The Playground

• Omicron SARS-CoV-2 variant: Unique features and their impact on pre-existing antibodies

Omicron SARS-CoV-2 variant: Unique features and their impact on pre-existing antibodies
    Severe Acute Respiratory Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) has been emerging in the form of different variants since its first emergence in early December 2019…
    www.sciencedirect.com

Highlights

Phylogenetically SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant is closely related to the Gamma variant.

There are a total of 46 high prevalent mutations throughout the SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant.

Twenty three of the 46 mutations, which is more than any previously emerged variant belong to the S protein.

Twenty-three of the 46 mutations are a markedly high number of mutations than has been previously reported for the S protein of other emerging variants.

A significant number of mutations are at the antibody binding surface of S protein.

Abstract

Severe Acute Respiratory Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) has been emerging in the form of different variants since its first emergence in early December 2019. A new Variant of Concern (VOC) named the Omicron variant (B.1.1.529) was reported recently. This variant has a large number of mutations in the S protein. To date, there exists a limited information on the Omicron variant. Here we present the analyses of mutation distribution, the evolutionary relationship of Omicron with previous variants, and probable structural impact of mutations on antibody binding. Our analyses show the presence of 46 high prevalence mutations specific to Omicron. Twenty-three of these are localized within the spike (S) protein and the rest localized to the other 3 structural proteins of the virus, the envelope (E), membrane (M), and nucleocapsid (N). Phylogenetic analysis showed that the Omicron is closely related to the Gamma (P.1) variant. The structural analyses showed that several mutations are localized to the region of the S protein that is the major target of antibodies, suggesting that the mutations in the Omicron variant may affect the binding affinities of antibodies to the S protein.

We also analyzed the cryo-EM structure of an NTD-directed neutralizing antibody in complex with prefusion SARS-CoV-2 spike glycoprotein (PDB entry 7L2D) [15]. We selected this structure because the RMSD between Cα atoms of the antibody binding domain of this structure and corresponding Cα atoms of the S protein encoded by currently used Pfizer vaccine BNT162b2 (PDB entry 7L7K) [16] was 1.8 Å. It is important to note that the BNT162b2-encoded S protein structure does not include the bound antibody. As shown in Fig. 2C, Y145 forms hydrophobic interactions with antibody residues A97 and V98. A deletion mutation (Y145del), as seen in the Omicron variant, will result in the loss of these interactions and thereby reduce the binding affinity of the appropriate antibodies. Notably, Y145del is in close vicinity of positions where some signature mutations in Delta and Delta Plus have been reported [4].

In summary, in this report, we show that the Omicron variant has many mutations in the S protein. These mutations co-evolved with the mutations throughout the viral genome at a very high prevalence and the Omicron variant is closely related to the Gamma variant. The structural analyses suggest that the uniquely positioned mutations in the Omicron variant may reduce the binding of antibodies present in an individual induced by either prior infection or following vaccination against the SARS-CoV-2 virus. However, our structural analyses were restricted to monoclonal antibodies and their impact on polyclonal antibodies remains to be analyzed.

• More insanity, you just can't make this crap up!

Mail carrier sent home for wearing N95 instead of cloth mask: 'I thought it was a joke'

https://komonews.com/amp/news/coronavirus/mail-carrier-sent-home-for-wearing-n95-mask-i-thought-it-was-a-joke-canada-post-worker-corey-gallagher-cloth-ottawa-winnipeg-covid-coronavirus-omicron

OTTAWA, Canada (TND) — A mail carrier who works for the Canada Post reportedly says he was sent home because, instead of wearing a cloth mask or a company-provided mask, he wore an N95 mask, which is said to offer more protection against the coronavirus.OTTAWA, Canada (TND) — A mail carrier who works for the Canada Post reportedly says he was sent home because, instead of wearing a cloth mask or a company-provided mask, he wore an N95 mask, which is said to offer more protection against the coronavirus.

Corey Gallagher has worked for the mail company for almost 15 years and had just come back from holiday Monday when he started to receive pushback by management on his choice of mask.

Right away a supervisor came up to me and told me I can't wear that mask," said Gallagher to CTV News. "I didn't really understand, I thought it was a joke at first, like 'Why can't I wear this when the ones you are providing are cloth.'

