The Playground

• You really should stop calling anyone that disagrees names or insinuate they are part of a delusional "cult". It is quite insulting to be honest. Not only that, you are one of those trolls that thinks he is right in everything and debates everyone and everything and then calls names to those that do not agree fully participating in the pressure to make people shut up expressing their thoughts. Please stop your rhetoric!

Edo - I am not going to take lessons on politeness from someone who calls me a troll on no evidence.

It is more than quite insulting that here many people - with delusional views - claim that most of the scientists around the world are engaged in a conspiracy to kill children for finanacial gain.

That is precisely what half the posters on this thread are claiming. Maybe they say it in coded ways.

This is the playground, where we can call a spade a spade. You think I am a troll. Which given that I care about content more than insults, and have proven that again and again with substantail content here, is weird. I think you are seriously biassed.

As for me thinking i know better than everyone else, you are just saying that. You have zero evidence. I think I know better than the antivaxxers here who parrot anti-science memes and don't bother to to any basic credibility research. I will refrain from calling it a cult which I agree does not quite fit - I was reacting to FMq1s language.

It is a bit rich you saying I think I am right in everything. The antivaxxers here make certain statements in zero evidence. All I do is to assert that there is uncertainty and complexity.

I do not know what is your evaluation of all the anti-science stuff posted here. I'd like to hear it, and will argue with you if I think you are missing things.

You seem to live in some world of post-modern relativism where every viewpoint is equally valid and it is trolling to call out those pushing poisonous and (not so much now - but earlier in the pandemic) deadly lies, claiming they know better than all of the scientists working on vaccine regulation, that have increased death over the pandemic.

That is not the same as decisions (to lock down or not, etc) made in good faith and where the best course of action is a judgement call. I'm happy for anyone to argue that lockdowns have overall been more harmful to society than if we had toughed it out and let more people die immediately. It is an arguable viewpoint. I'm not happy when people claim that covid is caused by 5G, glyphosphate (Seneff), Gates, or that the vaccines sterilise men, women etc. Nor the lite versions of those memes (spike protein poisons you more from vaccines than from covid) which seem more reasonable but are equally based on no evidence.

Nor the repetition of statistics claiming strongly that vaccination increases absolute risk of death, affects immune system adversely, increases risk of infection, etc, when nobody who understood stats would agree with those conclusions and in fact the best collation of evidence strongly says the reverse. That is not me saying I know better than antivaxxers here. It is me posting data scientists or others who give fair (not one-sided) and detailed examinations of those same statistics.

And that is trolling...

God help me what has this world come to. Seems LF on this thread is supporting Trumpian/Johnsonian post-fact "if I say it - it must be true and anything contrary is fake news" logic.

:)

THH

• All I read is "antivaxxer" whatever that means to you, It is still insulting and offensive and implies you know best.... Says more about you than me! You must have been appointed by a higher being playing the role of arbiter..... I guess I did not get the memo.

• All I read is "antivaxxer" whatever that means to you, It is still insulting and offensive and implies you know best

Suppose I substitute flat-earther for antivaxxer. Do you apply the same "offensive because you imply you know best" philosophy to my saying flat-earthers are wrong?

In that case I do not know of any obvious ways in which flat-earth contrafactuals are likely to harm people, so I do not feel so strongly.

I have defined antivaxxer on this thread: it is people who propagate multiple different baseless hypotheses claiming vaccines are a lot more dangerous, or a lot less effective, than they actually are. Obviously vaccines can be ineffective, and can be dangerous. So it is the same people propagating multiple different ideas all provably wrong (or unevidenced) and unified only by an anti-vaccine agenda.

That is turning science into politics where arguments that sound good are selected regardless of accuracy in support of a position, rather than science where the arguments matter and the conclusion comes from their correctness and totality.

I don't understand why anyone on this thread would find the word antivaxxer offensive - unless they were one.

