Laser/photo-nuclear waste transmutation

• This is interesting, Lou. I see the laser energies are large, even though they are far below "hot fusion" by inertial compression levels. I wonder if there is a "window" at much lower energies, just as there apparently is for protons, as seen in the Lipinski-UGC WIPO application data set. There it was seen that high energies were counterproductive.... much lower energy protons had a free pass, so to speak, with the lithium target easily susceptible giving Q values (energy out over energy in) for the product alpha particles all the way up to 7000 (approximating that value as a COP).

The idea of "tuning" laser, proton or electron energies to specific susceptibilities seems viable, particularly with a high value endpoint such as radio-isotope remediation. The tuning may have the bonus of avoiding need for high purification of the target as well.

I wonder how any of this compares with the Mitsubishi work?

• Official Post

it seems classical MeV induced transmutation, using Laser as particle accelerators...
    Nice concept anyway.

“Only puny secrets need keeping. The biggest secrets are kept by public incredulity.” (Marshall McLuhan)
    twitter @alain_co

• The related questions I have, assuming LENR results are accurate, are:
    - Can wave shaping and/or nano-particle/wire EM concentrating effects create
    "hot spots" with high enough amplitudes with less intense stimuli? - e.g.,
    "Particles accelerate without a push"
    http://news.mit.edu/2015/self-accelerating-particles-
    "Sub-Atomic Particles Could Accelerate Themselves"
    http://gizmodo.com/sub-atomic-…ate-themselves-1681765188
    (There are also many papers on Arxiv demonstrating that classically accelerating
    particles to high kinetic energies is not necessary to increase tunneling)
    - Can a current of coherent electrons collectively absorb gamma-ray "kick backs"?

• Interesting questions, Lou. The energy absorption of a current of electrons might be limited by the mass of such a current. A current of protons or hydride ions would have much higher absorption capacity.... that is the relativistic transform of the 1836 and 1837 times the per particle momentum (p=mv), rest masses respectively. I suspect the other limitations there are the resonant coupling constants. A 20 ~MeV gamma photon has well below any pair production energy for protons, which must be over ten times that energy, whereas electrons are in the range for 2X 511 keV electron/positron pair production. It seems that a current to be a useful absorber must consist of elementary particles that have a relativistic masses below their constituent pair production energy... otherwise they could not be expected to absorb but only convert the impinging photonic flux to equal or even higher energy output.

• Longview,
    First - NO assertions - just speculations --
    I am not sure, but I think you are assuming an uncoupled "billiard ball" model of current flow.
    It may be more complicated than that - e.g., the magnetic field generated by the (sometimes)
    immense current densities flowing in nano-wires/plasma-filaments generate strong magnetic fields
    that couple electrons so that they behave as a viscous fluid. I believe the momentum available
    to electrons in such currents can be very large. For example, see
    "What the electromagnetic vector potential describes"
    http://exvacuo.free.fr/div/Sciences/Dossiers/EM/ScalarEM/J Konopinski - What the Electromagnetic Vector Potential Describes - ajp_46_499_78.pdf
    "Thoughts on the magnetic vector potential"
    http://abacus.bates.edu/~msemon/thoughts.pdf
    Also, we might further speculate that an electron coupled to such a flow is analogous to the atom at the tip of an arrow.
    Its coupling to the arrow body, allows it to borrow enough energy to penetrate targets that it never could alone.
    Also, the acoustic "ping" generated by the impact (maybe analogous to a gamma) is greatly reduced.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.