well calibrated, are extremely complex and may be, like Opera, suffering huge artifact, that we can even not imagine.

Of course I'm not so dishonest and, even if ready for a retraction, I take it as a good news.

If Science was done like LENR opponents do, there would be no science.

• Official Post

You are not aware of Fralick chain of replication ?
    Of Iwamura chain of replication ?
    Of Fleischmann/Miles/Lonchampt/ENEA... long line of replication
    of Mizuno chain of replication
    of Spawar codeposition chain of replication
    of ENEA/SRI/NRL cross replications

I don't give the details, because of course you know them all.

at least unlike LHC there is more than 2 replications

before saying there is no replication, I think it should be good to read, at least what I gathered since 2012 :D
    I was surprised to see numerous line of replications, huge power events, even if not all lines are are well replicated

• Official Post

You are right.
    I agree that recent experiments, are a bit like the MIT/Caltech experiments done in 40 days with short money by inexperienced team discovering the domain.

It tooks 1 year to chemist, and 2 years for an electrochemistry educated physicist to replicate F&P (and 13 month to Lonchampt, an engineer).
    When you see the quality of the first Wright brother's replications, patience is a good advice.

There is an improvement at every version of experiment in a line....

• At risk of wandering off topic, I understand the desire by experimenters to get to the successful end result as quickly as possible.
    But until even a null version of the experiment can be successfully replicated a few times, the system may not be very well understood in basic terms.
    The variability in non-LENR situations in a particular device design might not be well characterized, and things that may appear to be excess heat or other successful result parameters can be hastily ascribed to a particular experiment, and then is later found to be something else. Many of these false positives can be prevented by simply doing a null system enough times to get a good handle on the experiment. Most people skip this step. Then the results are spread around, and are soon "debunked", which does not help the field at all, and worse, gives the field a bad reputation for sloppy work. Which in many cases is not undeserved, especially if easily preventable.

• Official Post

Yes, null experiment, calibration, understanding of the null experiment and of all artifacts is required.

By the way, using standardized setup like Model-T, or any similar standardized third party setup, may allow people to share those data.

One big problem in early LENR experiments was the variety of setup, which raised new artifact possibilities, or were accused of no more possible artifacts.

There should be a work on capitalization of experience.
    It seems to be happening in each line of experiment, including the Songsheng/Zhang line.
    Time to share more and cross the lines?

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.