• Bad news for Paxlovid? Coronavirus can find multiple ways to evade COVID-19 drug

Lab studies identify resistance mutations in SARS-CoV-2’s protease, and some circulating variants have them

Science | AAAS

Prescriptions for Pfizer’s blockbuster drug Paxlovid have skyrocketed in recent weeks. That’s good news for many COVID-19 patients, as the pill has been proven to reduce severe disease from SARS-CoV-2 infections. But a bevy of new lab studies shows the coronavirus can mutate in ways that make it less susceptible to the drug, by far the most widely used of the two oral antiviral drugs authorized to treat COVID-19 in the United States. Researchers have found some of those mutations in variants already circulating in infected people, raising fresh concerns that physicians could soon lose one of their best therapies for fighting COVID-19.

However, the recent studies suggest the virus is poised to develop resistance—a fate that befalls many antiviral drugs. Two preprints posted on bioRxiv on 7 June, for example, show that SARS-coV-2 grown in the lab quickly gains the ability to avoid nirmatrelvir’s attack. Two research groups independently cultured the coronavirus with low levels of nirmatrelvir, killing some but not all of the virus. Such tests are meant to simulate what might happen in an infected person who doesn’t take the whole regimen of the drug or an immunocompromised patient who has trouble clearing the virus.

One of those studies, led by Dirk Jochmans, a virologist at KU Leuven in Belgium, found that after 12 rounds of nirmatrelvir treatment, SARS-CoV-2 accumulated three mutations—at positions 50, 166, and 167 in the string of amino acids that make up Mpro—that reduced the virus’ susceptibility to nirmatrelvir 20-fold, as determined by the dose of drug required to kill half the virus in a sample. The other study, led by Judith Margarete Gottwein, an virologist at the University of Copenhagen, also spotted potential resistance-conferring mutations at positions 50 and 166 in Mpro . When those mutations occurred together, the virus was 80 times less susceptible to nirmatrelvir. “This tells us what mutations we should be looking for [in patients],” Gottwein says.

• You flipped out when he called you a troll. Now do you understand?

• I am not an antivaxxer at all, but I do know that vaccines are no better than the people who make them. While working as a very young and junior bacteriological lab technician during a previous UK scare (smallpox) I became very aware that political expediency does sometimes override medical prudence. I recollect that at least one batch of vaccine was released despite not meeting the required standard.

• I am not an antivaxxer at all, but I do know that vaccines are no better than the people who make them. While working as a very young and junior bacteriological lab technician during a previous UK scare (smallpox) I became very aware that political expediency does sometimes override medical prudence. I recollect that at least one batch of vaccine was released despite not meeting the required standard.

Indeed Alan, and at the risk of being boring I could point out that I have never called you one. Not sure why those here that are that are so sensitive. They must presumably think that rhetoric matters more than fact, since that is what they do.

political expediency does sometimes override medical prudence

Yes, it is a shame it seems impossible to discuss the real trade-offs and risks here because when you look on the internet one "side" is all this contra-factual antivaxxer stuff - so no-one bothers to look at the mainstream voices raising genuine concerns.

• As far as I understand it, the people you are referring to are anti *COVID* vaccines, so I suppose anti-covidvaxxer would be more accurate/appropriate...until at least the next pandemic of course.

It is a good point. I think there are three levels:

1. Anti-Covid

2. Anti-mRNA technology

3. Anti-vaccine

I notice though that there is not much 1. that is not also 2. at least.

I can understand scientific distrust of emergency vaccines - until they have been so well tested in real world with billions of recipients and 10s of different regulators looking carefully at consequences.

My reason at that time for preferring vaccine unknowns to covid unknowns is that they were mostly similar, but on all evidence the covid ones larger. That remains true.

• I can understand scientific distrust of emergency vaccines - until they have been so well tested in real world with billions of recipients and 10s of different regulators looking carefully at consequences.

That's why we like our clown. Some 100'000 died of Covid due to Pfizer induced immune suppression during the first 14 days after the shot = "world wide testing" = very good testing.

Unluckily Pfizer /Moderna themselves found more deaths in the " fake RNA vaccine" group than in the placebo group.6 months report phase III study.

So RNA therapy simply is world wide mass murder. Unluckily with a Russian roulette selection rule. RNA therapy also widely fails in cancer chemo therapy because it is very narrow banded and already a tiny mutation makes it useless...

RNA boosters do not work for Omicron BA.5. If you take it, your chance to end up in hospital is 200..300% larger than before...This is known from Swiss real-time data.