Gallager reportedly declined to change his mask and went about his work sorting mail. Several supervisors reportedly approached Gallagher during his workday and asked him if he needed a mask, telling him he couldn't wear the one he had on.

I still didn't change my mask, went about my day, just kind of ignored it. Went out, delivered my mail, came back and then it was the same thing, only this time it was the head superintendent saying I can't," Gallagher told CTV News.

On the next day, Tuesday, when Gallagher showed up to work with the same mask on, he was told to leave

The Winnipeg Free Press reports Gallagher has a pregnant, immunocompromised wife along with a child who is too young to get vaccinated, so he bought the N95 masks from a medical supplier to ensure he keeps COVID-19 out of his home.

I’m just a little frustrated at how behind the company is," Gallagher said to the Winnipeg Free Press.

Health experts have been suggesting for a while extra protection against COVID-19 is needed in face of the omicron variant. Speaking with CNN News, one medical analyst says cloth masks are almost worthless.

Cloth masks are little more than facial decorations. There's no place for them in light of omicron," medical analyst Dr. Leana Wen told CNN in December.

Wen is an emergency physician and visiting professor of health policy and management at the George Washington University Milken Institute School of Public Health.

Both CTV News and the Winnipeg Free Press contacted Canada Post about Gallagher's dismissal. A spokesperson for Canada Post says it follows Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) recommendations and therefore requires employees to wear the provided masks.

The company fully supports these guidelines and therefore requires all employees to wear a Canada Post-supplied face covering, which is either a reusable cloth face covering or a disposable medical mask," a spokesperson says, according to CTV News.

"PHAC recommends the use of non-medical masks made of at least two layers of woven fabric with a third middle layer of filter-type fabric, for adequate protection," Canada Post spokeswoman Valérie Chartrand says in her statement, according to the Winnipeg Free Press. "The company also follows the directive received from Employment and Social Development Canada, which requires employees to wear face coverings supplied by Canada Post to ensure they meet the PHAC requirements."

In short summation, Gallagher can't wear his N95 mask because it was not supplied to him by his company. Chartrand confirmed with the Winnipeg Free Press all staff must wear either of the provided masks, the reusable cloth masks or the disposable medical ones.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers is reportedly aware of this and is concerned, saying an update is needed urgently.

"CUPW is aware and concerned that Canada Post Corporation is refusing to allow some workers to wear N95 masks at work," CUPW national president Jan Simpson wrote, according to the Winnipeg Free Press. "Research on the new Omicron variant has established it is more transmissible through shared air than earlier variants. N95s offer more effective protection because they filter out more particles in the air than medical or cloth masks... As COVID-19 continues to spread rapidly, Canada Post Corporation should be doing everything in its power to protect postal workers, who continue to help people stay home and stay safe."

Meanwhile, Gallagher tells CTV News he will be using his personal days and staying home until he is either allowed to wear his N95 mask or given a better reason why he can't wear his more protective mask.

• On mandates and politics

In the UK medical policy is devolved.

The right-wing Johnson government has mandates in place for NHS and care staff. The left-wing (in American Terms they are liberal and possibly close to communist since anyone to the left of Maggie Thatcher seems to be called that) administrations in Scotland and Wales do NOT have vaccine mandates.

Mandates to keep jobs are a big deal, and not wanted by the care sector, nor by much of the NHS, but not from libertarian principles. Purely as a matter of practicaility - DO THEY HELP:

(1) in both sectors we currently have unfillable vacancies, pushing even a small number of people away is problematic

(2) proper testing (every day) is needed anyway (vaccines don't stop infcetion) and pretty good at stopping spread

(3) mandating vaccines pushes people who might be persuaded into a definite position and can be counterproductive,

However in France vaccine requirements to do certain things have certainly pushed up vaccination rate, reduced deaths and hospital overload.

THH

• Don't think so. To my knowledge no-one here claims to be an expert on COVID except perhaps W, who definitely thinks he knows better than all other scientists, and FM1, who sometimes implies that.

Anyway your quote I think does not come from them.

THH

Actually Thomas, I follow the science whereas your continual criticism of early treatment studies leads one to believe that you are anti science!

• first hand , they send you home, call in meds "over doing it",or no mrds= and wait.

the system pays for everything from the slush ...

die and your estate will see the bills

lf not, -will stop your followup "will not pay" as 'not needed' waiting for the overdoing it meds

but they will call you from time to time. just to check up on you.~

• Actually Thomas, I follow the science whereas your continual criticism of early treatment studies leads one to believe that you are anti science!

