Inverse : Cold Fusion is News Again, But the Search for the Energy Holy Grail Ain't Over

• The link has some very interesting observations particularly from Ed Storms, worth reading in full:

Extract: Like Storms, Biberian stressed that palladium deuteride cold
    fusion has been proven again and again, but that nickel hydrogen cold fusion —
    the one with commercial potential — remains a question mark. On the plus side,
    he says that “palladium deuteride” results are improving.” Unfortunately, the
    people conducting that research are scientists more than engineers, and thus
    not particularly concerned with practical applications. It’s the practical
    application, after all, that has made cold fusion the bogeyman of the science
    world.

Best regards
    Frank

• So: "There is the pretty epic thinkpiece in Aeon."

Would that be the article on Aeon where Huw Price said: "There are credible reports that a 1MW version of his device, producing many times the energy that it consumes, has been on trial in an industrial plant in North Carolina for months, with good results so far."?

The plant was in Florida, not North Carolina, and the "good results" are Rossi suing the company that agreed to the test, and said company accusing Rossi of fraud.

And this article was written MONTHS after the lawsuit between Rossi and IH started. It seems that Prof. Price has written interesting things about Time. Well, it's Time that he comes back to THIS universe. Epic, shmepic!

Edit: The article is "The cold fusion horizon"

• Huw Price is a philosopher, or possibly a sociologist. Not a scientist, nor an investigative journalist. I'd hope no-one here would take his comments as more than they are, drawing selectively from current affairs to support a particular philosophical (sociological?) treatise.

So: he was wrong before, how he changes his views now we do not know, but in any case his expertise and probably interest is not really the matter at hand, but more, I believe, some abstract sociological point that he thought was illustrated by the matter at hand.

He'd probably argue that his general point remains valid regardless of the specific facts here. I'd agree, which is why I don't view philosophy (sociology?) as a good predictive indicator as compared with hard science.

• Official Post

I don't view philosophy (sociology?) as a good predictive indicator as compared with hard science.

I think it depends upon what you are attempting to predict. Philosophy gave science much of its early logic framework. It is intrinsic in the scientific method, as are many other disciplines. Science itself is not that good at prediction - where are our flying cars, for example?
    Measuring the predictive power of sociology is more tenuous I suspect, but then I am not sufficiently expert in the field to judge. The past, as described by Historians is an equally uncertain guide to future events. I think on the whole that any attempts to predict the future -wether of the weather, stock-market moves or whether you will get laid tonight are beset by many uncertainties, So many in fact that we might as well concentrate on shaping the present to be the best present we could possibly have.

• Science itself is not that good at prediction - where are our flying cars, for example?

That was a failure of engineering, not science. Also, few experts in aviation in the 1950s were predicting flying cars. They said that air traffic control limitations would preclude that. When people proposed flying cars, aviation experts usually told lawmakers that would be a terrible idea, and they tried to stop it.

In the future, air traffic control techniques may improve, and fully automatic flying vehicles may become possible, so flying cars may become possible after all.

• Official Post

That was a failure of engineering, not science.

I would regard engineering as a scientific discipline and the bastard love-child of physics. Or maybe the other way around. While its roots may be in craft by the time the Wright brothers came along those same roots were supporting a huge growth of material science and mathermatics.

• Quote from Longview

If I recall correctly, you long ago indicated here a sociological interest in LENR / CF. Is that correct?

I've only been posting here a month or so, as you can see. I did recently say that I find the psychological and (implictly) anthropological issues surrounding the Rossi affair and LENR fascinating. But I've always been clear that is distinct from the science, which also interests me.

• Most of it is in the videos. I do not know how to post it in a new thread. I dont play with forum much.
    Please view the video. If all you are looking to do is heat water, you can just add Magnetrons through the glass base plate from the primarys to create the wave or Particle.
    Good hunting.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.