• I don't understand why anyone on this thread would find the word antivaxxer offensive - unless they were one.

Calling someone anti-anything is a way of perpetuating polarization, stifling constructive dialogue, shutting down honest investigation, promoting discrimination, boosting one's own ego, reinforcing divisive rhetoric, and reducing a complex and nuanced issue to a simple black and white dumbed down version of some truth or opinion.

It is important to listen and investigate all sides of any issue and not reduce complexity down to sound bites.

Simple things in life are things like light switches - they are either on or off. But when people say "the vaccines are safe and effective and to say otherwise makes you an anti-vaxxer". Hopefully everyone here would agree that safety is not an on or off thing like a switch - it is extremely complex. Effectiveness is not an on or off thing like a switch - There are ranges of effectiveness.

It is amazing how arrogant many people have become armed only with their sound bite truths.

• The Illegal Crusade Against Ivermectin

The FDA overstepped its authority, argues Dr. Ben Carson and C. Boyden Gray.

The Illegal Crusade Against Ivermectin - The Stream
    The FDA has overstepped its authority in its war against Ivermectin, argues brain surgeon and former HHS Secretary Ben Carson and former White House counselor…
    stream.org

FDA Oversteps Its Authority … Again.

Because ivermectin is fully approved by the FDA for human use — not simply granted emergency use authorization — the agency has no grounds for warning against or trying to prevent its use to treat COVID-19. But the FDA has done so repeatedly, mounting a relentless campaign to deride a pivotal human drug as a horse de-wormer and pressure health professionals and the public to eschew its use.

This violates both fundamental ethics and the law. Congress was clear in the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act that the FDA could not interfere in the practice of medicine, which includes prescribing drugs off-label. Yet the agency has forged ahead undeterred, discouraging — and, in the eyes of the public, banning — use of ivermectin. In a display of insatiable arrogance, the FDA has refused to be satisfied with its authority over market entry and labeling, and instead tried to commandeer the role of doctors in treating their patients as well.

• Weekly Swiss update: Small increase (20% for one week) in cases. But fewer cases in ICU with and not due to Omicron. But some more deaths with Omicron mainly at age > 60 and dominant age > 80.

What shines out:: The ratio 6::1 vaxx::unvaxx in hospitals increases. This clearly points to immune suppression = negative "vaccine" protection. Israel sees the same.

A supersonic airliner that flies at three times the speed of sound – and runs on nuclear fusion. Stephen Dowling investigates the challenges of making airliners run on...

atomic power.

Even if such reactors prove to be practical, and can generate the cheap, clean energy promised, that is only the beginning of the puzzle.

“The challenge then is making it very small and very lightweight,” says Weeks.

Making a portable nuclear fusion reactor that generates enough energy to power an aircraft – a supersonic aircraft, in the case of Vinals’ design – is a far greater challenge than building an airliner that could travel at three times the speed of sound, says Weeks. - end quotes

Could this be the first nuclear-powered airliner?
    A supersonic airliner that flies at three times the speed of sound – and runs on nuclear fusion. Stephen Dowling investigates the challenges of making…
    www.bbc.com

• Of interest as relevant arts of scientific study. These are offered by Air Force Research Laboratories AFRL. I list two of particular interest to the atomic and solid state physics of CMNS.

LINK

AFRL Scholars Program
    AFRL Research Topics
    afrlscholars.usra.edu

The AFRL STEM Workforce Development Program Portfolio is administered by Universities Space Research Association (USRA). USRA’s team is dedicated to ensuring quality programs are offered at all supported sites and that scholars and mentors have a fulfilling, worthwhile experience that promotes

Scholars are encouraged to contact any mentors whose projects they find of interest. To contact the mentor, use the link included at the conclusion of each project description.

Effects of Light Interaction and Defects on Photo-Transport Properties in Quantum Wells and Superlattices

Mentor: DANHONG HUANG, Space Vehicles

Academic Level: Masters, Ph.D.

