The Playground

• External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• Probably added a new divide-by-almost-zero math section.

Just a guess.

• I don't regard Rossi as a theoretician (despite his relativity thesis), so I'm not even going to try.

Curiously, Researchgate doesn't seem to keep a history log.
    It's dated

January 2019,

but the "Premise" of the article says (won't cut'n'paste)

.. major revision Dec 24, 2020

and a mouse-over "Author content" says "Uploaded Oct 21, 2022

Edit: he probably got three page-views/entire-read out of me

• The input power consumed seems to be decreasing substantially with time.

I've set up a motion detector on the youtube amps display.
    (Coincidentally, I have another work camera watching an LED on a LAN switch!)
    I need to switch cameras to get a smaller field of view, shielded from ambient light changes.

At a glance, I see "bumps" (0-1-0 transitions) at intervals between 15 seconds and 3 minutes. And all the data is in an xml file, so I can calculate the duty cycle.

• Instead we have people trying to look at noise fluctuations of the power supply least significant digit ...

There is a 4-digit decimal display on the DC Supply : that's 10,000 values.

I looked at analog.com's catalog. They have 41 parts in the range 8-16 bits.
    All are 16-bits, except for one 12 bit.

(12 bit model AD7170 $1.26, 16 bits AD7171 $1.46 -- two required in a $50 unit)

12 bits only covers 4096 values, 16 bits covers 65,000

That is mapped onto a 10,000 value display

If I were designing such a system I'd throw away the bottom 4 bits.

So you really think jitter/quantization errors are going to show up in the bottom displayed bit?

In any case, I do my worst-case analysis by saying that a "0" in the bottom displayed bit could be between 0.0 and 0.9999 and a "1" is between 1.0 and 1.9999

• Please remind me to not recommend you for our EE position at my company.

• Explain then how jitter/etc in the bottom few bits of a 16-bit ADC (Reference 1.0 V) will show in the lowest bit of a 4x10 display.

What IS the highest value that will show a "0" but actually be "1" in the bottom digit.

(These values in range 0-1000mA for ease of description)

Edits: for discussion purposes I set the reference voltage to 1.0 (vs 1.25). + typos

• This kind of Wanptek PS has an accuracy not better than 3-4 digits (or even worst if the percentage value that contributes to overall accuracy calculation is not referred to the reading) so any chatter or calculations by magician's supporters about the “significance” of displayed values like 0.000A or 0.001A are like rubbish just good for minions.

• Alan,

There are two factors here that can make a meter inaccurate:

(1) accuracy is specified as %age of Full Scale reading (that is e.g. +/- 2 digits etc) and also %age of actual reading. The worst case of these two gives your accuracy. The resolution of the meter is always better - usually a lot better - than the accuracy. So discussing resolution is irrelevant.

(2) The accuracy specified assumes that assumes that the instrument is measuring a DC signal. If it is measuring a spiky dc signal (or a spiky ac signal) it can be inaccurate for another reason.

This is a different cause from the known problem of ac power in being higher than average of voltage * average of current, and it applies to full rms power meters, as well as to DVMs measuring dc voltages.

If the voltage (or current) in is spikey then a typical DVM will underestimate the average voltage (or current) when the peak values saturate the input amplifier. For a cheap DVM that can be when peaks is maybe 1.5X average or worst case even less. Good meters will specify crest factor above which they become inaccurate.

Without all the details you therefore cannot trust these readings from meters - since he can be driving those LEDs with a very large crest factor.

The details are storage scope traces, at multiple timebases. You need a fast one to check for high frequency spikes. You need a slow one to check for much lower frequency pulses.

You can get completely wrong readings cery easily from this sort of drive wunless you to a lot of checking.

You should also note that LED's look brighter for given average current when driven at low duty cycles (= high peak spiky waveform. techically high crest factor waveform). You can bet Rossi will optimise this for looking as bright as possible for given measured his way input.

You do not even have to believe Rossi is deliberately doing this. He has proven himself to be either a barefaced liar or totally incompetent about electrical measurement.

We know from other evidence (his transcript in the IH court case) that he is a barefaced liar.

I have no reason to think he has any understanding of how to measure ac waveforms - but that could just be because he was lying. So:

• Liar: proven
    • Incompetent at measuring waveforms: unknown and unknowable given he lies

Personally I think both are true. Just one would be enough to invalidate this "demo" given all the info we have.

THH

• Alan,

There are two factors here that can make a meter inaccurate:

(1) accuracy is specified as %age of Full Scale reading (that is e.g. +/- 2 digits etc) ,,,

As wrote before the magician uses a PS type NPS306W, the PS manual and the manufacturer's site indicate that in this case the digits to be considered are at least 3.

• As wrote before the magician uses a PS type NPS306W, the PS manual and the manufacturer's site indicate that in this case the digits to be considered are at least 3.

Yes. I should have said +/- 2 (or whatever) on LS digit - rathegr than +/- LS digits.

Anyway, you cannot draw any conclusions without at least knowing the shape of the waveforms measured - because a low duty cycle high power pulse will be undermeasured on all meters. So whatever accuracy the meter have is not relevant to the demo accuracy unless you know the driving waveform.

The NPS306W is a power supply. The built-in V and I meters on power supplies are particularly inaccurate (it is not their job to be accurate). You cannot draw any conclusions from these.

Rossi has such a consistent track record of misusing electrical measurements that I tend to think it is more than incompetence, and that deliberate deception (which we know he has done) lies behind his demos. Incompetence, and he would not always, an in spite of plentiful advice on how to tighten things up - keep on using measurement techniques that have no validity.

THH

• As wrote before the magician uses a PS type NPS306W, the PS manual and the manufacturer's site indicate that in this case the digits to be considered are at least 3.

Here you are:

DISPLAY:

Three-window digital tube display: voltage, current, power

Display Accuracy: 0.5% ± digits

Display Resolution: voltage 0.1V; current 0.01A; power 0.1W/1W

+/- digits is ambiguous - and this is the bit that matters for accuracy!

But note display resolution. As a PSU it looks like it has only one range for V & A, and resolution for that is 100mv and 10mA. Resolution on power is best case 100mW.

So even without the possible distortion from ac current waveforms this PSU cannot be used for accurate input power measurements.

It is notable that this is a high power bench PSU (30V, 6A) you cannot expect it to give accuracy at low voltages or currents.

• It seems to me that the PS unit used by magician is a four digit (three decimal numbers like X.YYY) to display the current in Amperes

and the on-site manufacturer's datasheet of the PS shows:

therefore it could be digits=4 in the formula, anyway the PS type manual I linked before about accuracy reports:

• I looked up the nps306W.

But if 3 digit then that gives:

100mV (because 30V max)

10mA (because 6A max)

1W (presumably 0.1W on a different power scale) (because 180W max)

That is consistent with the headline figures I posted.

Not that this matters - spiky waveforms will likely be read wrong.

Only Rossi could deliver such obviously rubbish measurement equipment.

THH

• Talking in general terms and not specifically about the "demo" being discussed lately, I will repeat my argument that such an "overunity" factor, were it real, would allow for a completely compelling demo by making it self loop while still having extra power for performing a task like pumping water to a certain height.

Unwillingness to perform such a convincing test, while also keeping people that offers voluntary help in the dark of key aspects, makes the whole endeavor easy to dismiss as a poorly concocted hoax.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• To the "Guest" that keep reporting posts he claims are "slandering" or "trolling", why you don't register and defend your position instead of throwing tomatoes from the peanut gallery?

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.