Actually my heart sinks when I see 'I follow the science'. Think about it, you might as well say 'I follow the politics' In both cases it's a case of 'what science, what politics?'. 'Alchemy? Stalinism?

'We follow the science' was and is a UK political claim. In their case making sure there's someone else they can blame for every snafu,

• More insanity, you just can't make this crap up!

Mail carrier sent home for wearing N95 instead of cloth mask: 'I thought it was a joke'

Interestingly - cloth might protect others, and hence reduce spread, better than N95.

If the NP5 has an exhalation valve (pretty horrible for all day wear without) this will allow virus out without anything stopping it.

It will however protect the wearer well.

THH

• Actually my heart sinks when I see 'I follow the science'. Think about it, you might as well say 'I follow the politics' In both cases it's a case of 'what science, what politics?'. 'Alchemy? Stalinism?

'We follow the science' was and is a UK political claim. In their case making sure there's someone else they can blame for every snafu,

Thanks for the reminder but don't forget it's a two way street

• This is from the CDC guidelines on N95

Yes, an N95 filtering facepiece respirator will protect you and provide source control to protect others. A NIOSH-approved N95 filtering facepiece respirator with an exhalation valve offers the same protection to the wearer as one that does not have a valve. As source control, findings from NIOSH research suggest that, even without covering the valve, N95 respirators with exhalation valves provide the same or better source control than surgical masks, procedure masks, cloth masks, or fabric coverings. In general, individuals wearing NIOSH-approved N95s with an exhalation valve should not be asked to use one without an exhalation valve or to cover it with a face covering or mask. However, NIOSH-approved N95 respirators with an exhalation valve are not fluid resistant. Therefore, in situations where a fluid resistant respirator is indicated (e.g., in surgical settings), individuals should wear a surgical N95 or, if a surgical N95 is not available, cover their respirator with a surgical mask or a face shield. Be careful not to compromise the fit of the respirator when placing a facemask over the respirator

• And the insanity continues!

Proposed California Bill: Children Aged 12 & Up Could Get COVID-19 Vaccine without Parental Knowledge

Proposed California Bill: Children Aged 12 & Up Could Get COVID-19 Vaccine without Parental Knowledge
    Soon, California kids aged 12 and up could receive a COVID-19 vaccine without even telling their parents if a new legislative bill is successful. Sen.
    trialsitenews.com

Soon, California kids aged 12 and up could receive a COVID-19 vaccine without even telling their parents if a new legislative bill is successful. Sen. Scott Weiner (D: San Francisco) introduced Senate Bill 866 recently to enable this controversial option, one which many would consider a blatant state-level intrusion into family life.

The law would allow children 12 and up to be vaccinated against COVID-19, and without the knowledge or consent of their own parents. According to the Democratic senator, this bill simply aligns with existing law allowing people as young as age 12 to make reproductive healthcare decisions, such as obtaining the human papillomavirus and hepatitis B vaccines.

So, if this law passed, children, again many as young as 12, could access already available “pop up” vaccination centers situated at schools, for example, without even a need to inform their parents.

Controversial to say the least, the introduction will undoubtedly lead to intense debate in Sacramento. Yet Sen. Weiner is adamant declaring upon his announcement of the bill, “This is about empowering teenagers to make their own decisions on their own health and their own safety.”

Subscribe to the Trialsitenews "COVID-19" Channel

No spam - we promise

Email address

TrialSite suggests this bill could lead to a backlash as probably a majority want to keep such decisions away from the state [e.g., government], and in the hands of parents and the family.

TrialSite shares a link to the proposed California Senate bill here.

Bill Text - SB-866 Minors: vaccine consent.

• The Case Against Mandatory Vaccination: The Royal College of General Practitioners

The Case Against Mandatory Vaccination: The Royal College of General Practitioners
    A professional body for general practitioners (physicians) in the United Kingdom, the Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP) represents general
    trialsitenews.com

A professional body for general practitioners (physicians) in the United Kingdom, the Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP) represents general practitioners (GPs) on key issues from licensing and education to research and clinical standards and happens to be one of the largest of the medical royal colleges in Britain with over 50,000 members. Full vaccination becomes compulsory for frontline National Health System (NHS) workers starting April 1 after the legislation was passed by MPs in the UK in December. A month before that legislation was passed, the RCGP, while acknowledging the importance of the COVID-19 vaccination program, declared its opposition to any such enforced procedure targeting NHS staff. The RCGP knows all too well that “enforced interventions” only lead to more resentment and mistrust among the public, not to mention health care staff, and hence, their public stance against such a harsh and intrusive rule. Now just recently, a document drafted by the UK’s Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) casts doubt on the rationale underlying the mandate.

