me356: Reactor parameters [part 2]

• Axil- try this paper by Eric Walker.

http://vixra.org/pdf/1512.0266v1.pdf

I speculate that the element mix compiled by Eric Walker are the various transmutation produces of tungsten and lanthanum which came from the rare earth doped welding electrode. Lanthanated tungsten electrodes (AWS classification EWLa-1.5) contain a minimum of 97.80 percent tungsten and 1.30 percent to 1.70 percent lanthanum, or lanthana, and are known as 1.5 percent lanthanated.

There could also be other heavy element contaminants contained in low concentrations in the welding rod used to sinter the fuel in the fuel preprocess step. The fact that these heavy elements are only found on the surface of the fuel particle imply that the heavy elements were transmuted and then were welded onto the particle surface as a last step on the fuel preprocessing. The presence of sodium implies that a etching process was first performed before the spark based sintering was performed.

• If your question is directed at me, my working assumption is that LENR depends upon one two or three of the following things: (1) a heavy nuclide, possibly an alpha emitter, that can fission or decay by way of alpha decay; and/or (2) a nuclide theoretically (or actually) unstable against beta decay or electron capture; and (3) something like hydrogen or deuterium, or electric arc discharge, etc., to provide non-equilibrium conditions at the surface of the "fuel" sufficient to radically change the electron density for brief periods of time.

One important assumption here is that solid state modeling (modeling the electron density in a solid) is not yet good at dealing with non-equilibrium conditions.

My assumption is that all the heavy elements found were stable and as such were produced by LENR based spark transmutation. The fact that the insides of the fuel particle did not show any heavy elements indicate that the heavy elements were not added intentionally as a component of the fuel but were produced as a contaminant generated by electric arc transmutation.

• Contamination is entirely possible. And there's no compelling reason for me to conclude at this point that the fuel from Lugano is anything to look at. But the graphs of the fuel samples that were analyzed were after sputtering that was done to remove the carbon adhesive. So they were some depth into the selected particles, not necessarily at the surface.

• It is my belief that the vigor of the LENR reaction is directly related to the surface treatment that the nickel receives as a fuel pretreatment step.

The probability that the LENR reaction is produced and the strength that the reaction achieves might be directly related to the porosity of the surface area of the nickel powder as well as the size of the cavity features generated on the surface of the particles.

The amount of hydrogen that the powder absorbs also is proportional to the vigor of the LENR reaction that the nickel powder generates. The high porosity nano dimensional modified Ni powder exhibits high power of hydrogen adsorption (600 µgH2/g).

The nickel wire mentioned above was pretreated by a etching process where the surface of the nickel wire was resurfaced with nano dimensional pitting.

• Eric Walker:

"If your question is directed at me, my working assumption is that LENR depends upon one two or three of the following things: (1) a heavy nuclide, possibly an alpha emitter, that can fission or decay by way of alpha decay; and/or (2) a nuclide theoretically (or actually) unstable against beta decay or electron capture; and (3) something like hydrogen or deuterium, or electric arc discharge, etc., to provide non-equilibrium conditions at the surface of the "fuel" sufficient to radically change the electron density for brief periods of time."

I when through all the various types of heavy element contaminants looking for the isotopes that corresponded to the hadron counts recorded in the fuel assay. I was able to find stable isotopes for all counts recorded in the ash assay. This lead me to conclude that these elements where produced by LENR transmutation and therefore were not intentionally added as a radioactive additives.

Furthermore, Rossi has repeatedly claimed that there are no radioactive additives included in his fuel.

• Furthermore, Rossi has repeatedly claimed that there are no radioactive additives included in his fuel.

(1) For the heavier nuclides, I assume there's no need for them to be radioactive; they simply need to have a theoretical spontaneous fission cross section, even if they are observationally stable. In practice that means elements at around palladium and heavier. (2) Rossi has claimed many things. :) (3) Lugano is probably a bust anyway.

• I also know of one other replicator who wishes anonymity getting xs heat with 'badly plated' (ie- rough) Nickel sheet in a hydrogen atmosphere with tungsten wire heater. Rather like an old fashioned radio valve.

Can you tell us any more about this? Does the nickel sheet surround the tungsten "filament" as in a radio valve? Is there an oxide coating, or other coating as in such a valve? Does the replicator state where the excess heat appears, that is on the nickel sheet or on another electrode (analogous to the "plate") in the same chamber? Is there a bias voltage or some other varying electrical stimulus imposed on the system?

Thanks for this information, in any case, Alan Smith!

• Official Post

Hi Longview.

I think I can tell you the Ni sheet is cylindrical and surrounds the filament, obviously open above and below. The enclosure is made from Quartz and the Quartz can be immeresed in water to cool it. Heat is conveyed to the Quartz by radiation from the outer surface of the Ni cylinder (which is close to the Quartz) and by convection currents in the Hydrogen atmosphere. Hydrogen actually has a high specific heat. I don't know much about the internal pressures. If you read the work of Irving Langmuir you will see that Tungsten actually decomposes H2 into monatomic Hydrogen - I think this may be a 'clue'.

• Axani and Conrad published instructions for building the detector on the open-source physics publishing site arXiv, and have been reworking the project with the aim of making it accessible to high-school students. No math more advanced than division and multiplication is needed, Axani says. And the parts don’t need to be new, meaning students could potentially take advantage of leftovers from experiments at places like Fermilab.

“This should be for students to build,” Axani says. “It’s a good project for creative people who want to make their own measurements.”

LookingForHeat should offer both the kit and the assembled detector.

• This is the company that patented the plasma fabricated high activity catalyst powder mentioned above. They might provide high activity nickel powder until LookingForHeat gets up to speed.

Company ProfileSector: Industrials
    Industry: Electrical Equipment
    Sub-Industry: Electrical Components
    SDC Materials, Inc. designs, develops, and integrates nanomaterials. The Company focuses on elemental nano metals, alloys, carbides, nitrides, and ceramics, as well as additives including nano aluminum, cobalt, copper, nickel, molybdenum, silicon, and tantalum dispersions. SDC Materials operates worldwide.

Corporate InformationAddress:
    940 South Park Lane
    Suite 2
    Tempe, AZ 85281
    United States

Phone: 1-480-966-6106
    Fax: -
    Web url: www.sdcmaterials.com

• You build one Axil and I will test it and put it up on our website. We sell very few Geigers btw, so I think demand for Muon detectors might be even more modest.

I

I have no talent in those things. But I venture to say that the lack of interest in exotic particles in preference to excess heat is the major reason why LENR experimentation languishes.

• @me356
    Just a post following up on a request from a month ago regarding possible video's of the experiments you are currently conducting. I believe you replied saying videos were a possibility. Have you managed to find the time to create some videos for the interest of the community?

• An update would be welcome.

• ME356 did show quite a lot from his reactor. It's evident a long HF discharge is passed along the actual active material, probably inside the metal boat. Both electrodes
    which are leading discharge are outside of reactor (ceramic tube) and they don't participate to reaction at all.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.