The Playground

• BTW: I was always confused by the discussion of emissivity vs. temperature vs. radiation. To me, emissivity is a fudge factor that makes radiation and temperature approach an ideal black body. If you just make emissivity 1, then you will always underestimate temperature. You can see that if you plot the Jones data and match it to a pure t^4 curve. The emissivity will vary to make the curves match.

That was Levi's argument - sort of. "Well even if you set e = 1 you still get COP=2". But of course if you make emissivity = 1 you overestimate power output. In the Lugano case the Al2O3 gives emissivity in IR band close to 1, but total emissivity (determining output power) of only 0.5 or so. The conditions and material used just happen to maximise the errors from any assumption that emissivity seen by the camera is the same as emissivity used for power output calculation.

Abuse it and lose it.

When I had quick my opinions flagged using just the vote system (not in line with your faith) it has been considered an abuse here ?
    Great!

• Official Post

Henry.

Downvoting is not an abuse per se and you know it. However, when you never (well hardly ever) post a single scientific argument of your own to justify your torrent of downvotes then it is mere 'cat-calling' and a symptom of intellectual idleness that does become an abuse of the downvote system. It also suggests that if you cannot be bothered to post a justification for your downvote, you probably haven't bothered to read the post that offends you properly.

Having discussed this with you 1:1 at some length in a private conversation in this space, you cannot claim that this is news to you, it really is time you shaped up and justified your stance with proper scientific arguments.

it really is time you shaped up and justified your stance with proper scientific arguments.

Alan, IMO this is a wrong position. The Science (not only me) requires to the Rossi's believers give "proper scientific arguments" scientific, verifiable and independent evidences, not faith, assumptions, infinite chatters, daily speculations, guesses like I believe in, and so on...

This Forum is becoming just the house of Rossi's fans and supporters.

In private (under your test) i gave you a short example of my scientific background, so now you must show to mainstream scientific community at least one independent scientific and impeccable evidence of your claims and of Rossi's miracle. Are you in the position to do or spend your time as "warden" of skeptics?

P.S.

For your info I read the posts and I gave a lot of like (not just dislike) without the need of any "justification".

• That was Levi's argument - sort of. "Well even if you set e = 1 you still get COP=2". But of course if you make emissivity = 1 you overestimate power output. In the Lugano case the Al2O3 gives emissivity in IR band close to 1, but total emissivity (determining output power) of only 0.5 or so. The conditions and material used just happen to maximise the errors from any assumption that emissivity seen by the camera is the same as emissivity used for power output calculation.

I agree with you completely and understand the arguments. I was trying to get some value from a poor experiment. In my opinion the MFMP "reproduction" is the ONLY way to understand such a system but one needs a sensitivity analysis (basically vary a lot of runs) to see where errors can occur. Until that is done (if ever), I am still sitting on the fence if the COP >1.

I downplay calculations because of the unknown fudge factors. I look at things as follows:

You have a well-known theory that is based on first principles (select almost any theory). The theorists claim great success and win lots of prizes. The experimentalist (me) then applies that theory to real experiments and finds that the theory does not work because the theorist simplified things too much. So the experimentalist then invents fudge factors (in this case emissivity values) to make the results agree with theory. Everyone is then happy because you have a theory and results agree with the theory - except in this case the fudge factors vary with temperature and material such that the only way to get accurate results (whatever accurate is in the experimenter's mind) is to measure the fudge factors for a given system under study. Under these conditions is the theory helpful? In the case of thermography, the theory is widely used but when you have a certain system where the temperature actually matters, then you go with experimental values almost exclusively (or calibrate the system with emissivity dots, for example). Hopefully, the experimentalist is wise enough to know how his/her instruments work and take that into consideration. That is happening less and less now days as sophisticated equipment with proprietary algorithms are being employed and you trust the numbers which are given to n++ significant figures.

Lugano was such a case where stuff mattered greatly and it made one guess the experimental values because they were never measured properly. With these guessed values, the theory is then flexible enough such that you can select some fudge factors to get the data to agree with experiment and claim success. Thus, in some eyes, with a given set of values and assumptions, you see a COP=1. With other assumptions you see a COP >1. Who do you believe when both can be reasonable? Well if you were to place bets you go with the fudge factors that agree with conventional science and get on with your life. Unfortunately, that happens in many fields and thus new science remains undiscovered (more often great claims are made that have more mundane explanations).

I will continue to follow this field, and until the fence falls one way or the other, I will try to keep an open mind.

Do you want to discuss the data sets obtained before Lugano? They are more interesting to me.

• Official Post

In private (under your test) i gave you a short example of my scientific background, so now you must show to mainstream scientific community at least one independent scientific and impeccable evidence of your claims and of Rossi's miracle. Are you in the position to do or spend your time as "warden" of skeptics?

You showed me enough of your scientific smarts to make me aware that you can (if pushed) do better than 'blah blah'. Sadly, you show no inclination to do so.

• You showed me enough of your scientific smarts to make me aware that you can (if pushed) do better than 'blah blah'. Sadly, you show no inclination to do so.

Alan, what of scientific should I debate?

I read here mainly discussions of Rossi's supporters about his daily "says" and claims, none of scientific, absolutely missing of any verifiable and independent evidences like I required many, many times. An example, none of Forum believers noted the most simple data, the JMCP electric bills (the bills of the "Customer", "the famous working factory", that Rossi's miraculous machine - his "masterpiece" - promised to reduce), the bills has increased just

in coincidence with the so-called "1MW Plant, one year test" Februray 2015-end of Februrary 2016, it has not reduced. :D , before and after the one year test the "working factory" consumed and paid a lot less.