Britain’s Largest Physicians Society Says ‘No’ to Mandates

In a declaration by the RCGP chair, Martin Marshall emphasized the importance of “informed and educated choices” as of greater benefit to society over the long run than “enforced interventions.”

The RCGP understands that such draconian measures only lead to resentment and ultimately even less trust in public health and medicine generally. Of course, such policies can and do exacerbate staff shortages. According to Marshall:

“The move to mandatory vaccination is particularly concerning at a time when we need as many people as possible working in general practice and across the health and care sectors delivering essential patient care and services. We can ill afford to risk losing staff with personal objections to the vaccine, however unfounded those objections may be, and we are unlikely to be in a better position with workforce pressures come next April.”

The Mandate Rebellion?

Trouble now brews in the mandate pot as according to The Guardian, a document drafted by officials within the UK’s DHSC suggests that the evidence that justified a legislated mandate has now materially changed with the Omicron variant of concern. As this pathogen more easily evades vaccination, NHS front line workers are forced to get a vaccine only to get infected by SARS-CoV-2 anyway.

The Guardian reported that the document’s authors note that the basis for the NHS mandate weakens given “The effectiveness of only two vaccine doses against Omicron, and the lower likelihood of hepatizations from the milder variant.”

Presently up to 70,000 NHS health care staff (4.9% of the total) could be unvaccinated by the April 1 due date according to DHSC document. Already, NHS trusts in England are in the process of drafting dismissal letters to staff starting February 3 to those who refuse to obey the enforced vaccinations.

Doing the Right Thing: RCGP

The RCGP understands the importance of medical choice in an open, free democratic society. That is why they openly responded to the UK government’s decision to force mandatory vaccination on NHS staff. In the United States, many medical societies have simply lined up with government, large health systems, and industry in the drive to enforce vaccination procedures, to the detriment very of vital principles of medical choice

RCGP opposes mandatory Covid-19 vaccination for NHS workers

• Water cannon, tear gas at COVID-19 protests in Brussels

Water cannon, tear gas at COVID-19 protests in Brussels
    BRUSSELS (AP) — Police fired water cannons and thick clouds of tear gas in Brussels on Sunday to disperse demonstrators protesting against COVID-19…
    apnews.com

BRUSSELS (AP) — Police fired water cannons and thick clouds of tear gas in Brussels on Sunday to disperse demonstrators protesting against COVID-19 vaccinations and restrictions that aim to curb the fast-spreading omicron variant.

The protest drew thousands of people, some traveling from France, Germany and other countries to take part. Protesters yelled “Liberty!” as they marched. Demonstrators also marched in Barcelona.

The protests followed demonstrations in other European capitals on Saturday that also drew thousands of protesters against vaccine passports and other requirements that European governments have imposed as the omicron variant causes surging daily coronavirus infections and hospitalisations.

In Brussels, white-helmeted police riot officers repeatedly charged after protesters who ignored instructions to disperse. Police water cannon trucks fired powerful jets and snaking trails of gas filled the air in the Belgian capital.

A protest leader broadcasting over a loudspeaker yelled, “Come on people! Don’t let them take away your rights” as police officers faced off against demonstrators who hurled projectiles and insults.

“Go to hell!” shouted one protester wearing a fake knight’s helmet with a colorful quiff.

Some protesters harassed a video team covering the march for The Associated Press, pushing and threatening the journalists and damaging their video equipment. One protester kicked one of the journalists and another tried to punch him.

In downtown Barcelona, protesters wore costumes and waved banners reading “It’s not a pandemic, it’s a dictatorship,” as they marched against against restrictions imposed by both national and regional authorities to curb a surge in COVID-19 cases fueled by the omicron variant.

Participants included people rejecting vaccines and those who deny the existence or gravity of the virus that causes COVID-19. Few donned face masks, which are currently mandatory outdoors in Spain. Police said 1,100 people attended the demonstration.

