Clays - possible environments for COLD FUSION.

• Official Post

Good luck H.G., and please keep us informed if you can. And my offer of some pro-bono help from 'lookingforheat' is still open - we are not as some have suggested solely interested in Ni-H research, but within the limits of time and money are open to all ideas. The main problem with LENR studies, is that there are too many talkers, and too few experimenters, a situation we are trying to remedy.

• Clays are also interesting in that similarly to zeolites, they have a negatively charged surface and extensive internal nanostructure composed of pores and channels. This means they attract positive ions like protons (or deuterons), etc. Unfortunately they aren't stable at mild to high temperatures, but they seem a nice(r) environment for low-temperature electrolytic LENR. Some diagram from the internet below:

It also seems that the higher the pH of their environment, the more negatively charged clay particles are: https://www.quora.com/Why-does…rry-a-net-negative-charge

• One notable difference is that with large amounts of water clay granules tends to disgregate and form a colloid composed of smaller units (called "clay micelles") with the visual appearance of a slurry or mud, while zeolites retain their shape (as far as I am aware of, but I haven't personally tested—yet). So any proposed electrolytic cold fusion reaction would be either through this slurry or possibly at the interface between the slurry and the cathode.

As for the experiments I think the main issue is making meaningful measurements of quality high enough that can be reported in a paper. The second one is that people tend to experiment more with what has been at least sometimes hinted to work. Clays specifically, I haven't found anything meaningful reported on LENR-CANR.org.

Since clay is a very readily accessible material (e.g. cat litter) I have been trying to do some tests to see if the above concept was feasible, using sepiolite and KOH electrolyte; electrolysis does still occur through it (with some difficulties) also when it forms a more compact (but still fairly hydrated) block. That's about what I have been looking at; no meaningful attempt measuring excess heat is being performed although I'm still running the background Geiger counter just in case—nothing there. The anode side of the jar feels slightly warmer to the touch probably due to slow oxidation/burning of the graphite rod I'm using.

EDIT: for what it's worth, I have inverted electrode polarity and after a while now the other side (copper electrode in the photo) is the one that feels slightly warmer. Admittedly though, fingers aren't very reliable temperature sensors.

• By the way, I put a food thermometer in the general area close to the electrodes, and that confirmed that the anode is about 2°C warmer than the cathode. I suspect this might be mostly due to electrode oxidation, but I'm not entirely sure.

• 23.5 °C vs 25.6 °C (outside wall)
    • 24.3 °C vs 26.6 °C (internally, close to the electrodes in a general area at about their middle section, with power disconnected)
    • Room temperature 19.3 °C
    • DC current: 0.18A @ 12.1V

Also, as expected the cell works a bit like a battery and disconnecting power leaves it with a residual voltage of 1.7V. After shorting the electrodes, voltage decreases to about 0.85V and slowly increases from there, at least in the short term.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.