Once again another evidence that discussion here has as only objective to support Rossi and that we are in front of smoke, made like perpetual support to E-Cat hoax.

It seems that your friend from Arkansas ("the US moderator") has an aim: censure my posts or ban me. I feel incoming another "Thomas Clarke treatment".

• This Forum is becoming just the house of Rossi's fans and supporters.

I think this is a misunderstanding of the current balance of support here. This place is a refreshing oasis of skeptical thought.

For your info I read the posts and I gave a lot of like (not just dislike) without the need of any "justification".

I probably would not mind if "likes" went away, either. I did not make the "dislikes" go away this time, but I'm particularly glad that they're gone in your case. If they could be turned off just for you and one or two others, even better, but the software does not currently allow that. Perhaps a future version: at that time everyone will be able to downvote but you. One can hold out hope. You will then be forced to engage here in actual reasoned discussion (or trolling if you prefer, but that won't last long).

What we really hope to support here is reasoned argumentation on scientific topics. Arguments that proceed unemotionally to set out a case, or to tackle some possibility brought up earlier in the thread by introducing new information or considerations. People who are used to reading and participating in this type of discussion know it when they see it. I am grateful that gradually the noise is ebbing here somewhat and the signal increasing. Probably won't last long.

It seems that your friend from Arkansas ("the US moderator") has an aim: censure my posts or ban me. I feel incoming another "Thomas Clarke treatment".

His friend from Arkansas is actually from Colorado. In Colorado we are accustomed to a brutal frontier existence and deal with malefactors and miscreants without batting an eye. TC felt compelled to leave as a result of harassment from Sifferkol, unfortunately, but no one here making arguments along the lines TC used to make is in a lick of danger of being punished in any way. It's hard to see how you might arrive at this conclusion. Your own difficulties stem only from your failing to really participate here other than through downvoting, which Alan has discussed with you privately.

Are you seriously asking why the electricity bill was lower when the location was not being used?

"So daft" is your comment, dear.

You are saying now that this famous "JM Chemical Products Corp" (the location) it was not a real factory (an industry) but a dummy that exists and used just to support Rossi show.

It's really fun to read as a comic story, you are able to invent any nonsense in order to support him.

TC felt compelled to leave because of harassment by Sifferkol

Ah, and zealous LF moderators where were? Not attended promptly to stop the harassment ongoing by the believer?

This place is a refreshing oasis of skeptical thought.

Another claim: if it was/is really "an oasis of skeptical thought and of skeptics" (your definition) why TC left?

You will then be forced to engage here in actual reasoned discussion

Forced to engage? It sounds like a duress, I will discuss with you when you give the due scientific evidences as required, starting from Rossi's claims.

In Colorado we are used to a frontier life and brutal agreement with evil-doers and criminals without flinching.

Probably it was better to stay in Arkansas, if this is the situation at your country.

It seems you live in the wild west, a land under control of criminality. I'm more lucky because I live in a civil place.

• Henry, They're just saying up your game. Provide references (something I was called on) This is not ECW, they allow complete scepticism of Rossi here. I do not remember me being censored. Remember Tyy? He had zero content just "ya all foolz" if he just said why he would probably still be here. I rarely downvote, when I do it is because of lack of content or just a raw insult. I upvote to let someone who is addressing me that I saw their response comment to me. If I hit an upvote and I am not in the convo it is due the the value of the words and its appeal to logic. Alan has had to moderate (do the heavy lifting) now Eric is as well. From my dealing with Eric he consistent and logical. You are really picking the wrong fight IMHO. I also agree with you on the downvotes BTW. but (LARGE BUT) make a salient point when doing so. Another way to look at it. Now that the downvote is gone, to "verbal downvote" you are required to post a comment (w/ references) and deal with the question directly. So you still can express your opinions.

• Zeus46 wrote: "

Thomas Clarke never wrote anything so daft as what you did above. Are
    you seriously asking why the electricity bill was lower when the
    location was not being used?"

Zeus - I can not follow who or what you are quoting it dropped off, please specify. -thx

• Eric, TC did not just leave this forum. What happened to him caused him to drop out across the board (reference: all his disqus history stops cold from this point on multiple boards) This is what happens when the "What is your real name or your argument" people crash into someones real life, then the miscreant starts harassing you IRL at your place of employment.

• Ah, and zealous LF moderators where were? Not attended promptly to stop the harassment ongoing by the believer?

Alan was largely working on his own and had his hands more than full. The ethos here was much more laissez faire at the time, so there wasn't any precedent to go with. We will not allow that kind of altercation to get very far in the future.

Probably it was better to stay in Arkansas, if this is the situation at your country. It seems you live in the wild west, a land under control criminality.

We are barbarians in the US. There was a movie that was made about us several years ago which I recommend.

So you still can express your opinions.

Well Rigel, but opinions doesn't mean chatter based on faith or replaced by gossip about the daily "says" on jonp of the "inventor".

Just to start and to stay on ground where are the scientific, verifiable and independent evidences about and after ten years of Rossi's claims and promises?

We are barbarians in the US.

I'm sorry, the native americans (they lived there before white men invasion) were much better.

Alan was largely working on his own and had his hands more than full, and the ethos was much more laissez faire, so there wasn't any precedent to go with. That whole altercation would not last long now.

If there is a skeptic instead of Sifferkol... from Platoon movie: Excuses are like the "mouth", everybody got one.

Oh henry, I liked Eric's post

Oh rigel, your last comment is just a like to Eric's post (you could still use the upvote) :) but the discussion where is?

It does not matter...

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.