[1] Light-electron interaction and optical response of semiconductors;

[2] Effect of electron scattering on transport in semiconductors;

[3] Controlling propagation of electromagnetic waves in conducting materials;

[4] Coupling of lattice vibrations and electron transport;

Also

Precision Magnetic Traps for Atomic Physics

Mentor: Brian Kasch, Space Vehicles

Academic Level: Masters, Ph.D.

Controlled magnetic fields are critical to the operation of confined atom interferometers, and associated inertial sensors. This project involves further developing in-house capabilities for laser etching so-called 'atom chips'. We use inexpensive DBC substrates: aluminum nitride with a layer of copper bonded to each face. By laser cutting specific wire shapes into the copper, we can create well-controlled magnetic fields simply by varying the applied currents. These chips already enable a variety of experiments involving ultracold atoms, and were used to create a Bose-Einstein condensate. Our goal is to progress to more advanced structures and processes, carefully characterize the laser mill cuts, and reduce the need for post-processing due to trace defects.

• Research in Space

Open Access

Published: 04 January 2021

The Bose-Einstein Condensate and Cold Atom Laboratory

Authors

Kai Frye, Sven Abend, Wolfgang Bartosch, Ahmad Bawamia, Dennis Becker, Holger Blume, Claus Braxmaier, Sheng-Wey Chiow, Maxim A. Efremov, Wolfgang Ertmer, Peter Fierlinger, Tobias Franz, Naceur Gaaloul, Jens Grosse, Christoph Grzeschik, Ortwin Hellmig, Victoria A. Henderson, Waldemar Herr, Ulf Israelsson, James Kohel, Markus Krutzik, Christian Kürbis, Claus Lämmerzahl, Meike List, Daniel Lüdtke, Nathan Lundblad, J. Pierre Marburger, Matthias Meister, Moritz Mihm, Holger Müller, Hauke Müntinga, Ayush M. Nepal, Tim Oberschulte, Alexandros Papakonstantinou, Jaka Perovs̆ek, Achim Peters, Arnau Prat, Ernst M. Rasel, Albert Roura, Matteo Sbroscia, Wolfgang P. Schleich, Christian Schubert, Stephan T. Seidel, Jan Sommer, Christian Spindeldreier, Dan Stamper-Kurn, Benjamin K. Stuhl, Marvin Warner, Thijs Wendrich, André Wenzlawski, Andreas Wicht, Patrick Windpassinger, Nan Yu & Lisa Wörner

DOI

The Bose-Einstein Condensate and Cold Atom Laboratory - EPJ Quantum Technology
    Microgravity eases several constraints limiting experiments with ultracold and condensed atoms on ground. It enables extended times of flight without…
    doi.org

EPJ Quantum Technology volume 8, Article number: 1 (2021)

The Bose-Einstein Condensate and Cold Atom Laboratory | EPJ Quantum Technology

• FDA to authorize Novavax's Covid-19 vaccine

FDA to authorize Novavax's Covid-19 vaccine - POLITICO

The Food and Drug Administration is expected to authorize Novavax’s coronavirus vaccine for emergency use as early as Wednesday, two people with knowledge of the matter told POLITICO.

The regulatory clearance would likely permit the two-dose vaccine to be given to adults as a primary immunization series, limiting its use in the U.S. since roughly two-thirds of people have already received their initial shots.

• Just another coincidence in a long long line of coincidence???

Where Does 'Brain Fog' Come From? New Evidence Could Solve The COVID Mystery

Where Does 'Brain Fog' Come From? New Evidence Could Solve The COVID Mystery

A small new study published Tuesday by scientists at the US National Institutes of Health suggests that the immune response triggered by coronavirus infections damages the brain's blood vessels and could be responsible for long COVID symptoms.

Vitamin D, Curcumin May Help Clear Amyloid Plaques Found In Alzheimer's Disease

Vitamin D, Curcumin May Help Clear Amyloid Plaques Found In Alzheimer's Disease
    Scientists have found that a form of vitamin D, together with a chemical found in turmeric spice called curcumin, may help stimulate the immune system to clear…
    www.sciencedaily.com

Summary:

Scientists have found that a form of vitamin D, together with a chemical found in turmeric spice called curcumin, may help stimulate the immune system to clear the brain of amyloid beta, which forms the plaques considered the hallmark of Alzheimer's disease.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.