Replication of Holmlid and Olaffsons experiment - required components

• Official Post

I would like to discuss which components would be needed for and how expensive
    a reproduction attempt of Holmlid and Olaffsons experiment would be.

I am not sure about the prices for excess pressure chambers. Probably a few hundred €/$ should be sufficient. But does anyone have an idea where to buy an affordable yet sufficient vacuum chamber?

I found this one for example: http://www.ebay.de/itm/like/231551817812?lpid=106&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

150 € would not be too much.

But what about the Hydrogen or Deuterium? Is it too dangerous?

I guess the potassium-doped iron oxide catalysator will be the cheapest component and fortunately completely harmless.

• In a close replication the most expensive equipment would be a nanosecond pulse green/infrared laser similar to that used by Holmlid in his studies, which would require alone more than 10k €/$ (last time I checked).

Without one, the experiment would be different enough that other components could be changed as well, in which case a simpler and cheaper tubular reactor (for example like the ones used by MFMP) could be used instead. The most expensive equipment would then likely be the vacuum pump (+ fittings) which would preferably have to be at least a two-stage model.

By including suitable radiation detection equipment costs would quickly increase again, though.

• Official Post

Jack Cole have made a post on his efforts to replicate Holmlid, to discuss about it.
    http://www.lenr-coldfusion.com…eene-experiment-series-1/

Jones Beene has been conducting a series of exploratory experiments attempting to find an alternative and simpler method of producing the Holmlid effect. I wanted to start a separate post here where the current experimental series can be discussed and logged as it progresses. For those who have not already read it, please see our page on replicating the Holmlid effect. It is also linked at the top of this site for convenience. Jones is currently exploring interesting effects seen with the addition of a high voltage source.

• @ Marjorana: I would go for a Eugene Langmuir experiment: Within a Quartz tube you have two tungsten electrodes, one on each side. You evacuate the tube thoroughly and fill it with hydrogen (I do not know what pressure, but yo can find it on the Internet. You have a proper DC source with a fast current control and at least 300 volts available and connect it to the two electrodes. You initiate a plasma between the electrodes. Be careful because it will radiate gammas and produce more heat energy than electrically applied as Langmuir has found. You can also ask me357, who has done a test recently.

• To get the particle data, the experimenter might need one or more high performance oscilloscopes to time the decay of the subatomic particles produced by the short laser shot.

But all this equipment might be provided by the US govenment labs through the submission of a research proposal if the replication documentation is freely available to the general public.

• Official Post

In case you missed it, Jack Cole made another post
    http://www.lenr-coldfusion.com…mlid-alternatives-update/

Jones Beene and I have continued working on alternatives for new experiments. Jones has been running several experiments that have shown interesting results, but he is trying to rule out mundane explanations. Our latest idea is to fix the “fuel” to a lighted surface with epoxy. Jones’ latest idea was a clever adaptation of MFMP’s glow stick. He painted the fuel on half of a florescent light and is comparing the performance to the unpainted side.

• Perhaps the word can be returned to Cole and Beene. Fluorescent lights quite famously produce low voltage x-rays, particularly near the igniter filaments at the ends. Any asymmetry in such a set up could produce some confusing or confused results.

However, an excellent set of experiments might deliberately look at germicidal lamps which are essentially the mercury arc inside a quartz tube and with no phosphor coating inside. Such might be an interesting "stimulus" for exciting some reactions in a relatively safe and low temperature way.

• Perhaps the word can be returned to Cole and Beene. Fluorescent lights quite famously produce low voltage x-rays, particularly near the igniter filaments at the ends. Any asymmetry in such a set up could produce some confusing or confused results.

However, an excellent set of experiments might deliberately look at germicidal lamps which are essentially the mercury arc inside a quartz tube and with no phosphor coating inside. Such might be an interesting "stimulus" for exciting some reactions in a relatively safe and low temperature way.

There are some LEDs that produce UV light.

Perhaps the word can be returned to Cole and Beene. Fluorescent lights quite famously produce low voltage x-rays, particularly near the igniter filaments at the ends. Any asymmetry in such a set up could produce some confusing or confused results.

There are some LEDs that now produce UV light.

• There are lots of LEDs in the UV category. A couple available clear out to 220 nm, if I recall correctly. But to get the X-rays incidental at the ends of fluorescents and "neon" lights, well that is not happening with LEDs, yet.

As you likely know, many "white" LEDs are UV to phosphor to light devices, similar in that principle to the wavelength upconversion via phosphors in fluorescent lamps.

• There are lots of LEDs in the UV category. A couple available clear out to 220 nm, if I recall correctly. But to get the X-rays incidental at the ends of fluorescents and "neon" lights, well that is not happening with LEDs, yet.

As you likely know, many "white" LEDs are UV to phosphor to light devices, similar in that principle to the wavelength upconversion via phosphors in fluorescent lamps.

fluorescent lights only convert 85% of the UV light to visible light. X-rays might not be needed to stimulate Holmlid's ethylene catalyst. UV might be good enough, but yes, XUV might be better.

• That conversion efficiency applies to phosphor white light LEDs as well. But the loss of conversion efficiency is aggravated some in the fluorescents due to higher thermal losses. The UV LEDs have a fairly narrow UV spectrum, and one that in theory won't carry peaks of energy that can damage phosphors as might be seen in a Hg or Hg-Ar arc.

Yes, XUV sources are available and could be very interesting. Vacuum UV and now soft X-ray sources are hot items in silicon lithography now reaching under 10 nm, with little end in sight (so to speak). Of course optics is always an issue, lenses must be made with diffractive or grazing incidence reflective rather than transmissive optics, the MgF2 transmission limit being 110 nm.

• Maybe a good start would be to detect the same signature in nuclear particle decay, not using Holmlid's setup but a more traditional PdD electrolytic cells or NiH reactor. A simple cloud chamber could do the trick. And decaying signals similar to those observed by Holmlid in his recent experiments may be the missing link we are all looking for.

• Maybe a good start would be to detect the same signature in nuclear particle decay, not using Holmlid's setup but a more traditional PdD electrolytic cells or NiH reactor. A simple cloud chamber could do the trick. And decaying signals similar to those observed by Holmlid in his recent experiments may be the missing link we are all looking for.

This excess heat meme is difficult to overcome in the replicator community. The correct scientific detection method for LENR is sub-atomic particle detection and identification. Someday, this new idea will get through and the truth of LENR will then unfold.

• A question as a non-expert in neutron detection. Can a muon signal (as Holmlid is detecting) be in some cases mistaken for a neutron signal, especially when muons are not expected? I guess this would not be the case with a cloud chamber, but what about when a cloud chamber is not used?

My guess is that the slower muons could undergo capture in the detection material, giving rise to an elusive neutron-like signal. I could be wrong, however.

• The biggest problem I am seeing in Beenes and Coles setup is that they don't use a suitable laser source
    for excitation. They seem to be able to handle the potassium catalyst and also H2/D2 though.

It would be interesting to use a potassium catalyst with larger active area, similar to activated charcoal, and then apply
    the D flow through it.

charcoal will not work, its crystal structure is wrong, it must be graphite with a hexagonal structure.

• Official Post

charcoal will not work, its crystal structure is wrong, it must be graphite with a hexagonal structure.

No- charcoal definitely doesn't work with D2O at least -and potassium carbonate electrolyte. Not for me, anyway.

You haven't read and understood my post. I wrote similar to activated charcoal refering to it's larger surface area.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.