Spain, a country of 47 million, has officially recorded over 9 million coronavirus cases, although the real number is believed to be much higher. Nearly 92,000 people have died in Spain since the beginning of the pandemic.

With over 80% of Spain’s residents vaccinated, experts and authorities have credited the shots for having saved numerous lives and the total collapse of its public health system.

• Austria’s Vaccine Mandate: First, Not Last, in Europe

Austria’s Vaccine Mandate: First, Not Last, in Europe
    Austria became European Union nation to mandate COVID-19 vaccination for all its citizens over 18-years-old. Starting February 1 all Austrians must take
    trialsitenews.com

Austria became European Union nation to mandate COVID-19 vaccination for all its citizens over 18-years-old.

Starting February 1 all Austrians must take the coronavirus shot or face fines. The government announced it will wage a public information campaign to urge people to get vaccinated until March 15after which Austrian police will begin checking vaccine status in what are being called “routine controls.”

Austria to fine unvaccinated $685 – $4,000

Fines of $685 will be levied against anyone who cannot show proof of vaccination. Those who refuse vaccination will be fined $4000.

Exemptions will be offered to pregnant women, people with a valid medical excuse and individuals who have recovered from the virus in the previous six months.

A majority of the Austrian parliament’s lower house voted for the mandate. Members of Austria’s right wing Freedom Party opposed the new ruling.

“This is how we can manage to escape the cycle of opening and closing, of lockdowns,” Austrian Health Minister Wolfgang Mückstein told his country’s parliament Thursday.

Austria’s Freedom Party Calls Mandate Totalitarianism

But Freedom Party leader Herbert Kickl claimed the mandate “paves the way for totalitarianism”. His statement was met with accusations that Kickl was “dividing the society”.

Seventy-two percent of Austrians have been vaccinated and the country of nine million has reported over 1.5 million cases of coronavirus with almost 14,000 deaths.

The Austrian mandate was proposed in December then followed by protests on the streets of Vienna.

Austria Leads Vanguard of European Vaccine Mandates

Other countries in Europe and the world are likely to follow Austria’s example with their own mandatory vaccination rules and fines. Greece, this week, imposed vaccine mandates on people 60 and over and next month Italy will mandate vaccines for people 50 and older. Both countries plan to levy fines against unvaccinated people. Greece intends to charge unvaccinated people $113 per month and non-compliant Italians may be suspended from work. In Canadian province of Quebec is considering a plan to require people take the first dose of the COVID vaccine or face a “significant financial penalty.”

Amnesty International and WHO Warn Against Discriminatory Vaccine Mandates

Human rights groups such as Amnesty International have warned that overly restrictive mandates https://www.amnesty.org/en/lat…-halt-covid-vaccine-pass/ needlessly infringe upon civil liberties. Civil unrest in Europe increased in the wake of earlier COVID lockdowns around the continent. The Austrian Freedom party’s claimed that the nation, which has long striven to discard its 19th century legacy of fascism, is returning to totalitarianism.

Despite the imposition of mandates and fees for unvaccinated people across Europe, The Washington Post quoted a statement by the European branch of the World Health Organization (WHO) in which the global health agency said it does not “recommend distinguishing between vaccinated and unvaccinated groups because that will go further in terms of exacerbating inequities in the population

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/austria-becomes-1st-eu-country-to-make-covid-19-vaccine-mandatory/2481489

• As of January 6, breakthrough cases had increased 78.8% since November, breakthrough hospitalizations have increased by 60.0% since November and breakthrough deaths have increased by 54.6% since November.

Here at this very point where vaccinated deaths outnumber unvaxx death Switzerland did stop to produce the death report. To damaging for vaccine sellers now.... So we just joined the world wide cheaters like DE/FR/NL/US,...

• Austria’s Vaccine Mandate: First, Not Last, in Europe So was Sebastian's Kurz stance against vaccination the actual reason why this chancellor has been cancelled? Compare the Official EU directive from January 2021:

7.3.1 ensure that citizens are informed that the vaccination is not mandatory and that no one is under political, social or other pressure to be vaccinated if they do not wish to do so

Austrians are sheeple, Hitler already knew about it, so that they were chosen as a precedent. EU documents aren't apparently worth of server storage space and they're ignored by EU officials themselves. After all, EU countries should debate mandatory vaccination, says von der Leyen

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.